Author Topic: Is There Any Point to Being Old?  (Read 16644 times)

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
Re: Is There Any Point to Being Old?
« Reply #75 on: October 10, 2017, 09:32:36 PM »
True

I wouldn't change where I am at now, with any age..  but ask me in 10 years, I may have a different answer

We're both about the same age (55) I'm happy with where I'm at physically and financially. The only thing I own on are my houses.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #76 on: October 10, 2017, 09:40:01 PM »
We're both about the same age (55) I'm happy with where I'm at physically and financially. The only thing I own on are my houses.

owe on or own?

I've been fortunate. I played the market for a couple years with my Deferred comp and made great returns.That allowed me to buy 5 years more service credit and have some fun money if I need it.  My retirement is enough that I can live comfortably, my investments, (mostly luck) are allowing me to buy the toys and do the traveling I put off for most of my career. I certainly can't complain.    I have often thought, wouldn't it be nice to go back to when I was 25 but damn.. repeating the crap I had to deal with to get to this point.. I think I'm good. I was fortunate to retire at 53 in good health. Life is too short to spend it into your 70's chasing the dollar

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #77 on: October 10, 2017, 09:43:23 PM »
I have a friend, he's 75. Retired from Coke at 53 with millions from stock options. Started out as a salesman fresh out of the marines with not a penny to his name. He wouldn't trade his life right now with any 30 year old trying to make ends meet. It's all how you look at it.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #78 on: October 10, 2017, 10:09:16 PM »
owe on or own?

I've been fortunate. I played the market for a couple years with my Deferred comp and made great returns.That allowed me to buy 5 years more service credit and have some fun money if I need it.  My retirement is enough that I can live comfortably, my investments, (mostly luck) are allowing me to buy the toys and do the traveling I put off for most of my career. I certainly can't complain.    I have often thought, wouldn't it be nice to go back to when I was 25 but damn.. repeating the crap I had to deal with to get to this point.. I think I'm good. I was fortunate to retire at 53 in good health. Life is too short to spend it into your 70's chasing the dollar

Owe (typo)

Rimstinger

« Reply #79 on: October 11, 2017, 03:07:55 AM »
Lots of 50 year old jumping on here saying how good life is.

Don't get me wrong. At 50 you still look ok and have a respectable energy about you. But when you get old, I am talking 65 and over, you're an irrelevant member of society. You'll think about your youth and see how the world now caters for the young, everyone is just waiting for you to die off now...go enjoy your cup of tea at home as the world goes by.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #80 on: October 11, 2017, 03:12:52 AM »
females got it worse than fellas

basically they really start to go downhill after 23 and after 35 or so they are finished  :'(

of course there are a few exceptions, but not many

honest

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #81 on: October 11, 2017, 03:18:22 AM »
Have to agree with rim stinger on this one, trying my best to groom a management team so I can step out of my business in 4 years at 50, hope to get a good ten years doing things with good health before taking the next 5 on the slide, have no intention of hanging around past 65 if the qualities gone, would rather just handover what i got to the kids. My view will not change I've walked through enough war cemeteries to appreciate being more fortunate than those who didn't make it. I will take quality over quantity anytime unless its too short a quantity.

robcguns

• Getbig V
  • Founder of the proud straight white male movement
« Reply #82 on: October 11, 2017, 03:40:11 AM »
Is there any point to being old?really is this a question?thats like saying is there any point in being a man or white etc... can’t change it if you don’t get killed or get sick and die you will get old.So no needbdiscussing it.Its inevitable.

Rimstinger

« Reply #83 on: October 11, 2017, 04:12:43 AM »
Have to agree with rim stinger on this one, trying my best to groom a management team so I can step out of my business in 4 years at 50, hope to get a good ten years doing things with good health before taking the next 5 on the slide, have no intention of hanging around past 65 if the qualities gone, would rather just handover what i got to the kids. My view will not change I've walked through enough war cemeteries to appreciate being more fortunate than those who didn't make it. I will take quality over quantity anytime unless its too short a quantity.

Exactly. Many are missing the point.

Look at Clooney, over the past few years you can see that deathly look taking hold. Even worse, Kirk Douglas, I don't want to be that old when just sitting idle is a struggle, looks like holding your head up and keeping your eyes open is a fuckign effort.

Kirk Douglas, sure he's still alive, but he isn't a person anymore. Once an alpha male a lion, now what? what is he?

Simple Simon

« Reply #84 on: October 11, 2017, 04:17:52 AM »

Look at Clooney, over the past few years you can see that deathly look taking hold. Even worse, Kirk Douglas, I don't want to be that old when just sitting idle is a struggle, looks like holding your head up and keeping your eyes open is a fuckign effort.

Kirk Douglas, sure he's still alive, but he isn't a person anymore. Once an alpha male a lion, now what? what is he?

hes Spartacus

Never1AShow

• Getbig V
  • World Record Holder in French Toast Diving
« Reply #85 on: October 11, 2017, 06:05:19 AM »
hes Spartacus

He's 101 years old.  Good lord

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: October 11, 2017, 01:30:04 PM »

Do you plan on committing suicide on your 65th birthday? If you are in good health at 65 suicide may not be a good option. As best I know, life insurance companies don't pay out in cases of suicide. Assisted suicide is possible, depending on your state's laws. Unfortunately, death with dignity is only available to people who are terminally ill.

residue

• Getbig V
  • Adonis 3:16
« Reply #87 on: October 11, 2017, 01:40:34 PM »
my gf is an elder care attorney, apparently most old folks homes are just massive orgies

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #88 on: October 11, 2017, 01:41:22 PM »

Kirk Douglas celebrated his 100th birthday last December with his family and friends in attendance and the Beverly Hills Hotel. Douglas was described by his guests as being still in good shape, able to walk with confidence into the Sunset Room for the celebration

Ted SuperSet

• Getbig IV
  • America first!
« Reply #89 on: October 11, 2017, 01:42:00 PM »
females got it worse than fellas

basically they really start to go downhill after 23 and after 35 or so they are finished  :'(

of course there are a few exceptions, but not many

After 23 lol? Thats crazytalk.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #90 on: October 11, 2017, 01:44:09 PM »
He's 101 years old.  Good lord

Not quite, he will be next December.

Kirk in 1950. I was only 6 years old at the time.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #91 on: October 11, 2017, 01:44:48 PM »
my gf is an elder care attorney, apparently most old folks homes are just massive orgies
with the staff or the elderly or both?

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #92 on: October 11, 2017, 01:47:06 PM »
After 23 lol? Thats crazytalk.

not really

go to any dating app and search ages 19-30 and you will see it is so

in fact they hit a second fall at 28

and the last fall is 35

Taffin

• Getbig V
  • Training out my gay penor...
« Reply #93 on: October 11, 2017, 02:22:23 PM »
T

Shizzo

• Getbig IV
  • 2014 Getbig Hall of Fame Inductee
« Reply #94 on: October 11, 2017, 02:34:06 PM »

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #95 on: October 11, 2017, 02:45:08 PM »
Lots of 50 year old jumping on here saying how good life is.

Don't get me wrong. At 50 you still look ok and have a respectable energy about you. But when you get old, I am talking 65 and over, you're an irrelevant member of society. You'll think about your youth and see how the world now caters for the young, everyone is just waiting for you to die off now...go enjoy your cup of tea at home as the world goes by.

Irrelevant to whom?  A bunch of fans who don't give a shit about you anymore, and vice versa?  Old folks are still relevant to the people important to them.  My dad just passed away last month at age 83 and I assure you he was very relevant to his family, friends and loved ones, to the very end.

The world does cater to the young.  They're the ones all the TV commercials are aimed at.  Even though it's us older folks who have the money to spend, lol.  We're just not stupid enough to get sucked in by advertising for the latest trendy stuff.

honest

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #96 on: October 11, 2017, 05:11:30 PM »
Do you plan on committing suicide on your 65th birthday? If you are in good health at 65 suicide may not be a good option. As best I know, life insurance companies don't pay out in cases of suicide. Assisted suicide is possible, depending on your state's laws. Unfortunately, death with dignity is only available to people who are terminally ill.

No Prime im a 100 mile an hour guy, and I wont change I doubt I will get much further than 65 with my level of stress and family history, Of course I will take more if its quality and on offer to me,and will also leave no stone unturned trying to extend both the quantity and quality with the gifts on offer with modern medicine and technology, so no suicide will be required, its not part of my DNA, I will probably push it to far at some point and have to  pay the piper. Lets just hope its later rather than sooner.

Rascal full

• Getbig IV
« Reply #97 on: October 11, 2017, 06:04:45 PM »
Irrelevant to whom?  A bunch of fans who don't give a shit about you anymore, and vice versa?  Old folks are still relevant to the people important to them.  My dad just passed away last month at age 83 and I assure you he was very relevant to his family, friends and loved ones, to the very end.

The world does cater to the young.  They're the ones all the TV commercials are aimed at.  Even though it's us older folks who have the money to spend, lol.  We're just not stupid enough to get sucked in by advertising for the latest trendy stuff.

Sorry to hear about your Father, best wishes.

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #98 on: October 11, 2017, 06:12:52 PM »

Sorry to hear about your Father, best wishes.

Thank you.

Board_SHERIF

• Getbig V
  • UK Independence Party
« Reply #99 on: October 11, 2017, 06:29:53 PM »

yukkk...I will stick to self pleasure at that age
K