Getbig Bodybuilding, Figure and Fitness Forums
November 20, 2017, 01:02:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: stranded aluminum 240 volt wire spliced to a solid copper 240 v wire question  (Read 644 times)
Marty Champions
Getbig V

ericpdollard.com is what we should know

« on: October 15, 2017, 09:19:04 AM »

does this need the special alumiconn connection to join the two?

i hear also that a special wire nut is not needed to join stranded 240 aluminumwire with solid copper 240 wire , because the stranded aluminum is able to flex more thus safe connection. would like to hear ur opnion

however a 120 v solid aluminum wire connected to solid 120v wire must have the special alumiconn connection or u will have a house fire
Report to moderator   Logged

A
ratherbebig
Getbig V

King of the streets!

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 09:55:57 AM »

240 is no longer posting here
Kwon
Getbig V

#TeamDPsKitchen

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 10:39:58 AM »

i hear also that a special wire nut is not needed to join stranded 240 aluminumwire with solid copper 240 wire , because the stranded aluminum is able to flex more thus safe connection. would like to hear ur opnion

however a 120 v solid aluminum wire connected to solid 120v wire must have the special alumiconn connection or u will have a house fire

Fully agree Falcown.

O
GigantorX
Getbig V

GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 01:13:31 PM »

Don't mess around with aluminum wiring.
Spike
Competitors
Getbig V

Keep it tight

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 12:04:46 PM »

Itís to control heat - just wired some 8gauge wire running 4 220v off a controller box thatís runs off a 110v breaker connection.

Wouldnít fck around with aluminum - just be safe
Thin Lizzy
Getbig V

Don't want to hear your excuses even if true.

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 12:24:41 PM »

Donít put it in the microwave either. Wink
sync pulse
Getbig V

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 03:01:03 PM »

Are you talking about the pigtails to connect a non co/alr outlet to aluminum wiring?

The way to do that is to use a short copper pigtail connected to the outlet...then use a special connector to connect to the aluminum cable...Always use the right procedure with aluminum wiring...use the connectors with  the grease.

If you are talking about splicing a long copper cable piece (several feet) to aluminum...it would be better to just replace the entire run with copper.

Hypertrophy
Getbig IV

Team Ramy

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 04:14:02 PM »

Don't mess around with aluminum wiring.
^^^This. The stuff oxidizes so easily that unless you really know what you are doing, you can expect a fire at some point. Rented a building once where they used aluminum wire in a large junction box. One day i came in and no power. Opened the junction box and it looked like someone had taken a blow torch to it. Copper/aluminum splice. They must have used a cheap electrician...
Marty Champions
Getbig V

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2017, 05:22:54 PM »

Are you talking about the pigtails to connect a non co/alr outlet to aluminum wiring?

The way to do that is to use a short copper pigtail connected to the outlet...then use a special connector to connect to the aluminum cable...Always use the right procedure with aluminum wiring...use the connectors with  the grease.

If you are talking about splicing a long copper cable piece (several feet) to aluminum...it would be better to just replace the entire run with copper.

this is hard wired, no outlet

what i saw was a pigtail with stranded aluminum to solid copper, no special marrets were used i didnt see any oxidation

A
GigantorX
Getbig V

GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 05:38:30 PM »

this is hard wired, no outlet

what i saw was a pigtail with stranded aluminum to solid copper, no special marrets were used i didnt see any oxidation

If done PROPERLY by a PROFESSIONAL splicing via pigtail is the only legit way to do it. Even then I'd be tense.
sync pulse
Getbig V

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 06:47:56 PM »

Marty Champions
Getbig V

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2017, 07:11:51 PM »

If done PROPERLY by a PROFESSIONAL splicing via pigtail is the only legit way to do it. Even then I'd be tense.
u sound gay u dont need a professional, u just need to know the right way

A
IRON CROSS
Getbig III

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2017, 03:46:55 AM »

aluminum = aluminium  Roll Eyes

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Theme created by Egad Community. Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.20 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!