Author Topic: stranded aluminum 240 volt wire spliced to a solid copper 240 v wire question  (Read 2306 times)

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
does this need the special alumiconn connection to join the two?

i hear also that a special wire nut is not needed to join stranded 240 aluminumwire with solid copper 240 wire , because the stranded aluminum is able to flex more thus safe connection. would like to hear ur opnion

however a 120 v solid aluminum wire connected to solid 120v wire must have the special alumiconn connection or u will have a house fire
A

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
  • if you got more than 10k you're gay
240 is no longer posting here

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda

i hear also that a special wire nut is not needed to join stranded 240 aluminumwire with solid copper 240 wire , because the stranded aluminum is able to flex more thus safe connection. would like to hear ur opnion

however a 120 v solid aluminum wire connected to solid 120v wire must have the special alumiconn connection or u will have a house fire

Fully agree Falcown.

Q

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
Don't mess around with aluminum wiring.

Spike

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Kill your ego
It’s to control heat - just wired some 8gauge wire running 4 220v off a controller box that’s runs off a 110v breaker connection.

Wouldn’t fck around with aluminum - just be safe

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
 Don’t put it in the microwave either. ;)

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'

Are you talking about the pigtails to connect a non co/alr outlet to aluminum wiring?

The way to do that is to use a short copper pigtail connected to the outlet...then use a special connector to connect to the aluminum cable...Always use the right procedure with aluminum wiring...use the connectors with  the grease.

If you are talking about splicing a long copper cable piece (several feet) to aluminum...it would be better to just replace the entire run with copper.

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
Don't mess around with aluminum wiring.
^^^This. The stuff oxidizes so easily that unless you really know what you are doing, you can expect a fire at some point. Rented a building once where they used aluminum wire in a large junction box. One day i came in and no power. Opened the junction box and it looked like someone had taken a blow torch to it. Copper/aluminum splice. They must have used a cheap electrician...

Marty Champions

• Getbig V

Are you talking about the pigtails to connect a non co/alr outlet to aluminum wiring?

The way to do that is to use a short copper pigtail connected to the outlet...then use a special connector to connect to the aluminum cable...Always use the right procedure with aluminum wiring...use the connectors with  the grease.

If you are talking about splicing a long copper cable piece (several feet) to aluminum...it would be better to just replace the entire run with copper.

this is hard wired, no outlet

what i saw was a pigtail with stranded aluminum to solid copper, no special marrets were used i didnt see any oxidation
A

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
this is hard wired, no outlet

what i saw was a pigtail with stranded aluminum to solid copper, no special marrets were used i didnt see any oxidation

If done PROPERLY by a PROFESSIONAL splicing via pigtail is the only legit way to do it. Even then I'd be tense.

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
If done PROPERLY by a PROFESSIONAL splicing via pigtail is the only legit way to do it. Even then I'd be tense.
u sound gay u dont need a professional, u just need to know the right way
A

IRON CROSS

• Getbig V
aluminum = aluminium  ::)