Author Topic: quality carb up foods  (Read 4930 times)

AMNIMAL

• Getbig II
  • IRON addict for LIFE
quality carb up foods
« on: April 10, 2006, 06:25:05 PM »
Looking for some suggestions on quality and quanity of carbs for load cycle for pre-contest. I read a general rule of thumb after carb depleting is start with 400 gms the first day, 500 the second and 600 the third day. How accurate is this? The contest is April 22nd.... ::)

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
Re: quality carb up foods
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 06:58:06 PM »
The foods I have carbed up on are sweet potatoes, brown rice, oatmeal and whole wheat pancakes.  Everyone is different though and some use white potatoes/white rice and dried fruit as well.  There is a good article in the training thread started by Popeye about the last week of contest prep.  Let me know if you can't find it and I'll put up the link. 

Good luck at your show!
Jennifer

bigmo6891

• Getbig III
  • wus real good
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 10:02:42 AM »
Chris Cormier (as said in the muscletech trilogy collection) likes to carb up with Twix
Never Big Enough

AMNIMAL

• Getbig II
  • IRON addict for LIFE
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 10:06:27 AM »
The foods I have carbed up on are sweet potatoes, brown rice, oatmeal and whole wheat pancakes.  Everyone is different though and some use white potatoes/white rice and dried fruit as well.  There is a good article in the training thread started by Popeye about the last week of contest prep.  Let me know if you can't find it and I'll put up the link. 

Good luck at your show!

Thanks BEAST, I looked and couldn't find the thread by Popye you were referring to? If you could post the thread I'd appreciate it.

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2006, 11:03:25 AM »
No problem, hope this helps (thanks popeye for posting it)

http://www.muscleenhancers.com/pre-contest-training2.htm
Jennifer

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
  • Peace and good genes be to you
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2006, 11:04:49 AM »
1.5 slices of a meatlovers pizza works great   ;D

FitChic78

• Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2006, 12:25:20 PM »
1.5 slices of a meatlovers pizza works great   ;D

Concur... & sushi ;D

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006, 02:01:09 PM »
You 2 need to get a room and have a food orgy already
Jennifer

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2006, 02:08:36 PM »
I don't cheat ;)
Jennifer

FitChic78

• Getbig II
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2006, 02:53:38 PM »
You 2 need to get a room and have a food orgy already

Look, I love food what can I say! As far as deserts go, Cold Stone or Ben & Jerry's PPLLEEEAAASSE!!! ;D

philnq8

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2006, 03:04:01 PM »
I used a product called Pure Vitargo for my last show and it seemed to work very well, 72 grams of carb per serving, tasted pretty good and worked fast. I had gotten pretty sick the night before my show and ended up the morning of the show VERY flat. After a couple of doses of this stuff, I filled out pretty good.
I will use it until I find something better.
Check it out at:
 www.professionalsuppleme nts.net
Phil

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2006, 07:00:47 PM »
Wheat germ and honey, loads of it!

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2006, 07:44:27 PM »

Good luck at your show!
Follow her advice, it's perfect!

Tombo

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2006, 03:21:20 AM »
Wheat germ and honey, loads of it!

dude you serious..

that flakey shit? .. with honey? ok ima try before i say anything.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2006, 09:21:46 AM »
I'm dead serious.

From the wheat germ, you get 6g of carb per 2tbsp, as an added benefit- 4g of prot, 2 g of dietary fiber, zinc, mg, vitamin e and folic acid

Honey has 17g of carb per tbsp, and a GI rating of 73 (in one study, honey outperforned malodextrin in the postworkout recovery phase).

So 4tbs of wheat germ and 4tbs of honey gives you 80g of carb, not to mention 12 g of protein and 4g of fiber, vitamins/minerals, an insulin boost and about 350 calories.

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2006, 09:26:40 AM »
I'm dead serious.

From the wheat germ, you get 6g of carb per 2tbsp, as an added benefit- 4g of prot, 2 g of dietary fiber, zinc, mg, vitamin e and folic acid

Honey has 17g of carb per tbsp, and a GI rating of 73 (in one study, honey outperforned malodextrin in the postworkout recovery phase).

So 4tbs of wheat germ and 4tbs of honey gives you 80g of carb, not to mention 12 g of protein and 4g of fiber, vitamins/minerals, an insulin boost and about 350 calories.

So for carbing up you would use this the whole 3 days, just the day of the show...?
Jennifer

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2006, 10:47:54 AM »
Let's say for a Saturday contest, I would start on Wed.  If you wait too long, you won't be able to give your body time to convert it into stored glycogen in the muscles.  If you wait until the day before, your blood sugar will go through the roof, your body will retain excess water and your muscles will still have a "flat" appearance.

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2006, 11:00:42 AM »
3 days before my show I personally carbed up with White Rice and or Sweet Potato...

Morning of I would use Rice Cakes and PB.....

And right before going on stage a shot of warm red wine for vascularity...

Another guy I knew would take a spoonful of Soy Sauce for Salt manipulation but when dealing with sodium leading this could be deadly, not for morbidity but rather ones physique..

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2006, 05:03:24 PM »
Let's say for a Saturday contest, I would start on Wed.  If you wait too long, you won't be able to give your body time to convert it into stored glycogen in the muscles.  If you wait until the day before, your blood sugar will go through the roof, your body will retain excess water and your muscles will still have a "flat" appearance.
In my eyes carbing up has always been fun...it doesn't sound fun with wheat germ/honey everyday for 3 days :(
Jennifer

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2006, 05:43:14 PM »
In my eyes carbing up has always been fun...it doesn't sound fun with wheat germ/honey everyday for 3 days :(

Of course there's more than one way to skin a cat.  Have fun your way........

AMNIMAL

• Getbig II
  • IRON addict for LIFE
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2006, 08:29:24 AM »
Follow her advice, it's perfect!

I'm taking BEASTS advice...the next question I have is while carbing up after three days of depletion, how frequently and what amount should I be consuming carbs? Along with the gradual carb loading, how many calories should be coming from protein and how many from the carbs? 400-600gm of carbs seems like a lot of calories to me ???

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2006, 02:02:27 PM »
With carbing up I wouldn't worry so much about the calories and look more strictly on the portions.  You shouldn't worry about the carbs converting to fat so quickly because your body will use them within the 3 day period to fill the depleted muscles. 

Obviously I am much smaller then you but my recommendation and anyone correct me if you think I am wrong is start with 50-75 Gram servings every 2-3 hours.  At every meal I would also take in 25-35 G's of Protein and with 4 of my meals I would include good fats. 

Actually I'm not sure how big you are (bodyweight/height) this would help with a recommendation.
Jennifer

AMNIMAL

• Getbig II
  • IRON addict for LIFE
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2006, 02:42:07 PM »
With carbing up I wouldn't worry so much about the calories and look more strictly on the portions.  You shouldn't worry about the carbs converting to fat so quickly because your body will use them within the 3 day period to fill the depleted muscles. 

Obviously I am much smaller then you but my recommendation and anyone correct me if you think I am wrong is start with 50-75 Gram servings every 2-3 hours.  At every meal I would also take in 25-35 G's of Protein and with 4 of my meals I would include good fats. 

Actually I'm not sure how big you are (bodyweight/height) this would help with a recommendation.

Just received my copy of the precontest bible....FULL OF GREAT INFO!!!! Your advice mirrors a lot of bodybuilders suggestions from the book which tells me you know what your talking about so I just wanted to say thanks for all your advice thus far. I'm 5'9 and currently between 209 and 215 depending what time of the day I hop on the scale. I started at 240...(the heaviest I have ever been)

I had planned on doing cardio right up to the day before the show but I am reading that a lot of Pros stop cardio as early as Tuesday or Wed for a Sat show. I guess just go by what the mirror says huh?

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2006, 04:51:42 PM »
Thanks for the compliment...never read the pre-contest bible, suppose I should some day.  As far as doing cardio up to the day of the show...bad idea.  Like you mentioned, I would stop no later then Wednesday, if you are over and need to drop some water weight maybe go to a sauna but that can be very dangerous since your water is so limited as it is.  If you are only over by like 2-4 pounds you will definitely drop that by Saturday. 

The last few days before a show are really weird because you do all these things that you would never do in the precedeing 11+ weeks.

Good luck!
Jennifer

binliftin

• Getbig II
  • It's not the size that counts...right
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2006, 01:06:17 PM »

What would you recommend for a 119 pound girl? The same? How does this relate to total calorie consumption?