Author Topic: the effectivness of flyes...  (Read 2137 times)

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
  • here comes the hotstepper!
the effectivness of flyes...
« on: April 11, 2006, 08:30:11 AM »
when it comes to gaining strength?  ???

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
  • Peace and good genes be to you
Re: the effectivness of flyes...
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 08:42:32 AM »
Not much, more for the seperation/definition of the pecs rather than a strength builder.  I mean they would have to benefit your lower range movement concerning your mass building excercises but if you start them for the first time I don't think they would add 10-20 pounds to your bench if thats what you mean.

blondmusclhunk

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 02:46:24 PM »
They seem to work inner mostly and some outer.  But If your just starting out definately concentrate on bench and incline.  I do use them as a finishing excercise however

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 03:20:16 PM »
They work your entire chest...do them after your pressing movements. concentrate on the stretch and squeeze of the muscle and don't worry about how much weight you use. high rep (10-20) cable flyes seem to make my chest explode after some good pressing.

8)

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2006, 03:47:23 PM »
Wont do shit for strength, I mean come on now! Other than that, what overload said..
follow the arrows

blondmusclhunk

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2006, 10:30:36 AM »
I agree with Overload cable flyes are awesome after you finish chest.

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2006, 04:52:53 PM »
I disagree 100% with anyone who says that heavy dumbell flyes are not good for strength. Dumbell flyes are the only exercise that put a full stretch on the pecs. Flyes will strengthen the bottom portion of your bench press. The pec tendon will benefit greatly from the stretch. Train heavy 8-10 reps

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2006, 05:33:47 PM »
Not for strength but in terms of development, cable incline/flat/decline flys & crossovers, pec deck & incline/flat/decline dumbbell flys are the best of all chest exercises IMO.

Cables do NOT have to be used only as finishing exercises, this is one of those myths.

Don't go below 8-12 reps, and warm up thorougly, to avoid shoulder probs.

triple_pickle

• Getbig IV
  • Pull Hard, Move Fast
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2006, 09:03:13 PM »
i do heavy flyes, 6-8 reps, and think they do help to gain strength.

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2006, 10:25:24 PM »
why use it as a strength exercise? I mean come on, its an iso, ure just asking for an injury by going heavy on it. Besides, msot of the stregnth in the bench press does NOT come from the chest, so its pretty ridiculous to say that improving your numbers on a fly movement will affect your bench numbers at all.
follow the arrows

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2006, 07:43:17 AM »
Remember, with any barbell or dumbbell pressing movement, you incorporate your shoulders and triceps to a large extent.  Flyes are a GREAT way to strengthen AND grow your chest, especially if you have big arms and shoulders (they to some of the work in pressing movements).  Need to stay in the 8-12 range..anything higher is too light and ineffective.   Also try Decline flyes..they are nice!