Author Topic: Flex Magazine - stopping publication - last issue will be April 2018  (Read 18233 times)

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
Re: Flex Magazine - stopping publication - last issue will be April 2018
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2018, 11:56:36 AM »
Q

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
  • if you got more than 10k you're gay
« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2018, 11:57:13 AM »
omg

we need to buy the last issue and get it framed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Danimal77

• Getbig V
  • Yo Adrian
Flex Magazine is NO MORE
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2018, 04:21:16 PM »
It doesn't come as a surprise, but it's still a sad thought. I used to collect Muscle and Fitness as well as Flex magazines. I have editions dating back to the late 70's for M&F and early 80's for Flex. Nothing like a good old magazine when we used to wait 1 whole month until the new edition would hit the stands. The good old days  ;D

Nether Animal

• Getbig V
  • Team Mower Forever
Re: Flex Magazine is NO MORE
« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2018, 04:25:47 PM »

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2018, 04:30:11 PM »
You are a legit psychopath

Sexybeast777

• Getbig IV
« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2018, 04:38:08 PM »
cry me a river (I got a lot of flex mags, huge collection)

Danimal77

• Getbig V
  • Yo Adrian
« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2018, 05:40:23 PM »

It was just reported today. Don't be an asshole.

Danimal77

• Getbig V
  • Yo Adrian
« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2018, 05:45:57 PM »
You are a legit psychopath

This coming from a guy who believes in a man in the sky controls your destiny  ::)

Sexybeast777

• Getbig IV
« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2018, 05:54:40 PM »
This coming from a guy who believes in a man in the sky controls your destiny  ::)
so you are an atheist?

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Flex Magazine - stopping publication
« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2018, 05:55:09 PM »
bodybuilding is not dead, print is dead though, because people don't buy magazines that much anymore. bodybuilding is alive and well. Most people get their info through the internet, so why buy mags?

Bodybuilding is not dead but as a "respectable/serious activity " it's on life support..... the slow but sure death of print magazines has affected bodybuilding more than anything else out there ....

All you have left is social media where a nobody with abs and lumber sexual looks can have more followers than your average IFBB pro .

WooSHHHHHHHHHHH  

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2018, 05:59:24 PM »
It was just reported today. Don't be an asshole.

Have you not seen the Wiggs thread from a few days ago? It's three pages already, which is the same amount of pages in a Flex not put there by an advertisement. ???

hipolito mejia

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2018, 03:43:14 AM »
Bodybuilding is not dead but as a "respectable/serious activity " it's on life support..... the slow but sure death of print magazines has affected bodybuilding more than anything else out there ....

All you have left is social media where a nobody with abs and lumber sexual looks can have more followers than your average IFBB pro .

WooSHHHHHHHHHHH  

Another nail in the open men's bodybuilding's coffin

Joe Pietaro

• Getbig III
  • Publisher, MuscleSport Magazine
« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2018, 08:46:16 AM »
M&F is basically a clone of AMI's other publication Men's Fitness. In the 80s, M&F was a legit bodybuilding magazine but has morphed totally into a fitness one with a celebrity or cardboard cutout male fitness model motif. So expect either M&F or MF to go by the way of FLEX sooner than later.

The problem with magazines like FLEX and MD is that they needed to find a niche or angle once the Internet took away much of their appeal. They never adapted; kept going with the same old shit & expected people to still plunk down money for it.

My only surprise is that it would have made more sense to merge the two fitness titles & keep FLEX running, albeit at a smaller and less frequent publishing cycle.

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
  • if you got more than 10k you're gay
« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2018, 08:47:20 AM »
so you are an atheist?

no he worships kevin levrone

SuperTed

• Getbig V
  • Rebirth
« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2018, 09:22:49 AM »

Skylge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2018, 10:13:48 AM »
bodybuilding is very much alive and well, idk what you're talking about. Maybe we are not currently in a ''golden age'', like the 70s or the 90s, but make no mistake about it bodybuilding is alive and well, and it's not going to die anytime soon

Women's pro bodybuilding is dead, and men's pro bodybuilding....one glance at the prize money learns it's near death....

Desolate

• Getbig V
  • I dream of Gods
« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2018, 06:32:20 PM »
It's sad what the Weider brothers left behind.

What good came of it if this is all going to die?

They should've got real drug testing in place for men and women, amateurs and pros.
They needed to get this more mainstream. Maybe that was the Olympics, maybe not.
Set it up for the long-term before you die.

It is sad to see it fall apart as it has.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2018, 07:57:22 PM »
It's sad what the Weider brothers left behind.

What good came of it if this is all going to die?

They should've got real drug testing in place for men and women, amateurs and pros.
They needed to get this more mainstream. Maybe that was the Olympics, maybe not.
Set it up for the long-term before you die.

It is sad to see it fall apart as it has.

they made tons of money and that was their main motivation

E
E

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2018, 08:04:06 PM »

I still have a very large collection of Flex Magazine's and others... here are some of them

http://www.getbig.com/magazine/flex/flex.htm

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: March 07, 2018, 05:05:26 AM »
People say things like boxings dead, bodybuildings dead. But only until a new mega star comes along.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #70 on: March 07, 2018, 07:27:11 PM »
I just got the notice today. That's rather sad. I knew things were getting rough when the issue you get with a subscription has fewer pages than the one on the newsstand.

My wife got me a subscription 12 years ago, which I've maintained since then. The issues in my garage from the mid/late 2000s are nearly three times as thick as the ones today.

MuscleMag....GONE

IronMan.....GONE

Flex....GONE.

MD is on the chopping block. They're already putting the physique guys on the covers, instead of the bodybuilders. It's shades of what they did over 20 years ago during the "Muscular-Development-Fitness-Health/All-Natural Muscular Development" days.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #71 on: March 07, 2018, 10:02:32 PM »
A

Joe Pietaro

• Getbig III
  • Publisher, MuscleSport Magazine
« Reply #72 on: March 08, 2018, 08:52:58 AM »
I just got the notice today. That's rather sad. I knew things were getting rough when the issue you get with a subscription has fewer pages than the one on the newsstand.

My wife got me a subscription 12 years ago, which I've maintained since then. The issues in my garage from the mid/late 2000s are nearly three times as thick as the ones today.

MuscleMag....GONE

IronMan.....GONE

Flex....GONE.

MD is on the chopping block. They're already putting the physique guys on the covers, instead of the bodybuilders. It's shades of what they did over 20 years ago during the "Muscular-Development-Fitness-Health/All-Natural Muscular Development" days.

The problem with what FLEX was doing and what MD is still (barely) doing is that they are using the print magazine as their point man, or so to speak. My company has a print magazine with hardcore material (steroids, adult side of FBB, columns by Lee Priest, Bostin Loyd, Jonny Bravo, etc.), but it is only a small fraction of what I'm trying to do. Basically it's a very small print run for old fucks like myself and a way to give back to the readers/viewers by publishing their photos in print.

I have a digital version (free to read) and have been focusing on video programming and road trips with videos. The magazine points people to the website and social media pages. This other guys did it reverse; an archaic business model in this day and age.

Nether Animal

• Getbig V
  • Team Mower Forever
« Reply #73 on: March 08, 2018, 08:55:10 AM »
The problem with what FLEX was doing and what MD is still (barely) doing is that they are using the print magazine as their point man, or so to speak. My company has a print magazine with hardcore material (steroids, adult side of FBB, columns by Lee Priest, Bostin Loyd, Jonny Bravo, etc.), but it is only a small fraction of what I'm trying to do. Basically it's a very small print run for old fucks like myself and a way to give back to the readers/viewers by publishing their photos in print.

I have a digital version (free to read) and have been focusing on video programming and road trips with videos. The magazine points people to the website and social media pages. This other guys did it reverse; an archaic business model in this day and age.

Who...?

Sexybeast777

• Getbig IV
« Reply #74 on: March 10, 2018, 08:56:50 AM »

WooSHHHHHHHHHHH  

this is not true, stop panicking