Author Topic: Resigning from a job, bite your lip or tell the truth?  (Read 6972 times)

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
Resigning from a job, bite your lip or tell the truth?
« on: March 04, 2018, 07:07:48 AM »
What would you do?

I am of the belief that telling an employer or a human resources employee what is really going through your head is counterproductive: All they want to hear is that you have no intention of suing them.

I am also of the belief that if you are passed over for a promotion once, you must leave. Being passed over means you are not looked at as promotional material and you leaving will force them to reassess their promotion protocol. It's time to expose your career to someone who may see the value you bring to the table.

What do you think?

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
  • if you got more than 10k you're gay
Re: Resigning from a job, bite your lip or tell the truth?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 07:13:17 AM »
telling em is likely gonna do you more bad than good.

as far as promotion, can be a number of reasons you didnt get one, not enough reason to leave IMO
unless it happens over and over and over

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 07:17:05 AM »
"I have been offered a position elsewhere.  I thank you for the opportunity and I wish you and the company continued success"

Don't go into specifics, you don't want to burn bridges.  They probably know already why you left--or they'll figure it out in short order, once you update your linkedin

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 07:20:13 AM »
[...]as far as promotion, can be a number of reasons you didnt get one, not enough reason to leave IMO
unless it happens over and over and over

If you want to be top dog, which is what I advise all the interns I train, you must waste no time. Missing out on a promotion basically forces you to throw away an entire year of your life (same when missing out on the bonus, you will never get that money back, meaning all the effort and time put into that year is completely and forever lost).

I say move on. It sends a stronger signal to those in positions of power. There is nothing worse than a team of careless managers who make decisions without first evaluating the repercussions of those decisions.

You have no idea how many managers I have to talk to about this very fact... Sometimes I have to contain myself, bite my lip and not call them out on mind-numbingly stupid decision-making that has a long term negative effect on the future of the firm.

be back

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 07:34:20 AM »
my nephew told his employer that he was leaving to go and live in another country.

They offered him a large pay rise and a higher spec company car.

Isnt it fucking annoying they only want to pay you what you are worth when they are afraid they are going to lose you.

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 07:46:59 AM »
my nephew told his employer that he was leaving to go and live in another country.

They offered him a large pay rise and a higher spec company car.

Isnt it fucking annoying they only want to pay you what you are worth when they are afraid they are going to lose you.

That's the kiss of death.

A counteroffer is nothing but a company's way of buying more time until they find a replacement.

You should NEVER accept a counteroffer unless they promise, in writing, that you will not be laid off.

be back

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 07:53:22 AM »

A counteroffer is nothing but a company's way of buying more time until they find a replacement.

You should NEVER accept a counteroffer unless they promise, in writing, that you will not be laid off.

No it isnt, he has a good rapport and business relationship with a large majority of their clients, he has built up trust and they know he is reliable.

If he left he would take that with him...

Board_SHERIF

• Getbig V
  • UK Independence Party
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2018, 08:21:10 AM »

Sounds like good advice coming from a dolt like you ::)
K

hardgainerj

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2018, 08:37:19 AM »
What would you do?

I am of the belief that telling an employer or a human resources employee what is really going through your head is counterproductive: All they want to hear is that you have no intention of suing them.

I am also of the belief that if you are passed over for a promotion once, you must leave. Being passed over means you are not looked at as promotional material and you leaving will force them to reassess their promotion protocol. It's time to expose your career to someone who may see the value you bring to the table.

What do you think?
hr=litigation resources

robcguns

• Getbig V
  • Founder of the proud straight white male movement
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2018, 09:04:45 AM »
Tell them to get fucked.i don’t believe in holding back no matter the consequences.speak your mind and move on.

Voice of Doom

• Getbig IV
  • Everything is under control.
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2018, 09:20:05 AM »
Take the high road and be professional when you quit.  You never know if you'll need a reference or worst case your old job back.  Ask for an exit interview if you really want to leave feedback.  If they ask for an exit interview keep your responses generic, don't get personal or angry.  Changes are your feedback won't matter a bit if it's a big company.  A smaller company might appreciate feedback like, "increase your employee review cycles...or this might be a better way to incentives your sales staff...or this software system might fix some gaps or inefficiencies". 

Never accept a counter offer.  It only makes the employer suspicious that you'll leave at the next chance or use the "im quitting" card again.  It creates a lot of latent hostilities that make your daily life harder.

Be polite and aloof during your notice period.   Thank them for the opportunity.  You made money, contacts and gained experience on their dime.  You've already won and in today's social media saturation a bad break up could hurt your career down the road.

Leave early on your last day.  Shake hands and wish everyone well.  Head to a local pub, have a stiff drink and celebrate the weekend before the new job starts.

mazrim

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2018, 09:35:13 AM »

What do you think?
How will that cause them to "reassess their promotion protocol"? They are already thinking they picked the right guy for the job. Basically, if you got picked then the other guy should assume the same thing and they should still "reassess their promotion protocol"?

I could see a reason for leaving if it happens more then once, but they are interviews after all and supposedly competitive. Not denying there is bias in a lot of companies as well but after one try seems to be jumping the gun a bit, unless the job you are going to is better.

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2018, 09:39:20 AM »
Getbiggers need to get jobs before they try to quit jobs.

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2018, 10:16:06 AM »
U should leave the fryers on at the end of your shift when u close up on your last day to spite them 😜

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2018, 11:13:36 AM »
What would you do?

What do you think?

Assessing our own abilities compared to our peers is tricky. Often times we are not honest with ourselves and think we are more qualified or competent than we are compared to some of our peers. To leave a company when passed over the first time to me makes no sense. You may have not had the seniority the other person had or you may not be as qualified depending on who it was that was promoted. If you keep getting passed over.. perhaps 

denarii

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2018, 11:25:36 AM »

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2018, 12:04:26 PM »

you have an odd perspective.. how successful have you been so far with this philosophy?

Ted SuperSet

• Getbig IV
  • America first!
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2018, 12:40:36 PM »
Take the high road and be professional when you quit.  You never know if you'll need a reference or worst case your old job back.  Ask for an exit interview if you really want to leave feedback.  If they ask for an exit interview keep your responses generic, don't get personal or angry.  Changes are your feedback won't matter a bit if it's a big company.  A smaller company might appreciate feedback like, "increase your employee review cycles...or this might be a better way to incentives your sales staff...or this software system might fix some gaps or inefficiencies". 

Never accept a counter offer.  It only makes the employer suspicious that you'll leave at the next chance or use the "im quitting" card again.  It creates a lot of latent hostilities that make your daily life harder.

Be polite and aloof during your notice period.   Thank them for the opportunity.  You made money, contacts and gained experience on their dime.  You've already won and in today's social media saturation a bad break up could hurt your career down the road.

Leave early on your last day.  Shake hands and wish everyone well.  Head to a local pub, have a stiff drink and celebrate the weekend before the new job starts.

Absolutely THIS!

OlympiaGym

• Getbig IV
  • they/them/their
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2018, 12:48:48 PM »
Overly simplistic discussion here for the most part. Many top execs, military officers, politicians, et al., have been "passed over" yet come back and run the company or got elected to the office they originally sought. Organizations change, people come and go, policies are revised, etc. Oftentimes the worst thing people do is feel slighted because they missed out on a promotion so they leave for another company where they find out the grass isn't always greener. Sometimes the devil you know is better than the one you don't. Of course there are some situations that will never work out but there are no blanket rules when it comes to this sort of thing.

Ted SuperSet

• Getbig IV
  • America first!
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2018, 12:49:43 PM »
Assessing our own abilities compared to our peers is tricky. Often times we are not honest with ourselves and think we are more qualified or competent than we are compared to some of our peers. To leave a company when passed over the first time to me makes no sense. You may have not had the seniority the other person had or you may not be as qualified depending on who it was that was promoted. If you keep getting passed over.. perhaps 

This also.

OP how old are you?

denarii

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2018, 12:53:53 PM »
Overly simplistic discussion here for the most part. Many top execs, military officers, politicians, et al., have been "passed over" yet come back and run the company or got elected to the office they originally sought. Organizations change, people come and go, policies are revised, etc. Oftentimes the worst thing people do is feel slighted because they missed out on a promotion so they leave for another company where they find out the grass isn't always greener. Sometimes the devil you know is better than the one you don't. Of course there are some situations that will never work out but there are no blanket rules when it comes to this sort of thing.

what like hillary and mitt zombie?

OlympiaGym

• Getbig IV
  • they/them/their
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2018, 01:08:59 PM »
what like hillary and mitt zombie?

How about Nixon and Reagan? Both passed over for the GOP presidential nomination at one point despite being very serious contenders. And the book isn't closed on Romney yet who is a shoe-in for the US Senate.

be back

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2018, 01:10:36 PM »
Op

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2018, 01:14:02 PM »
Op

Haha that episode probably the  best example of how not to leave a job

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2018, 01:22:03 PM »
I prefer to burn bridges. Tell them like it is. You left for a reason.   

I like this quote,,, "My resume is a list of places I never want to go to again" something like that

:P :P :P