Author Topic: Resigning from a job, bite your lip or tell the truth?  (Read 6989 times)

Henda

• Getbig V
Re: Resigning from a job, bite your lip or tell the truth?
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2018, 01:22:55 PM »
Tell them to get fucked.i don’t believe in holding back no matter the consequences.speak your mind and move on.

I’d be the same or else I’d regret not saying anything for ages, still regret to this day not giving the plant manager a good hiding when my last job ended

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
  • if you got more than 10k you're gay
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2018, 01:25:24 PM »
doesnt matter how a job ends.

you should be forever grateful you got it in the first place.

HonestBob

• Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2018, 02:01:05 PM »
I’d be the same or else I’d regret not saying anything for ages, still regret to this day not giving the plant manager a good hiding when my last job ended

Spoken like a good worker drone.

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2018, 02:12:56 PM »
Spoken like a good worker drone.

What the fuck is a worker drone?

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2018, 02:15:23 PM »
If you're resigning from a job and manage to get an exit interview, realize that the interview is just a simple ploy to gather information (ie gossip) about what might be going on in your particular department (good or bad). That information isn't used to harm you towards any future work potential via bad references, nor is it used to discipline present employees of that company, it's simply used to cover their assess from litigation as some have already mentioned. The information you share is also shared with your department head.

By the way, Human Resources isn't there for the employees. They're a fucking front for whatever company you work for to stop you from seeking litigation against them or exposure via media outlets. They work for the company and lack integrity in every single way. The only time they truly get involved and insist on matters is when something terrible occurs (Think workplace sexual assault).

My simple advice, use companies as much as they use you. Be a good employee and do great work for whomever you work for, BUT when the moment arises that you find a better opportunity to benefit you and your family, simply leave (if possible with decent notice, but if that's not possible, it's really no big deal).

Good luck,

"1"

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2018, 02:22:24 PM »
Grab your boss in a headlock and slap all the women on the ass.

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
  • if you got more than 10k you're gay
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2018, 02:23:57 PM »
Ryan Bingham: [after being informed by Ryan that his been let go] Your resume says you minored in French Culinary Arts. Most students work the frier at KFC. You bussed tables at Il Picatorre to support yourself. Then you got out of college and started working here. How much did they pay you to give up on your dreams?

Bob: Twenty seven thousand a year.

Ryan Bingham: [sitting next to Natalie] At what point were you going to stop and go back to what made you happy?

Bob: that's a good question.

Below Me

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2018, 02:37:43 PM »
If you haven't direct asked why you haven't been promoted you would be foolish to leave without a new company waiting.

Did you even interview for a higher level position? 

HonestBob

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2018, 02:40:20 PM »
What the fuck is a worker drone?

Spoken again like a good worker drone.

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2018, 02:41:58 PM »
Spoken again like a good worker drone.

Your a fucking idiot

balzac

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2018, 02:48:31 PM »
what job ?

HonestBob

• Getbig IV
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2018, 02:57:39 PM »
Your a fucking idiot

"You're" the kind of peasant who blames the boss for his own failures.

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2018, 03:05:02 PM »
"You're" the kind of peasant who blames the boss for his own failures.

Happy with what I’ve got so have no failures to blame anyone for, I’ve only had a boss for about 3 years of my working life you useless cu nt

HonestBob

• Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2018, 03:09:41 PM »
Happy with what I’ve got so have no failures to blame anyone for, I’ve only had a boss for about 3 years of my working life you useless cu nt
You're a plumber / spark / chippie who thinks he's his own boss and "regrets not knocking out his manager".  Winner.

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2018, 03:11:21 PM »
you have an odd perspective.. how successful have you been so far with this philosophy?

Not odd at all.

Time is of the essence and waiting around until someone sees value in you can either make or break your spirit.

If you're passed on for a promotion, then get yourself another job and let them sort their shit out.

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2018, 03:12:42 PM »
You're a plumber / spark / chippie who thinks he's his own boss and "regrets not knocking out his manager".  Winner.

How does someone think he’s his own boss? They either work for themselves or they don’t there’s no in between

If you think your job makes you better than someone else there’s something sadly wrong with you and are an insecure bitch seeking false validation, I couldn’t give a fuck if someone is a business man on a massive salary or works in McDonald’s, I don’t look at them any different they are both working for a living and respect them equally and couldn’t care less if someone earns more or less than me it makes absolutely zero difference to my life

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2018, 03:13:29 PM »
No it isnt, he has a good rapport and business relationship with a large majority of their clients, he has built up trust and they know he is reliable.

If he left he would take that with him...

If you happen to have a client base then you have leverage, totally different thing.

When someone works for a cost center (not a profit center,) the value is in the promotion. No promotion, value eventually goes down.  

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2018, 03:20:40 PM »
By the way,  unbeknownst to me until 10 minutes ago (one of my kids was watching a documentary on the savanna,) my philosophy is very similar to how adult male lions behave in their habitats: seek a group of female lions, find the dominant male and fight him. Rinse and repeat until success is achieved.  

Life is tough, but only you can control (fight) your future by way of finding people who see the value in you (female lions).

Do not waste a second of your career on bullshit teams/companies.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2018, 04:15:16 PM »

I am also of the belief that if you are passed over for a promotion once, you must leave. Being passed over means you are not looked at as promotional material and you leaving will force them to reassess their promotion protocol.

Why would  you leaving force them to reassess their  promotion protocol if they don't view you as worthy of a promotion? Do you really think they're going to be like " Damn! We made a mistake. This other guy sucks. You were actually better." 

You're going to do what you feel is best, but you sound like an emotional wreck. Surely you've been in an office where someone has dramatically quit - showing everybody what's what on their way out. At best, people forget about them after 45 minutes, at worst people remember them as that psychopath they are thankful hasn't comeback to shoot up the place.  I don't know what the extent of your "truth" is, but people come and go at organizations. It sounds like your quitting has less to do with career progression and more to do with making a statement. And ,possibly, personally offending someone in a position of authority.  It's a childish mindset. An explosive exit is not going to have the impact you are hoping for and trying to convince yourself that you have more reasonable motives isn't going to change that. From what you've said, it doesn't sound like your value to the company extends past a quick linkedin search and an afternoon of interviews.

OlympiaGym

• Getbig IV
  • they/them/their
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2018, 04:45:54 PM »
If you happen to have a client base then you have leverage, totally different thing.

When someone works for a cost center (not a profit center,) the value is in the promotion. No promotion, value eventually goes down.  

This is true. Is this your situation?

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2018, 05:19:05 PM »
What would you do?

I am of the belief that telling an employer or a human resources employee what is really going through your head is counterproductive: All they want to hear is that you have no intention of suing them.

I am also of the belief that if you are passed over for a promotion once, you must leave. Being passed over means you are not looked at as promotional material and you leaving will force them to reassess their promotion protocol. It's time to expose your career to someone who may see the value you bring to the table.

What do you think?

Employees do not always see themselves the way leadership sees them.  I have passed over two people for promotion.  Both are capable but also quite clueless.  If you are a remarkably talented person who is getting outside offers that pay more, by all means take the offer and go.  If you are being passed over for a promotion there is a reason.  You need to find out what it is and address it.  Maybe you need more expertise?  Perhaps another degree?  Maybe you need to hone your political skills?  Maybe you need to explore how others see you.  For example:

Step 1: Make a list of five people who work with you enough to comment on your personal style.  Choose at least two whom you especially admire for their success in navigating their own careers.

Step 2: Tell each person that you are seeking honest feedback, and offer to take them to lunch, coffee, or happy hour if they will agree to provide honest answers to five questions that you will send in advance. Here are the questions:

• Which of my personal strengths differentiate me most?
• When people compliment me out of earshot, what themes emerge?
• When people criticize me behind my back, what do they say?
• What are two or three things I could start, stop, or change to be more effective?
• If you had to choose one thing that might be holding me back professionally, what would it be?

Step No. 3: During the feedback meeting, listen, take notes, and resist the urge to argue or interrupt. Above all, do not punish your conversation partners for speaking the truth as they see it.

Step No. 4: Decide how you plan to proceed. Will you reject anything you hear that contradicts the way you see yourself? Or will you try to deal with any issues that your conversation partners were kind and courageous enough to share with you?

Self improvement isn’t limited to the gym.  Most people have too much ego to undertake these steps.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2018, 06:05:46 PM »
Employees do not always see themselves the way leadership sees them.  I have passed over two people for promotion.  Both are capable but also quite clueless.  If you are a remarkably talented person who is getting outside offers that pay more, by all means take the offer and go.  If you are being passed over for a promotion there is a reason.  You need to find out what it is and address it.  Maybe you need more expertise?  Perhaps another degree?  Maybe you need to hone your political skills?  Maybe you need to explore how others see you.  For example:

Step 1: Make a list of five people who work with you enough to comment on your personal style.  Choose at least two whom you especially admire for their success in navigating their own careers.

Step 2: Tell each person that you are seeking honest feedback, and offer to take them to lunch, coffee, or happy hour if they will agree to provide honest answers to five questions that you will send in advance. Here are the questions:

• What are two or three things I could start, stop, or change to be more effective?
• If you had to choose one thing that might be holding me back professionally, what would it be?

Step No. 3: During the feedback meeting, listen, take notes, and resist the urge to argue or interrupt. Above all, do not punish your conversation partners for speaking the truth as they see it.

Step No. 4: Decide how you plan to proceed. Will you reject anything you hear that contradicts the way you see yourself? Or will you try to deal with any issues that your conversation partners were kind and courageous enough to share with you?

Self improvement isn’t limited to the gym.  Most people have too much ego to undertake these steps.

I just don't see that happening with Slapper

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2018, 06:11:51 PM »
Why would  you leaving force them to reassess their  promotion protocol if they don't view you as worthy of a promotion? Do you really think they're going to be like " Damn! We made a mistake. This other guy sucks. You were actually better." 

You're going to do what you feel is best, but you sound like an emotional wreck. Surely you've been in an office where someone has dramatically quit - showing everybody what's what on their way out. At best, people forget about them after 45 minutes, at worst people remember them as that psychopath they are thankful hasn't comeback to shoot up the place.  I don't know what the extent of your "truth" is, but people come and go at organizations. It sounds like your quitting has less to do with career progression and more to do with making a statement. And ,possibly, personally offending someone in a position of authority.  It's a childish mindset. An explosive exit is not going to have the impact you are hoping for and trying to convince yourself that you have more reasonable motives isn't going to change that. From what you've said, it doesn't sound like your value to the company extends past a quick linkedin search and an afternoon of interviews.

Damn dude, you really read all that in my commentary? Really?

Anyhow, I'm not talking about me, I'm talking hypothetically, or what is the best way out of a shitty work situation. I'm not talking about adding emotion, drama or any of that Days of Our Lives stuff you watch. I'm talking about, the very same day you find out John Doe is getting the promotion and not you, my advice is that you dust your résumé and put it out there.

Nothing personal. Amicable split, you go your way, I go mine, wish you best of luck, yadda yadda yadda.

And yes, management has to reassess their promotion procedures when potential candidates leave. Part of my work revolves around helping some of these fucking idiots retain their talent and... let me tell you, sometimes I want to choke them. They are like children who, in my opinion, they should not, under any circumstances, be in positions with hiring capacity. Yet, for whatever reason, they were promoted and are now making shitty decisions which I have to clean up sometimes.

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2018, 06:13:07 PM »
This is true. Is this your situation?

No, I wear many hats, but they're all cost center-related.

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2018, 06:31:21 PM »
Employees do not always see themselves the way leadership sees them.  I have passed over two people for promotion.  Both are capable but also quite clueless.  If you are a remarkably talented person who is getting outside offers that pay more, by all means take the offer and go.  If you are being passed over for a promotion there is a reason.  You need to find out what it is and address it.  Maybe you need more expertise?  Perhaps another degree?  Maybe you need to hone your political skills?  Maybe you need to explore how others see you.  For example:

Step 1: Make a list of five people who work with you enough to comment on your personal style.  Choose at least two whom you especially admire for their success in navigating their own careers.

Self improvement isn’t limited to the gym.  Most people have too much ego to undertake these steps.

I think you're looking at things from a very basic point of view. I work in the financial services industry and the majority of these kids come prepared and ready to hit the ground running. The majority of them are quick learners, are engaged, try their best and work weekends if necessary.

Look, the reason I brought it up is because I had a very freaking unpleasant meeting with a manager who lost his most valuable employee and wanted ME to contact him, even though he wasn't an employee anymore, to see if he could consult with us for a premium. Turns out the guy was his star employee, his work horse, the guy that was churning out the most accurate analysis of the bunch and this dumb ass idiot decides to promote someone else. I go through the paperwork with him, look at his evaluations, look at his peer reviews and the guy literally stood out. Yet, for what ever reason, or for reasons to this day I still ignore, he promoted another person.

To make a long story short, I had gone through too many of these stories, the power went out at my house (I was in the office though) and I was cranky as fucking hell and... I literally lost it with one of the managers and got written up.

I basically listened to another lame ass story about how they never expected the person to leave and how they want him back and how they made a mistake... I swear to God, every time I hear these people talk I can sense my 401(k) shrinking by the syllable. I basically told him "Are you an idiot??? Are you stupid???".

There, I said it.