Author Topic: Greg Kovacs had almost 26" arms at his peak  (Read 24961 times)

be back

Re: Greg Kovacs had almost 26" arms at his peak
« Reply #100 on: April 06, 2018, 12:24:41 AM »

His wife, with whom I spent time around, was indeed annoying. Pleasant. But annoying. She was dedicated to being Greg’s slave. I remember her holding a battery-operated fan in his face all the bloody time.

that would annoy the fuck out of me...

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
« Reply #101 on: April 06, 2018, 12:26:05 AM »
First, for Greg to approach a double-bodyweight bench is ludicrous. That’d be closing in on 800 pounds. The all-time raw bench is 738, by a man dedicated to pure strength training. Unlike Kovacs.

Strength output doesn’t simply coincide perfectly with bodyweight increases.

Now, was Kovacs strong? Yes. Would he have performed well in a (high-level) powerlifting meet? Not without very intense and prolonged coaching/focus. His free-bar squat to depth likely wasn’t elite and his absolute deadlift wasn’t honed. As far as benching, he was crazy strong, but likely not a 600-plus presser. With specific training, I’d imagine he could have went well over six/650.

The story of him casually repping a guy’s one-rep max at some event is true. No, I wasn’t there. By all accounts, it was a douche move, in that it upstaged some dude’s moment in the sun. Greg wasn’t a participant. His doing this was bravado.

His wife, with whom I spent time around, was indeed annoying. Pleasant. But annoying. She was dedicated to being Greg’s slave. I remember her holding a battery-operated fan in his face all the bloody time.

First, for Greg to approach a double-bodyweight bench is ludicrous. That’d be closing in on 800 pounds. The all-time raw bench is 738, by a man dedicated to pure strength training. Unlike Kovacs

We disagree -
Kaz Benched 661 Raw @ around 330lb body weight
Why didn’t the bloated 400lb Kovacs drop some body weight
& get close to 2x body weight bench - Because he wasn’t really that strong
His inflated body weight allowed him to use weights most half or 2/3 his body weight
Didn’t use.

Kovacs was the one making outlandish claims & couldn’t back them up.

Yes I dislike his strength claims It’s Belittling to the real strength athletes
He should of Put up or Shut up.

I’ve Squated 3.5 x BW
Benched 2.2 xBW
Deadlifted 3.2 x BW - yep a poor dead-lifter

As a Steroid Free lifter ( I was Naive )
And won National champs
Hence I take issue with his claims

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #102 on: April 06, 2018, 03:25:39 AM »

First, for Greg to approach a double-bodyweight bench is ludicrous. That’d be closing in on 800 pounds. The all-time raw bench is 738, by a man dedicated to pure strength training. Unlike Kovacs

We disagree -
His inflated body weight allowed him to use weights most half or 2/3 his body weight
Didn’t use.

I’ve Squated 3.5 x BW
Benched 2.2 xBW

And won National champs

You are a dickhead, but I gotta give respect for.that strength

PROPS

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #103 on: April 06, 2018, 12:23:01 PM »

We disagree -
Didn’t use.

I’ve Squated 3.5 x BW
Benched 2.2 xBW

And won National champs

Why didn’t he? The same reason he never pursued offers from the WWE ... He wasn’t interested. Second, the claims weren’t his. People witnessed his considerable feats and then MuscleTech ran with these, but ramped up.

I stood and listened to Kaz and Coan challenge Kovacs to enter a powerlifting meet. Again, he didn’t care. It wasn’t his goal.

I’m not defending his strength nor am I chastising it. I am just telling the tale as reality has it.

P.S. Bill pressing 661 raw in the low 300s says nothing about anything. Him putting on 60 pounds wouldn’t have immediately had him benching an equivalent greater poundage. I know Kaz and have spoken with him at length about these kinds of things.

I am not tearing your knowledge or accomplishments. You’ve obviously achieved a lot and you have my respect. I’m just clearing things up.

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #104 on: April 06, 2018, 01:10:09 PM »
Why didn’t he? The same reason he never pursued offers from the WWE ... He wasn’t interested. Second, the claims weren’t his. People witnessed his considerable feats and then MuscleTech ran with these, but ramped up.

I stood and listened to Kaz and Coan challenge Kovacs to enter a powerlifting meet. Again, he didn’t care. It wasn’t his goal.

I’m not defending his strength nor am I chastising it. I am just telling the tale as reality has it.

P.S. Bill pressing 661 raw in the low 300s says nothing about anything. Him putting on 60 pounds wouldn’t have immediately had him benching an equivalent greater poundage. I know Kaz and have spoken with him at length about these kinds of things.

I am not tearing your knowledge or accomplishments. You’ve obviously achieved a lot and you have my respect. I’m just clearing things up.

We will have to agree to disagree

He didn’t pursue them because he maybe wasn’t interested or was well aware of his own limitations

That’s a powerlifting / strongman great to have as a friend.

Thank you,
I may have achieved more IE a world title if i’d Not been
So Naive about PEDs way back then.

All ifs & buts.

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #105 on: April 06, 2018, 02:28:49 PM »

We will have to agree to disagree

He didn’t pursue them because he maybe wasn’t interested or was well aware of his own limitations

That’s a powerlifting / strongman great to have as a friend.

Thank you,
I may have achieved more IE a world title if i’d Not been
So Naive about PEDs way back then.

All ifs & buts.

No sweat. Like I say, you obviously know your shit.

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #106 on: April 06, 2018, 03:19:54 PM »
No sweat. Like I say, you obviously know your shit.

From what I can recall you’re doing some big numbers in the powerlifts
Natural & raw iirc ?

NelsonMuntz

• Getbig V
  • Getbigs Most Positive Member March&October 2017
« Reply #107 on: April 06, 2018, 03:36:10 PM »
Have to agree with Fortress, in the mags everyone knows the supplement company propped up the strebgth and other legend stuff, but even around the gyms of the toronto area any talk of gregg centred around people saying how big and/or strong he was, never any mention of him bragging, it was always other people. I remember the first time I met him I said the "wow you should be a wrestler thing" and he said he was not interested in that.

The biggest "rumour" people would talk about Gregg right around the time he turned pro was how he supposedly had 2 or 3 small heart attacks already  ::). He also did look pretty good leading up to and turning pro, especially in comparison to after that.

In this day and age Kovacs would not have to compete, he would have been as popular as Piana. But from what the people here who have met or actually knew the guy have just said, he probably would have done the same thing because he was only interested in standing on the Olypia stage as the biggest bodybuilder ever, or something along those lines.
"

Nether Animal

• Getbig V
  • Team Mower Forever
« Reply #108 on: April 06, 2018, 03:42:08 PM »
Never looked better than when he turned pro.

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #109 on: April 06, 2018, 03:44:50 PM »
Have to agree with Fortress, in the mags everyone knows the supplement company propped up the strebgth and other legend stuff, but even around the gyms of the toronto area any talk of gregg centred around people saying how big and/or strong he was, never any mention of him bragging, it was always other people. I remember the first time I met him I said the "wow you should be a wrestler thing" and he said he was not interested in that.

The biggest "rumour" people would talk about Gregg right around the time he turned pro was how he supposedly had 2 or 3 small heart attacks already  ::). He also did look pretty good leading up to and turning pro, especially in comparison to after that.

In this day and age Kovacs would not have to compete, he would have been as popular as Piana. But from what the people here who have met or actually knew the guy have just said, he probably would have done the same thing because he was only interested in standing on the Olypia stage as the biggest bodybuilder ever, or something along those lines.

2 or 3 Heart attack’s  :o already by then
The writing was on the wall & he chose to go full bore and ignore it.
If the rumours were correct.
Jeez way to go Greg.

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #110 on: April 06, 2018, 03:47:29 PM »
Never looked better than when he turned pro.

Yep agree with you

They are the best pics I’ve seen of him by a long way.

mphgrove

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #111 on: April 06, 2018, 03:50:07 PM »
Good pics. Those rear delts are mind boggling.

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #112 on: April 06, 2018, 03:59:30 PM »

From what I can recall you’re doing some big numbers in the powerlifts
Natural & raw iirc ?

Yeah, I’m doing OK, thanks. Drug-free and raw. I still desire a 700 squat, mid-sevens pull and high-fours bench. Not too far off, but strength is a slow pursuit, as those of us who know, know. Plus, I’m 48, so I now prioritize recuperation, as I don’t want to derail my progress with avoidable injuries.

The funny thing is, I’d have more poundage than I do, but I’m one to absolutely cherish pristine technique and hyper control, so as these attributes become more and more honed and pronounced, the weights lifted become more incrementally advanced.

For example, I’m a diehard Olympic squatter, and I won’t accept an even parallel cut on depth, so only ass-to-ankle will do. And extremely “pretty”.

A few inches of stance width, a few less inches of depth, and more “lean”, and I’d put an instant 50-80 pounds on my training numbers. But I want what I want and HOW I want it to occur.

It’s art. Passion. Standard.

It is downright fun. If not a little vexing.

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #113 on: April 06, 2018, 04:10:47 PM »
Yeah, I’m doing OK, thanks. Drug-free and raw. I still desire a 700 squat, mid-sevens pull and high-fours bench. Not too far off, but strength is a slow pursuit, as those of us who know, know. Plus, I’m 48, so I now prioritize recuperation, as I don’t want to derail my progress with avoidable injuries.

The funny thing is, I’d have more poundage than I do, but I’m one to absolutely cherish pristine technique and hyper control, so as these attributes become more and more honed and pronounced, the weights lifted become more incrementally advanced.

For example, I’m a diehard Olympic squatter, and I won’t accept an even parallel cut on depth, so only ass-to-ankle will do. And extremely “pretty”.

A few inches of stance width, a few less inches of depth, and more “lean”, and I’d put an instant 50-80 pounds on my training numbers. But I want what I want and HOW I want it to occur.

It’s art. Passion. Standard.

It is downright fun. If not a little vexing.

Excellent going !!
Big dead-lifter
What’s your body weight ?

I like that exacting form also
Adds to the pure lift experience

48 just a youngster then.

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #114 on: April 06, 2018, 04:20:17 PM »
Excellent going !!
Big dead-lifter
What’s your body weight ?

I like that exacting form also
Adds to the pure lift experience

48 just a youngster then.

I’m around 275-80.   

And thanks for your kind words. Much appreciated.

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #115 on: April 07, 2018, 01:07:59 AM »
2 or 3 Heart attack’s  :o already by then
The writing was on the wall & he chose to go full bore and ignore it.
If the rumours were correct.
Jeez way to go Greg.

On December 3rd of 2000, Greg came to my city of Thunder Bay, Canada [which is in the province of Ontario, where Greg was born and raised, and I lived in until his death], and my friend told me that Greg had allegedly suffered, as you quoted, 2-3 heart attacks.

I have no idea if that was true.  When he came to Thunder Bay, he was tipping the scales just north of 400-lb.  He may have been around 410, something like that.

On Canada's "MUSCLE INSIDER" magazine's website, Greg stated that he was 365-lb in 2012, just under two years before he died.  On a radio/podcast interview with Dave Palumbo, Greg also stated that if he had it is way, he would just train for fun, and weigh around 400-lb.
 So clearly, he enjoyed being 400-lb at 25% body fat, or whatever percentage he was at, despite the pain that came with it.

Given that Greg died in 2013 and was 365-lb in 2012, I think that it is safe to say that he was likely around 365-lb when he passed away.  Here is the MUSCLE INSIDER article where he stated that his max weight was 412-lb:

https://muscleinsider.com/columns/average-bodybuilding-diet

In this MUSCLE INSIDER article/interview, Greg states that his max weight was 416-lb:

https://muscleinsider.com/features/lost-interview-one-one-greg-kovacs

In other articles - also on MUSCLE INSIDER - Greg stated that he weighed between 410-420, and that fans would be disappointed if he showed up to an appearance weighing 395-lb, rather than 400-lb.  That must have played on his Bigorexia a lot.  :-\

Tony Doherty - long time promoter of the Australia Pro Show - stated that Greg was quite insecure.  The stories were sad.

I think we can most likely state with confidence that Greg weighed over 400-lb between 1995-2005, and that even going back as far as Greg's 19th birthday in December of 1987, he was almost surely around 290-lb and ripped.

Greg was likely over 300-lb from 1986-2013 [aside from early contests that Greg competed in between 1989-1994, where he cut down to as light as 270-lb, literally at the very lightest, and that would have only been in 1989-1990].

Think about that:

Greg spent 27 of his [just under] 45 years of life weighing over 300-lb.

Greg spent around 10 of those 27 years weighing over 400-lb.

The latter fact is probably the most significant one to think about when considering the toll on his cardiovascular system - between 1995-2005, aside from the four contests he competed in [turning pro in 1996, then the 1997 NOC, and both the 1998/2001 Ironman contests, the last of which he dropped out of], Greg was consistently 400-lb or more at 6'2.

For some appearances, he may have weighed a little less, but even at those times, he would have been taxing his body by using cutting agents to lose weight.

All this considered, Greg led a unique, but in my opinion, ultimately sad life.  :-\

Here is a video I did showing some rare photos of Greg, posted by his sister on her Facebook page, tagged with Greg's name:

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #116 on: April 07, 2018, 01:16:00 AM »
Well, that is about 10" bigger than mine and yet somehow I am not envious.

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #117 on: April 07, 2018, 01:25:47 AM »
I’m around 275-80.   

And thanks for your kind words. Much appreciated.

Your welcome

They are very strong poundages
And that’s impressive
Coupled with Great Form

Is a pleasure to watch big poundages
Being moved in such controlled manner.

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #118 on: April 07, 2018, 01:37:31 AM »
On December 3rd of 2000, Greg came to my city of Thunder Bay, Canada [which is in the province of Ontario, where Greg was born and raised, and I lived in until his death], and my friend told me that Greg had allegedly suffered, as you quoted, 2-3 heart attacks.

I have no idea if that was true.  When he came to Thunder Bay, he was tipping the scales just north of 400-lb.  He may have been around 410, something like that.

On Canada's "MUSCLE INSIDER" magazine's website, Greg stated that he was 365-lb in 2012, just under two years before he died.  On a radio/podcast interview with Dave Palumbo, Greg also stated that if he had it is way, he would just train for fun, and weigh around 400-lb.
 So clearly, he enjoyed being 400-lb at 25% body fat, or whatever percentage he was at, despite the pain that came with it.

Given that Greg died in 2013 and was 365-lb in 2012, I think that it is safe to say that he was likely around 365-lb when he passed away.  Here is the MUSCLE INSIDER article where he stated that his max weight was 412-lb:

https://muscleinsider.com/columns/average-bodybuilding-diet

In this MUSCLE INSIDER article/interview, Greg states that his max weight was 416-lb:

https://muscleinsider.com/features/lost-interview-one-one-greg-kovacs

In other articles - also on MUSCLE INSIDER - Greg stated that he weighed between 410-420, and that fans would be disappointed if he showed up to an appearance weighing 395-lb, rather than 400-lb.  That must have played on his Bigorexia a lot.  :-\

Tony Doherty - long time promoter of the Australia Pro Show - stated that Greg was quite insecure.  The stories were sad.

I think we can most likely state with confidence that Greg weighed over 400-lb between 1995-2005, and that even going back as far as Greg's 19th birthday in December of 1987, that Greg was over 300-lb from 1986-2013 [aside from early contests that Greg competed in between 1989-1994].

Think about that:

Greg spent 27 of his [just under] 45 years of life weighing over 300-lb.

Greg spent around 10 of those 27 years weighing over 400-lb.

The latter fact is probably the most significant one to think about when considering the toll on his cardiovascular system - between 1995-2005, aside from the four contests he competed in [turning pro in 1996, then the 1997 NOC, and both the 1998/2001 Ironman contests, the last of which he dropped out of], Greg was consistently 400-lb or more at 6'2.

For some appearances, he may have weighed a little less, but even at those times, he would have been taxing his body by using cutting agents to lose weight.

All this considered, Greg led a unique, but in my opinion, ultimately sad life.  :-\

Here is a video I did showing some rare photos of Greg, posted by his sister on YouTube:

Quite sad reading
Weighing an average of approx 360lbs for so long coupled with his PED usage
Though it may of not been overly excessive & if he had heart issues at a young age
Not a good combination for extended healthy heart function.

As much as I’m not at all impressed with his physique
Or Claimed lifting poundages his claims or others

He died a young man
And from the bits I’ve read a decent enough man.

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #119 on: April 07, 2018, 03:42:09 PM »
Quite sad reading
Weighing an average of approx 360lbs for so long coupled with his PED usage
Though it may of not been overly excessive & if he had heart issues at a young age
Not a good combination for extended healthy heart function.

As much as I’m not at all impressed with his physique
Or Claimed lifting poundages his claims or others

He died a young man
And from the bits I’ve read a decent enough man.

Great post, illuminati.

I agree with you - it is sad to think about these things.  I sort of looked at Greg as being the alpha of alphas when I first heard about him in 2000, but was that really the case?  Perhaps physically, but he was a bit of a teddy bear in terms of personality, and by all rights, a super nice guy.  In addition to being a very insecure person, who never thought he was good enough, and used more body weight as a proxy for quality, when he looked amazing when he turned pro.  He said that his wife made a comment between prejudging and finals to the effect "The light-heavyweight competitor is shredded - judges like that", which really messed with Greg's mind.  Poor guy.  Although to be fair, Greg's wife apparently did a lot for him.  He brought home the money, and she took care of everything else.  Below is a video that discusses whether or not it was the body weight of the PEDs that killed Greg - or some combination of both.  Although ultimately, we can only speculate.

PS - your lifts are great.  I had no idea how strong you were.  My lifts are not close to yours, be it in absolute numbers or as a percentage of my body weight.  My most impressive lifts would be presses, but still nothing close to what you have done.  If you don't mind my asking, what weight do you compete at?

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #120 on: April 07, 2018, 11:27:17 PM »
Great post, illuminati.

I agree with you - it is sad to think about these things.  I sort of looked at Greg as being the alpha of alphas when I first heard about him in 2000, but was that really the case?  Perhaps physically, but he was a bit of a teddy bear in terms of personality, and by all rights, a super nice guy.  In addition to being a very insecure person, who never thought he was good enough, and used more body weight as a proxy for quality, when he looked amazing when he turned pro.  He said that his wife made a comment between prejudging and finals to the effect "The light-heavyweight competitor is shredded - judges like that", which really messed with Greg's mind.  Poor guy.  Although to be fair, Greg's wife apparently did a lot for him.  He brought home the money, and she took care of everything else.  Below is a video that discusses whether or not it was the body weight of the PEDs that killed Greg - or some combination of both.  Although ultimately, we can only speculate.

PS - your lifts are great.  I had no idea how strong you were.  My lifts are not close to yours, be it in absolute numbers or as a percentage of my body weight.  My most impressive lifts would be presses, but still nothing close to what you have done.  If you don't mind my asking, what weight do you compete at?

Clearly Greg had some demons he never got to grips with
He is best look was in those pics posted if he had just
Slowly added & refined that look instead of becoming a strongman
Type physique on & off stage.

Thanks
Like you my pressing movements were all strong I say were
As in a m/b accident tore my left triceps & pec  :'(
Pisses me off wish it had damaged my deadlifting instead
As was not to good at that.. Ha

I competed in powerlifting at 75 / 82.5 kg many many yrs ago
Loved it - I Then met and became very good friends with a mr universe
Winner & got into bodybuilding or power building as I call it
Wanting a good physique & being as strong as possible.

Don’t put your lifting accomplishments down you do very well.

NelsonMuntz

• Getbig V
  • Getbigs Most Positive Member March&October 2017
« Reply #121 on: April 08, 2018, 02:42:00 AM »
Great post, illuminati.

I think the irony will be you talking about how you fear for everyone who weighs over 200lbs's health yet you grew up and have literally lived downstream from the polluted waters caused by all the pulp mills in your area.

I fear for your health Matt.

"

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #122 on: April 27, 2018, 07:40:42 AM »
Horseshit.

Danimal77

• Getbig V
  • Yo Adrian
« Reply #123 on: April 27, 2018, 07:53:03 AM »
Very briefly. Met both Victor Richards and Greg Kovacs in the nineties with both in pretty amazing condition. I'm a legit 6 foot 4 and at the time I met them weighed somewhere around 280 pounds. First off - the thing I remember about Richards was that his upper leg from the side was basically a circle. His hams and quads were so pronounced that when he walked he basically had to waddle. His forearms were insane but also remember that his back really really stood out as a massive weakness - the rest of him was so complete that his back, if judged apart from the rest of him was probably pretty ok, but in regards the whole package it stood out like a sore thumb, it was crap compared to the rest of him. Oh, last thing, Richards is full of BS and basically just talks shit (which I think he actually believes which makes me think he might be nuts, I mean really nuts.

Now, Kovacs: went to his seminar, freakishly massive. I'd guess around 6 foot 2 or 3, hard to tell from basically watching him talk sitting  behind a desk for two hours. Remember him having serious breathing issues - sounded like he was a major asthmatic and sweated like a pig. Drank maybe 2 gallons of water whilst just sitting talking over two hours, the whole time sweating like a rapist.
I then met him at my local gym and seizing the opportunity I managed to train with him for an hour or so.
Based on that experience what I can tell you is that he was massive - bigger than Richards by  big margin. His biceps were insane when flexed. He did a front thigh pose in front of me and I can tell you now, when his biceps popped when he put his hands behind his head, biggest I've ever seen. One of my training partners at the time had legit 22 inch arms and 33 inch quads at about 5 foot 8 and Kovacs was just way way bigger than that. Seriously I don't have too much trouble believing his arms were close on 25/26 inches. His quads were insanely big as well, and we did good mornings and some weird lunges and he was doing good mornings with 225 on his shoulders like it was absolutely nothing. Again, guy was just suffering all the time with breathing - his heart must have been under massive pressure all the time - didn't look healthy at all and was constantly out of puff even when doing nothing and just standing talking. Seemed like an alright guy, was much better when he wasn't around his annoying wife (seriously she was like a squawking parrrot and basically tried to talk for him all the time at the seminar). Anyways that's the truth, and I've trained and hung about with some seriously huge bodybuilders many moons ago and Kovacs seriously dwarfed them all.

Sounds about right.

Hard Fast

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #124 on: November 16, 2021, 11:12:26 AM »