Author Topic: Tilapia: Your thoughts on this CONTROVERSIAL fish  (Read 9396 times)

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
Re: Tilapia: Your thoughts on this CONTROVERSIAL fish
« Reply #75 on: April 12, 2018, 12:05:01 PM »
Getbig is literally always wrong.

You must’ve missed my post predicting that Trump would win the presidency with 310 electoral votes. I was one percentage point in New Hampshire away from nailing it exactly.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #76 on: April 12, 2018, 12:56:04 PM »
So.  What's the best tuna?

Or, have you ever asked yourself:

Who holds the key, that winds up Big Ben?

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #77 on: April 12, 2018, 01:15:47 PM »
Let’s be honest. Fish sucks. I could live out my days quite nicely without ever eating another piece of any type of fish.

Chicken, turkey and beef.👍

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #78 on: April 12, 2018, 02:42:03 PM »
Sardines and mackerel, cheap,  quality, wild fish, look no further ... if i was on a really low budget i’d eat sardines everyday ... the taste and smell is what keeps me from practising this

Sardines are a much more sustainable fish source because they generally contain much lower levels of toxins than larger predatory fish.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #79 on: April 12, 2018, 03:47:45 PM »

Sardines are a much more sustainable fish source because they generally contain much lower levels of toxins than larger predatory fish.

I don’t think sardines have ever made anybody’s mouth water.  I can eat them but they’re not a food I would seek out.

How’s life, Mont?

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #80 on: April 12, 2018, 04:10:27 PM »
I don’t think sardines have ever made anybody’s mouth water.  I can eat them but they’re not a food I would seek out.
A few people, maybe...

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=615716.0

tres_taco_combo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #81 on: April 12, 2018, 04:57:21 PM »
is white fish the best protein pre contest?

arm chair expert - yes

digests easy, you always end up eating less of it too -

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #82 on: April 12, 2018, 06:05:02 PM »
Canned tuna seems to have lower sodium levels than the bagged versions. I like eating the tuna with salsa.

My fucking mind is blown. I have never even thought about adding salsa to tuna. I'm going to try that. Thanks hoss.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #83 on: April 12, 2018, 06:14:06 PM »

How’s life, Mont?

I really enjoy the Brunswick smoked in olive oil when I'm doing Keto.
But... I'm also a huge fish & seafood fan.

I'm doing okay, brother. Staying busy and making money.
How about yourself?

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #84 on: April 12, 2018, 06:31:02 PM »
Getbig is literally always wrong. There was a thread going on a few days ago where both participants managed to be factually wrong despite disagreeing with each other, and only needed to do a simple dictionary search to prove it... which no one bothered doing for 4 pages. You agreed with someone that a better tasting option to eating tilapia was eating a fish that that poster admitted smelled and tasted worse.  Of course this thread is still going on. People have these bizarrely passionate ideas about this simple fish. That's the reason this thread was started. If you're not interested, you know what your options are
Tomorrow is Friday. Cracker Barrel has Fish Fry Fridays, which is farm raised catfish. Enjoy. Or fry up some whiting and have some hush puppies and be done with it.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #85 on: April 12, 2018, 07:47:00 PM »
Seems like no one really gives a shit about the literal shit that comes out of Southeast Asia.
 :-X :-X :-X

Haha of course we give a shit about you, you purple menace you. I thought the points you were bringing up were going to be the main topic of the thread, with "tilapia is for poor people" being a close second.

So, a little backstory. I didn't eat tilapia regularly until recently. I was vaguely aware of the warnings, didn't look into it much further , so just avoided it. There was other seafood I liked, there were other proteins I liked and my plant intake has gone up a lot in the last few years, so I wasn't missing anything. Maybe about a year or two years ago, we were at the grocery store and needed some white fish for a fish salad. We both said let's not do tilapia, so we got basa, which neither of us had heard of at that time. When we got home I looked it up and I was surprised that its nutritional profile was so different from tilapia. Did a little research and was like, tilapia's a pretty decent fish, especially if you get it from a place that raises it responsibly, blah, blah blah. Still didn't start eating it regularly until amazon bought whole foods and dropped the price late last year.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago. Was watching the finale of the show top chef with my wife and one of the challenges is catching a fish from a river and cooking it in 30 minutes. One of the contestants takes a long time to catch her fish and she says that she's only going to have time to make a trout sushi. We looked at each other and were like "Can you make that? I've never seen trout sushi." The show judge familiar with the area said  that it's not safe to eat undercooked fish from that river because the wildlife around there shits in it and the fish live in a contaminated environment. They ended up disqualifying her dish. so there's two interesting aspects about that to me. 1- There's the acknowledgement that the fresh, wild caught fish is not necessarily safe. 2)It's a "fancy" cooking show, so there's the aspect of these gourmands eating fish that just came out of toilet water.

So, this got me thinking about how a lot of people consider tilapia. It has such a negative reputation, but a lot of the things that it gets derided for either aren't negatives or aren't really unique to farmed fish. Wild caught fish aren't necessarily less likely to carry disease or toxins. There is an increase in the amount of sushi places using farmed fish not only because of price, but because it is generally considered safer and more consistent. Farming fish is the best way to guarantee sustainability. Part of the reason tilapia exploded in the last 15 years is because there was a gap in the market after some other fish variants collapsed. We don't get any other food, much less a major protein, in any other way. In terms of health,  even with lower Omega 3s than wild caught, farmed tilapia still has a high level of them.

I specifically was not addressing you because I think some of the things you posted are the most legitimate concerns about the rise of cheap tilapia, but I also think it reasonable to question how widespread and how dangerous those concerns are.

tres_taco_combo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: April 12, 2018, 09:59:30 PM »
My fucking mind is blown. I have never even thought about adding salsa to tuna. I'm going to try that. Thanks hoss.

my old goto

drain the water, add hot sauce and sunflower seeds and mix it up

seCrawler

• Getbig IV
« Reply #87 on: April 12, 2018, 10:17:55 PM »
So.  What's the best tuna?

Albacore

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #88 on: April 12, 2018, 10:20:23 PM »

be back

« Reply #89 on: April 13, 2018, 12:12:38 AM »
. Maybe about a year or two years ago, we were at the grocery store and needed some white fish for a fish salad. We both said let's not do tilapia, so we got basa, which neither of us had heard of at that time. When we got home I looked it up and I was surprised that its nutritional profile was so different from tilapia.
Basa fillets taste like dirty dishwater, absolutely gross

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #90 on: April 13, 2018, 02:14:01 AM »
The show judge familiar with the area said  that it's not safe to eat undercooked fish from that river because the wildlife around there shits in it and the fish live in a contaminated environment. They ended up disqualifying her dish. so there's two interesting aspects about that to me. 1- There's the acknowledgement that the fresh, wild caught fish is not necessarily safe. 2)It's a "fancy" cooking show, so there's the aspect of these gourmands eating fish that just came out of toilet water.

I wish I could hear or read the full quote. I'd be more concerned about sewage and other manmade pollution - depending on the river.
But as for the "concern" over animals shitting in it...

In all my years hunting, fishing, camping, and hiking... I've never once seen any land animal go to a body of water specifically to shit in it. I'm not saying it doesn't happen; just that it doesn't seem common. I'll also concede that some amount of deer shit, bear shit, raccoon shit, possum shit, squirrel shit, coyote shit, chipmunk shit, etc. finds its way into rivers and streams as a result of rain runoff, but it's still nowhere near the concentration of shit that water would see if even just some of those animals regularly used the river as a toilet.

Naturally, aquatic life will shit in their respective habitat, but that constitutes a normal part of their ecosystem. Also, in rivers, the water is constantly moving, and there's usually a good bit of it. The fish and their shit are spread out. It's not like they're all crapping into a bucket. The shit gets diluted into many parts water.

Point is: ALL rivers contain natural amounts of wildlife shit. That DOES NOT make them "polluted."

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #91 on: April 13, 2018, 03:56:34 AM »

I really enjoy the Brunswick smoked in olive oil when I'm doing Keto.
But... I'm also a huge fish & seafood fan.

I'm doing okay, brother. Staying busy and making money.
How about yourself?

Glad to hear it’s going well. I can’t complain.

Can’t remember the last time I had fish. I think it was in an all you can eat buffet up in Saratoga.

Back to the topic at hand:

If you go to a low-end salad bar you often see tilapia. The high-end places will primarily have salmon. Given a choice between the two, would anybody go with the former? The only reason to do so is financial. I don’t bargain hunt when it comes to food.

Go 4 It

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • "The World Meets Nobody Half Way"
« Reply #92 on: April 13, 2018, 08:24:01 AM »

I wish I could hear or read the full quote. I'd be more concerned about sewage and other manmade pollution - depending on the river.

In all my years hunting, fishing, camping, and hiking... I've never once seen any land animal go to a body of water specifically to shit in it. I'm not saying it doesn't happen; just that it doesn't seem common. I'll also concede that some amount of deer shit, bear shit, raccoon shit, possum shit, squirrel shit, coyote shit, chipmunk shit, etc. finds its way into rivers and streams as a result of rain runoff, but it's still nowhere near the concentration of shit that water would see if even just some of those animals regularly used the river as a toilet.

Naturally, aquatic life will shit in their respective habitat, but that constitutes a normal part of their ecosystem. Also, in rivers, the water is constantly moving, and there's usually a good bit of it. The fish and their shit are spread out. It's not like they're all crapping into a bucket. The shit gets diluted into many parts water.

Point is: ALL rivers contain natural amounts of wildlife shit. That DOES NOT make them "polluted."
Reading this brought to my mind about the ocean and wild caught fish, I remember when I first started working on the ship after a morning breakfast service I was walking through a galley and I say them dumping pans full of food, eggs Bennedict, pancakes, bacon sausage, etc, then I witnessed an outdoor bar and grill dump tons of hamburgers, hot dogs, fries, etc...I asked what happens to all this food? The chef told me it get mashed up in a pulper and dispensed into the ocean, it has to be a certain distance off the shoreline to dispense it, but it all gets dumped into the ocean. So now you got fish and marine life eating things that have zero business being in the ocean.  So again our food supply is fucked.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #93 on: April 13, 2018, 08:50:14 AM »

Because it's just another sewer fish out of Southeast Asia, predominantly the Mekong river.  Again, one of the most polluted rivers in the world.  Raw human sewage is pumped into the river.  Pig and chicken farmers also dump into the river to feed the fish.  In fact, many fish farmers are also chicken farmers and they house their chicken cages right over their fish farm.

http://beforeitsnews.com/food-and-farming/2014/09/imported-chinese-tilapia-are-often-raised-on-feces-2469544.html
:

residue

• Getbig V
  • Adonis 3:16
« Reply #94 on: April 13, 2018, 09:05:53 AM »
Reading this brought to my mind about the ocean and wild caught fish, I remember when I first started working on the ship after a morning breakfast service I was walking through a galley and I say them dumping pans full of food, eggs Bennedict, pancakes, bacon sausage, etc, then I witnessed an outdoor bar and grill dump tons of hamburgers, hot dogs, fries, etc...I asked what happens to all this food? The chef told me it get mashed up in a pulper and dispensed into the ocean, it has to be a certain distance off the shoreline to dispense it, but it all gets dumped into the ocean. So now you got fish and marine life eating things that have zero business being in the ocean.  So again our food supply is fucked.
minuscule amounts

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #95 on: April 13, 2018, 11:13:54 AM »

Yeah. Now we know

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #96 on: April 13, 2018, 11:16:10 AM »

I only phrased it like that for the sake of brevity to make a specific point. On the show, he said something like "does a bear shit in the woods? And shit flows  downhill...". He didn't specifically use the words contaminated or polluted.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #97 on: April 13, 2018, 02:24:33 PM »
Fish is for poofters, real men eat beef.... wait that didn’t come out right  ;D
A

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #98 on: April 13, 2018, 03:39:54 PM »

I only phrased it like that for the sake of brevity to make a specific point. On the show, he said something like "does a bear shit in the woods? And shit flows  downhill...". He didn't specifically use the words contaminated or polluted.

Okay.

I'll give him a pass.

They need to dramatize it a lot for television.

Desolate

• Getbig V
  • I dream of Gods
« Reply #99 on: April 13, 2018, 05:01:06 PM »
Albacore

Agree.

But I wonder about the mercury.

As I posted, I am averaging about two cans per week and worry if that is too much. :-\