Author Topic: Scott Wilson RIP  (Read 21180 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Re: Scott Wilson RIP
« Reply #75 on: May 17, 2018, 02:43:19 PM »
He looked great. 68 is still quite a good age.

Not like todays guys that die in their 20:s 30:s 40:s.

Ouch! :-X

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #76 on: May 17, 2018, 02:47:00 PM »
 :)

Big Pat

• Getbig II
« Reply #77 on: May 17, 2018, 08:13:49 PM »
"I trained for awhile at Bill Golumbicks gym, the old Quanset hut....He had one piece of equipment that was made from a transmission. Didn't get to know Bill very well, He didn't say much, just glared at people."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

Yes, Mr. Golumbick moved his gym from Lemon Grove to the old military base at Gillespie Field. That is where I met Matt Mahaydic who managed the gym. I do remember the  Preacher bench made from a 3 speed car transmission that sat in the main room. Because it was a "key" club with 24 hour access Bill cabled a lot of the bars to specific benches. As you know  Bill loved his signs that reminded people to put the bars/weights away and not use belts against the vinyl. I sent a friend up to his last gym in La Mesa_Parkway Fitness and he said Bill would  survey the gym before he left and make sure things were put away properly. One story he told was about Bill finding non metric plates on the metric only Oly. bar on the lifting platform, so he chained the bar down for a week. It was his gym and he did things his way. At one time he built all the equipment that was in his gym, even the dumbbells from scratch. Very talented to say the least. His gym was the best equipped gym I have ever seen.

For Scott: I talked to my friend and he said everyone called Bill's brother (half brother) Crow Jack, and now I know why-LOL!

Be safe and strong,

Pat

oldgolds

• Getbig IV
« Reply #78 on: May 18, 2018, 07:32:20 AM »
"I'm getting old(er), but I remember Kroger's being in Lakeside (where Scott Wilson was from).  VBC was great in either location!  Had a code to get in anytime, any day.   Here's a memory question:   Do you remember "Crow"?   Grin

Then VBC moved and became (I think) "Parkway Fitness".   Stern's was totally bitchin'.  Still is from what I hear.  Still above the Chinese laundry and still loaded with character.  One of the Brown's owns it now, not Alan but his brother whose name escapes me right now.  Leo was great.  From what I recall he lost both his sons, the older to drugs and the younger one to AIDS.   I've seen a few guys from Leos from back in the day.  We're all ancient now but the memories are still as fresh as ever.  

I don't recall meeting Wilson but Kroger I did meet and he seemed a good guy.  Vogel too.  I remember when he won the Teenage Mr. San Diego.  Damn fine build on the guy".
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Used to be a gym in the upper Pacific Beach area owned by an older guy named Malon/Mylen?   Everyone called him Coach Malon....He had a drinking problem and crashed his car into a pizzaria...Paul Edney bought the gym and refurbished it and opened it as a branch of his Pauls Pacific Gym....Didn't last long. In the late 90's Coach Malon/Mylen resurfaced as a trainer at a small gym on Oceanside Blvd. in Oceanside...Nice guy...
Mr. Kroger's gym was on Rea St. just a block off Main St. in El Cajon. Mr. Kroger bought the gym from Mylen Wiltse a Chargers coach who started the gym in the 60's. VBC was started in Lemon Grove, then moved to El Cajon and then later to La Mesa where it became Parkway Fitness. Never trained in at any of the locations but visited it from time to time to talk with Matt Mahaydic (sp)  who managed the gym and sold supplements. Quite a few "interesting' gym members to say the least, never knew anyone called "Crow".

I knew Mr. Stern very well, his son Michael ran the gym but died of cancer, that is when he decided to sell the gym. I did know his son David who ran the equipment company after Leo retired. Don't know if he is still alive or not. Shannon/ Sherman Brown is the one who owns it now.

Scott Wilson was tauted by many as Mr. Kroger protegee . His graduated from El Capitan HS in Lakeside and was a wrestler. Always drove a '56 White Ford convertible when I saw him. Never cared for Glenn Vogle. If I remember correctly Wayne Collins was the last owner of the gym before it closed down. Met a former gym member named Dewy who was a very good friend of Mr. Wilson and told me that Vogel challenged Scott to a BP contest. Not even close as Mr. Wilson (like Mr. Kroger) were  well rounded lifters that could hold their own in PL, OL and of course bodybuilding.  

Lots of fine memories to be sure.

Be safe and strong,

Pat

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #79 on: October 15, 2018, 04:24:10 AM »
Anyone remember towards the end of his career (I want to say late 80's or early 90's) he was promoting high intensity training and was even in one or a couple of Darden's books

I remember articles in Flex (or maybe MD) with him and Brian Homka training at Gold San Jose
I think he may have also trained at Worlds Gym in Campbell (now gone) which was only a few blocks down the street from my office.   I was a member of that gym for a few years.  That was a great gym
yeah I had musclemag articles of him from 83 or so and he was doing 20 sets a body part then by 88 he was doing 8 sets max.

oldgolds

• Getbig IV
« Reply #80 on: October 17, 2018, 09:38:45 AM »
"I trained for awhile at Bill Golumbicks gym, the old Quanset hut....He had one piece of equipment that was made from a transmission. Didn't get to know Bill very well, He didn't say much, just glared at people."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

Yes, Mr. Golumbick moved his gym from Lemon Grove to the old military base at Gillespie Field. That is where I met Matt Mahaydic who managed the gym. I do remember the  Preacher bench made from a 3 speed car transmission that sat in the main room. Because it was a "key" club with 24 hour access Bill cabled a lot of the bars to specific benches. As you know  Bill loved his signs that reminded people to put the bars/weights away and not use belts against the vinyl. I sent a friend up to his last gym in La Mesa_Parkway Fitness and he said Bill would  survey the gym before he left and make sure things were put away properly. One story he told was about Bill finding non metric plates on the metric only Oly. bar on the lifting platform, so he chained the bar down for a week. It was his gym and he did things his way. At one time he built all the equipment that was in his gym, even the dumbbells from scratch. Very talented to say the least. His gym was the best equipped gym I have ever seen.

Hey Pat...used to be a guy named Pat who was part owner of Fitness and Muscle in Kearney Mesa...Is that you?

For Scott: I talked to my friend and he said everyone called Bill's brother (half brother) Crow Jack, and now I know why-LOL!

Be safe and strong,

Pat

ilalin

• Getbig IV
  • Боже правде
« Reply #81 on: October 17, 2018, 12:33:52 PM »
so..what was the cause of death?
just don't say life

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #82 on: October 17, 2018, 12:38:35 PM »
so..what was the cause of death?
just don't say life

Cancer

Fallsview

• Getbig V
  • Mr. Gulf Coast 1994,95,99
« Reply #83 on: October 17, 2018, 03:16:50 PM »
Goodmorrow I Am FALLSVIEW

Scott lived a clean life. He practiced what he preached.

His typical diet reported to Gregg Zulak for MuscleMag International is as follows:

4am. Liver tabs, Muscle Builder shake

5am. train

8am Eggs, toast and veggies

10am. Liver tabs, Anabolic Mega Pak

12pm. Duck breast, beet soup

2pm. Train

4pm. Anabolic Mega Pak PM

7pm. 2 rice cakes

9pm. Muscle Builder shake, Peanut butter on slice of toast.

10pm. Bed

1am. Wake for Anabolic Mega Pak AM

As you can see the guy was a beast...he ate like a beast...clean and calorie compact.

WHO WANTS TO WALK WITH FALLSVIEW?

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #84 on: October 17, 2018, 10:07:41 PM »
I remember when those liver pills were all the rage. I use to sit and swallow 10 of those horse pills one by one.

honest

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #85 on: October 17, 2018, 10:19:59 PM »
Freeze dried liver tabs, Life essence and anabolic mega paks, wake up everyday check the mirror to see if it was working lol.

oldgolds

• Getbig IV
« Reply #86 on: October 18, 2018, 07:52:04 AM »
He lived a clean life if one considers huge amounts of artificially introduced hormones "clean".

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #87 on: October 18, 2018, 09:45:24 AM »
I remember when those liver pills were all the rage. I use to sit and swallow 10 of those horse pills one by one.
Yup, been there done that.