Author Topic: Best/Worst moves and the wrestlers who do them  (Read 16547 times)

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
Best/Worst moves and the wrestlers who do them
« on: May 08, 2018, 05:53:08 PM »
It's simple.  You pick a move and then name the wrestler that does it best and the wrestler that does it worse.

Powerslam - Best Ted Dibiase - Worst Steve Williams

DDT - Best Jake The Snake   Worst Randy Orton  (hate that lame ass hanging DDT he does)

Clothesline - Best Rick Steiner  - Worst British Bulldog

stingray

• Getbig III
Re: Best/Worst moves and the wrestlers who do them
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 03:17:29 AM »
best clotheline-Maybe JBL

spear-Goldberg

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 07:27:54 PM »
Best Flying Shoulder Tackle: Ultimate Warrior

Best Flying Elbow off top: Macho Man

Best Running Legdrop: Hulk (when he actually puts effort into it)

Worst Clothesline: Lex Lugar

Worst Running Legdrop: Hulk (when he does a lazy one)

Best running powerslam: British Bulldog
Best off ropes powerslam: road warrior Animal

Flower Boy Ran Away

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 07:56:37 PM »
It's simple.  You pick a move and then name the wrestler that does it best and the wrestler that does it worse.

Powerslam - Best Ted Dibiase - Worst Steve Williams

DDT - Best Jake The Snake   Worst Randy Orton  (hate that lame ass hanging DDT he does)

Clothesline - Best Rick Steiner  - Worst British Bulldog

Which type of powerslam?

If it’s the off-the-ropes kind, the best goes to Animal of LOD. Worst goes to Randy Orton.

Spinebuster - Best: Ron Simmons (as Faarooq Assad). It’s as if he wanted to cripple his opponent for having to wear that silver/blue helmet.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 08:05:15 AM »
Which type of powerslam?

If it’s the off-the-ropes kind, the best goes to Animal of LOD. Worst goes to Randy Orton.

Spinebuster - Best: Ron Simmons (as Faarooq Assad). It’s as if he wanted to cripple his opponent for having to wear that silver/blue helmet.

Spine Buster - best is Arn Anderson.  Without a doubt.  And no one could fall victim to a AA spine buster better than Ricky Morton.  The way he just clicked into place for Arn to pick and snap over and then the way he sold it.....   
Ron Simmons was great, but it wasn't the typical spine buster.  Even in his APA days, his version was to catch the opponent, lift them up, then place his hand on their chest and shove them down with utter contempt.   Like "you ain't even worth the effort of me falling down with" It was like a Pimp Version Spine Buster.
I will admit I like the Spine Buster than Goldberg did sometimes and that the famous Japanese wrestler does a lot (not sure of his name but he is well known for it), it starts with an full press overhead of the opponent, then a quarter turn and they are dropped to land draped over the shoulder, then immediately the wrestler snaps them over in the spine buster move.  Goldberg would sometimes do it with them landing the other way and turn it into a standing powerslam.

Off the rope powerslam.  Animal is good but Dibiase and Steiner were better, they caught the opponent, lift them up overhead, then at the height began a full rotation of the opponents body and their body that saw both of them in the air by the 3/4th completion part of the move.  Luger used to do a good one, but then he got to where he would throw them into the ropes, scoop them up and then just turn his body around and fall to his knees.  It was horrible.  It was basically like he was a 180 hip swivel and falling down. 
The Barbarian back in his days of being managed by Paul Jones had a fantastic one.  He would throw them into the ropes and by the time they came back he was already airborne in a horizontal position.  He would catch them while he was in mid air and snap them over.
Stand Power Slam version - Buzz Sawyer. 

While I am thinking of it :

Best Torture Rack - Hercules Hernandez.   Worst version - Luger.   Hercules actually had them flat across his back while he cranked it down.  Luger was lazy and always picked them up sideways. It was more like a kidney crunch than a back breaker.

Best Super Kick - Shawn Michaels .  Worst Superkick - any one by Sweet Stan Lane

Best Sleeperhold - Purple Haze/Maniac/Mark     Worst - Randy Orton

Best Cutter move - DDP    Worst - Randy Orton.   No contest here, DDP polished and honed that move to really come out of nowhere and at any time.  Orton pales in contrast to him. 

Best Figure four - Ric Flair   Worst - Dusty Rhodes

Best neckbreaker - Rick Rude     Worst Honky Tonk Man

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 08:10:04 AM »
best clotheline-Maybe JBL

spear-Goldberg

Worst Spear - Batista

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 08:38:38 AM »
Best DDT = Jake Roberts - Worst = everyone else

Best Spear = Goldberg - Worst = everyone else

Best figure four = Ric Flair - Worst = everyone else

Moral of the story, come up with your own finishing moves WWE stars :):):)  ;)

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 09:00:25 PM »
Spine Buster - best is Arn Anderson.  Without a doubt.  And no one could fall victim to a AA spine buster better than Ricky Morton.  The way he just clicked into place for Arn to pick and snap over and then the way he sold it.....   
Ron Simmons was great, but it wasn't the typical spine buster.  Even in his APA days, his version was to catch the opponent, lift them up, then place his hand on their chest and shove them down with utter contempt.   Like "you ain't even worth the effort of me falling down with" It was like a Pimp Version Spine Buster.
I will admit I like the Spine Buster than Goldberg did sometimes and that the famous Japanese wrestler does a lot (not sure of his name but he is well known for it), it starts with an full press overhead of the opponent, then a quarter turn and they are dropped to land draped over the shoulder, then immediately the wrestler snaps them over in the spine buster move.  Goldberg would sometimes do it with them landing the other way and turn it into a standing powerslam.

Off the rope powerslam.  Animal is good but Dibiase and Steiner were better, they caught the opponent, lift them up overhead, then at the height began a full rotation of the opponents body and their body that saw both of them in the air by the 3/4th completion part of the move.  Luger used to do a good one, but then he got to where he would throw them into the ropes, scoop them up and then just turn his body around and fall to his knees.  It was horrible.  It was basically like he was a 180 hip swivel and falling down. 
The Barbarian back in his days of being managed by Paul Jones had a fantastic one.  He would throw them into the ropes and by the time they came back he was already airborne in a horizontal position.  He would catch them while he was in mid air and snap them over.
Stand Power Slam version - Buzz Sawyer. 

While I am thinking of it :

Best Torture Rack - Hercules Hernandez.   Worst version - Luger.   Hercules actually had them flat across his back while he cranked it down.  Luger was lazy and always picked them up sideways. It was more like a kidney crunch than a back breaker.

Best Super Kick - Shawn Michaels .  Worst Superkick - any one by Sweet Stan Lane

Best Sleeperhold - Purple Haze/Maniac/Mark     Worst - Randy Orton

Best Cutter move - DDP    Worst - Randy Orton.   No contest here, DDP polished and honed that move to really come out of nowhere and at any time.  Orton pales in contrast to him. 

Best Figure four - Ric Flair   Worst - Dusty Rhodes

Best neckbreaker - Rick Rude     Worst Honky Tonk Man

Honky Tonk and Ravishing Rick have two different neck breakers. The "Shake, Rattle, and Roll" is a spinning neck breaker (with the "Shake" and "Rattle" for exaggeration, based on Honky's gimmick). The "Rude Awakening" is a standard standing neck breaker.

I wouldn't be so hard on Orton. I've seen him hit some NASTY RKOs, most notably on the Undertaker at WM21. When 'Taker went for the chokeslam, Orton drilled the Deadman on the way down. It was sweet.

The one he did on Lesnar on Raw was nice, too.

Ron Simmons' spine busters are nasty, indeed. But I just think he put some extra stank on it as Faarooq Asad. The jobbers had to pay the price for Simmons having to wear that helmet. Austin said that Simmons was the only guy who could wear that, without anyone laughing at him.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2018, 07:42:59 PM »
In all fairness, Simmons and Arn had two different spine busters.  I do like Simmons as his was more attitude than technique.  Arn was the opposite.

DDP still rules the cutter move.

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2018, 07:24:02 PM »
other than HBK, Haku had a great thrust kick finisher
Flower Boy Ran Away

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2018, 08:02:57 PM »
Shooting Star Press - BEST: Billy Kidman; Worst - Brock Lesnar

Honorable Mention - Marc Mero. The biggest highlight of his career was hitting his version (the "Wild Thing) on Faarooq to win the finals of the IC tournament in 1996.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2018, 06:24:50 AM »
Shooting Star Press - BEST: Billy Kidman; Worst - Brock Lesnar

Honorable Mention - Marc Mero. The biggest highlight of his career was hitting his version (the "Wild Thing) on Faarooq to win the finals of the IC tournament in 1996.
Brock is lucky he didn't kill himself when he attempted it on Angle...Jesus that was dangerous.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2018, 05:06:50 PM »
other than HBK, Haku had a great thrust kick finisher

HBK's was THE WORST version.

Pro-wrestling has always been about entertainment while suspending disbelief.
Most of the better workers were also among the most realistic.
Yes, there are plenty of exceptions, but for the most part, some element of realism is desirable.

Onto Shawn...
That "striking up the band" bullshit was beyond idiotic. The rhythmic foot-stomping was the biggest telegraph in "wrasslin" history.
Even if his opponent was blind AND deaf, he'd still know it was coming and would know to move out of the way.

It's analogous to yelling, "DUCK!!" before hitting your finisher.
Beyond stupid.

Lots of people argue that Bret was overrated/glorified, but I would slap that label on Shawn WAY BEFORE even thinking of giving it to Bret.

TheGrinch

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2018, 06:37:36 PM »
Any jump from the top turnbuckle = SNUKA

worst... everyone else

tart=803

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2018, 07:46:32 PM »
i agree the foot stomp lead up to Sweet Chin Music was pretty lame.

however, the actual execution of the move was great.

esp. the one on Janetty after which he dove through the barber shop window to escape...
Flower Boy Ran Away

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2018, 09:23:13 AM »
[ Invalid YouTube link ]
Brock is lucky he didn't kill himself when he attempted it on Angle...Jesus that was dangerous.

But for those huge traps and hick neck, Lesnar would be in a wheelchair right about now.

Plus, given the Sable connection, I figured I'd mention Marc Mero's "Wild Thing" version of the SS Press.

"Wild Thing" at 4:45

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2018, 05:17:11 AM »

HBK's was THE WORST version.

Pro-wrestling has always been about entertainment while suspending disbelief.
Most of the better workers were also among the most realistic.
Yes, there are plenty of exceptions, but for the most part, some element of realism is desirable.

Onto Shawn...
That "striking up the band" bullshit was beyond idiotic. The rhythmic foot-stomping was the biggest telegraph in "wrasslin" history.
Even if his opponent was blind AND deaf, he'd still know it was coming and would know to move out of the way.

It's analogous to yelling, "DUCK!!" before hitting your finisher.
Beyond stupid.

Lots of people argue that Bret was overrated/glorified, but I would slap that label on Shawn WAY BEFORE even thinking of giving it to Bret.
Post of the year right here and spot on!!!!!!!!

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2018, 03:12:28 PM »
Post of the year right here and spot on!!!!!!!!

Thanks...

I do nothing, but I try hard.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2018, 04:56:45 AM »

Thanks...

I do nothing, but I try hard.
Lol....that we do my friend...that we do...

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2018, 03:52:57 PM »
Lol....that we do my friend...that we do...

8)

Chadwick The Beta

• Getbig V
  • "Stop calling me by my name."
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2018, 12:22:28 PM »
Best DDT = Jake Roberts - Worst = everyone else

Best Spear = Goldberg - Worst = everyone else

Best figure four = Ric Flair - Worst = everyone else

Moral of the story, come up with your own finishing moves WWE stars :):):)  ;)

Reserve judgment on worst figure four until you see Kevin Sullivan's (about 2:30) ... posting from my phone and I can't get the embedding tool to work

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi8LpOfxrtk
K

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2018, 01:09:44 AM »
Worst cross face: John Cena. You can tell there is zero pressure, looks absolutely fake.

Best cross face: Chris Benoit.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2018, 05:11:24 AM »
Worst cross face: John Cena. You can tell there is zero pressure, looks absolutely fake.

Best cross face: Chris Benoit.

Everything Benoit did looked great.

A lot of the public believes he learned his trade from the Hart's in Calgary, but that was only a very small part of his wrestling education. Chris studied and emulated Dynamite Kid and spent considerable time in Japan. THAT is where he learned and perfected the majority of his style.

Benoit kept everything "tight." (No jokes, please.) His stuff looked solid, and realistic.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2018, 05:29:19 AM »
I'm gonna give the best "scorpion hold" to Bret.

Sting performed more of a standing variation, while Bret kind of sat down and leaned back, giving the "illusion" of using leverage to intensify the hold.
I also preferred Bret's application - it almost made you forget that, essentially, the only way you can apply that hold is if your opponent LETS you.

I've always been a fan of those standing figure-four/boston crab hybrids.
Honorable mention must go to Dean Malenko, who looked as though he could hit that Texas Cloverleaf at any time from any angle.

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2018, 09:01:36 PM »

Everything Benoit did looked great.

A lot of the public believes he learned his trade from the Hart's in Calgary, but that was only a very small part of his wrestling education. Chris studied and emulated Dynamite Kid and spent considerable time in Japan. THAT is where he learned and perfected the majority of his style.

Benoit kept everything "tight." (No jokes, please.) His stuff looked solid, and realistic.

Chris Benoit was certainly one of a kind.

In this video Raven and Stone Cold describe his style perfectly. I recommend listening to the whole thing but especially starting at the 4:00 minute mark.