Author Topic: Blue states rally to upend Electoral College, with addition of Connecticut  (Read 4273 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
If you cannot win, manipulate the rules.  Liberals are dangerous.  I think this is unconstitutional. 

Blue states rally to upend Electoral College, with addition of Connecticut
Alex Pappas By Alex Pappas   | Fox News

Democratic Gov. Dannel Malloy is expected to sign the legislation into law, following the state Senate approving legislation opting Connecticut into the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact on May 5. The state House passed the legislation last month.

“The National Popular Vote Compact will ensure an equal vote for every American citizen, regardless of which state they happen to live in,” Malloy said in a statement.

Other jurisdictions that have joined the pact include California, Hawaii, Illinois, Massachusetts, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, Vermont, Washington and the District of Columbia — all places where Clinton defeated Trump in 2016. Connecticut would be the first state to sign on since 2014, when New York joined.

“The vote of every American citizen should count equally, yet under the current system, voters from sparsely populated states are awarded significantly more power than those from states like Connecticut,” Malloy said. “This is fundamentally unfair.”

But critics say the pact would actually hurt smaller states like Connecticut, given that candidates would be likely to only focus on large population centers and neglect rural areas.

And from a constitutional perspective, the proposal could also run into obvious legal challenges.

“Not only did the framers of the Constitution expressly reject the idea of a direct, popular election for president, but also not one state either in the wake of ratification or at any time thereafter has ever sought to appoint its presidential electors on the basis of votes cast outside the state, as the National Popular Vote Compact requires,” law professor Norman R. Williams argued in the BYU Law Review.

Trump has not publicly supported The National Popular Vote Compact. But he has said he would prefer picking a president based on the popular vote.

“I would rather have a popular election, but it's a totally different campaign," Trump said during an interview last month "Fox & Friends."

The plan has been pushed for last several years, and proponents are working to get other states to pass legislation joining the pact. According to the National Popular Vote website, the proposal has passed in at least one house in 11 other states, including Arkansas, Arizona, Colorado, Delaware, Maine, Michigan, North Carolina, New Mexico, Nevada, Oklahoma and Oregon.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/05/10/blue-states-rally-to-upend-electoral-college-with-addition-connecticut.html

Moontrane

• Getbig V
  • a Harris administration, together with Joe Biden
The Democrats have inched to 172 EC votes but need 270 to make it work.  Only Democrats have won the popular vote or a majority while losing in the EC.  Such a scheme would have recently given us Presidents Gore and HR Clinton – they know exactly what they’re doing. 

If it were in play and a Republican won the popular vote, but an EC vote would elect a Democrat, you’d see CA’s governor sign an executive order opting out of the Compact on election night or the morning after.  Heads I win, tails you lose.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
The Democrats have inched to 172 EC votes but need 270 to make it work.  Only Democrats have won the popular vote or a majority while losing in the EC.  Such a scheme would have recently given us Presidents Gore and HR Clinton – they know exactly what they’re doing. 

If it were in play and a Republican won the popular vote, but an EC vote would elect a Democrat, you’d see CA’s governor sign an executive order opting out of the Compact on election night or the morning after.  Heads I win, tails you lose.

Yep.  Pretty much.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Liberalism is a mental disorder

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Demoncrats are some of the most manipulative, conniving, undermining, backstabbing "people".
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
Demoncrats are some of the most manipulative, conniving, undermining, backstabbing "people".

but of course they are dear

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
I've always held since I was 18, that one vote should count the same as any other vote. Living in texas, it was never a feeling of Democracy knowing my vote didnt count.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
I've always held since I was 18, that one vote should count the same as any other vote. Living in texas, it was never a feeling of Democracy knowing my vote didnt count.

That’s so noble of you.   Go amend the constitution if you feel so strongly about it

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
That’s so noble of you.   Go amend the constitution if you feel so strongly about it

I plan on it

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
I plan on it

You liberals are so fng dumb.   A state like CT 6 ECV means a hell of a lot more than the small amount of votes they give to the total tally.   So stupid and incompetent, but to be expected from TDS afflicted libs.   

Dos Equis

• Getbig V

And that's why the Founders set up the electoral college:  to deal with people like you. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Startling. 

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
How about just fix this once and for all and only allow taxpayers to vote as was intended? The republic WILL end - it's really a forgone conclusion when you allow those who are on the govt dole to vote for more.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
Re-counts would go on forever if a Republican won just like in the mid-terms. They're still recounting. But like Trump said, if it ever came down to it and the EC was overturned his campaign would run much different and he'd still win.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
How about just fix this once and for all and only allow taxpayers to vote as was intended? The republic WILL end - it's really a forgone conclusion when you allow those who are on the govt dole to vote for more.
This. 8)

Hypo

• Getbig III
Startling. 

This is the exact point of federalism. Smaller states will see that their population's interests are railroaded for pork-barrelling to where more votes will come from.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
This is the exact point of federalism. Smaller states will see that their population's interests are railroaded for pork-barrelling to where more votes will come from.
Liberals have a tough time understanding this simple concept.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
Liberals have a tough time understanding this simple concept.

You are correct. I don't get that where I live geographically means my vote doesn't count as much as Bill who lives in another state. Shouldn't matter where you live in America as long as you are an American

myt1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!

Not only that, but can you imagine how fucked up our country would be if our laws and leaders were decided by the morality of LA???  Holy shit it would be filth!

If this ever happened, states would leave the union.  We do not need NY of Cali.  The financial sector can be moved easily, and there is plenty of farmland in red states or blue one's that aren't bat completely shit crazy.  Honestly it might be the best thing that ever happened to our country if it occurred.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
Someone should start up a conversation regarding the pros and cons of gerrymandering in recent years.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
Someone should start up a conversation regarding the pros and cons of gerrymandering in recent years.

Good point. Or even that the Electoral College isn't evenly distributed at this point. The largest states are underrepresented.. but that is a pretty deep subject...this is getbig..

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
Startling. 

Wow Yes that is a Startling Fact !!

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
One man one vote - Majority wins in Principle is Right & Correct.
Only in Practice often times to many other factors can & do affect how people vote.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
Wow Yes that is a Startling Fact !!

are you aware that with the electoral college, the largest states are actually underrepresented?

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
are you aware that with the electoral college, the largest states are actually underrepresented?

Is that largest population wise ? And No I didn’t know.

Though read my previous post.