Author Topic: Is it just me or is open bodybuilding dying before our eyes?  (Read 6593 times)

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
Nick from Nick's Strength and Power made a good point that I've been saying for a while.  Bodybuilding as in the categories of this pageant is bigger and more popular than ever.  The problem is the fans have rebelled against what has been presented to us and alot of good prospects for the open class are going to Classic Physique.  NPC shows are filled with Classic Physique and Physique Competitors and the open looks pathetic.  There will be a point when the NPC Classic Overall Winner will look better than the open and they should worry when this trends. 

"They" always say people wanna see the freaks and to a degree that's true but we're talking about from 95-99 when most didn't have guts and wide waistlines. According to Luimarco (and I believe him) most of these guys are broke even some top 6 guys, parley that into the boatload of drugs they have to do, the massive amounts of food they have to force down,and then many end up ruining their physiques and health, I mean WTF?   

Classic Physique is the future. It's what the athletes want and what the fans want.

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
Re: Is it just me or is open bodybuilding dying before our eyes?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 05:55:31 PM »
50 views and no comments? Well fuck you too!

;D

The Keto Kid

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 06:02:07 PM »
If you are an amateur,  the fastest route to go pro is the do bodybuilding,  once you get there then you can compete in any division you want. No point in trying to go pro in physique or classic, the classes are flooded with competitors.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 06:23:51 PM »
Nick from Nick's Strength and Power made a good point that I've been saying for a while.  Bodybuilding as in the categories of this pageant is bigger and more popular than ever.  The problem is the fans have rebelled against what has been presented to us and alot of good prospects for the open class are going to Classic Physique.  NPC shows are filled with Classic Physique and Physique Competitors and the open looks pathetic.  There will be a point when the NPC Classic Overall Winner will look better than the open and they should worry when this trends. 

"They" always say people wanna see the freaks and to a degree that's true but we're talking about from 95-99 when most didn't have guts and wide waistlines. According to Luimarco (and I believe him) most of these guys are broke even some top 6 guys, parley that into the boatload of drugs they have to do, the massive amounts of food they have to force down,and then many end up ruining their physiques and health, I mean WTF?   

Classic Physique is the future. It's what the athletes want and what the fans want.

Every glance in the mirror is death before your eyes.  You will have to get used to it.

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 06:26:21 PM »
Every glance in the mirror is death before your eyes.  You will have to get used to it.

Glad to see your 3 month hiatus has ended.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 06:27:40 PM »
Glad to see your 3 month hiatus has ended.

Other forms of social media really can take away from the Getbig experience.  Honestly, this place is still the best. 

beakdoctor

• Getbig V
  • Royalty is a schmoe-cel.
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 06:28:38 PM »

;D
[/quote

You're right it sad. Last weekend there were like 3 ifbb pro contests and I don't think any of them had a men's bodybuilding open event. it was all physique, fitness, bikini, classic etc.... I mean female bodybuilding used to be very popular in the 80s and early 90's and its all but dead. replaced by all this other shit. Men's is going away too. IDK when but who cares. heath will win the O 12 times so what he looks like shit and he's a retard. the guys dont want to get the level of conditioning the 90s guy's had because they don't want to die for a plastic trophy....but they'll shoot all kinds of oil and shit in their bodies and die anyway.

In 2017 Mark Dugdale won something called the arctic pro. Who even knew he was still competing? who cares...its sad.

best hope is that classic bodybuilding physique or whatever its called evolves and eventually they will resemble 70s and 80s pros.

]

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 06:41:44 PM »

This is the meat of it. The freaks of years ago had more polish physique wise, charisma, etc.... And if you think about the numbers, even the freaks of the 70's - mid 90's were probably closer weight wise to the classic physique numbers. Too many guys chasing #300 that have no need to be there. And now it's even worse with social media because you see them die, get sick, and look.... unfortunate for 3/4's of the year in real time.  

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if you see a creeping of the classic physique weight class number as years go past. Maybe we'll wind up with a thinly disguised "classic freak" class in the future. These things go in cycles, sometimes with a reset, then a resumed push. We're seeing it in Powerlifting now. Raw had a good decade plus, now slowly more folks are asking about gear.

mphgrove

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2018, 07:10:08 PM »
Nick from Nick's Strength and Power made a good point that I've been saying for a while.  Bodybuilding as in the categories of this pageant is bigger and more popular than ever.  The problem is the fans have rebelled against what has been presented to us and alot of good prospects for the open class are going to Classic Physique.  NPC shows are filled with Classic Physique and Physique Competitors and the open looks pathetic.  There will be a point when the NPC Classic Overall Winner will look better than the open and they should worry when this trends.  

Yes, in a way. I just attended the local show in my state and the better looking more genetically gifted guys are going into Classic and the number of Classic competitors is starting to outnumber the novice and open bodybuilders. This is healthy because, after all, there are weight limits in Classic (although they recently raised them). But here’s the thing and those of us on this Board are part of this. Do we give a shit about the Classic guys yet? Are they in the magazines? Do they have an Internet following? I don’t personally follow them, but I’m not a good test case (don’t play around with social media, go to expos, etc.)

NelsonMuntz

• Getbig V
  • Getbigs Most Positive Member March&October 2017
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2018, 07:35:40 PM »
Wiggs

You should enter a classic physique contest, it would be good for your PT Business empire
"

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2018, 07:44:31 PM »

;D

No one wants to talk to a flat earther.  ;)
A

6 Reps

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2018, 08:06:38 PM »

Nick’s video:

On a personal note, I really like this young guy. He’s smart, serious, and loves and respects bodybuilding.  No homo.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2018, 08:10:49 PM »
WIGGS, Good to see you back on this board.

I believe that CLASSIC is the bodybuilding wave of the future, bur the mass monsters will remain in the picture as long as no more of those competitors pass away as a result of whatever it takes to get to the top.

The big thing here is that all these other divisions that were not contested when Joe Weider was alive is the brain-child of Jim Manion and possibly the fastest and most profitable endeavor since the discovery of chewing gum and possibly even the internet (maybe).

In my lifetime I have never witnessed a swifter growth of any activity related to the lifting of heavy things than this current NPC/IFBB association.

Let me know if you feel otherwise.

Other than that, how the hell are you doing down there?

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2018, 10:30:02 PM »
Bodybuilding died when Ronnie was still mr Olympia

Bench

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2018, 10:45:51 PM »
best hope is that classic bodybuilding physique or whatever its called evolves and eventually they will resemble 70s and 80s pros.

This is what I also hope for. 

IRON CROSS

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2018, 10:53:36 PM »
No one wants to talk to a flat earther.  ;)

I think a flat Earth is dying before our eyes  :'(

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2018, 12:11:17 AM »

I will say this, beyond the big midsection, todays pro’s are very inconsistent with their conditioning. They are either way off or very good. Then next time, they are so-so. We never see the top guys ALL show up at 100%. And it’s a shame because these guys don’t have jobs. Their one job is to get into top condition. Often, they are chasing big numbers on the scale.

And when they’re off... we don’t blame them, we blame their guru.

US MUSL

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2018, 12:23:52 AM »
Although I still somewhat keep up with Men's Pro bodybuilding. The peak years for me were the 1990's. I was fortunate to get to go to several pro shows in that era.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2018, 12:30:52 AM »
Quite simple to explain.

IFBB controls pro bb. They fear bb will go elsewhere if they drug test.

Therefore no testing.

They know bb are weak and can easily be controlled.

Unless and until they do strict testing plus off season testing things can't change.

Those drugs already destroyed women's bodybuilding.

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2018, 03:45:01 AM »
Bodybuilding isn't dying, it's dead.  The body has been cold for many years but nobody cared enough to put it in the ground.

dearth

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2018, 04:36:38 AM »

i agree with the general premise. I have been to 3 different amateur shows (natural and NPC) this year, and the trend is less bodybuilding, more mens physique and classic.

That being said, I always chuckle at this clown Nick's videos.
He has been involved in bodybuilding for 5 years and uses his youtube channel to speak like a veteran of the industry. What a joke.

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2018, 04:55:15 AM »
You'll always have young insecure men looking to become as big as they possibly can.  Most physique competitors are mentally ill, I just don't see them saying "ok now this is big enough" .. some people are just going to look to push the envelope

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2018, 05:43:58 AM »
We've  discussed this before!   Bodybuilding is dying thanks to social media and the brutal truth available on the internet in general...

In 1998 , Bodybuilders were perceived as elite athletes thanks to Weider and Robert Kennedy publications .

Today what you see 24/7 on instagram and youtube is simply pure vanity ,narcissism by a bunch of obnoxious "know it all" cookie cutters that happen to be more popular than the bodybuilders champs of this era .

WoooSHHHHHHHHHHHHHH   RIP

Cableguy

• Getbig IV
  • Cableguy no longer...
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2018, 07:18:49 AM »
To me, it’s very simple. There shouldn’t even need to be a “classic” division. It should just be bodybuilding, period.

All they should do is change the standards and judging criteria. No weight limits necessary. The ability to perform a vacuum should be a REQUIREMENT, and a no synthol policy should be strictly enforced, at least as much as is possible. Simple.

Unfortunately, the schmoe judges likely won’t let that happen.

Joe Pietaro

• Getbig III
  • Publisher, MuscleSport Magazine
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2018, 08:34:09 AM »
By adding all of these shitbird divisions, they have made bodybuilding less important. More 'regular' people entering shows when it used to be just the elite. Coupled with all the bullshit that's involved, some folks have tapped out from the competing altogether. They can make some money being themselves on social media without swallowing any loads.

The latest category added is men's fitness - sissy looking boys jumping around doing cosplay gymnastics. Not sure if it's just overseas but the clips I did see were in Europe, I believe.