Author Topic: BCAA a waste of money ?  (Read 11286 times)

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
Re: BCAA a waste of money ?
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2018, 08:39:15 PM »
Really? I've had family members who were placed in the hospital with cancer and they were feeding them powdered eggs, turkey sandwiches with sides of apple sauce, Ensure "protein drinks" none of them I would consider optimal foods for healing. How many meathead bodybuilders are buying "quality raw" protein powders for sure the dudes in this thread like Pellius aren't, and even if you do get a "quality raw" protein are you drinking it unflavored? If not then again you have to use flavoring systems available to you, most of them artificial sweeteners which are shown to cause, GI distress, gas, stomach distention, and various other issues. And as far as Greek yogurt, cottage cheese or milk, me personally I don't eat any dairy, I can't digest it (lactose intollerence), but at least you know for an absolute fact what is on that label of that gallon of milk is absolutely in it, theres no "protein spiking" and other bullshit which supplement companies add to these powders to make the most profit wise. If I drink a glass of whole milk I know for a fact I'm getting that amount of protein, not to mention I'm not getting any toxic metals in to me as well, which has been documented in a large study done last year in regards to protein powder. So the point is your average gym rat is not getting some "synthetic phamecutical grade" whey protein designed for hospitals they are buying the shit off the shelves.

I've actually seen a lot of guys such as yourself say they do not trust the milk or meats they buy at supermarkets. They are a bit ignorant imo, but they say the milk and meat is full of antibiotics and hormones. Besides, chicken is injected with water to fool the customer. Red meat has been painted to change the color, different cuts have been glued together and so on.
That's why some health freaks buy their milk and meat at local farms, grass fed beef and unpasteurized raw milk.

Now, if whey contains heavy metals then the milk and cheese from the same farm should contain it too. You do know whey is a byproduct of cheesemaking? Whey used to be something thrown away.
Yes, I know whey may come from China but it may also come from the US or New Zealand etc.

Whey has antiinflammatory and antioxidant effects so it can be a great healing food. There are some who have allergies to either lactose or certain protein fractions in whey so that can be a problem.

lilhawk1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2018, 09:02:28 PM »
Supplements are a fucking joke.  All of them.  EAA's and creatine might have a little merit, but only if used intraworkout with insulin to shuttle them in the muscle cells, otherwise don't bother with them either.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2018, 09:51:56 PM »
Supplements are a fucking joke.  All of them.  EAA's and creatine might have a little merit, but only if used intraworkout with insulin to shuttle them in the muscle cells, otherwise don't bother with them either.

You have zero clue of what you’re talking about.....just like your politics

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2018, 12:01:52 AM »

That's like saying you don't need protein unless you use insulin. EAAs are just protein, hard to know if they are any "better" than a regular protein with both EAAs and NEAAs, with or without insulin. Some use hydrolyzed protein peptides with insulin - peptides can actually be faster absorbed than free form aminos. Most of the bodybuilding brand EAAs are mostly BCAAs dusted with the other aminos... might be way inferior, unbalanced (a hunch on my part).

Ropo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2018, 12:30:51 AM »

And ignorance is a bliss, yes I know your kind of guys. Let me repeat, try to understand: What is the timeframe difference between food vs amino drinks, if you study how your body absorb what you throw in it? Well, you don't need to digest the amino drinks, they are absorbed much faster than your gut can process your food, and this is only real reason to use amino drinks. That is only reason why there is supplements to use, you dumb fuck. You get what you need, but faster than you can get it from food. You see, that anabolic window is a fact, so there is timeframe what and when you should do to optimize your development..

And yes, EAA is just a protein, just like an eggwhite etc. Difference is that it is protein in it's purest form, it has only amino acicds of the protein, nothing else. It means that your body will absorb it many times faster than it would take to get same amount of these aminos from food. 

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2018, 04:02:48 AM »
Supplements are a fucking joke.  All of them.  EAA's and creatine might have a little merit, but only if used intraworkout with insulin to shuttle them in the muscle cells, otherwise don't bother with them either.

I was stuck in traffic and wasn't going have time to eat. While sitting there in my car I had a couple of Quest bars. Total protein: 40 grams, sugar: 2grams, fiber: 20 grams, fat: 12 grams, calories: 340.

So where's the joke? Would I have been better off just eating nothing? If I had time to eat I would have gotten fast food like I always do. Qp w/cheese, Jumbo Jack, or Whooper with fries. Maybe go the plate lunch route and go with Chicken Katsu, with rice and mac salad. Would that be better?

It's just food, brah. Supplements when you can't have a meal. I never get why people get so worked up over nutritional supplements. There's not a single person I've ever met who are vehemently against all nutritional supplements that ever looked good or in shape. With men, they always have the belt of flab on their gut and for women, they have that bell ass and cottage cheese triceps. Of course, there are some that never use nutritional supps and look great but they aren't involved in the cult and it's a non-issue with them -- and they are young.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2018, 04:38:22 AM »
P.T. Barnum, TV evangelists, and Joe Weider count(ed) on this.

Go 4 It

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • "The World Meets Nobody Half Way"
« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2018, 05:53:39 AM »
I've worked with 2 coaches since I started competing, one is an IFBB pro, the other has trained numerous champion bodybuilder and physique competitors. Neither one of them recommended a protein or bcaa supplement. The first coach only supplement used in prep was Aqualyze as a diuretic before the show, in fact when I first hired him he asked me what supplements I was using, I told him a pre workout and Isopure with Vitargo post workout, he immediately took those out first day we started. Second coach only supplements he recommended was Cardarine pre cardio and Magnum (glucose disposal agent) with my carb meals. There was no Bcaa's before fasted cardio or intra workout, no whey hydrosolate post workout, just food.

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2018, 06:25:14 AM »
I've worked with 2 coaches since I started competing, one is an IFBB pro, the other has trained numerous champion bodybuilder and physique competitors. Neither one of them recommended a protein or bcaa supplement. The first coach only supplement used in prep was Aqualyze as a diuretic before the show, in fact when I first hired him he asked me what supplements I was using, I told him a pre workout and Isopure with Vitargo post workout, he immediately took those out first day we started. Second coach only supplements he recommended was Cardarine pre cardio and Magnum (glucose disposal agent) with my carb meals. There was no Bcaa's before fasted cardio or intra workout, no whey hydrosolate post workout, just food.

For how long were you using the preworkout ? and didn't you feel "tired" lazy after stopping them ?

WoooSHHHHHHHHHHHH

Ropo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2018, 08:18:57 AM »

So what? Are you saying that because you didn't need any supplements, no one needs them? But how exactly you know how much you would have benefit from them? Instead of aminos etc. they sell you some snake oil aka "glucose disposal agent" bro science bullshit, and you are happy about that?  ;D

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2018, 08:30:47 AM »
Ever watched a video of how these RTD protein drinks are made?   After watching the process, you have to wonder exactly how much nutritional value is in the "sludge" that it is reduced to in the carton. 

The heating process and other crap has to leave it severely denatured by the time you received it.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2018, 08:58:04 AM »
[/qu :Dote]

Cardarine is a designer drug, not a supplement.

A lot of the top coaches recommend BCAAs, which I think are way inferior to complete whole food protein sources or EAAs. I don't think supplements are needed at all, don't get me wrong, however the research says whey is a good source of protein. I mean human breast milk is mostly whey, of which 40% is a-lactoglobulin  :D And if infants are fed with breast milk substitute, which contain even more protein, they grow still more.

Mislabeled supplements are a huge problem for sure but it's not impossible to source whey which you can be fairly sure matches the specs pretty well.

Go 4 It

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2018, 10:08:42 AM »
Ok answer me this, would you eat a bowl of spinach if you weren't absolutely sure it contained all the vitamins, minerals, and fiber? Would you use Macadamia nut oil if you weren't absolutely sure it was legit?

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2018, 10:13:27 AM »
lame excuse, it is easy to meal prep takes a few hrs at best i have a job , and i do it .

A job is just an example, Most people do have jobs but most people don't have the luxury of eating 5-6 whole food meals at their desk, on a construction site, or whatever job they might have and most people aren't going prep 20-24 meals a week consistently at one time or even twice a week. It's a pain in the ass.

I'm not referring to the competitive bodybuilders. My feeling is, if you're going to compete, you don't go in half-assed which means you HAVE to make the time to meal prep. I'm referring to the general population.

Go 4 It

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2018, 10:35:53 AM »
A job is just an example, Most people do have jobs but most people don't have the luxury of eating 5-6 whole food meals at their desk, on a construction site, or whatever job they might have and most people aren't going prep 20-24 meals a week consistently at one time or even twice a week. It's a pain in the ass.

I'm not referring to the competitive bodybuilders. My feeling is, if you're going to compete, you don't go in half-assed which means you HAVE to make the time to meal prep. I'm referring to the general population.
Lol, dude I was a brick layer throughout my college career, I brought cans of tuna, hard boiled eggs and a loaf of ezikiel bread for my meals, in my car for the ride home I always had bananas and a bag of almonds for the commute back home stuck in traffic, the whole crew would bust my balls like crazy, they would be eating Burger King, Dunkin Doughnuts, tacos from the taco trucks, and I would just sit there and eat my food. Look if protein powder was regulated by the FDA, I would have no problem with it, but I have a problem with thinking I'm getting 25 grams of protein per scoop of something and in all actuality I'm getting 8. This is the reason I stopped using olive oil, the majority of it is bunk, they found that 69% of all store bought olive oil in the US is fake.

Notomorrow

• Getbig IV
« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2018, 11:15:04 AM »
it has some potential as pre-workout on an empty stomach after 12-14 hour fast (sleep included) during the dieting phase as anti-catabolic, otherwise, useless
14 hours of sleep? Then get up...go to gym...End up going 16 hours or so with no food in an attempt to reduce catabolism via leucine?

There might be better anti catabolic strategies...Although Im jealous of those that can sleep 14 hours while dieting.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2018, 11:43:06 AM »
Lol, dude I was a brick layer throughout my college career, I brought cans of tuna, hard boiled eggs and a loaf of ezikiel bread for my meals, in my car for the ride home I always had bananas and a bag of almonds for the commute back home stuck in traffic, the whole crew would bust my balls like crazy, they would be eating Burger King, Dunkin Doughnuts, tacos from the taco trucks, and I would just sit there and eat my food. Look if protein powder was regulated by the FDA, I would have no problem with it, but I have a problem with thinking I'm getting 25 grams of protein per scoop of something and in all actuality I'm getting 8. This is the reason I stopped using olive oil, the majority of it is bunk, they found that 69% of all store bought olive oil in the US is fake.

You're the exception. Before I got into training full time, I was in the commercial roofing industry for 20+ years while still training people for shows on the side. At 18, while in school, I started out as a grunt on tear-off crews, went through all of the stages of apprenticeship, then journeymen, sub-foreman, then foreman and superintendent all for Union shops, then went on to being a contractor, commercial roof consultant, systems designer and inspector for all of the GM and Ford plants throughout the mid-west.

Why do I say this? Because I know how the construction industry works. I brought all of my food as well, but in construction, you're on a time schedule. You eat on your breaks and at lunch. In our case, we had so much time to lay so many squares in a day and most of the time it was one 15 min break and one 30-45min lunch. In other words, you can't get all of your meals in...in comes the supps, No foremen that I know of that's worth a shit will allow a worker to take other meal breaks for the sake of bettering their physique, but if you have a shake or two in your cooler, when you take your quick water break, that there is plenty of time to get those shakes down, this solves the problem of missing meals.

Now, in defense of the guys eating the shit food at lunch. I get it and have no problem with it especially when production output has to be high. Is it recommended, of course not but in my case, once in a while when I was pulling a felt machine for 10,000sqrs with the roof temp at 160-170 degree using 550 degree tar.  the last thing on my mind is if I'm going to make the choice between chicken or fish.

Go 4 It

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2018, 02:11:48 PM »
You're the exception. Before I got into training full time, I was in the commercial roofing industry for 20+ years while still training people for shows on the side. At 18, while in school, I started out as a grunt on tear-off crews, went through all of the stages of apprenticeship, then journeymen, sub-foreman, then foreman and superintendent all for Union shops, then went on to being a contractor, commercial roof consultant, systems designer and inspector for all of the GM and Ford plants throughout the mid-west.

Why do I say this? Because I know how the construction industry works. I brought all of my food as well, but in construction, you're on a time schedule. You eat on your breaks and at lunch. In our case, we had so much time to lay so many squares in a day and most of the time it was one 15 min break and one 30-45min lunch. In other words, you can't get all of your meals in...in comes the supps, No foremen that I know of that's worth a shit will allow a worker to take other meal breaks for the sake of bettering their physique, but if you have a shake or two in your cooler, when you take your quick water break, that there is plenty of time to get those shakes down, this solves the problem of missing meals.

Now, in defense of the guys eating the shit food at lunch. I get it and have no problem with it especially when production output has to be high. Is it recommended, of course not but in my case, once in a while when I was pulling a felt machine for 10,000sqrs with the roof temp at 160-170 degree using 550 degree tar.  the last thing on my mind is if I'm going to make the choice between chicken or fish.
That's cool you did that type of work, never knew this about you. But I agree with the small breaks, we had two 15 min breaks (smoke) and 1 half hour break (lunch), you have to learn how to wolf down food and be able to function quickly after with food in your stomach. It's doable, but I agree it takes some serious dedication  to do it. Working construction was a great experience lots of funny ball busting going on, funny side note: never drank coffee or smoked a cigarette until I started working construction, it's just something that comes with the gig.

IRON CROSS

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2018, 02:50:28 PM »
So what? Are you saying that because you didn't need any supplements, no one needs them? But how exactly you know how much you would have benefit from them? Instead of aminos etc. they sell you some snake oil aka "glucose disposal agent" bro science bullshit, and you are happy about that?  ;D

Cool of Mantula, how is life in Finlandistan  8)

IRON CROSS

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: August 20, 2018, 02:54:45 PM »
Ok answer me this, would you eat a bowl of spinach if you weren't absolutely sure it contained all the vitamins, minerals, and fiber? Would you use Macadamia nut oil if you weren't absolutely sure it was legit?

:D ;D

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: August 20, 2018, 03:00:31 PM »

Do you really think it's that bad? That large, well funded American corporations are just consistently turning out crap? Who is buying all that whey and what are they doing with it? All dietary/nutritional supplements are indeed regulated by the FDA. I use to work in the nutritional industry and they were getting dinged several times a year misrepresenting their products. Same thing with the food industry. It's just not accurate to say the 69% of the olive oil in the US is fake. What kind of country do you think we live in? I know someone who is pretty high up in the Safeway chain and they were part of that lawsuit. The issue was alleged claims that the oil came from Italy when they, in fact, came from different countries throughout the world. Safeway stood fast that their products were not mislabelled but settled anyway. Still, olive oil not coming from Italy is a far cry from being fake.

Yes, it's an ongoing battle with the FDA and the food industry. But it shows that the system works. It cracks me up that so many bodybuilders are such food snobs demanding pristine purity and organic (whatever that means) products measure to the last milligram and then send their money to a hobbyist they know nothing about, have no accountability and with no medical background brewing anabolics in their home while getting raw powders from China who are notorious for poor quality control and cutting corners and this is in the legal market where there are real consequences and not the black market where there are practically zero consequense from selling false, impure and even dangerous drugs and hormones.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: August 20, 2018, 03:05:02 PM »

Wow Coach! I have even more respect for you. I was always under the impression you just kind of fell into the fitness industry because you were involved in it and it slowly took off. Growing into it as the industry started growing I also did my time in construction and it was back breaking labor

oldschoolfan

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: August 20, 2018, 03:55:32 PM »

Point well taken a lot of people take the protein shakes to far

Go 4 It

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: August 20, 2018, 04:10:29 PM »
Do you really think it's that bad? That large, well funded American corporations are just consistently turning out crap? Who is buying all that whey and what are they doing with it? All dietary/nutritional supplements are indeed regulated by the FDA. I use to work in the nutritional industry and they were getting dinged several times a year misrepresenting their products. Same thing with the food industry. It's just not accurate to say the 69% of the olive oil in the US is fake. What kind of country do you think we live in? I know someone who is pretty high up in the Safeway chain and they were part of that lawsuit. The issue was alleged claims that the oil came from Italy when they, in fact, came from different countries throughout the world. Safeway stood fast that their products were not mislabelled but settled anyway. Still, olive oil not coming from Italy is a far cry from being fake.

Yes, it's an ongoing battle with the FDA and the food industry. But it shows that the system works. It cracks me up that so many bodybuilders are such food snobs demanding pristine purity and organic (whatever that means) products measure to the last milligram and then send their money to a hobbyist they know nothing about, have no accountability and with no medical background brewing anabolics in their home while getting raw powders from China who are notorious for poor quality control and cutting corners and this is in the legal market where there are real consequences and not the black market where there are practically zero consequense from selling false, impure and even dangerous drugs and hormones.
Tell me how comfortable you feel drinking this stuff, this is just some tid bits from one case study, done by independent lab testing.

-selling products where the protein content falls far below what’s on the label, according to a spate of lawsuits that have cropped up over the past eight months. “Arnold Schwarzenegger Series Iron Mass,” for instance, contains half the protein stated on its label, according to third party testing in one lawsuit; Schwarzenegger is not named as a defendant in the complaint. MusclePharm, which was sued in a California federal court in late January by Ram, Olson, Cereghino and Kopczynski, is only the most recent company under attack for allegedly misleading their customers about just how much protein their products contain.

an array of supplement companies tested by a third-party lab. Results showed some products’ labels significantly overstated the protein content, slipping in amino acids and other substances and claiming them as protein on their labels. But third-party tests, attached to some of the lawsuits, show some companies also fill the tubs with far cheaper free form amino acids like glycine, taurine or leucine as well as other substances like creatine monohydrate, and then portray them as grams of protein on the products’ labels. Certain amino acids are considered the building blocks to protein but they are not protein by themselves, nor do they have the same benefits as complete proteins.

These filler substances can cost less than $1 per pound, allowing companies to undercut competition with lower prices and dupe price-sensitive customers in the process.
For instance, test results showed “Giant Delicious Protein Blend” made by privately held Giant Sports contains only 12 grams of the 27 grams of “High Quality Protein” it advertises, only 44% of the stated amount. Instead, the powdered blend is loaded with leucine, isoleucine, valine, glycine, betaine, taurine and creatine monohydrate.
Similarly, a lab test of MusclePharm’s “Arnold Scharzenegger Series Iron Mass” revealed that just 19 of the promised 40 grams of protein were present, according to exhibits in the lawsuit. Prior to the lab test results, MusclePharm denied over Twitter that it spiked its products.

The lab testing in a lawsuit against publicly traded convenience store and pharmacy chain CVS Health, which generates $140 billion in annual sales, shows that its “Whey Protein Powder” contains 21.8 grams of protein, 16% less than the 26 grams claimed

NBTY was among the first companies sued -- back in July 2014 -- for allegedly underdosing its “Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein,” which, according to the lab tests contained only 21.5 of the 30 grams promised.

Connecticut-based Inner Armour has the most products under scrutiny. Tests of five of its products – “Mass Peak,” “NitroPeak,” “Casein Peak,” “Whey Protein,” and “Super Quad Protein” – came up well short on protein compared with its label claims. For instance, it’s “Mass Peak” product only contained 19 of the 50 grams claimed, and its “Whey Protein” only contained 9 of 24 grams claimed, the tests showed.

This is just one case study amongst many. So sorry I don't feel comfortable ingesting products I have no clue whats in them, not to mention spiking with creatine, perfect scenario for a competitor trying to lean out yet the creatine is making them hold water, or just the everyday guy that wants to get chicks, but can't seem to lose the moon face, never would think it's my creatine spiked protein powder.

Go 4 It

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: August 20, 2018, 04:37:24 PM »
Olive Oil:

A recent study has confirmed over 70% of olive oil sold in the USA markets is fake, cut with other oils like peanut, canola and sunflower. The same brands are sold all over the world, including UK, France, Italy and Spain.
A similar scandal was brought into attention in Italy in 2008, when several police officers were involved in the breakdown known as operation Golden Oil.  It was disclosed that 85 oil farms were mixing chlorophyll, chemical colourants and flavours with sunflower and canola to the olive oil, in order to have a cheaper product. Of course the results were awful and the healthy properties of the olive oil were lost.
California University has recently undertaken a study on 124 olive oils and found that over 70% of samples failed the tests.

Failed:
Mezzetta
Carapelli
Pompeian
Primadonna
Mazola
Sasso
Colavita
Star
Antica Badia
Whole Foods
Safeway
Felippo Berio
Coricelli
Bertolli

It’s not possible to tell how pure the oil is just by looking at it. However you can do your own simple test at home: store the bottle in the fridge and, if after 30min it gets solid, it means it is pure and has monounsaturated fats. If it stays liquid, then it’s cut with other cheaper oils.
As there are other ways of cutting the oil (for example mixing new oil with old oil from the previous years) this test would not guarantee the product we are using is a good quality oil.