Author Topic: Bigger Movie - New Poster - Did Anyone See It?  (Read 18744 times)

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Bigger Movie - New Poster - Did Anyone See It?
« on: August 28, 2018, 03:09:28 PM »

Here is the new poster of the Bigger Movie

Fortress

• Getbig V
Re: Bigger Movie - New Poster out
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 03:37:48 PM »
That tagline is horrendous.

“He” ... but then, “they”? Who’s they?

This’ll absolutely blow.

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 03:50:46 PM »
Behind the scenes look.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 07:02:29 PM »

This’ll absolutely blow.

I don't think there was any expectation that this would be anything other than garbage.

And that poster is like a masterclass in poor design choices. "Mr Olympia" is in a bigger font type than than the title of the movie. The actress playing Betty Weider has less of her body shown than every other person on that poster.

Kwon3

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 07:17:34 PM »
A biopic about a man who spent his entire career making millions on the backs of men who were paid crumbs and several of whom Joe didn't visit or care for when they lay dying in the hospital, like his former star athlete Mike Matarazzo. Joe and Ben were like two mob bosses who ran a crime syndicate based on a scam which promoted the illusion that using their useless, chemical products could promote the physiques of the superstars peddled in the magazines and ads found in various newsstands and gyms across the world. They offered their athletes no health insurance, favored some over others at the Olympia stage based on their loyalty and cooperation with the brothers, and disgraced a sport that was once focused on achieving the pinnacle of balance, symmetry, and conditioning in favor of health-destroying, stomach-busting monstrosities that we see on stage today. In short, they destroyed bodybuilding.  How can you promote this garbage on your site? You're better than this, Ron. I know you work in this industry and you're beloved for your larger-than-life personality and easy-going manner at seminars, expos, contests. Many athletes owe you for the exposure you afforded them with your photos. But the Weider brothers were the black stains on this business. They don't deserve our respect or our money anymore.

Mothballs

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 07:25:05 PM »
Based on Generation Iron 2, I’m excited to see Calum Moger’s incredible acting chops on display once again!

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2018, 07:26:38 PM »
As if Weider ever had a body like that.

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2018, 07:31:50 PM »
Wow - same old story over the years, except that Joe & Ben Weider built an empire of bodybuilding around the globe, and rose up from being kicked and laughed at to building an empire.  Bottom line, like it or not, they are the key history that built bodybuilding into the mainstream at the time, and brought up many, including Arnold and others.  Bottom line, before them, there were no gyms in every hotel, every city, every school - there were dingy places to work out of.  These two, with their way, brought it out, and built an industry.

Yes, the contests, the expos, and much more is truly helped by them.  

You think garbage because that is all that you can think - you don't like the mass monsters, as you think symmetry and balance, while the freaks of the sport, aka Arnold and others brought in a lot.  

You may not like them, but I truly respect what they built, and the empire of magazines, contests and supplements that came via it in all corners.  We can go into debate on those, but that is for another topic, which you can bring back up, and we can discuss again.

As for now, this is the new poster, of a movie which has succeeded to be made, which is great.

Now, on a personal level, I had the time to meet and talk to BOTH Ben and Joe Weider over the years, and they both, each separately, showed me great respect.  In any business you build, of course you have various ways of advertising, but that is no different than any other business and sport today too.

Joe, Ben and Arnold -

In 1997, the Olympia has held in Long Beach with some booth around the venue.  Same with the Arnold back then.

Today, these two events and contests are huge, and I am glad to have been able to see them grow

Kwon3

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2018, 07:43:17 PM »
You didn't see me critisizing their business acumen or ability to self-publicize and their rags-to-riches story? That's because Joe was a savvy businessman who saw that he'd hit a goldmine with this undiscovered hobby some muscle men had and knew there was something more to it than just individual exercise. This could become a business, something that hadn't been discovered or done yet, and the business would mature and grow as they got more followers. It's a classic bait & hook scheme that lasted over 60 years. Nobody can question the Weider brothers' entrepreneurial bona fides.

My issue is with how they used then discarded their athletes based on how useful (profitable) they were at any given time. Once a bodybuilder grew too old, too flat, didn't respond as well to the drugs, didn't place anymore, or just wasn't the newest kid on the block, they'd find another. That's the definition of production line talent acquisition. It's no different than how foreign call centers churn through Indian agents on a weekly basis once they burn out on scamming people in the U.S. on the phone. They gave their athletes NO health coverage or retirement funds and abandoned them when they got sick or old. I can find you plenty of photos of them with the stars of yesterday, none of whom had a single word of praise for him when he was still alive or after he died. Why not? Shouldn't he have been eulogized from the rooftops by the current and former athletes whose careers he supposedly built?

You say gyms and fitness centers within other businesses (like hotels) proliferated thanks to bodybuilding. I'm not sure I would agree. Arnold's generation didn't popularize bodybuilding at all. It was niche until the mid-1980s and has more or less returned to that state of affairs today as the public became wiser to the drugs, the egos, the politics of the sport and realized it was a bad influence on a new generation of young people. That the stars of 20 years ago are sick or dying doesn't help, either. The booming of the fitness industry owes its success to the American obsession with self-improvement, advances in medical understanding of how exercise and diet helps prolong a person's life or improve its quality, as well as the fact that it's just good business to offer exercise facilities to guests and urban populations in general. There's no pictures of Weider in any 24hr Fitness or LA Fitness or Bali's anywhere in the country. Shouldn't they be honoring him for pioneering their business model? I think you're comparing apples to oranges here.

The brothers liked you? Of course they did. You're a likable guy in general and your site is devoted to promoting the industry and its athletes. What's not to like? I'm afraid that doesn't tell us anything we didn't already know. I'm sure Bill Gates has friends, too. Doesn't mean he wasn't sued successfully for predatory business practices that essentially locked out the competition by making his OS the only one anyone could use on personal computers for the longest time.

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2018, 07:51:56 PM »

You are right - if an athlete did not place anymore, grew too old, and could not compete anymore, another one came along.  True.

Same with any other sport - whether surfing, Olympics sports, football, etc - that is what happens.     Many competitors are independent athletes -

Just like the video game industry right now, or the poker world contests - you can play great and make money, via sponsorships, contests, but if don't play well, guess what - you won't do well.

As for various gyms, yes - they do pay homage to the Weider's - albeit hardcore gyms, but in newer gyms, they cater more to the mainstream, as it is a business and their clientele is different.

Like it or not not, the Weider's built bodybuilding into the mainstream thinking, and it has evolved.   Respect.

Kwon3

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2018, 08:02:00 PM »
You are right - if an athlete did not place anymore, grew too old, and could not compete anymore, another one came along.  True.

Same with any other sport - whether surfing, Olympics sports, football, etc - that is what happens.     Many competitors are independent athletes -

Just like the video game industry right now, or the poker world contests - you can play great and make money, via sponsorships, contests, but if don't play well, guess what - you won't do well.

As for various gyms, yes - they do pay homage to the Weider's - albeit hardcore gyms, but in newer gyms, they cater more to the mainstream, as it is a business and their clientele is different.

Like it or not not, the Weider's built bodybuilding into the mainstream thinking, and it has evolved.   Respect.

Do you throw out your best posters when they no longer post as well as they used to? No. You let them come back. You've let everyone come back and given 2nd, 3rd, 4th chances. Did you ever get involved in the endless drama that happens between your members? No. You've stayed above the fray from an Olympian height while looking down at the ants eat each other alive, like a fair and impartial judge should. That's the kind of business I'd like to work for. People are still people even when they're not as useful as they used to be. It's simply a difference of opinion on how current or former personnel of the IFBB should be treated. It's not a judgment of their business skill, which no one disputes. You saw similar comments about Walmart and McDonald's for years until they improved employee pay and offered more full-time work under relentless pressure from the media and current and former employees.

The hardcore gyms like Metroflex probably have photos of Joe. I'm sure others do, too. But those are bodybuilding gyms. They have to give credit to the man who gave them bodybuilding. I was simply suggesting the fitness industry and modern, state-of-the-art gyms probably don't feel their industry owes anything to the Weider brothers, who after all produced athletes that account for a minuscule percentage of the weight lifting population. Gyms were coming out at the end of Arnold's career beyond the Venice scene and would've happened without him, as well.

Other than that, I have nothing to say but this movie looks pretty silly from the cover art alone, since Weider - fit though he undoubtedly was - was no bodybuilder in the sense that we understand it today. His talent was recruiting and coaching real ones and making money off their toil and effort.

That's just my 2c. Keep on posting, we like seeing you active here for non-contest threads.

JustPlaneJane

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2018, 08:09:25 PM »
So the storyline is:

Joe likes men to peel and is a cuck
Ben dates Oscar State
Arnold does Betty dirty while Joe watches

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2018, 08:23:21 PM »
Do you throw out your best posters when they no longer post as well as they used to? No. You let them come back. You've let everyone come back and given 2nd, 3rd, 4th chances. Did you ever get involved in the endless drama that happens between your members? No. You've stayed above the fray from an Olympian height while looking down at the ants eat each other alive, like a fair and impartial judge should. That's the kind of business I'd like to work for. People are still people even when they're not as useful as they used to be. It's simply a difference of opinion on how current or former personnel of the IFBB should be treated. It's not a judgment of their business skill, which no one disputes. You saw similar comments about Walmart and McDonald's for years until they improved employee pay and offered more full-time work under relentless pressure from the media and current and former employees.

The hardcore gyms like Metroflex probably have photos of Joe. I'm sure others do, too. But those are bodybuilding gyms. They have to give credit to the man who gave them bodybuilding. I was simply suggesting the fitness industry and modern, state-of-the-art gyms probably don't feel their industry owes anything to the Weider brothers, who after all produced athletes that account for a minuscule percentage of the weight lifting population. Gyms were coming out at the end of Arnold's career beyond the Venice scene and would've happened without him, as well.

Other than that, I have nothing to say but this movie looks pretty silly from the cover art alone, since Weider - fit though he undoubtedly was - was no bodybuilder in the sense that we understand it today. His talent was recruiting and coaching real ones and making money off their toil and effort.

That's just my 2c. Keep on posting, we like seeing you active here for non-contest threads.

Shit, thankfully he doesn't. I go through ebbs and flows.

"1"

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2018, 08:39:34 PM »

Correct, I usually try to see the good in everyone - whether or not they know it.  But posting is one things, competing in a physique contest or sport is another.

They don't because they don't know about the history - just like high school kids don't even know or care about Elvis, even though he was a game changer in music.

Other than that, I have nothing to say but this movie looks pretty silly from the cover art alone, since Weider - fit though he undoubtedly was - was no bodybuilder in the sense that we understand it today. His talent was recruiting and coaching real ones and making money off their toil and effort. That's just my 2c. Keep on posting, we like seeing you active here for non-contest threads.

Lets keep an open mind until we actually see the movie - then, if it isnt good, criticize away.    Yes, I am trying to post more, but with work so crazy, and various events and family, hard to.

Olympia in 2 1/2 weeks - Vegas bound!

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2018, 08:39:44 PM »
Wow - same old story over the years, except that Joe & Ben Weider built an empire of bodybuilding around the globe, and rose up from being kicked and laughed at to building an empire.  Bottom line, like it or not, they are the key history that built bodybuilding into the mainstream at the time, and brought up many, including Arnold and others.  Bottom line, before them, there were no gyms in every hotel, every city, every school - there were dingy places to work out of.  These two, with their way, brought it out, and built an industry.

Yes, the contests, the expos, and much more is truly helped by them.  

You think garbage because that is all that you can think - you don't like the mass monsters, as you think symmetry and balance, while the freaks of the sport, aka Arnold and others brought in a lot.  

You may not like them, but I truly respect what they built, and the empire of magazines, contests and supplements that came via it in all corners.  We can go into debate on those, but that is for another topic, which you can bring back up, and we can discuss again.

As for now, this is the new poster, of a movie which has succeeded to be made, which is great.

Now, on a personal level, I had the time to meet and talk to BOTH Ben and Joe Weider over the years, and they both, each separately, showed me great respect.  In any business you build, of course you have various ways of advertising, but that is no different than any other business and sport today too.

Joe, Ben and Arnold -

In 1997, the Olympia has held in Long Beach with some booth around the venue.  Same with the Arnold back then.

Today, these two events and contests are huge, and I am glad to have been able to see them grow

I know who they are, dude. Yeesh. I’m making a point.

Joe ripped people off in the printing field to the tune of millions.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2018, 08:42:24 PM »
Shit, thankfully he doesn't. I go through ebbs and flows.

"1"

"Ebs and Flos"...Reads like a liberal white version of those two wonderful conservative black ladies, Diamond and Silk.  I'm going to Hebrew Hades (Sheol, not Chicago!) for that one, huh?   ;D

tres_taco_combo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2018, 08:47:57 PM »
ill have to watch it

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
  • if you got more than 10k you're gay
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2018, 03:33:04 AM »
whats with the wall of texts?

what the hell is kwon3 bitching about? grown men that cant take care of their own health insurance? need a babysitter through their whole adult life? grown men who when they are not on the top, will not be on the covers anymore? no shit einstein.

thats like blaming boxing for not having tomato cans have a career after a dozen losses!

and of course - grown men who are TRICKED to buy protein powder, again, nobody can apparantely make a decision of their own.

at least not in the world kwon lives. is he in venuzuela? there's a stench of communism that goes along with his every post.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • “Always do what you are afraid to do.” - Emerson
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2018, 03:48:48 AM »
Joe Weider had a good physique when young.  He also was a fair weightlifter.

Betty was hot as heck.  Here she is getting some wood.

plebian

• Getbig II
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2018, 03:50:32 AM »
ahahahaha

joe weider isnt responsible for making gyms mainstream, that dubious honor belongs to Arthur Jones, whom weider would continue to copy and follow in a mercenary fashion for decades. Of course we will never get a movie about Jones, despite him being the infinitely more interesting character. What am I going to watch this for? Hollywood movie #40405050 that lionizes an exploitative jew as if he had a brilliant vision instead of blindly stumbling into it?  ::)

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2018, 03:52:40 AM »
A friend who wrote for Schmoe Weider said all he got was free ad space in the Mags, and that was good enough for him, he took advantage of it and made good money off his supplements.
He happened to know how to self promote, was (is still) driven and makes a good living still. (Now in movies). Said Joe was a good guy who never promised more than what he gave, was right out on the table.

Some of the old delusional BB's thought they needed to be paid to be in the Mags. Delusional. Do you think the African women with the swinging jugs got paid to be in National Geographic?
Get a job and promote yourselves ya lazy bums. :)

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2018, 03:54:44 AM »

This’ll absolutely blow.

He, as in Mel Tormé, They, as in Venom Vince and Vissy.
Q

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2018, 03:57:20 AM »
A biopic about a man who spent his entire career making millions on the backs of men who were paid crumbs and several of whom Joe didn't visit or care for when they lay dying in the hospital, like his former star athlete Mike Matarazzo. Joe and Ben were like two mob bosses who ran a crime syndicate based on a scam which promoted the illusion that using their useless, chemical products could promote the physiques of the superstars peddled in the magazines and ads found in various newsstands and gyms across the world. They offered their athletes no health insurance, favored some over others at the Olympia stage based on their loyalty and cooperation with the brothers, and disgraced a sport that was once focused on achieving the pinnacle of balance, symmetry, and conditioning in favor of health-destroying, stomach-busting monstrosities that we see on stage today. In short, they destroyed bodybuilding.  How can you promote this garbage on your site? You're better than this, Ron. I know you work in this industry and you're beloved for your larger-than-life personality and easy-going manner at seminars, expos, contests. Many athletes owe you for the exposure you afforded them with your photos. But the Weider brothers were the black stains on this business. They don't deserve our respect or our money anymore.

Just like Oprah made his career by standing on the heads of little people.
Q

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2018, 04:02:30 AM »
Calum looks like shit. They should have photoshopped his horrible arms.

kevcat

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2018, 04:06:12 AM »
Vince McMahon probably did  more for the 'athletes' in terms of finances. Joe looked after number 1 from what I believe. No harm in that, if people allow it to happen, more fool them.

Actually these days, gyms are packed out mainly because of reality TV shows. That's what I truly believe.
Most young guys want to be out banging chicks like the guys on Jersey Shore/ Geordie Shore. Theyre not interested in becoming the next great NFL player, other than a minority.
They want to look like these guys on the TV shows, all buff and preened to look great. This is what sadly motivates young men now.
It was Arnold who motivated me back 15 years ago, and I remember everyone in gyms wore baggy t shirts and just lifted.
Now its groups of kids in nice clothes doing endless curls looking in the mirror, and young women desperately wanting to get that great ass from lunges.