Author Topic: pre contest preperation  (Read 4107 times)

triattack7

• Getbig II
pre contest preperation
« on: April 14, 2006, 04:43:43 PM »
the one thing that i have not been able to dial in is how i should go about carb depletion and my sodium intake while dieting down for a show.. i hear high and low days but??? if someone could provide a link or an explanation for say 12 weeks prior to a contest diet wise it would help greatly...
I'll be back.

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
  • "Check my soundscan, Check my instagram"
Re: pre contest preperation
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 04:32:34 AM »
i would love to help, but have no idea

blondmusclhunk

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 08:38:30 AM »
The key with carbs is to start gradually if you deplete to fast your body will not compensate for that lack of energy!!  If this is your first contest start out about 3-4 months ahead of time. If you dont give yourself enough time to deplete you will get burned out, or not obtain your goal.

BigIronMike25

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 10:20:04 AM »
First off bro, congrats on deciding to compete.  Im competing for the first time this june and it takes alotta guts to take that leap so props to you.

The last week should go something like this as far as carb depletion / loading and sodium loading / depletion: (assuming your show is on a saturday)

Sunday:  begin carb depletion, some eat absolutely NO Carbs while others deplete on 50-100grams....many factors influence this.  Id reccomend eating about 70-80g carbs on this day....as well as sodium LOAD.....put salt liberally on everything

Monday:  continue carb depletion and sodium loading....Id drop the carbs to 40-50

Tuesday:  last day of carb depletion...id get as close to 0 as possible, continue sodium load

Wednesday:  Begin carb loading to restore glycogen, id eat around 40g carbs every 2 to 2.5 hrs....this first day is crucial....use white rice, white potatos, and rice cakes, even gatorade....you want high glycemic carbs at this point to really kickstart the process and fill you back out as you will be flat as hell
, also start cutting out sodium.

Thursday:  continue carb loading and sodium depletion (boil everything that contains salt)...carb loading should switch to slower burning carbs at this point....sweet potatoes, brown rice, oatmeal etc

Friday- final day of carb loading and sodium depletion

Sat-  KICK ASS, TAKE NAMES, and SAVOR the experience....good luck BRO!!!

triattack7

• Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2006, 01:08:16 PM »
thanks bigironmike...great information..good luck on your show too
I'll be back.

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 06:40:43 AM »
my 0.02

don't cut sodium in the last week, in fact keep it high thru the show. using a diuretic (otc or otherwise) will clear up any water issues associated with this as sodium is a necessary and very important part in glycogen replensihment and retention.

don't hate on the sodium. use it to your advantage.
b

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2006, 07:07:31 AM »
the one thing that i have not been able to dial in is how i should go about carb depletion and my sodium intake while dieting down for a show.. i hear high and low days but??? if someone could provide a link or an explanation for say 12 weeks prior to a contest diet wise it would help greatly...

triattack7,
Carb depleting/loading, sodium loading/depleting, water loading/depleting, none of these will help you at all if you do not get your diet right the 3 to 6 months before the show.  if you do not look great the week before the show, these tricks will not help and will most likely make you look worse. 

For your first show, I recommend you concentrate on your diet during the whole process.  Don't cheat, don't skip workouts, don't take shortcuts.  Aim for looking your very best the week before the show.  Then, don't do anything different.  Just keep doing whatever you've been doing that got you to where you are.  Changing things at this point will only screw things up.

For your second show, I recommend you read Championship Bodybuilding by Chris Aceto.  Try his carb depleting/loading approach about 8 weeks out and see how it works.  Then try it again 1 week out.  These things are tricky and it's hard to get it right the first time.  Everybody is different.

For your next shows from here on, try adding a new approach to carb depleting/loading, such as sodium loading/depleting or water loading/depleting.  Don't try more than one at the same time.  I recommend you go to www.ast-ss.com and read about Skip Lacour and Jeff Willet pre-contest approach.  Skip has great information on sodium and water manipulation.

I am assuming that you are natural.  If you are on any atletic performance drugs, that's a whole different game.  Good luck to you!