Author Topic: $1.2 trillion In Outstanding Auto Loans  (Read 5222 times)

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
Re: $1.2 trillion In Outstanding Auto Loans
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2018, 08:52:20 AM »
People just suck society dry. Ive always been afraid of debt.

House - paid off
4 Honda C-RV's - paid off ( 4 of us live here)
2 college tuition's - paid off w/ no loans
Credit card debt - ZERO
credit ranking - 833 (today)
401 K's - 800K

It just means Im old, always been resposible with money, and gee, no Libtarded w/ myhand out.

Congrats... that is very rare.  You must have/had a well paying career too.

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2018, 08:57:22 AM »
People just suck society dry. Ive always been afraid of debt.

House - paid off
4 Honda C-RV's - paid off ( 4 of us live here)
2 college tuition's - paid off w/ no loans
Credit card debt - ZERO
credit ranking - 833 (today)
401 K's - 800K

It just means Im old, always been resposible with money, and gee, no Libtarded w/ myhand out.

Debt, when properly maintained, is actually a wonderful financial tool. If you are in a low inflation period, interest rates are stable. You can lock in loans at very attractive rates, if you go fixed. When we enter a high inflation period, you are then paying back the loan with money that is worth less than when you borrowed it. That is a good thing.

The most important part of fiscal planning revolves around the time value of money and the inflation rate. Inflation strips your cash of value while you are just sitting there, unless you have an interest rate that corrects for it, plus the tax hit you take on savings. It is insane to keep large sums of money in cash these days unless you are getting well over 5%. Inflation will eat it alive.

When talking about cars, you have to consider that a car is always a wasting asset unless bought as a collectors item. A well built car has a low cost of ownership so that minimizes the loss rate on it. But it often times makes great sense to continuously lease if you can get a good rate. The cost of maintenance is practically zero for a short term (3-4 years) leased car. Not only is that a good thing, but you don't waste your time getting these things fixed. Time better spent doing something more productive.

I sold a company some years ago and wiped out all my debt instantly, including a house payment. That turned out to be the stupidest thing I could have done. Money is like air- you never own it and it is only good when it is moving.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2018, 10:37:44 AM »
True.  Most people I know who buy new cars end up trading it in for a brand new car before it is even paid so they would have been much better off leasing.  With a lease you pay nothing for repairs plus you pay much less per month on the payment.  If you are going to always have a payment anyway then lease.

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2018, 10:43:13 AM »
Can't Believe how much money people waste on cars. This just goes to prove most people are dumb ass sheeps that shouldn't have any business loaning for anything.

I own both my cars. Imo if you can't buy the car you want in full with cash you shouldn't buy it in the first place because it's just a huge liability. Economics 101

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2018, 10:48:10 AM »
I own my truck as well but did not buy it brand new.  Few people have the money to purchase a new car cash.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2018, 10:49:09 AM »
Debt, when properly maintained, is actually a wonderful financial tool. If you are in a low inflation period, interest rates are stable. You can lock in loans at very attractive rates, if you go fixed. When we enter a high inflation period, you are then paying back the loan with money that is worth less than when you borrowed it. That is a good thing.

The most important part of fiscal planning revolves around the time value of money and the inflation rate. Inflation strips your cash of value while you are just sitting there, unless you have an interest rate that corrects for it, plus the tax hit you take on savings. It is insane to keep large sums of money in cash these days unless you are getting well over 5%. Inflation will eat it alive.

Nobody has gotten 5% interest in a cash savings account since the 90's.  I remember around 1980 or so my dad had a few CDs that yielded 15%.  Good old Paul Volker... he actually did the correct thing.  People are being robbed now.  Today long term CDs pay less than 3%.  To get the top rate some banks require a minimum of $5-10K.  I'd rather have liquidity than tie up a large amount of cash in a 1-5 year, low interest paying CD.  Over the long term, gold is a very good hedge against inflation.  I started buying it in the early 2000's.

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2018, 10:58:32 AM »
I own my truck as well but did not buy it brand new.  Few people have the money to purchase a new car cash.
bought mines used aswell ofcourse but I don't understand middle class/avg joe people that want to have 1/3 of their disposable income on their car. Then by the end of the month nothing on their savings account. I guess alot of people don't mind living check to check. Not for me I need to see light in the end of the tunnel and have money to invest.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2018, 11:18:47 AM »
bought mines used aswell ofcourse but I don't understand middle class/avg joe people that want to have 1/3 of their disposable income on their car. Then by the end of the month nothing on their savings account. I guess alot of people don't mind living check to check. Not for me I need to see light in the end of the tunnel and have money to invest.
Years ago I worked at a company where we were all making the same salary and I was driving a beater while almost all of my coworkers had new cars.  If there was ever a downturn in work (fewer hours) they were in a total panic.  Every single dollar they made went for bills with no savings or investments whatsoever.

tres_taco_combo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2018, 05:38:09 PM »
fyi - you can get 144 month financing if you really need it. yes it is out there

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2018, 05:56:39 AM »
fyi - you can get 144 month financing if you really need it. yes it is out there

Ridiculous, but I'm not surprised.  These car dealers and finance companies will do anything to make money.  The people who sign up for these loans are normally low income and stupid.  The only thing they care about is how much their monthly payment is... I'm sure that's how the car dealer pitches it to them too.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2018, 07:48:06 AM »
Years ago I worked at a company where we were all making the same salary and I was driving a beater while almost all of my coworkers had new cars.  If there was ever a downturn in work (fewer hours) they were in a total panic.  Every single dollar they made went for bills with no savings or investments whatsoever.

The majority lives this way.  People tend to spend most/all of what's in their pocket regardless of what their earnings are.  I've saved and invested my whole adult life, even when I was in my teens and barely making it.  I'm now in my early 50's and semi-retired.  I also trade the futures market for additional income.  I've never bought a new car and never will.  Avoiding marriage and not having kids is a must if you don't want to work the rest of your life.  Most people are wage/debt slaves for life... ugh.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2018, 01:48:01 PM »
Ridiculous, but I'm not surprised.  These car dealers and finance companies will do anything to make money.  The people who sign up for these loans are normally low income and stupid.  The only thing they care about is how much their monthly payment is... I'm sure that's how the car dealer pitches it to them too.
I sold cars years ago and we were trained to cover up the total cost of the vehicle on the contract and just had the buyer focus on the monthly payment. ;D

tres_taco_combo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2018, 08:33:04 PM »

144 month terms are financing rare and exotic cars - woodside credit will offer 144 month terms on a ferrari with 20% down.

longest normal loan ive seen is 84 months

deadz

• Getbig V
  • Liberals..Dumbest People on the Planet! MAGA
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2018, 07:14:27 AM »
I lease and love throwing my money away on it and getting a shiny new car every three years. Bunch of poor penny pinchers here.
T

deadz

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2018, 07:18:16 AM »
The majority lives this way.  People tend to spend most/all of what's in their pocket regardless of what their earnings are.  I've saved and invested my whole adult life, even when I was in my teens and barely making it.  I'm now in my early 50's and semi-retired.  I also trade the futures market for additional income.  I've never bought a new car and never will.  Avoiding marriage and not having kids is a must if you don't want to work the rest of your life.  Most people are wage/debt slaves for life... ugh.
No slave here. Younger than you, retired, new cars in the garage and financial future secured. Hope you enjoy your 87 Mazda. 🙂
T

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2018, 09:51:50 AM »
144 month terms are financing rare and exotic cars - woodside credit will offer 144 month terms on a ferrari with 20% down.

longest normal loan ive seen is 84 months

Sorry, did not mean to discriminate against low wage earners.   :-*

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2018, 09:53:27 AM »
No slave here. Younger than you, retired, new cars in the garage and financial future secured. Hope you enjoy your 87 Mazda. 🙂

Inheritance?... Lottery winner?... Government job/pension?  

I have/drive a 2007 Honda Accord - haven't washed it in 5 years.  I have lots of gold though = real wealth.   

deadz

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2018, 10:20:35 AM »
Inheritance?... Lottery winner?... Government job/pension?  

I have/drive a 2007 Honda Accord - haven't washed it in 5 years.  I have lots of gold though = real wealth.   
Smart.
T

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2018, 10:49:50 AM »

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2018, 12:04:52 PM »
I lease and love throwing my money away on it and getting a shiny new car every three years. Bunch of poor penny pinchers here.
Just making more money is always an option opposed to being a penny pincher, true.