Author Topic: So much awesome in just one picture  (Read 15011 times)

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
So much awesome in just one picture
« on: March 15, 2019, 12:10:25 PM »
 :o
Flower Boy Ran Away

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: So much awesome in just one picture
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 02:16:51 PM »
                   three icons of wrestling only hebner still alive.
F

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 02:26:09 PM »
The days when men were men and women were glad of it.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2019, 06:55:20 AM »
 ;D the giant.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2019, 08:29:24 AM »
 ;D     3 of these iconic banners on sale= ebay
F

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2019, 02:09:41 PM »
;D     3 of these iconic banners on sale= ebay

Official, or repro's?

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 05:02:36 AM »
Small tidbit....

Warrior and Savage during their feud would have a friendly competition to see who could drink a pot of coffee quicker....hence why they were always wired up during their interviews.  :D

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2019, 03:50:16 PM »
Small tidbit....

Warrior and Savage during their feud would have a friendly competition to see who could drink a pot of coffee quicker....hence why they were always wired up during their interviews.  :D

Did either of those two ever really "booze?"

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2019, 06:22:28 PM »

not that I have heard.
Flower Boy Ran Away

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2019, 01:55:35 AM »
not that I have heard.

I don't recall any stories, either.

There are many accounts of UW's strictness and dedication to training/nutrition. And, while there's the occasional mention of Savage going out to the bar with the boys after a show, you never hear of him involved in any of the rowdy, destructive behavior that was quite common in the 80's.

However, I can easily see both men engaging in coffee-drinking contests.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2019, 04:46:26 AM »

Warrior never drank. He was into his body / health. Savage had the odd toast but not a partier. Conservative/frugal like his old man.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2019, 10:22:48 AM »

I don't recall any stories, either.

There are many accounts of UW's strictness and dedication to training/nutrition. And, while there's the occasional mention of Savage going out to the bar with the boys after a show, you never hear of him involved in any of the rowdy, destructive behavior that was quite common in the 80's.

However, I can easily see both men engaging in coffee-drinking contests.
I used to read his blog on his website that he had 15 or so years ago.  Guy was kinda whacked and I got the impression he really believed his UW persona.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2019, 04:40:26 PM »
Warrior never drank. He was into his body / health. Savage had the odd toast but not a partier. Conservative/frugal like his old man.

I've formed the opinion that ALL of the Poffo's were "good with their money."

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2019, 05:04:41 AM »

I've formed the opinion that ALL of the Poffo's were "good with their money."
I remember you posting that on a thread years ago  :)

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2019, 03:30:54 PM »
I remember you posting that on a thread years ago  :)

Oh, yes...

And, I still believe it was down to Angelo's influence.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2019, 09:07:27 PM »

Not racists, but it looks like color blind Mexicans on LSD designed those outfits.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2019, 01:42:33 AM »
Not racists, but it looks like color blind Mexicans on LSD designed those outfits.

Neon-nineties, baby...

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2019, 01:53:27 AM »
I used to read his blog on his website that he had 15 or so years ago.  Guy was kinda whacked and I got the impression he really believed his UW persona.

He tried several businesses away from wrestling.
One was "Warrior University," a pro-wrestling school, where I guess you learned how to shake ropes and run laps around the ring.

He later became a conservative keynote speaker while making the odd wrestling convention appearance. I actually liked some of his earlier blogs, but he was kind of "out there" with the later ones.

Eventually, Hellwig legally changed his name to Warrior so that he could use the name anywhere, although that may have just been part of the reason. The other reason(s) may relate as to why he got tattoos of himself ON himself.

He once left WWF because he felt he deserved more money.
He left again when WWF fired him for receiving shipments of hGH, but not before ratting out Davey Boy Smith, who was then also fired.
And, Smith was a friend...

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2019, 02:55:44 AM »

He tried several businesses away from wrestling.
One was "Warrior University," a pro-wrestling school, where I guess you learned how to shake ropes and run laps around the ring.

He later became a conservative keynote speaker while making the odd wrestling convention appearance. I actually liked some of his earlier blogs, but he was kind of "out there" with the later ones.

Eventually, Hellwig legally changed his name to Warrior so that he could use the name anywhere, although that may have just been part of the reason. The other reason(s) may relate as to why he got tattoos of himself ON himself.

He once left WWF because he felt he deserved more money.
He left again when WWF fired him for receiving shipments of hGH, but not before ratting out Davey Boy Smith, who was then also fired.
And, Smith was a friend...
I imagine that wrestling school must have been the worst ever.  Anybody graduate from his school that's an active wrestler today?

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2019, 08:36:21 AM »
I imagine that wrestling school must have been the worst ever.  Anybody graduate from his school that's an active wrestler today?

LOL...
Is that a rhetorical question?

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2019, 10:02:36 AM »

LOL...
Is that a rhetorical question?
Ha, ha, kind of but I figured maybe there's a wrestler today cut from the same cloth as Warrior.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2019, 04:20:11 PM »
Ha, ha, kind of but I figured maybe there's a wrestler today cut from the same cloth as Warrior.

To respectfully answer your original question:

There is not one graduate from "Warrior University" to my knowledge. I know the "school" wasn't around for long, and I'm not even sure if they ever got so far as having a roster of students.
I believe the school was the butt of several jokes on the "Self-Destruction" DVD the Fed released years ago. My buddy bought it for shits & giggles. I should see if he's still got it.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2019, 05:17:00 PM »

To respectfully answer your original question:

There is not one graduate from "Warrior University" to my knowledge. I know the "school" wasn't around for long, and I'm not even sure if they ever got so far as having a roster of students.
I believe the school was the butt of several jokes on the "Self-Destruction" DVD the Fed released years ago. My buddy bought it for shits & giggles. I should see if he's still got it.
What I could never understand about limited wrestlers like UW is why didn't they learn wrestling on the job?  He was a bodybuilder that was chosen with Sting on a bet to become wrestlers so I can understand not immediately having any ability in the ring but why would he not have someone in wrestling work with him?  My friends and I knew more wrestling moves at 8 years old than he did 10 years into his career.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2019, 02:12:41 AM »
What I could never understand about limited wrestlers like UW is why didn't they learn wrestling on the job?  He was a bodybuilder that was chosen with Sting on a bet to become wrestlers so I can understand not immediately having any ability in the ring but why would he not have someone in wrestling work with him?  My friends and I knew more wrestling moves at 8 years old than he did 10 years into his career.

I know exactly what you mean.

Before you can learn, you must be open to the idea, and a common belief is that UW felt he was "too good" to need any kind of change/improvement. That is likely why we never saw any evolution from him in terms of character, ring mechanics or psychology. About the only thing he did change was his ring gear and face paint.

It's a shame because the gimmick and character were SUPER OVER. There just wasn't enough substance to sustain. If there had been, then the old man probably would have been more accommodating in the salary demands during contract negotiations.

Here's a comparison:
By WM9, Hogan's act had run its course to where it became a tired, unwelcome paradigm with fans. He continued that struggle into his early WCW days. Then, he turned heel, headed up a street gang, and got many more unexpectedly successful years in the business.

UW had burned out his act much faster, did NOTHING to evolve the character, had about three matches in WCW (the same force behind Hogan), and was done in mainstream wrestling after that.
They couldn't have pushed him anymore than they did.
He went as far as he could.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2019, 02:49:07 AM »

I know exactly what you mean.

Before you can learn, you must be open to the idea, and a common belief is that UW felt he was "too good" to need any kind of change/improvement. That is likely why we never saw any evolution from him in terms of character, ring mechanics or psychology. About the only thing he did change was his ring gear and face paint.

It's a shame because the gimmick and character were SUPER OVER. There just wasn't enough substance to sustain. If there had been, then the old man probably would have been more accommodating in the salary demands during contract negotiations.

Here's a comparison:
By WM9, Hogan's act had run its course to where it became a tired, unwelcome paradigm with fans. He continued that struggle into his early WCW days. Then, he turned heel, headed up a street gang, and got many more unexpectedly successful years in the business.

UW had burned out his act much faster, did NOTHING to evolve the character, had about three matches in WCW (the same force behind Hogan), and was done in mainstream wrestling after that.
They couldn't have pushed him anymore than they did.
He went as far as he could.
Totally agree and McMahon set everything up for him when he won the title from Hogan to be the next great WWF champ and that fizzled  out bad as well.