Author Topic: The Golden Eagle - Tom Platz - Some Pics and Discussion  (Read 81837 times)

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
Re: The Golden Eagle
« Reply #200 on: July 12, 2020, 12:20:24 PM »
I enjoyed his experimentation with facial hair - apparently he thought it was this that gave the Mentzers their 'edge'

That woman is wishing she was with Tom instead of that weird looking dude with the afro behind her.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
Re: The Golden Eagle - Tom Platz - Some Pics and Discussion
« Reply #201 on: July 12, 2020, 01:33:46 PM »
X2 - His upper body in most comparisons is bigger & thicker than everyone else’s
He was a clear winner in 81.

I have difficulty choosing between Platz and Padilla. Both were robbed by Franco the "Sardine-Strongman" and Arnold. 

Platz does seem intelligent too as did Bob Paris.  Both spoke about steroids on camera and were relatively honest about their personal use but I really don't agree with Platz about the champions would still be the champions without their drugs. Some of those guys were PUNY when off.  I saw some of them. They looked pretty darn regular to me. But back then the stuff was genuine and came from real pharmacies.    I wanted so badly to look like Steve Reeves or Dave Draper.  Not gonna happen, LOL! 

And looking like prime Arnold?  No freakin' way for me!    ;D

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #202 on: July 12, 2020, 01:42:36 PM »
I have difficulty choosing between Platz and Padilla. Both were robbed by Franco the "Sardine-Strongman" and Arnold. 

Platz does seem intelligent too as did Bob Paris.  Both spoke about steroids on camera and were relatively honest about their personal use but I really don't agree with Platz about the champions would still be the champions without their drugs. Some of those guys were PUNY when off.  I saw some of them. They looked pretty darn regular to me. But back then the stuff was genuine and came from real pharmacies.    I wanted so badly to look like Steve Reeves or Dave Draper.  Not gonna happen, LOL! 

You are right about steroids.  That is just an excuse they use when called out about their usage.  "Everybody does it so I have to as well.  We would all still be champs if everyone was natural."  Sure they would. ::)  Most would not even train at all if they didn't have gear.

Taffin

• Getbig V
  • Training out my gay penor...
Re: The Golden Eagle
« Reply #203 on: July 12, 2020, 03:09:05 PM »
That woman is wishing she was with Tom instead of that weird looking dude with the afro behind her.

Absolutely.  And to be clear - while I post sh1t about Mr Platz (and others such as King Kamali, Mike O'Tren, Branch HobGoblin, etc.) it is all in fun and I respect anyone who has managed to make a career of their own without having to answer to a Boss...

/endhonestymode
T

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #204 on: July 12, 2020, 03:53:43 PM »
You are right about steroids.  That is just an excuse they use when called out about their usage.  "Everybody does it so I have to as well.  We would all still be champs if everyone was natural."  Sure they would. ::)  Most would not even train at all if they didn't have gear.

These days it really is all drugs.  What did that kid Dallas have for a testosterone level when they did the autopsy on his genetically gifted corpse...55,000+?  I don't feel sorry for people like that as they are even dumber than me. THere is an effective dosage for al medicnes but since the 90s or so, it's all about being ridiculously large.

pamith

• Getbig V
« Reply #205 on: July 12, 2020, 06:11:55 PM »

Franco won fair and square

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
« Reply #206 on: July 12, 2020, 09:48:42 PM »

Certainly Danny was also judged/ placed wrongly - I’d of had him in 2nd/3rd
Yes his build was very very good & his condition I think he was a little to light in body weight
Even for him. He looked great on his own just gave away to much muscular size.

As for the champs being champs with or without PEDs I’d say that would be a mixed bag
As clearly some have great structure & muscle shape as naturals & don’t gain as much
As others do from using them as they are hyper responsive to them.

Looking at the 1990 Olympia where they were supposed clean - More like reduced dosages
/ time off leading up to the Olympia & little to no diuretic use the physiques were smaller
Less detailed & softer looking. The “NO” Drugs thing soon got Dropped.

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
« Reply #207 on: July 12, 2020, 09:57:13 PM »
These days it really is all drugs.  What did that kid Dallas have for a testosterone level when they did the autopsy on his genetically gifted corpse...55,000+?  I don't feel sorry for people like that as they are even dumber than me. THere is an effective dosage for al medicnes but since the 90s or so, it's all about being ridiculously large.

I’d say this that we are using The Internet is Very largely responsible for the Huge dosages
Along with the more is better principle & to a lesser extent the quality of underground lab
Drugs. You only have to look on the steroid board at the Absurd amounts some are promoting
& advising others to use 🙄 often times their drug schedule looks like an A-Z of a Chemists
Stock Room. How they supposedly afford all that amount & why they would take that amount
To “Look Good” I doubt any are competing at a National/ international level or Pro level as
If they were they’d plaster their pics all over.

Taffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #208 on: July 13, 2020, 11:16:56 AM »
Franco won fair and square

Bro...

T

Taffin

• Getbig V
T

escrima

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #210 on: July 13, 2020, 11:19:49 AM »

pamith

• Getbig V
« Reply #211 on: July 13, 2020, 01:04:45 PM »
Bro...
I'm being dead srs, I've done extensive research on this, you have to watch the footage, not just look at some pictures, Franco looked amazing, his physique was like made of rock or something, very Herculean look, Tom was all legs, that's it, and Padilla had great structure but didn't have the muscle density of Franco. It was apples and oranges but Franco won

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #212 on: July 13, 2020, 01:15:31 PM »
X

pamith

• Getbig V
« Reply #213 on: July 13, 2020, 01:38:02 PM »
Padilla looks best there.
Too little and tiny

pamith

• Getbig V
« Reply #214 on: July 13, 2020, 02:20:20 PM »
Padilla next too Franco was kinda like Shawn Ray next to Dorian, looked great but too little

pamith

• Getbig V
« Reply #215 on: July 13, 2020, 02:22:19 PM »

Titus Pullo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #216 on: July 13, 2020, 02:33:59 PM »

Same here.  Platz was much bigger and freakier overall.  His pecs were thick as hell and his back was killer.  On the other hand, Danny was perhaps the most shredded guy in the show and his proportions were *perfect*.  He didn't have Tom's monster quads, but his legs were diced and he had much better arms IMO.  By the FAIR judging criteria of the time, I would probably go with Padilla, with Tom a very close second, Roy Callendar (sp?) in third and Franco in fourth or fifth.  Probably fourth because, apart from diced legs, Chris Dicksucker had a terrible, terrible upper body.  Franco had a bitch tit and sausage thighs, but his upper body was otherwise pretty fucking thick and impressive -- and he had calves.  Chrissy probably had better calves still, but I reckon Franco still beat him.

Yeah.  Some deflated to an insane degree when off.  In fairness, they also often said they stopped training altogether as well.  In my experience, if a moderate user goes off the drugs and still lifts somewhat intelligently, he can maintain a reasonable facsimile of his former physique, albeit typically fatter and weaker. 

Heavy users going totally off might be different, but I was never a heavy user and I only have second-hand accounts to go by. 

ArnoldPlatz

• Getbig III
  • youtube.com/channel/UCM3b-ovhSj2GjARYWYWwODQ
« Reply #217 on: July 13, 2020, 10:28:30 PM »
1981mo ;D

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #218 on: July 14, 2020, 12:07:59 AM »
Joe Weider messed up the bodybuilding scene. We had the long running Mr Universe contest in London. Joe had to have his version. Well, what title could be bigger? None. He came up with the Mr Olympia nonsense that doesn't have any meaning for non-

bodybuilders. Can anyone imagine what it was like in the late sixties and seventies? Both Arnold and Sergio started winning mid sixties and dominated the seventies. What did Joe do? Well, having a white guy on magazines sold more copies and products. Thus,

they found a way to ban Sergio. When he was reinstated it was 1984 and he was still great but not the best. For most of the seventies Sergio competed in non-IFBB contests. So much for Joe wanting a contest for the top champs. All bullshit.

Anyway, by 1981 it was an open field for the bodybuilders. No Sergio or Arnold. The fact that Franco won in 81 is a real shame but typical of the IFBB. Controversy after controversy. Who picked the judges and how responsible were they? A good question.

So the IFBB remained a business a bit like professional wrestling. You pay your dues and you get rewarded. Things didn't improve until 1983.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #219 on: July 14, 2020, 05:20:31 AM »
I guess it's human nature to want to be the best and dominate your field even if it's not best for the sport.  I see Joe Weider much the same as Vince McMahon.

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #220 on: July 15, 2020, 02:10:13 AM »
I'm being dead srs, I've done extensive research on this, you have to watch the footage, not just look at some pictures, Franco looked amazing, his physique was like made of rock or something, very Herculean look, Tom was all legs, that's it, and Padilla had great structure but didn't have the muscle density of Franco. It was apples and oranges but Franco won

Oh, you did "extensive" research. Well, I guess that settles that. And exactly what was involved in this research? You watched the footage? Were you there in person? And, btw, and I mean no insult, but who are you? What makes you an authority? Tom was "all legs and that's it."? Really?

Here's what Rick Wayne, a real professional bber and someone who analyzed and wrote about bbing shows for a living, that was actually there at the contest said in a great article he wrote about the contest"

"I’d received advance warning from my spies in Santa Monica to watch out for a new Torn Platz, but I’d dismissed that as the usual bodybuilding hyperbole. Imagine my surprise when Tom showed up with not only extraordinary thighs and calves, but also with arms, chest, and shoulders that brought the house down every time he displayed them. In previous competitions his biceps and triceps had been especially weak. Somehow, for this contest Tom Platz had acquired precisely the look Olympia fans live for."

This is the full article and another example, as those from that time era will remember, why Rick Wayne was that best bbing writer ever. Too bad we don't have this kind of writing and commentary today.

https://www.strength-oldschool.com/blogs/news/1981-mr-olympia-the-greatest-booing-contest-of-all-time

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #221 on: July 15, 2020, 09:30:43 AM »

Although Yates was showing lots of injuries in this pic, Ray had no fullness. Ray’s delts and pecs are deflated.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • "Woke is a cult." - Joe Rogan
« Reply #222 on: July 15, 2020, 09:45:02 AM »
Padilla got short-changed in 1981.

escrima

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #223 on: July 15, 2020, 09:46:58 AM »
Although Yates was showing lots of injuries in this pic, Ray had no fullness. Ray’s delts and pecs are deflated.
Dorian dominated him..

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #224 on: July 15, 2020, 10:04:35 AM »
Padilla got short-changed in 1981.
:D