Author Topic: big military presses  (Read 1999 times)

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
  • here comes the hotstepper!
big military presses
« on: April 16, 2006, 08:27:05 PM »
how much do they efffect your benching? i can almost do seated military presses with the same weights as i use for benching  :-\ kinda says alot about my benching..

i was rep'n 275...and frankly it kinda bothered me

input guys? becuase that's not much less than what i bench on a regular basis  ???

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
Re: big military presses
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 08:59:19 PM »
I'm startin to think this this is a gimmick account  >:(
follow the arrows

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 09:16:32 PM »
and what makes you think that? just from me asking questions that have come into my head lately or what? because i never had them til i actually had access to alot more weights than i do at home...after joining a gym i'm finding out this or that in my lifting..

it's a legit question..hell look how long i've been registered here... ???

king

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2006, 10:03:48 PM »
i think hes talkin  bout ur high weight on the military press...

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2006, 10:28:35 PM »
why do you think i'm here asking these questions..for this very same reason  ???

brianX

• Getbig IV
  • Kiwiol has 13" arms!
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 01:27:21 AM »
There is no such thing as a "seated military press". The military press is done while standing with a military (upright) stance. The bar should be lowered to your clavicles at the end of each rep. Anyone with a legit 275 military press should be extremely strong on the regular bench press.
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2006, 05:37:23 AM »
i did it sitting down under the bar..and no it didnt even come close..it was about4 inches off my clavicles...if i do any lower just like on bench i feel a tendon in my left shoulder roll and pop during the entire exercise to i stopped doing it and found 90* to be more comfortable...

then what's doing the same thing but in a sitting position called? i figured it took alot more to do the same movement seated than standing.

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2006, 09:54:15 AM »
I like to give everyone the benefit of the doubt but I may have to agree with Haider on this one. If Tex can rep out close grip BP's with 315 (as stated in his past post) than regular grip BP's should be at least 340+ for easy reps. Doing 275 military presses (seated) is not almost the same weight as doing his benches. If Tex did start the presses from 4" above the clavicles than that would mean he started from a weaker position than if he started from the cavicles themselves. Which would also mean Tex is one super strong presser for his bwt. I hope he his, but some of his post do sound a little extreme.

I'm no gage by any account but pressing from a power rack I use 325-340 for full reps, which is a little more than 100 lbs over my present bwt. I allow a slight knee action at the beginning of the press. Also include PBN's (BNP's to some of you) in a pressing program. I have not included regular BP's for quite a while in normal workouts. When I go back to benching, from time to time, I always see improvement in the lift. I would think that regular and PBN's improve the bench very well.

Military presses, as BrainX suggested, are not seated presses. The original military press was done standing with the heels together, knees locked (no action), back ramrod straght, neck/head held straight and not moving at all. Hence the name Military Press, done in a military manner. Good Luck.

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2006, 10:06:57 AM »
340 lbs for pressing like that?  :o dear god!

but in relation to size vs. pressing i guess that's about right for me then  :-\

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2006, 09:22:08 AM »
stop working out front delts.   it will help your chest gains..plus...yuou cant even really see it from any pose.
d[-_-]b actin all cool

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2006, 09:46:10 AM »
i thought this exercise hit your shoulders well?!  :-\  right now i'm not really caring much about how it looks as long as i get stronger and larger...

who ever heard of a small firefighter?!  :-X