Author Topic: The Devotionals Thread  (Read 235268 times)

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
Re: The Devotionals Thread
« Reply #75 on: August 10, 2006, 12:50:26 PM »
OzmO, I don't understand this statement.  Can you explain in greater detail what this means?

If you believe:

That you are a great creation; that you are engineered for greatness; that you have unlimited potential; that inside you lies the ability to overcome many obstacles; that you have a tremendous ability to help others; that you have the capacity to love with all your heart; that you can accomplish what ever you set your mind to; in that will to survive to hold on when all hope is lost; etc...

Then how can you not believe in GOD? 

That's why i say to believe in one's self is to believe in GOD because you are in a sense, believing in what you cannot always see in your self but what still exists in yourself whether you believe it or not.   God exsists inside of all of us.  We choose to let him in our hearts or to keep him out. 

We do that because we believe in GOD and in turn to believe in God is to believe in yourself.

I believe in GOD.  I Believe in myself because he created me.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #76 on: August 10, 2006, 01:12:04 PM »

If you believe:

That you are a great creation; that you are engineered for greatness; that you have unlimited potential; that inside you lies the ability to overcome many obstacles; that you have a tremendous ability to help others; that you have the capacity to love with all your heart; that you can accomplish what ever you set your mind to; in that will to survive to hold on when all hope is lost; etc...

That's why i say to believe in one's self is to believe in GOD because you are in a sense, believing in what you cannot always see in your self but what still exists in yourself whether you believe it or not.   God exsists inside of all of us.  We choose to let him in our hearts or to keep him out. 

We do that because we believe in GOD and in turn to believe in God is to believe in yourself.

Makes sense to me.

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #77 on: August 10, 2006, 02:04:18 PM »

If you believe:

That sounds good. It really does, but the statement that "to believe in yourself is to believe in God" does not glorify God, but instead it gives the connotation that you and God are one in the same.   Now, had you said, I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength, like Phillipians 4:13 says, then I would be more on board with your statement. But when I compare those two, I see that one glorifies God. The other glorifies yourself and God.  I know it sounds like i'm being nitpicky, but I believe that when we say things like this, it lends itself to making a gray area of who we are with respect to God.  Yes, I am a great creation, but I am God's creation, thus He is great, not me.  And so on for all the things you mention.  I guess the short of what I'm trying to say is that I agree with what you say, so long as you are giving God all the glory for being what you say.  I believe this is what Paul is talking about in 2 Corinthians 12:6-8 when he addressed the people of Corinth. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #78 on: August 10, 2006, 02:22:46 PM »
That sounds good. It really does, but the statement that "to believe in yourself is to believe in God" does not glorify God, but instead it gives the connotation that you and God are one in the same.   Now, had you said, I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength, like Phillipians 4:13 says, then I would be more on board with your statement. But when I compare those two, I see that one glorifies God. The other glorifies yourself and God.  I know it sounds like i'm being nitpicky, but I believe that when we say things like this, it lends itself to making a gray area of who we are with respect to God.  Yes, I am a great creation, but I am God's creation, thus He is great, not me.  And so on for all the things you mention.  I guess the short of what I'm trying to say is that I agree with what you say, so long as you are giving God all the glory for being what you say.  I believe this is what Paul is talking about in 2 Corinthians 12:6-8 when he addressed the people of Corinth. 

We are living evidence of GOD's glory...

God is great....

We are great becuase GOD has made us... (2 different types of "great")

"Believing in yourself is giving GOD credit for his creation" might be a better way to say what i mean."

I like how you know passages in the bible that talk about these things.  :)

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #79 on: August 15, 2006, 06:04:21 AM »
I can't believe that even required any sort of clarification at all. Seemed pretty self-evident to me.  :-\
w

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #80 on: August 15, 2006, 07:10:23 AM »
I can't believe that even required any sort of clarification at all. Seemed pretty self-evident to me.  :-\
Actually, Jag,  the first of the red flags went off when I saw that you were actually in agreement with a professed follower of God.   :-\

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #81 on: August 15, 2006, 07:13:01 AM »
Actually, Jag,  the first of the red flags went off when I saw that you were actually in agreement with a professed follower of God.   :-\

Well if THAT was your reason, ...may I suggest you adjust your radar systems because they are clearly OFF line.
w

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #82 on: August 15, 2006, 07:17:19 AM »
Quote from: jaguarenterprises
Well if THAT was your reason, ...may I suggest you adjust your radar systems because they are clearly OFF line.
it was only one.  trust me.  your opinion doesn't mean but so much to me.   :-*

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #83 on: August 24, 2006, 03:24:55 AM »
On the Inherent Good in People

"Always try to see the good in people, no matter who they are. You will tell me, of course, that if we have illusions about others, we risk falling into traps and paying dearly for it. Even religions admit that human nature is basically bad, so why delude ourselves? Well, I will respond that your reasoning is incomplete and inadequate. You have fixed on the bad, forgetting that human beings are sons and daughters of God and have a soul and a spirit. Even if we do not see this divine spark at work very often, it is there, and, if we prepare conditions favourable to it, it is always capable of manifesting. In any case, deciding once and for all that people are bad will not favour the manifestation of their divine nature."

Omraam Mikhaël Aïvanhov
w

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #84 on: September 11, 2006, 05:28:18 AM »
DO THE RIGHT THING

"Do the right thing.  Do it because it's right.  Do it right."

When my husband's company decided to move across the country, Joe and I decided not to move with them.  Many employees were bitter about the move.  Some felt obligated to go with the company, and were resentful about being separated from family and friends.  Others felt that moving was not an option for them, and were indignant about being left behind.  My husband had a totally different attitude.  Even though he elected not to move with his company, he cheerfully and wholeheartedly got busy helping with the move.  As soon as he did, some of his coworkers began questioning him.  "Why are you helping with this move?  You're being left behind!"  Some even eyed him suspiciously, asking, "What's in it for you?"  Joe would just smile and say that he was doing it simply because he believed it was the right thing to do.

Years ago, I heard a godly man say:  "Do the right thing.  Do it because it's right.  Do it right."  I have thought about this man's message many times over the years, and I have even posted his words of wisdom on my kitchen refrigerator for everyone to see.  No doubt, my husband's attitude toward his company's move was influenced by these powerful principles.  As Joe made up his mind to do what he thought was the right thing in a difficult situation, he became downright joyful.  And this is actually scriptural, because the Bible says, "You're one happy man when you do what's right, one happy woman when you form the habit of justice." (Psalm 106:3 MSG)  While my husband was surrounded by sour faces, he was able to wear a smile.  Don't you think that made him a more effective witness for Christ?  You bet it did.  And he was honoring the Lord with his attitude and actions.  As Proverbs says:  "To do right honors God; to sin is to despise Him." (Proverbs 14:2 TLB)  No matter what we say with our lips, if our conduct isn't right, we are demonstrating a lack of reverence and respect for the Lord, and we are damaging our witness.

Scripture says:  "I, the Lord, search all hearts and examine secret motives.  I give all people their due rewards, according to what their actions deserve." (Jeremiah 17:9-10 NLT)  My husband had the right motive when he decided to help his company with their move simply because it was the right thing to do.  He wasn't being compensated for it by his company, and he wasn't even getting any special recognition.  But he knew that the Lord saw his heart, and that He would honor his good intentions somehow.  Besides that, Joe has always taken pride in his work, even when he was doing the most menial tasks.  And he has always taken to heart the fact that, "Well-done work has its own reward." (Proverbs 12:14 MSG)

When the Bible talks about performing a job of any kind, it says, "Don't just do the minimum that will get you by.  Do your best." (Colossians 3:23 MSG)  In other words, do the job right.  When Joe set about helping his company move, he threw all his energy into the task, and he did a good job.  As he kept his eyes on the Lord, instead of on his employer or coworkers, he was able to resist the temptation to slack off or to feel sorry for himself.  The rest of this scriptural passage says:  "Work from the heart for your real Master, for God, confident that you'll get paid in full when you come into your inheritance.  Keep in mind always that the ultimate Master you're serving is Christ.  The sullen servant who does shoddy work will be held responsible.  Being a follower of Jesus doesn't cover up bad work." (Colossians 3:23-25 MSG)

After my husband's company moved away, it was almost a year before he could find another job.  During that time, he suffered a major heart attack, and we faced some serious financial problems.  Would Joe have done things any differently when his company moved, had he known what troubles were up ahead for him?  No.  Because did the right thing, simply because it was the right thing to do, he has had no regrets.  Whatever you are facing today, will you answer God's call to do what is right in His sight?

Lord, please give me the courage, the strength, and the grace I need to do the right thing in every situation and circumstance.  Remind me often that my motives mean everything to You, and that no matter who I'm dealing with, I'm ultimately serving You.  Thank You that as I concentrate on pleasing and glorifying You, I will live a life of satisfaction, fulfillment, and purpose!

From J.M. Farro  (www.jmfarro.com)

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #85 on: September 12, 2006, 05:35:35 AM »
Good devotional from Pastor Bob Coy

www.activeword.org/devotional/index.cfm?d=20060911

Martin1981

• Getbig II
« Reply #86 on: September 12, 2006, 11:04:01 PM »
I'll recommend a book: "Civilization and Its Discontents", by Sigmund Freud.  It's a pretty amazing view as to what human nature is like, and certainly quite a different view from what's been expressed here.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #87 on: September 20, 2006, 09:10:44 PM »
On Celestial Currents

"An infinite number of waves travel throughout space, and science has perfected highly specialized instruments capable of capturing some of them. But there are other, even subtler waves which we ourselves can learn to capture, for we have the means to do so. The Creator has placed psychic centres within us – the aura and the chakras in particular – which allow us to receive waves projected across space by entities of the invisible world. Just as we do for programmes broadcast by radio stations, we must tune our receivers to the corresponding frequencies if we want to capture these waves. ‘How do we tune our receivers?’ you ask. By working to purify yourselves, for once the field has been cleared, the channel is free, and celestial currents no longer encounter obstacles on their way to you. "

Omraam Mikhaël Aïvanhov
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #88 on: September 20, 2006, 09:24:58 PM »
Why don't you just post the link to the site that contains all of the Omraam Mikhaël Aïvanhov quotes, since he's the only person you seem to reference?

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #89 on: September 21, 2006, 01:06:09 AM »
there isn't one.

And stop being such an intolerant religious bigot. If you don't like his comments, don't read them.  >:(
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #90 on: September 21, 2006, 01:29:28 AM »
there isn't one.

And stop being such an intolerant religious bigot. If you don't like his comments, don't read them.  >:(

I don't read them.  It's just that the links are much easier to skip over than the gobbledygook text you always quote. 

I bet you don't even read that nonsense. 

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #91 on: September 22, 2006, 06:32:54 AM »
Do What You Can NOW, Not When It's Too Late!

1 Timothy 2:1-4 (NIV)

I urge, then first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone--for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness.  This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.

Just as everyone was devastated at the untimely death of Steve Irwin a couple of weeks ago, I was really taken aback.  I immediately found myself wondering if Steve was saved, so much so that I prayed about it often as I was sorting through my feelings of hurt for his wife, Terri, and his kids.  I remember asking STella if she thought he was saved.  I realized what I was doing...I was trying to justify Steve into heaven.  I thought, here is this man, who is so passionate about all the creatures that God has placed on this earth, how could he NOT know that their was a God in heaven.  But in the world in which we live, it's very easy to be blinded of our faith, even when the tangibles are right in front of us. 

Well, it dawned on me a couple of days ago that...if I really cared about Steve Irwin's salvation, I should have been praying for him all along.  It was confirmed later that indeed Steve Irwin had recently accepted Christ as his Savior.  While I was elated to find this out, I was kind of saddened again, because I realized I hadn't done my part to pray for him.

Paul writes to Timothy and gives him instructions on how to serve the people in Ephesus.  As I read these verses above, I understand that we should always be praying for others in the hopes that they might understand who Christ is and come to love Him and accept Him as their Savior.  I guess I had forgotten to do this for Steve Irwin.   Rest assured, I'll do my best not to make this mistake again for others.

In His Name,

Colossus

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #92 on: September 25, 2006, 05:24:41 AM »
OUR HELPER THE HOLY SPIRIT

"But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you."  John 14:26 NASB

Years ago, a young student wrote me for prayer concerning an exam that she was preparing to take.  She said, "Please pray that the Holy Spirit will bring to my remembrance the things I need to know during my exam."  It was a simple request, but one that would radically change my prayer life.  I was familiar with Jesus' words in John 14:26 (NIV)--"But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you"--but I was always under the impression that this kind of supernatural "recall" was limited to spiritual things.  I was wrong. 

Nowadays, I count on the Spirit of God for all kinds of things, both large and small.  If I'm doing laundry and I have to be out of earshot of my machines, I ask the Holy Spirit to remind me to check them before our clothes are ruined.  If I'm in the shower and I notice that the bar of soap is getting small, I ask Him to remind me to replace it as soon as I get out of the tub.  Occasionally, when I want to wake up earlier than usual, but I don't need to set my alarm, I pray, "Holy Spirit, please wake me up at just the right time in the morning."  Since it pleases the Lord for us to exercise our faith, I believe that it delights His heart when we practice using our "faith muscles" in this way.  As our faith grows, we will find it easier to use it for bigger things, and under tougher circumstances.  The truth is, there simply isn't anything that's too small or insignificant for us to pray about.  Jesus said:  "I urge you to pray for absolutely everything, ranging from small to large.  Include everything as you embrace this God-life, and you'll get God's everything." (Mark 11:24 MSG)  This kind of all-inclusive prayer will not only increase our level of blessings, but it will increase our intimacy with God.  As far as I'm concerned, that alone is a good enough reason to pray about everything.

Did you know that you could ask the Holy Spirit to help you to memorize the Word of God?  It's true.  I'm so grateful that the Lord led me to hear a teaching on this subject many years ago, so that I could take advantage of this divine gift.  Sometimes people ask me how I've managed to memorize so many Scriptures.  I have to confess that I rely heavily on the Spirit of God's help in this area.  Lately, we've all been hearing about how memorization can keep the human brain healthy and young.  I can't think of anything that's better for us to memorize than the Holy Scriptures.  As we plant--or "deposit"--God's Word in our hearts and minds in this way, we will be able to make the necessary "withdrawals" when we need to pray for ourselves or others.  Praying the Word of God is powerful.  And the Holy Spirit will bring to mind the exact Scriptures we need to pray for each person at the proper time.  Do you ever tell people that you're going to pray for them, but then you forget?  Well, you can ask the Spirit of God to bring those people to your remembrance often, so that you won't neglect to keep them covered in prayer.

Sometimes, when my husband I and are shopping at a large store and we get separated, I pray, "Holy Spirit, please lead me to Joe."  I've also asked Him to help me locate something that I've misplaced.  And I'm always amazed at how He shows that He cares by answering these little petitions.  Scripture says, "By our faith--the Holy Spirit helps us with our daily problems and in our praying." (Romans 8:26 TLB)  If you have trusted Christ as your Savior, and have made Him the Lord of your life, you have a divine "Helper" living on the inside of you right now.  Ask Him to help you with your "daily problems" and "in your praying," and take full advantage of the privileges and rights that belong to you in Christ!

Lord, help me to become more sensitive to Your Spirit's leading through prayer and the study of Your Word.  Teach me how to rely more heavily upon Your Spirit as I go about my daily routine.  Thank You that as I invite and involve You in everything I do, I will experience Your presence and Your power like never before!

From J.M. Farro  (www.jmfarro.com)

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #93 on: September 25, 2006, 12:06:00 PM »
A LESSON I LEARNED FROM A BRATTY KID

There was a kid in front of us at church yesterday, staring at people, making noise, punching around on his uncle etc.  When his mother reached for his arm to calm him, he pulled it away like a total BRAT. 

You could see his parents were disappointed and irritated by the kid's behavior. 

After thinking how badly that kid was getting on my nerves, I realized something. 

I am like that little kid sometimes.  God is like the mother who was trying to get the kid to behave.   :-[

R

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #94 on: September 25, 2006, 01:51:09 PM »
A LESSON I LEARNED FROM A BRATTY KID

There was a kid in front of us at church yesterday, staring at people, making noise, punching around on his uncle etc.  When his mother reached for his arm to calm him, he pulled it away like a total BRAT. 

You could see his parents were disappointed and irritated by the kid's behavior. 

After thinking how badly that kid was getting on my nerves, I realized something. 

I am like that little kid sometimes.  God is like the mother who was trying to get the kid to behave.   :-[

Ouch!  Talk about conviction. :-[  I never looked at it like that.

great post, buddyro!

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #95 on: September 25, 2006, 05:45:08 PM »
Creating Internal Harmony

"The sun is the centre of the solar system, and all the planets revolve around it in harmonious motion. It is this harmonious movement of the planets around the sun that we must recreate within ourselves, so that all the particles of our being enter into the rhythm of universal life. When we contemplate the sunrise each morning with the desire to draw on its energies, to penetrate it but also to rediscover it within ourselves, we leave the periphery of our being where disorder reigns and return to the centre in peace, freedom and light. In doing so we re-establish within ourselves an identical system with its own sun at the centre: our spirit, which comes to dwell in us and take command.

For solutions to the questions that arise daily in both our psychic and material lives, we must work inwardly to become an organized system, in other words to place the sun within us, so that everything revolves around this centre of light and warmth."

Omraam Mikhaël Aïvanhov
w

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #96 on: September 25, 2006, 05:53:09 PM »
Ouch!  Talk about conviction. :-[  I never looked at it like that.

great post, buddyro!

I'll tell ya buddyro, it was a good lesson but that kid was a bit.......well.......ske ery :o
R

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #97 on: September 26, 2006, 06:18:56 AM »
I'll tell ya buddyro, it was a good lesson but that kid was a bit.......well.......ske ery :o
Don't be skerd, buddryo!   ;D

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #98 on: September 26, 2006, 08:42:31 AM »
Don't be skerd, buddryo!   ;D

The name "Damien" kept coming to mind :o   :'(
R

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139