Author Topic: The Devotionals Thread  (Read 235432 times)

Butterbean

• Getbig V
Re: The Devotionals Thread
« Reply #100 on: September 26, 2006, 01:00:29 PM »
It was his eyes buddyro...and his lack of smile.....kinda freaky
R

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #101 on: September 26, 2006, 01:12:59 PM »
dat boy got da debil in him! :o

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #102 on: September 26, 2006, 01:16:02 PM »
A LESSON I LEARNED FROM A BRATTY KID

There was a kid in front of us at church yesterday, staring at people, making noise, punching around on his uncle etc.  When his mother reached for his arm to calm him, he pulled it away like a total BRAT. 

You could see his parents were disappointed and irritated by the kid's behavior. 

After thinking how badly that kid was getting on my nerves, I realized something. 

I am like that little kid sometimes.  God is like the mother who was trying to get the kid to behave.   :-[

Send that kid to my house.  I will have complete control within 24 hours.  He'll be doing push ups, doing his chores, sitting quietly in church.   ;D

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #103 on: September 28, 2006, 06:28:05 AM »
On The Subject of Faith or Trust in Authority

"It is true that I sometimes say to you: ‘Believe me’, but this does not mean I am asking for blind faith. I ask only that you take my explanations seriously, that you meditate on them, put them to the test and verify them. Because if you examine them, I am absolutely sure you will believe me. On the other hand, if you believe me just like that, without thought or verification, sooner or later anyone or anything will be able to sway you. Contrary to what most people think, faith is not a simple blind adherence, without foundation, and because people do not understand this, they are forever in the throes of uncertainty. Faith, like science, is founded on verification, experimentation and lucidity."

Omraam Mikhaël Aïvanhov
w

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #104 on: September 28, 2006, 08:47:34 AM »
Hebrews 11:1

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #105 on: October 03, 2006, 11:50:29 AM »
On Seeking Comfort

"There are always new things to learn, new efforts to be made. This is what keeps us young and alive. Today, in spite of immense advances in medicine, diseases unknown in the past are appearing in industrialized and prosperous countries. Why is this? And why do so many people suffer from depression, anxiety and other nervous disorders?

Because even if they work, people always consider a life of comfort, ease and pleasure as their ideal. But this programme for a life of ease is inscribed nowhere in nature. Comfort, ease and the pursuit of pleasure introduce the germs of disease in man and destroy his very life. His cells grow lazy and no longer eliminate impurities. They become toxic, and his organism loses its capacity for resistance. Be wary of comfort, ease and a life of pleasure; rid your mind of this ideal, for in reality it is the bearer of death."

Omraam Mikhaël Aïvanhov
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #106 on: October 03, 2006, 11:51:16 AM »
Register Your Vote

"More than six billion human beings inhabit the earth, but how many of them genuinely wish for the peace and happiness of humanity? So very few! And when these few raise their voices they are quickly stifled by the clamour of those who, consciously or not, only want to dominate others and seize their lands and riches. This is why the celestial entities, seeing how few people are capable of voting in favour of peace and well-being for all, have no choice but to leave humanity to its sad lot.

Without realizing it, human beings are participating, for good or ill, in a collective endeavour. If the voices of the altruistic and enlightened increase in number – or even if, without increasing their numbers they become more powerful and convincing – the decision will be taken in favour of the kingdom of God and the Golden Age. But people themselves must tilt the balance in this direction, for the spirits on high do not intervene. They are content, shall we say, to register the votes."

Omraam Mikhaël Aïvanhov
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #107 on: October 03, 2006, 11:52:50 AM »
Pillars of Love and Faith

"Our inner life rests on two pillars, love and faith, and we must therefore work with them. There are scientists who want to annihilate faith, and claim they will free us from all superstition. As for love, the philosophers view it with scorn: they see its various manifestations – goodness, gentleness, humility – as examples of intellectual weakness, and in their opinion it is the intellect alone that makes understanding possible.

Well, there you have the entire conflict in perspective! I am not an enemy of either science or philosophy. I merely observe that the two pillars which support humanity’s inner temple have been seriously shaken, and if we do nothing to reinforce them the entire edifice will collapse. If we no longer have faith or love, how can we speak of hope?"

Omraam Mikhaël Aïvanhov
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #108 on: October 06, 2006, 04:05:24 PM »
I'm currently reading "The Traveler's Gift:  Seven Decisions That Determine Personal Success."  It's about a man who is having a major life crisis, gets into an accident, and is then transported through time to meet different historical figures, who each give him advice.  So far, he has met Harry Truman, Solomon, Columbus, Anne Frank, and Abraham Lincoln.  During his conversation with Lincoln, Lincoln makes the following comment:

"Sooner or later, every man of character will have that character questioned.  Every man of honor and courage will be faced with unjust criticism, but never forget that unjust criticism has no impact whatsoever upon the truth.  And the only sure way to avoid criticism is to do nothing and be nothing!" 

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #109 on: October 08, 2006, 12:26:43 AM »

"Sooner or later, every man of character will have that character questioned.  Every man of honor and courage will be faced with unjust criticism, but never forget that unjust criticism has no impact whatsoever upon the truth.  And the only sure way to avoid criticism is to do nothing and be nothing!" 

So very true. One should always be more concerned with their character than their reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. And remember, there are a lot of people out there who succumb to jealousy and live their lives vicariously through you. Your successes only make them more aware of the meaningless lives they lead, while you don't know or care that they exist.
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #110 on: October 08, 2006, 12:28:02 AM »
On Working With The Light

"When rays of light fall on an object, it becomes visible. Without this light we see nothing. This proves that if the ‘invisible world’ does not exist for us, it is simply because we are unable to project the rays of light which would allow us to see the objects and entities that exist there. Initiates are able to see so many things others cannot see, precisely because they know how to project these rays. This is why they insist so emphatically that we work on the light and with the light, so that we too may learn to project these rays which alone enable us to see the subtle realities of the spiritual world."

Omraam Mikhaël Aïvanhov
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #111 on: October 10, 2006, 03:39:18 AM »
On Working Towards Perfection

"When Jesus said: ‘My Father is still working, and I also am working’, what did he want us to understand? Have you ever asked yourself this question? Very simply, he was asking us to start working as well. But instead, people leave Jesus to his work with his Father, while they tend to their hens and pigs. You will say: ‘But there is a world of difference between Jesus and us! He is the son of God, he is perfect, while we…! It is arrogant to imagine that we could do the same work he does.’ Fine, think what you will, but know that Jesus himself thought differently, since he also said: ‘Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.’ Or again: ‘The one who believes in me will also do the works that I do and, in fact, will do greater works than these.’ This is why I tell you that Christians are lazy. They would have others believe it is out of humility that they do not engage in the only activity which is truly worthwhile: participating in the work of God. No, this is not humility, but laziness! "

Omraam Mikhaël Aïvanhov
w

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #112 on: October 11, 2006, 08:56:10 AM »
PROOF OF HIS LOVE

My son, do not reject the discipline of the LORD, or loathe His reproof, For whom the LORD loves He reproves, Even as a father corrects the son in whom he delights.    Proverbs 3:11-12  NASB

Years ago, my husband, Joe, was in a very unfair job situation which perplexes him to this day.  He and one other man worked for a boss who was very hard on my husband, but very easy on his coworker.  This boss expected Joe to be on time for work, but when his coworker was late, sometimes hours late, he never said a word.  Joe's boss didn't want my husband spending too much time on the phone, yet this other man got personal calls all day long.  My husband's coworker did very little work, while Joe was given more and more tasks to complete, sometimes with unreasonable deadlines.  Numerous times, my husband tried talking to his boss and his coworker about the unfairness of the situation, but nothing ever changed.

Just the other day, Joe was talking about this experience, and how he is still baffled by it.  I told him that his boss obviously had a lot of respect for him, and that he recognized his great potential, and that's why he expected so much more from my husband than from the other man.  As we spoke, it dawned on me that this scenario is one that's often played out in the lives of believers.  We see other people getting away with all kinds of misbehavior, and yet we suffer divine conviction and correction when we do things that aren't nearly half as bad.  Why is that?  Because God expects more from His children, than from those who aren't devoted to Him.  And Scripture bears this out.  Jesus said:  "That servant who knows his master's will and does not get ready or does not do what his master wants will be beaten with many blows.  But the one who does not know and does things deserving punishment will be beaten with few blows.  From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked." (Luke 12:47-48 NIV)  Once we hear the message of the Gospel and choose to follow Christ, because of our awareness of the truth, and our commitment to the Lord, we will be held to higher standards than the rest of the world.

I like the way the Living Bible translates Luke 12:48:  "Much is required from those to whom much is given, for their responsibility is greater."  Why is our responsibility greater?  One reason is that Christ-followers are given special gifts--gifts that should be used to serve God and others for the good of the Kingdom.  As the Message Bible puts it, "Great gifts mean great responsibilities; greater gifts, greater responsibilities!"  Perhaps you think you don't have a lot of gifts or talents.  You are wrong.  God has equipped you with everything you need to be a world-changer for His glory.  He has planted seeds of greatness on the inside of you, and you will see them grow and blossom as you walk in close fellowship with Him on a moment-by-moment basis.  Scripture says, "God has given gifts to each of you from His great variety of spiritual gifts.  Manage them well so that God's generosity can flow through you." (1 Peter 4:10 NLT)  The Lord wants to help us fulfill our God-given purpose and potential.  One of the ways we can cooperate with Him is to "manage" our gifts and talents "well."  God will give us supernatural wisdom and grace to do exactly that when we call on Him in faith.

The Bible says:  "Do not resent it when God chastens and corrects you, for His punishment is proof of His love.  Just as a father punishes a son he delights in to make him better, so the Lord corrects you." (Proverbs 3:11-12 TLB)  If we would begin seeing God's loving correction as "proof of His love," we would respond to it in ways that would make us more productive and fruitful for His glory, and in ways that would draw us closer to Him.  He sees our awesome potential, and He disciplines us to "make us better," not to belittle us, or discourage us.  God is calling us up to higher levels of obedience, responsibility, and blessing.  Today, let's answer His call and become all He created us to be!

Lord, give me the wisdom and humility I need to respond to your loving correction in Christlike ways.  Teach me how to seek Your face each day, so You can reveal to me exactly what my God-given gifts are.  Thank You that as I manage my gifts well, You will help me to reach my maximum potential!

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #113 on: October 18, 2006, 01:53:18 AM »
Trangressing Laws and the Loss of Power

"People think they have tremendous power over themselves: they can commit any stupidity whatsoever with no consequences, because simply by willing it they can live in peace. Poor creatures, so quick to assess the extent of their power! No matter what they do, if they have behaved badly, something within them will grow darker and darker and finally disintegrate.

To go forward in life with confidence and a sense of security, you must subject your thoughts, feelings and actions to the laws of honesty, integrity and selflessness. As soon as one of these laws is transgressed, you lose your powers, and these are restored only if you correct your mistakes and take up the right path again. What distinguishes true spiritualists from ordinary human beings is that they become conscious of their errors right away and are quick to make amends. This is where their power lies: in recognizing their mistakes and seeking to rectify them."

Omraam Mikhaël Aïvanhov
w

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #114 on: October 18, 2006, 06:40:39 AM »
Trangressing Laws and the Loss of Power

"People think they have tremendous power over themselves: they can commit any stupidity whatsoever with no consequences, because simply by willing it they can live in peace. Poor creatures, so quick to assess the extent of their power! No matter what they do, if they have behaved badly, something within them will grow darker and darker and finally disintegrate.

To go forward in life with confidence and a sense of security, you must subject your thoughts, feelings and actions to the laws of honesty, integrity and selflessness. As soon as one of these laws is transgressed, you lose your powers, and these are restored only if you correct your mistakes and take up the right path again. What distinguishes true spiritualists from ordinary human beings is that they become conscious of their errors right away and are quick to make amends. This is where their power lies: in recognizing their mistakes and seeking to rectify them."

Omraam Mikhaël Aïvanhov
Aïvanhov almost has the idea here, but he's missing a HUGE factor.  Without that key element, Aïvanhov's point is moot.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #115 on: October 27, 2006, 08:46:58 PM »
Aïvanhov almost has the idea here, but he's missing a HUGE factor.  Without that key element, Aïvanhov's point is moot.

::)  Don't tell me, ...he didn't make any mention of "Jesus"? If that's not what you meant, ...forgive my cynicism.
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #116 on: October 28, 2006, 01:29:04 AM »
Have you ever met another person who reads Omraam Mikhaël Aïvanhov?

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #117 on: October 30, 2006, 07:15:25 AM »
::)  Don't tell me, ...he didn't make any mention of "Jesus"? If that's not what you meant, ...forgive my cynicism.
Why, yes, Ms. Jag.  You are correct - God is the answer!!!  Someone give that lady her prize.   :P

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #118 on: November 03, 2006, 12:33:03 PM »
Why, yes, Ms. Jag.  You are correct - God is the answer!!! 

God IS the law to which he is referring

Someone give that lady her prize.   :P

Ooooh what did I win? ....a shiny new car, ...a trip around the world, ...$10 Million from Reader's Digest?  :P

w

Debussey

• Getbig IV
  • The shadow braggs about hitting women
« Reply #119 on: November 03, 2006, 12:40:56 PM »

You bratty little lady.
Support DEBUSSEYWORLD!

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #120 on: November 03, 2006, 12:44:08 PM »
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #121 on: November 05, 2006, 11:23:11 PM »
We are mere Seedlings of Divine Perfection

"Human beings are like seeds cast into the world by the Creator, each imprinted with the image of divine perfection. This is the meaning of the verse in Genesis which says that God created man in his image. And what is the destiny of a seed? To germinate and grow until it becomes a tree.

We are all seeds, which is to say potential divinities. Yes, and by striving each day to improve what is best in us, we will truly become divinities. To be a seed is magnificent in itself, but it is even better to become a tree with roots, a trunk, branches, leaves, flowers and fruits, for here we find plenitude. This is why we must work to come closer and closer to divine perfection, to this perfection already imprinted somewhere within us, as it is in the seed, so we too may become a tree of life."

Omraam Mikhaël Aïvanhov
w

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #122 on: November 06, 2006, 08:01:22 AM »
God IS the law to which he is referring

Ooooh what did I win? ....a shiny new car, ...a trip around the world, ...$10 Million from Reader's Digest?  :P

how's this for a prize?

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #123 on: November 06, 2006, 09:54:09 AM »
how's this for a prize?

kewl!  :D  umm... You are talking about the car, ...and not the chubby guy in the burgundy sweatshirt right?
w

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #124 on: November 06, 2006, 10:27:56 AM »
kewl!  :D  umm... You are talking about the car, ...and not the chubby guy in the burgundy sweatshirt right?
LOL!!!!  that was just wrong, Jag!