Author Topic: The Devotionals Thread  (Read 234645 times)

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
Re: The Devotionals Thread
« Reply #250 on: August 02, 2007, 06:08:07 AM »
The Urgency of Christ's Work
August 2, 2007

"I must work the works of Him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work" (John 9:4).

It is striking how often the Lord Jesus used the term "must" in connection with the different aspects of the work He came to do. Since He is our example, we also must be serious and urgent about our Father's work. Even as a boy in the temple He told His parents, "I must be about my Father's business" (Luke 2:49).

Then early in His ministry, as He went from place to place, He said: "I must preach the kingdom of God to other cities also: for therefore am I sent" (Luke 4:43). Toward the end of His earthly ministry, He said one day: "I must walk today, and tomorrow, and the day following: for it cannot be that a prophet perish out of Jerusalem" (Luke 13:33). He also said to His disciples that "He must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day" (Matthew 16:21).

He had told the great teacher of Israel, Nicodemus: "Ye must be born again." To explain how this could be, He then said: "And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have eternal life" (John 3:7,14,15). Before we could ever be born again to everlasting life, therefore, Christ must be lifted up on the cross to die for our sins.

Still, all "the scriptures must be fulfilled" (Mark 14:49), and accordingly, "He must rise again from the dead" (John 20:9). Yet, even this did not fully complete "the works of Him that sent me," for Christ had said that "the gospel must first be published among all nations" (Mark 13:10). Therefore, we also must work the works of Him who sent us, before our days of opportunity are gone. HMM

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #251 on: August 06, 2007, 03:23:39 AM »
The Endless Trap of Materialism

"Matter sets endless traps for human beings, and it is so successful that not only do people turn away from all spiritual practice, they consider those who feel the need for it ridiculous and even try to pass them off as abnormal. Since they are incapable of perceiving the advantages of a purer, more selfless conception of life, they are unwilling to renounce any of their material satisfactions, and they mock those who do not share their interests.

We see this so often! People have a tendency to ridicule or put down what they do not understand or what is beyond them. They close themselves off in a narrow, dull and mediocre existence, for the material world, however rich it may be, is very limited, and our abilities to make the most of it are even more limited. But, day after day, those who strive to live the life of the spirit discover indescribable treasures and extraordinary sensations."

Omraam Mikhaël Aïvanhov
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #252 on: August 07, 2007, 07:48:17 AM »
Working with Divine Ways

"In the Lord’s Prayer, Christians recite ‘Thy kingdom come.’ And why, after two thousand years, is there still so much war, famine, poverty and misery? Because people have not learned how to work. They recite ‘Thy kingdom come’ half-heartedly, and they continue to emphasize the faults and shortcomings of one group or another: how poorly they are organized, the money they have misspent… They count solely on material solutions, and in applying them they are drawn into endless conflict.

If you sincerely wish for the coming of the kingdom of God, you must put aside human ways, the ways of matter, and work with divine ways, the ways of the spirit. This means nourishing the very best desires and feelings in yourself and speaking only positive words. These feelings, desires and words activate luminous forces in the invisible world, which come to help in the realization of this kingdom of love and peace."

Omraam Mikhaël Aïvanhov
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #253 on: August 09, 2007, 05:14:44 AM »
On the Creation of a More Perfect Union

"Although this entity we call our higher Self is part of who we are, it does not live in us. If it did, we would perform wonders. From time to time it comes to manifest in us; now and then it makes contact with our mind. But since our mind is not yet ready to vibrate in perfect unison with our higher Self, we cannot accommodate it, and it cannot stay. It leaves, but it continues to work on our mind, preparing it to become its home one day.

When our mind is ready, our higher Self, which is nothing less than a part of God himself, will come to stay, and we will understand that in the higher realms of our being we are truly one with God."

Omraam Mikhaël Aïvanhov
w

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #254 on: August 09, 2007, 08:45:05 AM »
Quench Your Spiritual Thirst
by Dr. Adrian Rogers, Love Worth Finding Ministries

"Jesus answered and said unto her, 'Whosoever drinketh of this water shall thirst again: But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.'" John 4:13-14

Have you ever been outside working in your garden or bicycling or playing football and become very thirsty? Perhaps you go inside and grab a soda. It tastes great and seems to hit the spot.

Then, you return to your activity and you get thirsty again and go for another soda. It is satisfying at first, but just doesn't seem to keep you quenched.

Finally, you fill a big tall glass with water and you're satisfied. Why? If you look at the ingredients on the soda container, it says it is artificially colored and/or artificially flavored and/or artificially sweetened. It doesn't have that touch of authenticity.

Are you trying to satisfy your thirst with things that are artificial when what you need is the water of life? When was the last time you quenched your spiritual thirst with the sparkling refreshment of time spent with God?

Are you married or dating? Remember back to your first date and how excited you were. Make a date with God this week for one hour (and time spent in church doesn't count!). Mark it on your calendar and make it your FIRST priority.

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #255 on: August 10, 2007, 07:01:31 AM »
Blessed Is He
by John Morris, Ph.D.

"Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered. Blessed is the man unto whom the Lord imputeth not iniquity" (Psalm 32:1-2).

What true believer is there who is not eternally thankful for the truths found in our text? Sins of omission, sins of commission, sins of deliberate action, sins of the heart, youthful sins, covert sins, "big" sins, "little" sins, etc. What a thrill to know that the penalty for our sins has been paid in full, if we but accept His free gift. What rejoicing and freedom forgiveness brings.

Note that there are three different expressions for wrongdoing in our text -- transgression, sin, and iniquity. The differences in these words are not insignificant, but precise differentiation is beyond the scope of this discussion. Suffice it to say that they can be understood to mean the whole gamut of sinful activity.

Likewise there are three separate aspects of God's forgiving grace mentioned, "forgiven . . . covered . . . not imputed." In every way possible our sin is removed from us, and no more payment is necessary.

However, God's forgiveness must be conditioned on the individual's action. A lack of action results in the bearing of the sin, the guilt, and the consequences, again specified in a three-fold manner. "My bones waxed old . . . my roaring . . . thy hand was heavy upon me" (vv.3-4).

In keeping with the pattern of the psalm, three such actions are mentioned. "I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord" (v.5). The result? "And thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin."

Because of all this, we should have a three-fold response: "Be glad in the Lord, and rejoice, ye righteous: and shout for joy, all ye that are upright in heart" (v.11). JDM

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #256 on: August 14, 2007, 04:30:32 AM »
On The Learning of Divine Lessons & Divine Laws

"You are not prohibited from seeking happiness here on earth. But never forget that the earth is a school, and as with any school you will find nothing but lessons here. Yes, and the lessons come from all directions! Until you have understood this, you will be tormented by destiny and will suffer.

The invisible world sends sages to human beings as instructors who can facilitate their apprenticeship. If people refuse to accept their teaching, they will meet with other instructors: failure, illness and misery, and these are merciless. If you want to avoid the terrible lessons of these instructors, accept the lessons of your master, who wants to help and protect you. This is more reasonable. When you refuse to learn the divine laws voluntarily, you are forced to learn them the hard way."

Omraam Mikhaël Aïvanhov
w

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #257 on: August 14, 2007, 08:30:35 PM »
On The Learning of Divine Lessons & Divine Laws

"You are not prohibited from seeking happiness here on earth. But never forget that the earth is a school, and as with any school you will find nothing but lessons here. Yes, and the lessons come from all directions! Until you have understood this, you will be tormented by destiny and will suffer.

The invisible world sends sages to human beings as instructors who can facilitate their apprenticeship. If people refuse to accept their teaching, they will meet with other instructors: failure, illness and misery, and these are merciless. If you want to avoid the terrible lessons of these instructors, accept the lessons of your master, who wants to help and protect you. This is more reasonable. When you refuse to learn the divine laws voluntarily, you are forced to learn them the hard way."

Omraam Mikhaël Aïvanhov
??? ??? ???

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #258 on: August 14, 2007, 10:25:48 PM »
??? ??? ???

"Whatsoever thou sowest, ...so shall thou reapest."

Gee, I thought that was simple enough, ...guess not
w

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #259 on: August 15, 2007, 06:36:25 AM »
"Whatsoever thou sowest, ...so shall thou reapest."

Gee, I thought that was simple enough, ...guess not
I'm not sure that the point Aïvanhov makes is relevent to the Gospel.   Just kind of leaves you hanging in the air like your floating in space.

I like this so much better, because it has a more meaningful point (imo).  Place your efforts in knowing Christ. 

Matthew 13
The Parable of the Sower

1That same day Jesus went out of the house and sat by the lake. 2Such large crowds gathered around him that he got into a boat and sat in it, while all the people stood on the shore. 3Then he told them many things in parables, saying: "A farmer went out to sow his seed. 4As he was scattering the seed, some fell along the path, and the birds came and ate it up. 5Some fell on rocky places, where it did not have much soil. It sprang up quickly, because the soil was shallow. 6But when the sun came up, the plants were scorched, and they withered because they had no root. 7Other seed fell among thorns, which grew up and choked the plants. 8Still other seed fell on good soil, where it produced a crop—a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown. 9He who has ears, let him hear."
 10The disciples came to him and asked, "Why do you speak to the people in parables?"

11He replied, "The knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of heaven has been given to you, but not to them. 12Whoever has will be given more, and he will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken from him. 13This is why I speak to them in parables:
   "Though seeing, they do not see;
      though hearing, they do not hear or understand. 14In them is fulfilled the prophecy of Isaiah:
   " 'You will be ever hearing but never understanding;
      you will be ever seeing but never perceiving.
 15For this people's heart has become calloused;
      they hardly hear with their ears,
      and they have closed their eyes.
   Otherwise they might see with their eyes,
      hear with their ears,
      understand with their hearts
   and turn, and I would heal them.'[a] 16But blessed are your eyes because they see, and your ears because they hear. 17For I tell you the truth, many prophets and righteous men longed to see what you see but did not see it, and to hear what you hear but did not hear it.

18"Listen then to what the parable of the sower means: 19When anyone hears the message about the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what was sown in his heart. This is the seed sown along the path. 20The one who received the seed that fell on rocky places is the man who hears the word and at once receives it with joy. 21But since he has no root, he lasts only a short time. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, he quickly falls away. 22The one who received the seed that fell among the thorns is the man who hears the word, but the worries of this life and the deceitfulness of wealth choke it, making it unfruitful. 23But the one who received the seed that fell on good soil is the man who hears the word and understands it. He produces a crop, yielding a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown."

The Parable of the Weeds
 24Jesus told them another parable: "The kingdom of heaven is like a man who sowed good seed in his field. 25But while everyone was sleeping, his enemy came and sowed weeds among the wheat, and went away. 26When the wheat sprouted and formed heads, then the weeds also appeared.
 27"The owner's servants came to him and said, 'Sir, didn't you sow good seed in your field? Where then did the weeds come from?'

28" 'An enemy did this,' he replied.
      "The servants asked him, 'Do you want us to go and pull them up?'

29" 'No,' he answered, 'because while you are pulling the weeds, you may root up the wheat with them. 30Let both grow together until the harvest. At that time I will tell the harvesters: First collect the weeds and tie them in bundles to be burned; then gather the wheat and bring it into my barn.' "

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #260 on: August 17, 2007, 12:50:26 AM »
I'm not sure that the point Aïvanhov makes is relevent to the Gospel.   Just kind of leaves you hanging in the air like your floating in space.

Don't worry hun, at 311lbs. the law of gravity will kick in soon enough,
...and you won't have to worry about being left hanging in space anymore.  :P

I like this so much better, because it has a more meaningful point (imo).  Place your efforts in knowing Christ.

You like it better because you understand it better, ...therefore it's point is more meaningful to you.

Relevance is revelant.  ;) 

Matthew 13
The Parable of the Sower

1That same day Jesus went out of the house and sat by the lake. 2Such large crowds gathered around him that he got into a boat and sat in it, while all the people stood on the shore. 3Then he told them many things in parables, saying: "A farmer went out to sow his seed. 4As he was scattering the seed, some fell along the path, and the birds came and ate it up. 5Some fell on rocky places, where it did not have much soil. It sprang up quickly, because the soil was shallow. 6But when the sun came up, the plants were scorched, and they withered because they had no root. 7Other seed fell among thorns, which grew up and choked the plants. 8Still other seed fell on good soil, where it produced a crop—a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown. 9He who has ears, let him hear."
 10The disciples came to him and asked, "Why do you speak to the people in parables?"

11He replied, "The knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of heaven has been given to you, but not to them. 12Whoever has will be given more, and he will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken from him. 13This is why I speak to them in parables:
   "Though seeing, they do not see;
      though hearing, they do not hear or understand. 14In them is fulfilled the prophecy of Isaiah:
   " 'You will be ever hearing but never understanding;
      you will be ever seeing but never perceiving.
 15For this people's heart has become calloused;
      they hardly hear with their ears,
      and they have closed their eyes.
   Otherwise they might see with their eyes,
      hear with their ears,
      understand with their hearts
   and turn, and I would heal them.'[a] 16But blessed are your eyes because they see, and your ears because they hear. 17For I tell you the truth, many prophets and righteous men longed to see what you see but did not see it, and to hear what you hear but did not hear it.

18"Listen then to what the parable of the sower means: 19When anyone hears the message about the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what was sown in his heart. This is the seed sown along the path. 20The one who received the seed that fell on rocky places is the man who hears the word and at once receives it with joy. 21But since he has no root, he lasts only a short time. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, he quickly falls away. 22The one who received the seed that fell among the thorns is the man who hears the word, but the worries of this life and the deceitfulness of wealth choke it, making it unfruitful. 23But the one who received the seed that fell on good soil is the man who hears the word and understands it. He produces a crop, yielding a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown."

Ahhhhh, verses familiar to many a successful network marketer.  :)

The Parable of the Weeds
 24Jesus told them another parable: "The kingdom of heaven is like a man who sowed good seed in his field. 25But while everyone was sleeping, his enemy came and sowed weeds among the wheat, and went away. 26When the wheat sprouted and formed heads, then the weeds also appeared.
 27"The owner's servants came to him and said, 'Sir, didn't you sow good seed in your field? Where then did the weeds come from?'

28" 'An enemy did this,' he replied.
      "The servants asked him, 'Do you want us to go and pull them up?'

29" 'No,' he answered, 'because while you are pulling the weeds, you may root up the wheat with them. 30Let both grow together until the harvest. At that time I will tell the harvesters: First collect the weeds and tie them in bundles to be burned; then gather the wheat and bring it into my barn.' "

w

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #261 on: August 20, 2007, 07:42:00 AM »
Untangling Life's Knots
by Max Lucado

It's your best friend's wedding. "I'll take care of the reception," you'd volunteered. You planned the best party possible. You hired the band, rented the hall, catered the meal, decorated the room, and asked your Aunt Bertha to bake the cake.

Now the band is playing and the guests are milling, but Aunt Bertha is nowhere to be seen. Everything is here but the cake. You sneak over to the pay phone and dial her number. She's been taking a nap. She thought the wedding was next week.

Oh boy! Now what do you do? Talk about a problem! Everything is here but the cake ...

Sound familiar?

It might. It's exactly the dilemma Jesus' mother, Mary, was facing. Back then, wine was to a wedding what cake is to a wedding today.
What Mary faced was a social problem. No need to call 911, but no way to sweep the embarrassment under the rug, either.

When you think about it, most of the problems we face are of the same caliber. We're late for a meeting. We leave something at the office. A coworker forgets a report. Mail gets lost. Traffic gets snarled. The waves rocking our lives are not life threatening yet. But they can be. A poor response to a simple problem can light a fuse.

For that reason you might want to note how Mary reacted. Her solution poses a practical plan for untangling life's knots. "They have no more wine," she told Jesus (John 2:3). That's it. That's all she said. She didn't go ballistic. She simply assessed the problem and gave it to Christ.

It's so easy to focus on everything but the solution. Mary didn't do that. She simply looked at the knot, assessed it, and took it to the right person. "I've got one here I can't untie, Jesus."

"When all the wine was gone Jesus' mother said to him, 'They have no more wine'" (John 2:3).

Please note, she took the problem to Jesus before she took it to anyone else. A friend told me about a tense deacons' meeting he attended. Apparently there was more agitation than agreement, and after a lengthy discussion, someone suggested, "Why don't we pray about it?" to which another questioned, "Has it come to that?"

What causes us to think of prayer as the last option rather than the first?

From A Gentle Thunder
Copyright (W Publishing Group, 2006) Max Lucado

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #262 on: August 20, 2007, 07:43:24 AM »
Don't worry hun, at 311lbs. the law of gravity will kick in soon enough,
...and you won't have to worry about being left hanging in space anymore.  :P
aaackkkkkkkkkkkkkk

cough...gurgle.....cough

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #263 on: August 26, 2007, 02:15:21 AM »
aaackkkkkkkkkkkkkk

cough...gurgle.....cough

whassamatter honeykins, ...somebody standing on your neck?  not me.
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #264 on: August 26, 2007, 02:16:05 AM »
On Communion

"Can Christians really have a good understanding of the spiritual life when they believe it is through the bread and wine of communion that they make contact with the Divinity? The Divinity is not willing to be locked away in material foods in order to be swallowed at a precise point in a religious service. What is more, to claim that communion can only be celebrated at such moments limits its meaning. From now on we must attribute a much broader and greater meaning to this act.

Communion is the very condition of life. This means that every day at every meal we can commune through our food. Although all the elements we take in are material, they have been impregnated with the life of the Creator, and by a work of thought, of consciousness, we can learn to extract the most subtle elements from them and nourish our soul and spirit. This is the true meaning of communion."

Omraam Mikhaël Aïvanhov
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #265 on: August 27, 2007, 02:08:13 AM »

The Sun

"For us, the sun is the best representation of God, but you must carry out a great inner work with its image if this truth is to become instilled in you. You can observe the sun for years, but, until you feel that it vibrates, radiates and pulsates within you, it will remain foreign to you and will not speak to you. It will even be pointless to go and greet the rising sun. You will be warmed a little, invigorated a little, and you will receive a few calories, a few ‘vitamins’, but nothing more.

By means of the physical sun, you must strive to find this inner sun, which is the sign that the Divinity dwells within you. And one day you will no longer need an intermediary between you and God, not even the sun. It is within you, in your inner sun, that you will find it."

Omraam Mikhaël Aïvanhov
w

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #266 on: August 31, 2007, 09:55:07 AM »
whassamatter honeykins, ...somebody standing on your neck?  not me.
I'm certain it was you, because I could smell corn chips while I was choking!   :P

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #267 on: August 31, 2007, 09:58:04 AM »
Practicing the Presence
by Max Lucado

How do I live in God's presence? How do I detect his unseen hand on my shoulder and his inaudible voice in my ear? A sheep grows familiar with the voice of the shepherd. How can you and I grow familiar with the voice of God? Here are a few ideas:

Give God your waking thoughts. Before you face the day, face the Father. Before you step out of bed, step into his presence. I have a friend who makes it a habit to roll out of his bed onto his knees and begin his day in prayer. Personally, I don't get that far. With my head still on the pillow and my eyes still closed, I offer God the first seconds of my day. The prayer is not lengthy and far from formal. Depending on how much sleep I got, it may not even be intelligible. Often it's nothing more than "Thank you for a night's rest. I belong to you today."

Give God your waiting thoughts. Spend time with him in silence. The mature married couple has learned the treasure of shared silence; they don't need to fill the air with constant chatter. Just being together is sufficient. Try being silent with God. "Be still, and know that I am God" (Ps. 46:10 niv). Awareness of God is a fruit of stillness before God.

Give God your whispering thoughts. Through the centuries Christians have learned the value of brief sentence prayers, prayers that can be whispered anywhere, in any setting.

Imagine considering every moment as a potential time of communion with God. By giving God your whispering thoughts, the common becomes uncommon. Simple phrases such as "Thank you, Father," "Be sovereign in this hour, O Lord," "You are my resting place, Jesus" can turn a commute into a pilgrimage. You needn't leave your office or kneel in your kitchen. Just pray where you are. Let the kitchen become a cathedral or the classroom a chapel. Give God your whispering thoughts.

And last, give God your waning thoughts. At the end of the day, let your mind settle on him. Conclude the day as you began it: talking to God. Thank him for the good parts. Question him about the hard parts. Seek his mercy. Seek his strength. And as you close your eyes, take assurance in the promise: "He who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep" (Ps. 121:4 niv). If you fall asleep as you pray, don't worry. What better place to doze off than in the arms of your Father.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #268 on: August 31, 2007, 08:20:07 PM »
I'm certain it was you, because I could smell corn chips while I was choking!   :P

Nuh-uh, ...I don't eat corn chips.  :-X
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #269 on: August 31, 2007, 08:22:30 PM »
Walking The Spiritual Path

"When you decide to walk a spiritual path, know that there will always be people who will put obstacles in your way or try to destroy your enthusiasm. This is normal. They are incapable of understanding all the luminous, generous thoughts and feelings you are nourishing within your heart and soul. But instead of becoming discouraged and giving up your work, or brooding about the situation, you must redouble your efforts. Remember how resourceful you are, that heaven has given you all kinds of possibilities, all kinds of faculties and forces, and that it is up to you to stand fast and persevere in your task. Why sacrifice your evolution, your inner wealth to the judgment and ill will of others? Who are they that you should bow to them? Continue to work, and one day they will be forced to recognize that it is you who are on the right path."

Omraam Mikhaël Aïvanhov
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #270 on: September 09, 2007, 05:19:13 PM »
On Setting Good Examples For Yourself

"Why is it important to keep constant watch over yourself? Because you are inhabited by an entire population of cells which imitate your attitudes and your behaviour. If you allow yourself to break divine laws, this populace takes note and follows your example. Don’t be surprised, then, when you experience gnawing pains and jolts. It is you, by your example, who have badly educated your cells, and many disorders within you are the consequence of this bad education.

You grumble while you work, shove chairs about, kick doors shut, bump into furniture and throw things… Well, this is reflected inside you, and your cells do the same thing: they grumble, they get annoyed, they strike out. You cry: ‘Ouch! Ow! What’s happening?’ Some of your cells are simply giving you a few kicks, and they learned this from you!"

Omraam Mikhaël Aïvanhov
w

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #271 on: September 10, 2007, 07:43:03 AM »
Eternal Blessings
by Henry Morris, Ph.D.

"Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life" (Jude 21).

This beautiful text contains the last of over forty New Testament occurrences of the phrase "eternal life," or "everlasting life" (same Greek words). We receive God's promise of life everlasting, of course, only through faith in the person and work of Jesus Christ, for "He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life" (John 3:36).

This is not just eternal existence however. The Scriptures give many wonderful promises of eternal blessings as well. We shall have an eternal home, "a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens" (II Corinthians 5:1). We are also joint heirs with Christ, "that by means of death . . . they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance" (Hebrews 9:15).

God will wipe away all tears, for our heavenly Father "hath loved us, and hath given us everlasting consolation and good hope through grace" (II Thessalonians 2:16). There will even be unending glory for every believer, for He "hath called us unto His eternal glory" (I Peter 5:10). Therefore, as Paul says, "our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory" (II Corinthians 4:17).

These eternal blessings are all ours through Jesus Christ, for He is "the author of eternal salvation" and has "obtained eternal redemption for us," all accomplished through His own shed "blood of the everlasting covenant" (Hebrews 5:9; 9:12; 13:20).

We shall, in fact, reign as kings with Him in "the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ" (II Peter 1:11), where we "shall reign for ever and ever" (Revelation 22:5). Best of all, however, we shall be with our Savior throughout the endless ages to come.

gymforlord

• Getbig II
« Reply #272 on: September 13, 2007, 11:21:48 AM »
To Whom Much Is Given, Much Will Be Required
9/08/2007   
“Take heed and beware of covetousness, for one’s life does not consist in the abundance of the things he possesses.” (Luke 12:15)
I don’t know about you, but I haven’t been able to get over the fact that Leona Helmsley left $12 million to her dog. Two of her grandchildren received nothing, but her dog got $12 million. Go figure it.

I could not believe how blind Ms. Helmsley was to her own extravagance. There are just too many needs where that kind of money can make a difference, which is why I think the Bible says, “And you shall remember the Lord your God, for it is He who gives you power to get wealth.” (Deuteronomy 8:18)
Dr. Albert Mohler, President of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary pointed to Helmsley’s gift of a perfect example of how we have strayed from the biblical hierarchy that God established between man and animals. Unfortunately, many of us, just like Leona Helmsley, have elevated our pets to the status of children.

As I searched for Scriptures for this week’s column, I ran across the story of the adulterous woman. The Scribes and the Pharisees had brought a woman to Jesus who had been caught in adultery. They reminded him that Mosaic Law commanded that she be stoned. But Jesus told them, “He who is without sin among you, let him throw a stone at her first.” (John 8:7)
I realized as I read that verse that I was throwing stones at others rather than looking at sin in my own life. God has been very good to me, but the real value from those blessings is determined by what I do with them. That’s why Jesus said, “For everyone to whom much is given, from him much will be required; and to whom much has been committed, of him they will ask the more.” (Luke 12:48)
Instead of dwelling on Leona Helmsley, God convicted me to look at how I was using what He had given to me. I was embarrassed by what I saw. Oh, we are poor by Leona Helmsley’s standards, but in my life I see examples of the same unwise use of the resources which God has given us. I know now that I had no right to cast that first stone.

I sure am glad I serve a forgiving God, but I have got to admit that sometimes I wonder what he sees in a sinner like me. There I stood ready to condemn sin in the life of someone else when I was guilty of the same sin. Isn’t it great that our sins are covered by the blood of Jesus and that there are no limits to his forgiveness?

What about you? How are you using the resources with which God has given to you? Listen to what Jesus says: “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it.” (Matthew 16:24-25)posted by Mike Ruffin on 9/08/2007

gymforlord

• Getbig II
« Reply #273 on: September 13, 2007, 12:07:55 PM »
From a Christian Bodybuilding blog

Being a Christian in today's climate is not easy-that is for certain. Being a STRONG WARRIOR FOR GOD may almost seem impossible. But, for us brave souls on a Mission, we have NO OTHER WAY TO BE.

I've put some thought into making a list of some tips I've used in my own life...

1. Make God #1-Take time, Make time for Him-There is really no excuse for not taking time to give thanks & pray to Him. He is after all the Reason for Being.

2. Turn off the TV & Take time for Prayer, Praise, the Bible, and spending time with other Christian folk. We need to be strong community for each other.

3.Find an Accountability Partner or Friend. We are ALL tempted by by sin, but by having somebody to turn to we can help avoid the pitfalls of sin & wickedness.

4.Spread the word! For years I was afraid of what people would think if I spoke of my convictions & beliefs. Somehow, through God's hand, those fears seem to be fading! SPEAK OUT about your Love of God. WE AS CHRISTIANS HAVE A DUTY TO GOD TO DO THIS!

5.Stay educated-keep up on news & current events in the Christian community.

MOST OF ALL, MAKE GOD #1!!!!!!!!

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #274 on: September 14, 2007, 06:37:12 AM »
To Whom Much Is Given, Much Will Be Required
9/08/2007   
“Take heed and beware of covetousness, for one’s life does not consist in the abundance of the things he possesses.” (Luke 12:15)
I don’t know about you, but I haven’t been able to get over the fact that Leona Helmsley left $12 million to her dog. Two of her grandchildren received nothing, but her dog got $12 million. Go figure it.

I could not believe how blind Ms. Helmsley was to her own extravagance. There are just too many needs where that kind of money can make a difference, which is why I think the Bible says, “And you shall remember the Lord your God, for it is He who gives you power to get wealth.” (Deuteronomy 8:18)
Dr. Albert Mohler, President of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary pointed to Helmsley’s gift of a perfect example of how we have strayed from the biblical hierarchy that God established between man and animals. Unfortunately, many of us, just like Leona Helmsley, have elevated our pets to the status of children.

As I searched for Scriptures for this week’s column, I ran across the story of the adulterous woman. The Scribes and the Pharisees had brought a woman to Jesus who had been caught in adultery. They reminded him that Mosaic Law commanded that she be stoned. But Jesus told them, “He who is without sin among you, let him throw a stone at her first.” (John 8:7)
I realized as I read that verse that I was throwing stones at others rather than looking at sin in my own life. God has been very good to me, but the real value from those blessings is determined by what I do with them. That’s why Jesus said, “For everyone to whom much is given, from him much will be required; and to whom much has been committed, of him they will ask the more.” (Luke 12:48)
Instead of dwelling on Leona Helmsley, God convicted me to look at how I was using what He had given to me. I was embarrassed by what I saw. Oh, we are poor by Leona Helmsley’s standards, but in my life I see examples of the same unwise use of the resources which God has given us. I know now that I had no right to cast that first stone.

I sure am glad I serve a forgiving God, but I have got to admit that sometimes I wonder what he sees in a sinner like me. There I stood ready to condemn sin in the life of someone else when I was guilty of the same sin. Isn’t it great that our sins are covered by the blood of Jesus and that there are no limits to his forgiveness?

What about you? How are you using the resources with which God has given to you? Listen to what Jesus says: “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it.” (Matthew 16:24-25)posted by Mike Ruffin on 9/08/2007

Man!  I thoroughly enjoyed reading this devotional, GymForLord!  This is such a powerful testimony.  You really spoke to my heart, and I'm sure many others who have read it.  Thank you for posting, and I look forward to more devotionals from you.  Thanks, bro.