Author Topic: The Devotionals Thread  (Read 235179 times)

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
Re: The Devotionals Thread
« Reply #300 on: November 07, 2007, 05:30:49 AM »
Tragic Lot
by John D. Morris, Ph.D.

"Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful" (Psalm 1:1).

One of the most tragic figures in all of Scripture is that of compromising Lot, Abraham's nephew, who renounced the land of promise for the sinful society of Sodom, ultimately to lose everything of importance.

His slide into apostasy, as traced in Genesis chapters 12-19, seems to parallel the progression described in our text as not becoming a godly believer.

Lot is first mentioned as traveling with Abram and Sarai from their homeland to Canaan in obedience to God's command (Genesis 12:4-5; 13:5). A petty problem arises which surely could have been resolved (13:6-10), but Lot chose (v.11) to walk in the counsel of the ungodly. "But the men of Sodom were wicked and sinners before the Lord exceedingly" (v.13).

Lot soon found a home in the city itself, not content to merely herd his flocks in the fertile valley. By standing in the way of sinners, when Sodom was attacked by enemies, he was captured (14:12) and later rescued by Abram (vv.14-16).

Lot's identification with wicked Sodom did not end there, as it should have, for when the city's wickedness was beyond God's forbearance, Lot was found sitting in the seat of the scornful, a leader of the city, sitting in the gates with the town fathers (19:1). Lot was a "just" |or "righteous"| man, "vexed with the filthy conversation of the wicked" (II Peter 2:7), but his actions (Genesis 19:8) and his lack of spiritual influence even within his own family (vv.14-16, 31-38) testify to the horror of such a compromising lifestyle.

May God grant us all the persevering faith of Abraham and not the compromising faith of Lot. JDM

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #301 on: November 09, 2007, 06:01:19 AM »
God's Mission: Adoption
by Max Lucado

When we come to Christ, God not only forgives us, he also adopts us. Through a dramatic series of events, we go from condemned orphans with no hope to adopted children with no fear. Here is how it happens. You come before the judgment seat of God full of rebellion and mistakes. Because of his justice he cannot dismiss your sin, but because of his love he cannot dismiss you. So, in an act which stunned the heavens, he punished himself on the cross for your sins. God's justice and love are equally honored. And you, God's creation, are forgiven. But the story doesn't end with God's forgiveness.

For you have not received a spirit of slavery leading to fear again, but you have received a spirit of adoption as sons by which we cry out "Abba! Father!" The Spirit himself bears witness with our Spirit that we are children of God (Rom. 8:15--16 NASB).

But when the fullness of time came, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman, born under the Law, in order that He might redeem those who were under the Law, that we might receive the adoption as sons (Gal. 4:4--5 NASB).

It would be enough if God just cleansed your name, but he does more. He gives you his name. It would be enough if God just set you free, but he does more. He takes you home. He takes you home to the Great House of God.

Adoptive parents understand this more than anyone. I certainly don't mean to offend any biological parents--I'm one myself. We biological parents know well the earnest longing to have a child. But in many cases our cribs were filled easily. We decided to have a child and a child came. In fact, sometimes the child came with no decision. I've heard of unplanned pregnancies, but I've never heard of an unplanned adoption.

That's why adoptive parents understand God's passion to adopt us. They know what it means to feel an empty space inside. They know what it means to hunt, to set out on a mission, and take responsibility for a child with a spotted past and a dubious future. If anybody understands God's ardor for his children, it's someone who has rescued an orphan from despair, for that is what God has done for us.
God has adopted you. God sought you, found you, signed the papers and took you home.

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #302 on: November 15, 2007, 06:36:10 AM »
Living Waters
by Henry Morris, Ph.D.

"A fountain of gardens, a well of living waters, and streams from Lebanon" (Song of Solomon 4:15).

There are eight verses in the Bible with the phrase "living water": four in the Old Testament, four in the New. All beautifully describe a spiritual truth under the figure of a flowing stream of refreshing water.

The first of these (in our text above) is a portion of the description of the lovely character of a bride as seen by her coming bridegroom, almost certainly symbolic of the Lord and His people. But then, through the prophet, God laments that "my people . . . have forsaken me the fountain of living waters, and hewed them out cisterns, broken cisterns, that can hold no water" (Jeremiah 2:13). "They have forsaken the Lord, the fountain of living waters" (Jeremiah 17:13). One day they shall return, however, and Zechariah prophesies that "living waters shall go out from Jerusalem. . . . And the Lord shall be king over all the earth" (Zechariah 14:8-9).

In the New Testament, the Lord Jesus appropriated this metaphor to Himself as He spoke to a woman of Samaria: "If thou knewest the gift of God . . . He would have given thee living water" (John 4:10; see also v.11). "The water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life" (John 4:14). Later in Jerusalem He cried out to all, saying, "If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink. He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said |referring, no doubt, to the above Old Testament passages|, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water" (John 7:37-38). Then, in the last book of the Bible is found a special promise for those who die for the Lord's sake. "|He| shall lead them unto living fountains of waters: and God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes" (Revelation 7:17).

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #303 on: November 30, 2007, 05:50:41 AM »
He Gave Himself
by Henry Morris, Ph.D.

"Who gave Himself for our sins, that He might deliver us from this present evil world, according to the will of God and our Father" (Galatians 1:4).

There can never be a greater gift than this. Our Lord Jesus Christ not only has given us forgiveness and salvation and all spiritual blessings, He gave Himself! The pure, glorious Son of God gave Himself, substituting Himself in our place to suffer the righteous judgment of God on our sins.

Six times this wonderful affirmation is found in God's Word. The first is in our text, assuring us that, when He gave Himself, He paid the price to deliver us from this present evil world into the eternal world to come.

Then, in the next occurrence, this promise is made intensely personal. Christ "loved me, and gave Himself for me" (Galatians 2:20). The gift Christ gave is more than the world could ever give.

The supremely sacrificial nature of His gift is then emphasized. "Christ also hath loved us, and hath given Himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God" (Ephesians 5:2). The sacrifice has brought us to Himself, for "Christ also loved the church, and gave Himself for it. . . . That He might present it to Himself a glorious church" (Ephesians 5:25,27).

The offering was sufficient to pay for the redemption of all sin, as He "gave Himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time" (I Timothy 2:6). This ransom is not merely to redeem us from the penalty of sin at the judgment, however, but also from the power of sin in our lives, and this is the testimony of the final occurrence of this great declaration. Christ "gave Himself for us, that He might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto Himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works" (Titus 2:14). HMM

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #304 on: December 26, 2007, 01:32:05 PM »
Daily Devotional from the Love Worth Finding Ministry

“And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto Myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.” John 14:3

It’s the day after Christmas. The glow on the tree is just a little dimmer because the anticipation of the day is now past. Ever feel that way about your walk with the Lord? Well, let me give you some good news, my friend. The best is yet to be! That’s right. Christmas Day is past, but Resurrection Day is coming soon, and I don’t mean Easter. I mean the Second Coming of Our Lord is imminently on the horizon. He is coming again. And that’s not just a nice thing; that’s a rock-ribbed truth! Jesus is coming again!

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #305 on: December 27, 2007, 11:41:30 AM »
A MESSAGE OF RESTORATION
by J.M. Farro

"I will repay you for the years the locusts have eaten...and you will praise the name of the Lord your God who has worked wonders for you."  Joel 2:25-26 NIV

These verses in the Bible have special meaning for me because I didn't become serious about my relationship with God until I was almost 40 years old.  There have been many times when I've lamented over the fact that my children weren't raised in a true Christian home from the time they were born.  And I've often regretted that my relationship with my husband and our marriage didn't get off on the right foot because of our lack of devotion to the Lord from the very beginning.  If I allowed myself to dwell on things like these, I could come up with a multitude of regrets.  Thankfully, God gave me these verses as a personal promise that He would work wonders for me by restoring the blessings I forfeited during all those years I was living for myself instead of Him.  And He's been true to His Word.  As I live this new life in Christ daily, I am continually amazed by the marvelous works of restoration that the Lord performs for me and my loved ones on a regular basis.

If you'll ask the Lord to reveal Himself to you as the God of Restoration, He will restore things in your life that you thought were lost forever.  I've seen Him restore broken families and relationships.  I've also seen Him breathe new life into lost dreams and visions.  And I've witnessed His miraculous power working in people's lives to restore their health and finances.  But I think the things He restores that mean the most to me are our faith, joy, peace and HOPE.  The Bible makes it abundantly clear--our God is in the restoration business.  And my life and the lives of many others are living proof.  If you're a child of the King, you don't have to assume that all the losses that come your way are set in stone.  If you'll give the Lord a chance to have the final Word, You'll be amazed at what He can do to make your whole life shiny and new!

Lord, today I believe and receive Your precious promises of restoration.  I ask that You work wonders in my life by transforming my losses into blessings.  Help me to do my part by seeking You daily and putting my trust in You.  Thank You for making my whole life bright and beautiful for Your glory!

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #306 on: January 03, 2008, 11:31:23 AM »
A New Year Without Fear
by the late Dr. Adrian Rogers

God's Word brings us a comforting promise, along with an insightful command as we face a New Year: "Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for He hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee. So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, I will not fear what man shall do unto me" (Hebrews 13:5-6).

You and I can live this coming year without fear if we apply these four incredibly wonderful truths to our lives and root them deep into our hearts.

The Contentment Of His Provision

Contentment is not getting what you want, but it is wanting what you already have. First Timothy 6:6-8 says, "But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. And having food and raiment let us therewith be content." If you know Jesus Christ, you have contentment. If you've got clothes on your back, something to eat, and Jesus Christ in your heart, you're rich!

Do you know why we have fear? Because we think our needs or the needs of someone we love are not going to be met. Or we fear that the things we think are meeting our needs are going to be taken away from us. The deepest need of your heart can only be met in the Lord Jesus Christ.

The Companionship Of His Presence

I don't know what I'm going to face next year. But there's one thing I know, He will never leave me. Are you a child of God? He will never leave you either. Isn't that wonderful!

What's another reason we may fear in the coming year? Because we're afraid we're going to have to face something we don't understand, and we're going to have to face it alone.

When God's Word promises that God will never forsake you, it literally means that He will never abandon you. He will not give up on you. We need to practice the presence of the Lord this coming year. When the devil comes and knocks at you heart's door, you can simply say, "Jesus, please go answer the door."

The Confidence Of His Promise

We're going to zero in on a little phrase in our verses in Hebrews, "He hath said." A promise is no better than the one who makes it. Who says, "I will never leave thee nor forsake thee"? It is the omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent God. This is the confidence of His promise.

In the coming year, when you say, "God, I just don't have the strength." The omnipotent God will answer, "I will never leave thee nor forsake thee." When you say, "God, I'm afraid of what is going to happen." The omnipresent God says, "I will never leave thee nor forsake thee." And when you say, "God, I don't know what to do." The omniscient God will respond, "I will never leave thee nor forsake thee." He himself hath said it.

The Comfort Of His Protection

Hebrews 13:6 promises, "So that we may boldly say, the Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me." Now, put that with verse five which says, “He hath said."

Like I said earlier, I don’t know what you’re going to go through this coming year. But I know you can boldly say, "The Lord is my helper, so I will not fear what man shall do to me." When you find your contentment, companionship, and confidence in Jesus. Then, you'll find your comfort and courage in Jesus.

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
  • I'm too sexy for my shirt!!!
« Reply #307 on: January 11, 2008, 08:10:10 AM »
Daily Devotional from the Love Worth Finding Ministry

“And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto Myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.” John 14:3

It’s the day after Christmas. The glow on the tree is just a little dimmer because the anticipation of the day is now past. Ever feel that way about your walk with the Lord? Well, let me give you some good news, my friend. The best is yet to be! That’s right. Christmas Day is past, but Resurrection Day is coming soon, and I don’t mean Easter. I mean the Second Coming of Our Lord is imminently on the horizon. He is coming again. And that’s not just a nice thing; that’s a rock-ribbed truth! Jesus is coming again!

Yeah, sure he is ::)

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #308 on: January 15, 2008, 09:42:54 AM »
The Wisdom of This World
by Henry Morris, Ph.D.

"Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?" (I Corinthians 1:20).

The scholars and scientists and intellectuals of this world may be held in great esteem by men, but to God, their humanistic reasonings are foolishness. In fact, the evolutionary philosophy which dominates the "wisdom of this world" has led to our modern amoral culture, to racism, to imperialism, to communism, Nazism, to New Age pantheism, humanism, atheism, abortionism, and to all manner of evil and foolish beliefs and practices.

Yet many modern evangelicals feel they must accommodate the wisdom of this world in their own schools and churches, forgetting that "the world by wisdom knew not God" (I Corinthians 1:21). God has warned us not to follow "the wisdom of this world, nor of the princes of this world, that come to nought" (I Corinthians 2:6). Why should we waste precious time in teaching our students or our congregations the wisdom of this world that not only is false and harmful, but is soon coming to nought? The only valid reason at all for doing so is to teach them what’s wrong with it, so that they can "be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh" (I Peter 3:15).

Above all, they must not accommodate the wisdom of this world in their own worldview. God has gravely warned against the evolutionary philosophy of the world (II Peter 3:3-6) in these sobering words: "Seeing ye know these things before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own steadfastness" (II Peter 3:17).

Therefore, "If any man among you seemeth to be wise in this world, let him become a fool, that he may be wise. For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God" (I Corinthians 3:18,19).

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #309 on: January 31, 2008, 07:10:32 AM »
That I May Know Him
by John D. Morris, Ph.D.

"That I may know Him, and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being made conformable unto His death" (Philippians 3:10).

Paul deeply desired to know Christ in an intimate fashion--to experience an even deeper relationship. In our text, he lists three things which will also be known if we know Christ:

The power of His resurrection: The victory of Christ over sin and death exhibited His great power. Paul not only longed for an ultimate resurrected body, "If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead" (v.11), but he longed for the power over sin as well "to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord" (Romans 6:11).

The fellowship of His sufferings: Paul's desire to know Christ was so great he was willing, if need be, to suffer as He suffered. And, indeed, Paul did suffer in many ways (as seen in II Corinthians 11:23-27 and elsewhere). "For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow His steps" (I Peter 2:21). "If so be that we suffer with Him, that we may be also glorified together" (Romans 8:17).

Being made conformable to His death: Paul was willing to die as Christ died and soon did die a martyr's death, beheaded in a Roman prison. But that is not in view here. Rather, he wanted to be like Christ in His death, gaining complete victory over all sin. "For he that is dead is freed from sin" (Romans 6:7).

To know Christ in this way, to be conformed to Him as Paul desired, primarily demands developing the servant's heart and selfless humility that took Christ to the cross (Philippians 2:58) to make it possible for us to know Him.

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #310 on: February 13, 2008, 06:45:23 AM »
I'm Happy for You
February 13, 2008
notreligion.com

Key Passage: Luke 1:57-66

Topic: Relationships; Love; Christian Living

And her neighbors and relatives heard that the Lord had shown great mercy to her, and they rejoiced with her. (Luke 1:58, ESV)

OK, let's get real for a second. Have you ever been in a situation where you got a little...um...irritated or disgruntled at someone else's happiness? That's hard to admit, huh?

But, honestly, we've all dealt with this at some point. We have this thing in us that keeps us from experiencing true, unselfish joy for someone else. Call it selfishness, call it self-centeredness, call it ego--whatever, it's very "me-focused."

For example, let's say you audition for a play and someone else gets the role you wanted. Now, if you're truly selfless, you'd go, "Congratulations!" and mean it. But if you're like most people, you’d say, "Congratulations!" but mean, "It should have been me!"

Look at today's verse--it's such a great picture of how God intends for us to love people. Here's Elizabeth, a childless old woman now having her first baby. And everyone rejoiced with her! 

There may have been neighbor women or family members who were also struggling with infertility, hoping for a child of their own. But the Bible says everyone rejoiced. The people saw what God did for Elizabeth and they were happy. They celebrated the gift given her.

When God does something cool for someone else, it can be difficult if He's not done the same for you. If He's given someone money, or a great job, provided a husband or a wife, a baby, or even just a good friend, and you're wishing for the same, it's hard to rejoice with the "lucky recipient."

Think about it: Do you need to check your attitude toward anyone?

Now that we've been honest here, is there any internal struggle you need to deal with? Any rejoicing that needs to happen--for someone else? How can you celebrate someone else's gift today?

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #311 on: February 21, 2008, 04:51:54 AM »
FINAL PROMISE
by Charles R. Swindoll
February 21, 2008 

Now the Israelites settled in Egypt in the region of Goshen. They acquired property there and were fruitful and increased greatly in number.  Jacob lived in Egypt seventeen years, and the years of his life were a hundred and forty-seven. When the time drew near for Israel to die, he called for his son Joseph and said to him, "If I have found favor in your eyes, put your hand under my thigh and promise that you will show me kindness and faithfulness. Do not bury me in Egypt, but when I rest with my fathers, carry me out of Egypt and bury me where they are buried."

"I will do as you say," he said.

"Swear to me," he said. Then Joseph swore to him, and Israel worshiped as he leaned on the top of his staff.  Genesis 47:27-31

"Swear to me, Joseph---promise me this," Jacob said. "Place your hand under my thigh and swear." Making promises to the dying is nothing unusual. That is still done today. Frequently I have heard spouses or children tell of promises they made to a dying mate or a parent. But what about this strange gesture of placing one's hand under the thigh of another? What's that all about?

Brown, Driver, and Briggs, old but still reputable authorities on the Hebrew text, suggest that this sealing of the promise was done by placing the hand beneath the lower back or beneath the buttocks. Joseph promised to do as his father asked, and he also indicated this symbolically by placing his hand under Jacob. It was an oath-taking posture common at that time.

"Promise me before our God, Joseph, that you will bury me back in my father's land. Promise to bury me over there in Canaan, the land of our people, not here in Egypt. God brought us to Egypt so we could survive the famine, but I want to be buried in the land of our forefathers, along with Abraham and Isaac and Leah. Take me back there. Don't bury me in Egypt. Swear before God that will not happen." And Joseph swore to keep this promise to his father.

On Jacob's tombstone, Joseph could have placed the words: "He worshiped." Years earlier, of course, "He deceived" might have seemed more appropriate, but now that Jacob was almost a century-and-a-half old, he had come a long way with God. At the end of his life, one of his final acts was to worship the God he had both wrestled with and served. In his old age he urged Joseph to remember that Canaan---not Egypt---was the Promised Land, so he made his son promise to make his final grave there.

Reprinted by permission. Day by Day, Charles Swindoll, July 2005, Thomas Nelson, inc., Nashville, Tennessee. All rights reserved. Purchase "Day by Day" here.

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #312 on: February 27, 2008, 06:42:21 AM »
Wednesday, February 27, 2008

A Work in Progress

“He has made everything beautiful in its time.  Also He has put eternity in their hearts, except that no one can find out the work that God does from beginning to end.” (Ecclesiastes 3:11)

I am an artist.  I like to draw and design.  Sometimes when I am sketching, someone will come along, look over my shoulder, and see only a certain shape or form.  They only see what is visible for the time being.  But I am still working.

“What is it going to be?” the person asks.

“Just wait.”

“I think you should do it this way. . . .”

“Just let me do it,” I say.  “Why don’t you let me alone until I’m finished, and then I will gladly show it to you.”

Every artist loves to display his work.  But when I am working on my art, I know it is a work in progress.  When I am done, then I am happy to show it to others.

You, too, are a work in progress.  God is doing a work in your life.  When it is done, He will show you.  If it is not done yet, be patient.  God sees the end from the beginning.  We can’t see what it is, but God can.  That is important to remember.

As God told the exiled nation of Israel, “For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope” (Jeremiah 29:11).

For Israel, it meant they would be in Babylon for a while, but ultimately, God would get them out.  For us, what it means specifically to us on a day-to-day basis, time will tell.  Whatever it is, it is good, because God is in control of it.

Copyright © 2008 by Harvest Ministries.  All rights reserved.  Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New King James Version, copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #313 on: February 28, 2008, 04:16:03 AM »

Avoiding Christian Cliques

Key Passage: Luke 4:42-44
Topic: Jesus; Gospel; Relationships

But he said to them, "I must preach the Knowledge Basegood news of the kingdom of God ! to the other towns as well; for I was sent for this purpose." (Luke 4:43, ESV)

Do you have a "core" group of friends? Do you ever refer to close-knit groups of people as "cliques"? Those groups that are always together? That doesn't happen in Christianity, does it? 

Jesus was a great spiritual leader; that goes without saying. And yes, He had a group of twelve disciples that He hung out with. And people followed Jesus everywhere.

But Jesus wasn't afraid to branch out. He ate with crooked tax collectors like Zacchaeus (Luke 19). Jesus kept His disciples close for instruction and accountability, but they weren't the only people he interacted with.

If you're leading people in any way, don't confine yourself to only those people. If your friends are Christians, beware of forming a "clique". Think like Jesus did, when He said to the Pharisees, "Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick" (Luke 5:31, ESV). 

If Jesus had spoken only with his disciples and never instructed them to branch out, Christianity could have died right then and there. 

If your friends try to keep you from leaving (Luke 4:42), explain that you're not leaving them or your friendship behind. You are simply needed in other towns or places (Luke 4:43), as Jesus was. Tell them that they may be needed by others too. 

And always remember that there is one ultimate friend: Jesus. He's the greatest friend we'll ever have, and we can always meet in His name and fellowship together, renewing our strength and supporting one another.

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #314 on: March 03, 2008, 08:00:36 AM »
FLAWLESSLY FAITHFUL
from "The Active Word" ministries with Pastor Bob Coy

"Therefore know that the LORD your God, He is God, the faithful God who keeps covenant and mercy for a thousand generations with those who love Him . . . -Deuteronomy 7:9 (NKJV)

Life teaches us that a promise is only as good as the character of the one who gives it. It doesn't matter how great or grandiose the promise might be. If it's given by someone who doesn't have a track record of faithfully following through on his or her word, then it's not worth getting excited about.

But this truth cuts both ways. A promise made by someone with a positive track record deserves a degree of excitement. That's because their faithful character has been proven to back up their commitments, and if they promise something, there is a very good chance of it actually happening.

Now let's pull this principle into the realm of God's promises towards us. What conclusions can we draw about His promises based on His character? If there's one truth displayed and declared for us in Scripture, it's that God, our God, is flawlessly faithful. He has never once failed to follow through on a promise which He has given. In fact, the Bible is a succession of stories and testimonies to God's great faithfulness.

From the days of Adam, Noah, and Abraham to the times of Gideon, David, and Jeremiah-and from the incredible incarnation of Jesus to the miraculous manifestation of the Holy Spirit-this single truth is seen from a myriad of different angles: God faithfully performs what He promises.

Our understanding of God's promises must be anchored in the awareness and conviction of His faithfulness. We must remember that they are the one thing in this world worth trusting because they're backed by something outside our fallen condition: God's flawless character.

"Blessed be the LORD. . . . There has not failed one word of all His good promise . . ." (1 Kings 8:56 NKJV)

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #315 on: March 07, 2008, 08:05:56 AM »
God Has No Limitations
by Max Lucado (maxlucado.com)
Friday, March 07, 2008

“Where can I go to get away from your Spirit?”Psalm 139:7

You and I are governed. The weather determines what we wear. The terrain tells us how to travel. Gravity dictates our speed, and health determines our strength. We may challenge these forces and alter them slightly, but we never remove them.

God—our Shepherd—doesn’t check the weather; he makes it. He doesn’t defy gravity; he created it. He isn’t affected by health; he has no body. Jesus said, “God is spirit” (John 4:24). Since he has no body, he has no limitations—equally active in Cambodia as he is in Connecticut.

“Where can I go to get away from your Spirit?” asked David. “Where can I run from you? If I go up to the heavens, you are there. If I lie down in the grave, you are there” (Psalm 139:7-8)

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #316 on: March 28, 2008, 05:48:15 AM »
No Fish
March 28, 2008
Topic: Service/Servanthood; Obedience/Discipleship
notreligion.com

But he [Jesus] said to them, "You give them something to eat." (Luke 9:13, ESV) 

"What did He say?" This seems to be the disciples' reaction when Jesus tells them to take care of food for five thousand people.

The amazing thing is, Jesus had just called these men together and given them the authority and instruction for spreading the Word of God. But the minute something big comes up, they're telling Jesus to send everybody home.

Jesus, however, had the situation under control. He doesn't get up and say, "Okay, people, get out of here, there's nothing to eat." 

No, He'd preached all day to a crowd that followed Him when He'd tried to be alone. But He didn't turn them away; He took care of their spiritual needs. Now it was time to take care of their physical needs.

Do you ever focus on things like the disciples did--on a lack of something? They had very little food and no money to get more, so they immediately thought it was impossible!

But Jesus wasn't concerned with what they didn't have. He knew what they did have--a blessing from God just waiting to be called on.

God isn't limited by how little fish and bread you have to serve; He's only limited to how much faith you have in His ability to multiply what you do have to Knowledge Baseserve Him.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #317 on: March 29, 2008, 05:38:57 AM »
On Seeking The Approval of Others

"If you really need to be understood and appreciated by others, it is best to choose carefully the people whose respect you wish to gain. You will say, ‘Oh, we know that,’ but are you really sure? Are you certain that, in your desire to draw the approval and applause of the crowd, you never transgress the laws of goodness and justice?

When you participate in criticizing and ridiculing others, what are you doing? Deep down, you are well aware the criticism and ridicule are often exaggerated, but you have to put your oar in, just to please others, to make them laugh. And how many artists and even politicians make compromises for the sake of success!

They’re not bothered about whether they’re appreciated by the wise; that’s of no interest, there are so few of them! They would only have a very small audience or very few votes at elections. But is it really worth making compromises for this kind of success?"

Omraam Mikhaël Aïvanhov
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #318 on: March 29, 2008, 08:10:05 PM »
On The Divine Seeds of Life

"Alchemists say that, in order to make gold, you must start with at least one atom of gold, as a seed, for nothing in nature can be produced without a seed. The alchemical process is therefore similar to the growth or reproduction of a seed. A grain of wheat begins by producing one ear of wheat, and then one day there’s a whole field! In the same way, for those who know the secret, a grain of gold can ‘multiply’ itself an infinite amount of times. We, too, possess this grain of gold, the divine seed given to us by the Creator. Now that he has given it to us, nothing and no one is able to take it away from us or make us lose it. But it’s up to us to become aware that this seed exists, to awaken it and bring it to life, until it finally develops into a tree… a temple… the New Jerusalem… the Christ Child… So many images and symbols have been used to interpret this reality! All human beings possess this seed, and once they know where and how to look for it so they can work with it, the words ‘life’ and ‘resurrection’ will really mean something to them."

Omraam Mikhaël Aïvanhov
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #319 on: April 02, 2008, 09:05:06 PM »
On Achieving Peace

"Just as health is the result of harmony between the different parts of our physical organism, peace is the result of harmony between the different principles of our psychic organism: spirit, soul, intellect, heart and will. If it is so difficult to obtain peace, it is precisely because these principles are rarely in accord. A person may have wise, lucid thoughts, but if passionate feelings steal into his heart they will make him do foolish things. Or perhaps he is inspired by the best of desires but his will is paralysed. How can he find peace in the midst of all these contradictions?

You will never know what peace is, and you will have even less chance of achieving it, if you do not understand it as being a result, a consequence. Yes, peace is primarily a state of consciousness, one in which all the physical and psychic functions and activities of a human being are in perfect balance and harmony."

Omraam Mikhaël Aïvanhov
w

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #320 on: April 03, 2008, 10:24:07 AM »
The Most Important Fact of All History
March 18, 2008
By Brent Riggs
seriousfaith.com

1 Corinthians 15:14 And if Christ is not risen, then our preaching is empty and your faith is also empty. (NKJV)

The resurrection of Jesus Christ is the single most important event and fact of all of human creation and history. It has neither equal nor competitor in scope or consequence.

Most people would take that as strictly religious comment but it is not. This proclamation is true for all mankind in all times and in all ways. It has no limitation, constraints or discrimination attached to it.

* The effects of the resurrection saturate everything, physical and spiritual, the entire universe and every inhabitant.

* If the resurrection is not true, there is no hope for salvation either physically or for this broken universe, or spiritually for broken man.

* If the resurrection is not true, the Bible is not true and our faith is not true.

* If the resurrection is not true, then the existence of the God of the Bible is completely untrue, for His entire plan for the universe and              humankind sits on the fulcrum of the resurrection.     

This week, the traditional world of Christianity celebrates a holiday known as Easter. This holiday is not in Scripture and arguably has its roots in pagan culture. However, it is still a time when very Biblical events are given focus in a society that ignores them for the most part. So it is a time that prudent and shrewd ambassadors for Christ will still utilize to proclaim His life, His death, and His resurrection.

For 2000 years man has sought to discredit the resurrection in ways that range from persuasive to absurd, from logical to idiotic. It is hard to say just how educated each individual Christian needs to be concerning the most common arguments against the resurrection, but it is certainly not a stretch to say that Christians should be much more educated about it than they currently are. The average Christian man knows a whole lot more about the NFL than he does the proofs for the resurrection of his Savior. The average Christian woman is a whole lot more savvy about pop culture and fashion than they are concerning the evidence surrounding the resurrection.

It is well beyond the scope of a lesson from me or even a series of lessons to do more than touch on some basics so I would encourage you to engage in some study on their own concerning this most important topic. There could be no greater use of your study time.

One of the first considerations for the resurrection is to believe that Jesus Christ was indeed dead. His body had expired and his spirit had passed from the flesh. All throughout history this fact has been attacked. There have been theories that he merely fainted or passed out and was revived in the tomb. There are theories that he was never in the tomb, that he was secreted away by the disciples. There have been theories that it wasn't his body or that it WAS his body, but he never rose to life.

The common denominator is this: it could NOT have been Christ, dead in the tomb and alive again, because that would mean the Bible is true, and the resurrection occurred. Of course we KNOW that couldn't have happened, so we must brainstorm all of the ways it could have APPEARED to happen. There MUST be an explanation, because it goes without saying that Jesus rising from the dead could not have happened.

What never crosses the mind of the true skeptic is the obvious alternative: maybe it did happen. Since that alternative is never even considered, the silly search for silly theories continues on its silly way. The skeptic never even considers the obvious "other choice".

Jesus lived. He lived a perfect life. Then we killed Him. Dead. His body was dead. Three days later that body was gloriously transformed and rose to life, scars and all. This single fact is the reason why this sin-cursed earth, this fractured universe, our disease-racked bodies and our hellbound souls can be rescued, redeemed, restored, and renewed.

Believe this fact, and have hope. Ignore this fact and miss out on life, both now and for all eternity.

1 Corinthians 15:12-19 Now if Christ is preached that He has been raised from the dead, how do some among you say that there is no resurrection of the dead? But if there is no resurrection of the dead, then Christ is not risen. And if Christ is not risen, then our preaching is empty and your faith is also empty. Yes, and we are found false witnesses of God, because we have testified of God that He raised up Christ, whom He did not raise up—if in fact the dead do not rise. For if the dead do not rise, then Christ is not risen. And if Christ is not risen, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins! Then also those who have fallen asleep in Christ have perished. If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men the most pitiable. (NKJV)

Lord God, help us to not only believe in the resurrection of your dear Son, but to know about it too and to be able to defend our faith to a skeptical world. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

James 1:22 - But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. (NKJV)

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #321 on: April 06, 2008, 12:18:18 AM »
On Dreams and Dreaming

"Some people believe the works of mystics or poets are nothing but fantasies. But no, these mystics and poets have simply entered another dimension of reality. We can call this other dimension a ‘dream’, so long as we don’t confuse it with mere wanderings of the imagination or those adventures we experience during sleep.

Initiatic Science considers dreams to be the seed of all reality. The material, physical world is only the crystallization of a dream, and even if the world disappeared the dream would remain because it alone is real: it is the dream that brings all sentient forms into existence. Every day, make a conscious effort to open the doors to this world of dreams. In it you will find all the essential elements you need to rebuild your life and give it meaning. And then even your face will reflect something of this world of light, beauty and unfailing joy. That is what true life is. "

Omraam Mikhaël Aïvanhov
w

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #322 on: April 08, 2008, 07:52:32 AM »
Judging One Another
by Henry Morris, Ph.D.

"There is one lawgiver, who is able to save and to destroy: who art thou that judgest another?" (James 4:12)

Christians commit two types of sins related to criticism. One is that of criticizing others; the other is taking offense when they criticize us. Criticism is, in reality, judging, and as our text brings out, none of us are really qualified to judge others. Only God is qualified to judge. "Let us not therefore judge one another any more" (Romans 14:13).

Criticism almost inevitably generates resentment, quarreling, and enmity. It actually harms the character and testimony of the critic as much as that of the recipient. Even unspoken criticism is harmful. Love "seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil" (1 Corinthians 13:5).

This does not mean that Christians should condone doctrinal error or moral evil when circumstances indicate clear conflict with Scripture. "Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment" (John 7:24).

Now, while it is wrong for a Christian to criticize others, it is often true that others criticize us. What should we do then? The answer is hard, but here it is: "For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps: . . . Who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not; but committed himself to him that judgeth righteously" (1 Peter 2:21, 23). There is a possibility that the criticism may be valid and, if so, we should be thankful and profit from it, difficult as this might be. Even if false and hurtful, however, it can still be helpful, for it has been granted to us by Christ, "not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for his sake" (Philippians 1:29). "Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you," He said, "and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake. . . . for great is your reward in heaven" (Matthew 5:11, 12).

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #323 on: April 09, 2008, 01:43:02 AM »

On True Love

"True love is a manifestation of God himself, of his immensity and all-powerfulness. If you wish to attain this love, this force and vibration that commands matter, you must try to exchange only particles of light with the one you love. When two people feel a sublime love for one another, when they love each other for their soul and spirit, it takes only a look to fill them with wonder and ecstasy. Initiatic Science predicts that in the distant future, when a man and woman wish to bring a child into the world, they will simply be in one another’s arms and will look at each other as though they were giving each other heaven.

Their thoughts will be so concentrated, their love so intense, that a spirit will soon afterwards arrive to incarnate with them: its body will be made of the pure luminous particles given by its parents through their emanations alone. Of course, we are speaking of a far distant future. But such evolution is part of the plan of cosmic Intelligence."

Omraam Mikhaël Aïvanhov

----------------------------------------------------------------

This is rather interesting in what it suggests or implies about the possibility of "virgin birth"
w

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #324 on: April 09, 2008, 08:07:52 AM »

On True Love

"True love is a manifestation of God himself, of his immensity and all-powerfulness. If you wish to attain this love, this force and vibration that commands matter, you must try to exchange only particles of light with the one you love. When two people feel a sublime love for one another, when they love each other for their soul and spirit, it takes only a look to fill them with wonder and ecstasy. Initiatic Science predicts that in the distant future, when a man and woman wish to bring a child into the world, they will simply be in one another’s arms and will look at each other as though they were giving each other heaven.

Their thoughts will be so concentrated, their love so intense, that a spirit will soon afterwards arrive to incarnate with them: its body will be made of the pure luminous particles given by its parents through their emanations alone. Of course, we are speaking of a far distant future. But such evolution is part of the plan of cosmic Intelligence."

Omraam Mikhaël Aïvanhov

----------------------------------------------------------------

This is rather interesting in what it suggests or implies about the possibility of "virgin birth"

Chemical Interactions....nothing more.
I hate the State.