Author Topic: The Devotionals Thread  (Read 234696 times)

fitt@40

• Getbig II
Re: The Devotionals Thread
« Reply #375 on: April 29, 2009, 08:32:40 PM »
On Dark Entities

How do dark entities set about harming humans? They urge them to make mistakes, for each mistake is an open door giving the entities the right to go in and torment them. If people resist, if they don’t make mistakes, the entities are powerless. This is why the devil – we’ll say ‘the devil’ for simplicity’s sake – only has the powers you give him. If you don’t want to deal with him, don’t let him in. He will not force you, he just makes suggestions – this is why he’s called the ‘tempter’ – and you are the one who says ‘yes’.

Most people imagine their disquiet, their distress and their anxieties have come suddenly, just like that, all at once. No, they prepared for them, they opened the door to them, they invited them in. How? By means of their desires, thoughts and lower feelings, by means of certain weaknesses and certain transgressions. At that very moment, the devil found the door open, came in and began his campaign of destruction.

From where did you get this?  I once read a book by Dr. Rebecca Brown that spoke of "opening doors."  The book was He Came to Set the Captives Free.   Many people open doors and are totally unaware of what has happened. 

There is a lot of truth and knowledge to the words you posted.  However, the phrase, "we’ll say ‘the devil’ for simplicity’s sake" gives me pause.  Please explain the intent of this statement. 

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #376 on: May 05, 2009, 06:25:44 PM »
From where did you get this?  I once read a book by Dr. Rebecca Brown that spoke of "opening doors."  The book was He Came to Set the Captives Free.   Many people open doors and are totally unaware of what has happened. 

There is a lot of truth and knowledge to the words you posted.  However, the phrase, "we’ll say ‘the devil’ for simplicity’s sake" gives me pause.  Please explain the intent of this statement. 

I thought it was pretty simple and self-explanatory.

If you leave your front door open, ...anything or anyone can walk through.
It could be a concerned neighbour, looking to check up on you... to make sure you haven't fallen and can't get up,
...or it could be a malevolent soul seeking to harm you, or a thief looking to rob you in the night.
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #377 on: May 22, 2009, 03:25:08 PM »
On Altruism

Most people spend their time providing for their day-to-day life, starting a family, enjoying their leisure time, and so on. From time to time, of course, they do something for society, but in general they take care of their own affairs and work for themselves. And yet, whether they like it or not, they live in a community, and if troubles erupt in this community, their personal possessions, even their life, may no longer be safe. To focus on one’s own interests, on one’s own family and possessions, is not therefore the best way to safeguard them, since there is always the risk that events will take place in society to sweep away everything in their path. History provides us with numerous examples. Let’s be clear about this: individualism is not a worthwhile solution for anyone. The only worthwhile solution is for each person to endeavour to do something to improve collective life. Provided that happens, then, yes, each individual will be safe.
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #378 on: May 27, 2009, 02:43:47 AM »
On The Infinite Wonder & Abundance of Nature

Flowers, trees, oceans, even stones… every­thing in nature breathes. You’ll say, ‘But I can’t imagine the breathing process existing outside of the lungs!’ Why not? Life doesn’t necessarily need the same organs for the same functions to be fulfilled. Look at a tree: it has no lungs, stomach, liver or intestines, and yet it breathes, it takes in food, it assimilates, eliminates and reproduces. And it often lives longer than humans! It withstands bad weather; it gives fragrant flowers and fruits. Whereas, with all their abilities, humans are so fragile, the slightest thing can annihilate them.

Most people have the wrong ideas about nature. As far as they are concerned, to be really alive and intelligent means having to be made like them. But nature couldn’t care less about their opinions and their systems. For nature, it’s not necessary to have lungs to breathe or a brain to be intelligent. It has created such a multitude of life forms, there will be no end to our discoveries.
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #379 on: May 28, 2009, 06:37:47 PM »
On Rebellion Within Your Own Kingdom

How many monarchs, throughout the course of history, have been overthrown by the people, because they were not up to the task?!

They thought they could get away with every injustice and cruelty, but meanwhile others around them were in revolt, covertly preparing their downfall.

Everyone knows this, but how many have understood that these same rebellions and reversals of fortune also take place in their own inner life? Within themselves, human beings (the kings) will give way to laziness or debauchery and all kinds of excess. Some time later, hostile forces seize them, throw them into a dungeon and govern in their place; in other words, they become victims of illness, accidents and psychological problems, until such time as they understand they have a great deal to do to regain their place at the head of their kingdom.
w

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #380 on: May 29, 2009, 05:05:57 AM »
Don't Be A Cheetah
This devotional was written by Jim Liebelt

...let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. —Hebrews 12:1

A PBS webpage noted the following about the cheetah:

“Running as fast as 70 miles per hour over short distances, the cheetah is the fastest mammal on Earth. Swiftly rushing to make its kill, the cheetah uses its great speed to run down prey after stalking it closely. Yet in spite of its quickness, some victims get away. A fast starter, the cheetah lacks stamina and tires quickly, able only to maintain top speed for a few hundred yards.”

“...a fast starter, the cheetah lacks stamina and tires quickly...” The description sounds like some Christ-followers I’ve known, myself included. If following Christ was like a highway, I believe the shoulders of that highway would be littered with people who had started out well, but quickly broke down along the journey. In my own early days of ministry involvement, I think I was cheetah-like; a fast starter with lots of energy. I thought that charisma and drive alone would be enough to overcome the Enemy. Like many others, I learned that these things only carry you so far before the gas tanks of ministry and personal spiritual growth run dry.

The journey of the Christ-follower has been compared to a marathon rather than a sprint—and I believe that the same comparison applies to all who serve in ministry—from the new ministry volunteer to the professional clergy. In the long run, stamina, perseverance and faithfulness produce more effective ministry than high-energy ministry that can’t be maintained for long. So, remember when it comes to serving Christ, don’t be a cheetah!

How does one keep the gas tank full to be effective on the long journey of the Christian life? The perseverance needed only comes through daily commitment, obedience and communion with Christ. He is the source of our strength and our only hope to provide the power needed to serve Him with effectiveness day in and day out.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #381 on: May 29, 2009, 06:49:36 PM »

How does one keep the gas tank full to be effective on the long journey...

Surely you don't want me to answer that do you?  ;D
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #382 on: May 29, 2009, 06:53:35 PM »
On Unleashing the Dogs of War

Why must we reflect deeply before we take action? Because action releases forces, and once these forces are unleashed they do not stop half-way but keep going right to the end. Imagine you are in the mountains, and an enormous rock just above you is about to tumble down the slope: it’s up to you whether you let it be or hasten its fall. If you set it in motion, it is then impossible to stop it: it will crush you and many others with you. And if you opened the lock gates on a canal, try stopping the water then!

You are always in control of whether or not to act, but as soon as you decide to act, the forces you set free are out of your hands. When agitators start a riot, they very quickly lose control of it. This is why it is said, ‘Who sows the wind reaps the storm’, and the storm can carry away the very person who provoked it. Before we give the signal for war by what we say or how we look at someone or by what we write in a letter, we have every power, but then it’s too late, and we become mere onlookers, and often even victims.
w

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #383 on: June 01, 2009, 06:21:53 PM »
You Are a Daily Gospel to the World
This devotional was written by Jim Burns

I have been crucified with Christ, and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
—Galatians 2:20

Your life is not your own; you were bought with a price—the high price and sacrifice of Jesus on the cross at Calvary. Although you may look the same and even have the same personality and mannerisms, on the inside you become a new person when Jesus Christ enters your life. You become a representative of your Lord wherever you go.

A little poem has always helped me understand that my new life in Christ is a daily gospel to the world. I am saying, as the Apostle Paul said, "I have been crucified with Christ, and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loves me and gave himself for me."

Here's the poem:

You are writing a gospel,
A chapter each day,
By deeds that you do,
By words that you say.
Men read what you write,
Whether faithless or true,
Say, what is the gospel according to you?

-- Author unknown

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #384 on: June 02, 2009, 07:23:50 PM »
On Social Dynamics

Although all human beings are filled with the need to love and get on well with others, at the slightest annoyance and sense of injustice they give way to hate and vengeance. But if one day they find the right conditions and meet someone able to be an example to them and show them the way, they then receive insights that will lead them, little by little, to an understanding of how they should behave. This also shows that the way individuals succeed in resolving their own negativity is not just a matter for themselves; it also concerns all those around them whom they influence by their behaviour.

Even in the worst conditions, you must never stop working on yourself. And if certain people want to harm you, instead of getting even with them directly, show them by your attitude they haven’t succeeded in destroying you; on the contrary, due to them you have grown and become stronger; you are even more alive. That is the best revenge.
w

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #385 on: June 02, 2009, 09:44:20 PM »
God's Love
by Jim Burns

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. —John 3:16

Martin Luther once called John 3:16, "The heart of the Bible—the Gospel in miniature." This verse is one of the most famous verses in all of Scripture. It condenses the deep and marvelous truths of our faith into these incredible words:

God —The greatest lover   
so loved —The greatest degree
the world —The greatest number
that he gave —The greatest act
his one and only Son —The greatest gift
that whoever —The greatest invitation
believes —The greatest simplicity
in him —The greatest person
shall not perish —The greatest deliverance
but have —The greatest certainty
eternal life. —The greatest possession

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #386 on: June 07, 2009, 06:54:44 PM »
On The Pursuit of The Divine

Even mystics have admitted that the search for God, for the absolute, is a long, disappointing one and that they have felt they were groping in the dark. And it’s true, sometimes it seems as if you are struggling in the void, but that’s only how it seems, and you shouldn’t become discouraged.

I’ll give you an example. A man digs a well so he can have water to quench his thirst. He doesn’t know how deep he will have to dig to find it, and this uncertainty could leave him discouraged. But he has an image, a likeness, of this water in his head, heart and soul. He lives with the idea, the thought, the hope, of obtaining this water, and even if the water is not yet flowing from a physical spring, at least it is flowing within him. In the same way, those who look for God may seem to find nothing, and yet they are working with a very powerful reality that lives inside them. They can say to themselves, ‘I’ve not really found God yet, of course, but he’s manifesting through my thoughts, feelings and wishes.’ And this hope, this faith is, in itself, God.
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #387 on: July 11, 2009, 12:33:53 AM »
On Chastity

Chastity, sexual continence, must remain a personal decision. For those capable of putting it into practice, it’s very good, but they should not concern themselves with what others do, they should leave them alone! It is even dangerous for them if they adopt a puritanical attitude, it proves their purity is nothing but repression, and such an attitude can lead to them becoming very unbalanced; there have been many such cases throughout history. When people are forever concerning themselves with the impurity of others, it’s quite simply that they are ill, mentally ill.

So learn to be more broad-minded: if the Lord is silent, why should you interfere? The Lord is indulgent and generous, why are you so narrow-minded? Be indulgent and generous, too, and work on yourself. There’s nothing to stop you from becoming a model of purity and sanctity, but leave others alone, do not interfere in their business. If, one day, they are called to account for their actions, it will be to heaven and not to you.
w

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #388 on: July 13, 2009, 06:47:27 AM »
To The Point

"You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness about me" (John 5:39, ESV).

Is Jesus really the Son of God?

In this passage, Jesus told the Jews about the witnesses that testify He is God's Son: the testimony of John the Baptist, the testimony of God the Father, and the testimony of His own miracles, like feeding 5,000 people, raising Jairus' daughter from the dead, healing the blind man and more.

Then Jesus emphasized, "The Scriptures point to Me!" Ever read an Old Testament scripture and then find it fulfilled in the New Testament? For example, Isaiah prophesies that a virgin will give birth to the Messiah (Isaiah 7:14).

In the New Testament, Matthew 1:18 and 22-23, shows us this prophecy is fulfilled: "Now the birth of Jesus Christ took place in this way. When his mother Mary had been betrothed to Joseph, before they came together she was found to be with child from the Holy Spirit...All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had spoken by the prophet: 'Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and they shall call his name Immanuel'" (ESV).

Not only do the Scriptures prophesy Jesus' birth, they also predict His death. Isaiah 53:12 speaks of a future Savior in these words, "Therefore I will divide him a portion with the many, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong, because he poured out his soul to death...yet he bore the sin of many, and makes intercession for the transgressors" (ESV).

And Romans 5:6 gives us the fulfillment: "For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly" (ESV).

When we read the Bible, we discover the Scriptures truly point to Jesus. He is who He says He is. And following His resurrection, He sent one more witness for us. He sent the Holy Spirit to live in us. We have the witness of His presence as part of our daily lives.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #389 on: July 14, 2009, 05:57:38 PM »
On The Necessity For Empathy

Until humans learn to empathize with each other’s situations, they will be guilty of the same errors of judgement, the same tactlessness, the same cruelties and injustices.

When you don’t know the conditions of people’s lives, it would be better to put yourself in their shoes for at least a few minutes before you judge or accuse them: often, you’ll realize that if you were in their place you’d be ten times worse. Do this exercise for just a few minutes, and you will begin to acquire qualities of nobleness, patience, tolerance and gentleness. Do this exercise especially with people you dislike and can barely stand. And then you will see how, gradually, you will be better able to understand their behaviour, and you will even begin to love them
w

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #390 on: July 17, 2009, 04:57:54 AM »
No Offense
Key Passage: John 6:60-71
Topic: Heaven; Salvation; Jesus
notreligion.com

Simon Peter answered him, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life" (John 6:68, ESV).

Jesus didn't beat around the bush. When it came to communicating the truth, He was direct and to the point. And sometimes that bothered people.

In today's passage, several of Jesus' followers were offended by Him so they left. They got mad, picked up their toys and went home. Jesus told them things they either didn't want to hear or didn't understand, so they deserted Him.

What was so controversial? Well, Jesus basically said, "Look, you want to go to heaven? You want to live forever? Great. But human effort accomplishes nothing. You can't get yourself to heaven--you can only go through me."

To some people, those words are offensive. To those who believe you can work your way to heaven, or that how you live now determines where you go after death, Jesus' words are hard to swallow.

Jesus told his followers, "Look, there's only one thing you can do for eternal life--and that's believe in Me." Well, the truth is, some of them didn't believe. Not really. They may have thought Jesus was a smart guy, or very compassionate, or at the very least, intriguing. But they didn't see Him as the Son of God, the One who held the keys to heaven in His hands.

But look at what Peter said. He understood who Jesus was. "You have the words of eternal life," Peter declared.

So, what do you believe about Jesus? Are you ready to admit that He's the only One who has the authority to give eternal life? Or are you offended that you can't earn it yourself?

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #391 on: July 26, 2009, 09:59:36 PM »
On The Pursuit of True Freedom

Taking the path to the heights is the only way to win our freedom. And taking the path to the heights means trying to accomplish the will of God at every moment of the day. Freedom does not exist without submission to God, to the One called ‘the Almighty’ in the Psalms, who is Power, Wisdom and Love.

By separating themselves from the Creator, consciously or unconsciously, humans believe they become free: in fact they become the slaves of lower entities that have an interest in seducing and then controlling them, like the serpent that caused Adam and Eve to leave paradise. For what Genesis calls ‘the serpent’ is a symbolic expression used to designate a whole category of malevolent beings that had rebelled against God and then wanted to drag human beings into their rebellion. Now, in order to regain our freedom, we must link ourselves to those luminous entities that remained faithful to the Lord: they will help us to resume our path towards the summits.
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #392 on: August 21, 2009, 08:41:29 PM »
On Pessimists & Doomsayers

As they are convinced human beings are wicked and the world is going from bad to worse, pessimists are content to deal with their own affairs without worrying about other people. And how satisfied they are when the difficulties or misfortune they have predicted actually occur! So pessimism is the cause of selfishness, unkindness even, but also laziness. Yes, as they are convinced there’s nothing anyone can do to improve the situation, pessimists become lazy… except for when they are explaining all the good reasons there are for being pessimistic!

There are so many books written by people needing to reiterate that the world is doomed, existence is absurd, and nothing is worth any trouble! But, heavens above, why even make the effort to speak or write if good can never win, if there’s no meaning to anything, and nothing’s worth any trouble? It would be more logical to remain silent. Yes, what is the unhealthy need that makes these people cast black clouds over the heart and mind of all those who will hear or read them?
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #393 on: August 26, 2009, 02:20:56 AM »
On Effecting Revolutionary Change

‘Have a revolution.’ That’s how most people think society can be changed. But after each revolution, once again there’s the same disorder, the same dishonesty, the same injustice… The victims and torturers have changed sides, but that’s all, there are still victims and torturers. So the changes that need to be made are ones of attitude rather than external ones. Many people claim to be working for the happiness of humanity, but how many of them know what humans really need in order to be happy? Very few, and that’s why the results are not so great: even if we observe progress in some areas, at the same time we are forced to admit that things have regressed in others. Real progress and real improvement first take place within the heart, mind and soul as a result of the light. How can you expect effective change if human mentality remains the same: selfish, dishonest and treacherous? It’s this mentality that needs to be challenged; by changing attitudes you can change the world.
w

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #394 on: October 07, 2009, 10:53:23 AM »
Life's Not Fair
By Kelly McFadden
homeword.com

Now, O Lord, take away my life, for it is better for me to die than to live. But the Lord replied, "Have you any right to be angry?”
Jonah 4:3-4

As children, my sister and I got along very well. There were, of course, some things that irked her about her younger sister, me. For example, I would take a toy she was playing with and when she reported this horrible act to my mother, I would be told to apologize. However, this was usually followed by my sister being told to share with me, which never quite seemed fair to her.

When God called Jonah, commanding him to go to Nineveh and tell the people to repent from their wicked ways, Jonah fled. I used to think he ran away as an act of being scared or feeling inadequate of what he was asked to do. However, Jonah 4:2-3 records that Jonah fled because he knew God was merciful.

When Jonah finally went to Nineveh, he preached the message God had instructed him to declare: that God would destroy the city because of its wickedness. In response to the message, the people of Nineveh repented. The forgiveness and mercy the Lord showed did not seem fair to Jonah. He wanted justice. Instead, God looked at the city like a mother to a child, and as soon as they repented, He demonstrated His compassion by withholding His judgment.

It is not up to us to decide how God should treat people. It is not up to us to compare ourselves or to try to prove we are better than another. Have you found yourself in a situation like Jonah? Have you been angry when someone was shown mercy when he or she deserved punishment? Or, have you been angered when someone does not follow the Lord’s ways but still is blessed by a promotion or an award? Are you convinced that bad things happen to good people and good things to bad people? Have you ever felt that you deserve to be blessed, but that God withholds His blessing toward you?

God’s response is simple: Whom God blesses or to whom He demonstrates His mercy, is not our concern. He will have mercy on whomever He chooses. Our concern and focus should be on our own relationship with the Lord and our obedience to Him.

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #395 on: October 09, 2009, 07:36:27 AM »
God Uses Imperfect People
By Jim Liebelt
homeword.com

For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are – yet was without sin.  Hebrews 4:15

A youth worker shared with me about her ongoing struggle with a life-dominating problem. Of note was her own perception that this struggle has blocked her ability to know God and that until she conquers the problem God won’t allow her to be effective in ministry. As I heard her story, sadness fell over me as her struggle is not uncommon.

All too frequently, committed Christ-followers believe that God won’t reveal Himself or use anyone who doesn’t have life “all together.” An important question is this: Do you believe that God expects perfection from His followers?

One of my favorite encouraging stories in the Gospels, is the story of Jesus and Peter, after Jesus’ resurrection. The story takes place on the beach along the sea of Tiberias. Peter has seriously let Jesus down over the recent days, running away from Jesus at his time of greatest need and repeatedly denying he even knew Jesus. At their breakfast beach meeting, Jesus had every right to tell Peter, “I love you, but you let me down. I can’t trust you anymore.” Who among us would have blamed him?

Yet, Jesus did just the opposite. He gives Peter responsibility, “Feed my sheep.”  Peter was far from perfect. Peter was anything but a poster-boy for having it “all together.” Yet, Jesus not only revealed Himself personally to Peter, but He gave him authority to minister to others.

While God’s people are to pursue holiness, none of us is perfect and we all struggle with sin's grip on our lives. (See 1 John 1:8.) Yet, we need to embrace ourselves as we are: both saint and sinner, with strengths and weaknesses; successes and failures; victories and defeats. When we acknowledge our brokenness, struggles and our need for God, He will use us. When we embrace our weaknesses as part of us, and put our confidence in Christ's work in our lives, He will use us.

Rather than wallowing in the mire of self-condemnation today, receive this encouragement from Scripture: But He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore, I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me... for when I am weak, then I am strong. 2 Corinthians 12:9-10

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #396 on: October 14, 2009, 06:53:09 AM »
Making Everything New
By Mike DeVries
homeword.com

He who was seated on the throne said, “I am making everything new!”
Revelation 21:5a

What if?

Those two words are perhaps the most powerful in the English language. They speak of a profound hope that is at the heart of what we as Christians believe and embrace; namely, that what we see and experience right now in our lives is not the end of the story. The pain we feel, the past that haunts us, the failures that leave us with the feeling of being less than desired… all of these things are not the end of your story, nor mine.

The hope of Christianity is that, in Jesus, God is making everything new again.

Revelation 21 paints an astounding picture of the dream God has for this world. In it, we find God remaking the cosmos – a new heaven and a new earth. Yet what is most extraordinary is what happens next:  Heaven comes crashing into earth – humanity does not go somewhere else to be with God, God comes here – His dwelling place is now among the people. It is in this new reality that God proclaims that He “is making everything new.”

God is making everything new and right again – everything from creation to your life and to mine. Everything made new again. Everything.

Let that sink in a bit. What might this mean for…

• The things that haunt us from the past?
• The hurts that seem to control us?
• Places of failure, where we just don’t have it all together?
• Places where we just cannot sense any victory?
• Our fears of what has been, or what is, of what could be?
• The anxieties we feel about the present or the future?
• Our relationships?

Think of the hope this brings. Your life, right now, is not the end of your story. The God who is about the business of making every new is more than able to make your life new again. The hope of Christianity is not merely that someday, somewhere else things will all work out, but that in the here and now you can experience freedom and wholeness.

This is the good news of Jesus.

What if? What if your life could be made new again? That would be heavenly, would it not?

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #397 on: October 21, 2009, 10:51:18 AM »
Loving Your Enemies?
By Mike DeVries

But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you.  Luke 6:27-28

Sometimes I really don’t like what the Bible has to say—and often it is not the things I struggle to understand, but the things I do understand. Case in point: Jesus’ teachings about loving your enemies.

For all I hear about people wanting to follow the teachings of Jesus, I find a disconcerting reality. Most of us select the things we want to follow, or the things that fit into our ideals for life. So, when it comes to loving our enemies, we might wish Jesus had said:

“Love those people who are around you whom you can love, do good to those who will do good back to you, bless those who are like you and pray for those whom you deem worthy.” But, that is not what He said. Instead, Jesus said:

If someone slaps you on one cheek, turn the other also. If someone takes your coat, do not stop him from taking your tunic. Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. Do to others as you would have them do to you. If you love only those who love you, what credit is it to you? Even sinners love those who love them. If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners love those who love them. And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners do that. (Luke 6:29-33)

Jesus calls on us to love our enemies—those who hate us, curse us, and mistreat us. These are the people we are to love—in our actions, not just our words.

This is a hard teaching because it calls us to go against the flow of culture. It calls us to step forward and do what appears to be crazy. But therein lies the beauty. To love those who hate us, curse us, and mistreat us is to proclaim the kingdom come and diffuses the hate with love, for love covers a multitude of sins, both others’ and ours.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #398 on: November 05, 2009, 05:58:25 PM »
On Religion

"When we study the history of humanity, we become aware that religions have been the cause of the greatest rifts, because they have too limited a concept of the Divinity. People speak of the Jewish God, the Muslim God, the Christian God, as if there were several Gods, and even just among Christians there are so many divisions and misunderstandings!... But a true religion can only be a universal one, one that concerns not just certain peoples or certain nations but the whole world.

So, as from now we need to go further and turn to the universal Principle, the origin of all religions. The symbol for this universal religion is the sun. All religions come from the sun and are branches of the solar religion. Before human beings appeared, the sun already existed, and every day it tells them again and again, ‘Do not concern yourselves with the small differences there may be between you. Do as I do: give your light, your warmth and your life to all creatures!’"
w

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #399 on: November 19, 2009, 01:17:48 PM »
Had one of those days yesterday.   :-\    But I am encouraged by the words of this song.  If you are where I am too, I pray that these words are of comfort to you.  Please know that God hears you and will provide the forgiveness you seek.  He's that perfect!!!  ;D

Bless you, my friends - Colossus_500

Me Again
by J Moss

Forgive me Oh Lord - It's me again
I've disobeyed Your Word
I've slipped out of Your Will
Regretful I stand - me again

I've disobeyed Your Word
I've slipped out of Your Will