Author Topic: onlyme---question about Over the Top  (Read 33988 times)

Condor

• Getbig IV
  • Work Hard, Play Hard
onlyme---question about Over the Top
« on: April 18, 2006, 08:37:09 PM »
Since I know you were involved in this movie, you know that scene where John Grizzly drank motor oil and then another when he ate his cigar?  Were those props or did he really do that?  And were any of those guys actually pro arm wrestlers or did they just get the parts because they were big?

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
Re: onlyme---question about Over the Top
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 08:53:15 PM »
That was Bruce Wey.  I broke his arm in the Nationals in 1983.  He came back from the hospital in time to see me win and have m sign his cast.  He was known as a wild man.  He usually ate lit cigars on stage while you gripped hands.  His face was covered with hair.  He once ate a live parakeet.  He did drink oil once but ended up going to the hospital to gethis stomach pumped.

In the movie Alka Seltzer was a big sponsor.  I think for $500,000 product placement.  They were trying to figure out how to get a scene in the movie in order to have the product fit in.  So they found Bruce.  In the movie it was actually honey.

Just about every guy that eneded up in the final cut were pros or ex pros.  Ric who ended up taking the art I had originally after Big John Studd quit I don't think ever won a major pro event.  He had a  great look about him.

Short story about me and Bruce and the film.  They actually shot the final scene (competition) during the actual IAC World Championships.  As the picture below shows.  We me and Bruce had to go up againzt each other.  So now all the cameras came over to our table to film us.  As we lock up I feel someting on my shoulders and its Stallone hanging on my right shoulder lokking over to see our match.  The cameras were on Bruce and my camera right.  Well I got a little pissed and let go of the grip and turned around and looked at Sly and said excuse me.  He said sorry and back away.  We lock up again and they say go and about 2 seconds into the match I feel Sly touched my shoulder durng an actual match.  I eneded up beating Bruce on about 20 second or so can't remember.  But, I turned around and looked down at Sly and said f**k you and pushed him down.  He fell on his ass and about 10 guys come running up on stage to pick him up.  I leave the stage to sit with my friends and they all high fived me.  Nothing happened and he left the stage. 

The production made the competition last 19 hours.  They wouldn't people leave the audience who worked as extras.  They actually locked the doors.  they fed everyone and most people got pics.  I remember sitting with two girls and they were talking to me and taking pics and one of them asked me where Sly was.  He came walking in with 10 or so bodyguards and I pointed at him and said there he is.  They both look at him and at the same time said "Man is he skinny".  He weighed about 175 for the movie.  They put sandbags on the scale to increase his weight to 190 or so.

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 08:57:27 PM »
Damm that is a cool story! I would like to see him in the ring with you lol! Thats good Onlyme you got integrety don't let anyone push you around no matter how big they are!
just push some weight!

Billy Rosewood

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
  • Love is a Force of Nature
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 08:59:44 PM »
Keith, are you this guy?

Rusty Owns Chick's Soul

Billy Rosewood

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 09:01:58 PM »
Damm that is a cool story! I would like to see him in the ring with you lol! Thats good Onlyme you got integrety don't let anyone push you around no matter how big they are!

Yeah keith, you have "integrety", that must be fun.
Rusty Owns Chick's Soul

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 09:08:59 PM »
Keith, are you this guy?

No that is my freind Ric Zumwalt.  He is dead now.  Here is me and Ric in some tournament somewhere

Billy Rosewood

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2006, 09:10:18 PM »
No that is my freind Ric Zumwalt.  He is dead now.  Here is me and Ric in some tournament somewhere

I was in grade school when that movie came out and I remember that dudes glare freakin me out.  What did he die of?
Rusty Owns Chick's Soul

Condor

• Getbig IV
  • Work Hard, Play Hard
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2006, 09:11:02 PM »
That was Bruce Wey.  I broke his arm in the Nationals in 1983.  He came back from the hospital in time to see me win and have m sign his cast.  He was known as a wild man.  He usually ate lit cigars on stage while you gripped hands.  His face was covered with hair.  He once ate a live parakeet.  He did drink oil once but ended up going to the hospital to gethis stomach pumped.

In the movie Alka Seltzer was a big sponsor.  I think for $500,000 product placement.  They were trying to figure out how to get a scene in the movie in order to have the product fit in.  So they found Bruce.  In the movie it was actually honey.

Just about every guy that eneded up in the final cut were pros or ex pros.  Ric who ended up taking the art I had originally after Big John Studd quit I don't think ever won a major pro event.  He had a  great look about him.

Short story about me and Bruce and the film.  They actually shot the final scene (competition) during the actual IAC World Championships.  As the picture below shows.  We me and Bruce had to go up againzt each other.  So now all the cameras came over to our table to film us.  As we lock up I feel someting on my shoulders and its Stallone hanging on my right shoulder lokking over to see our match.  The cameras were on Bruce and my camera right.  Well I got a little pissed and let go of the grip and turned around and looked at Sly and said excuse me.  He said sorry and back away.  We lock up again and they say go and about 2 seconds into the match I feel Sly touched my shoulder durng an actual match.  I eneded up beating Bruce on about 20 second or so can't remember.  But, I turned around and looked down at Sly and said f**k you and pushed him down.  He fell on his ass and about 10 guys come running up on stage to pick him up.  I leave the stage to sit with my friends and they all high fived me.  Nothing happened and he left the stage. 

The production made the competition last 19 hours.  They wouldn't people leave the audience who worked as extras.  They actually locked the doors.  they fed everyone and most people got pics.  I remember sitting with two girls and they were talking to me and taking pics and one of them asked me where Sly was.  He came walking in with 10 or so bodyguards and I pointed at him and said there he is.  They both look at him and at the same time said "Man is he skinny".  He weighed about 175 for the movie.  They put sandbags on the scale to increase his weight to 190 or so.

Thanks, man!  That was a really cool story.  I remember watching that movie when I was like 10 years old, still one of my favorites I don't know why.  A few more questions if you don't mind.  Who was the guy that played Bull Hurley?  Any stories about him?  And do you have any other interesting stories about Stallone?  Thanks again, man.  It's really cool to have you on here.

JMentis

• Pros
  • Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2006, 09:21:52 PM »
Hey Keith was Eddie DeLuca in that movie too??  I know he has passed now.
JM

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2006, 09:32:32 PM »
If it helps...

Full Cast and Crew for
Over the Top (1987)

Writing credits
Gary Conway   (story) and 
David Engelbach   (story) (as David C. Engelbach)

Stirling Silliphant   (screenplay) and 
Sylvester Stallone   (screenplay)

Cast (in credits order)complete, awaiting verification
Sylvester Stallone ....  Lincoln Hawk
Robert Loggia ....  Jason Cutler
Susan Blakely ....  Christina Hawk
Rick Zumwalt ....  Bob 'Bull' Hurley
David Mendenhall ....  Michael Cutler
Chris McCarty ....  Tim Salanger
Terry Funk ....  Ruker
Bob Beattie ....  Announcer
Allan Graf ....  Collins
Greg 'Magic' Schwartz ....  Smasher FWIW, A pretty good friend.
Bruce Way ....  John Grizzly
Jimmy Keegan ....  Big Boy (Richie)
John Braden ....  Col. Davis
Tony Munafo ....  Tony
Randy Raney ....  Mad Dog Madison
Paolo Casella ....  Carl Adams (as Paul Sullivan)
Jack Wright ....  Big Bill Larson
Sam Scarber ....  Harry Bosco
Richie Giachetti ....  Landis
Michael Fox ....  Jim Olson
Ross St. Phillip ....  McBroom
Seth Mitchell ....  Cop #1
Dale Benson ....  Salesman
Joe Kiel ....  Taxi driver
Dean Abston ....  Turnkey
Flo Gerrish ....  Martha (the waitress)
David Van Gorder ....  Boy #2
Kelly Sahnger ....  Cashier
Charles M. Wilborn ....  Cashier
William Buck ....  Doctor (as William Nichols Buck)
Terry Burns ....  Doctor
Bob Eazor ....  Referee
Ed Levitt ....  Referee
Andrew Rhodes ....  Referee
Bob Rogers ....  Referee
Reggie Bennett ....  Female arm wrestler
Joshua Lee Patton ....  Arm wrestler
James Mendenhall ....  Minister
Danny Capri ....  Boy #3
Gregory Braendel ....  Limo driver
Sly Smith ....  Redcap (as Sly-Ali Smith)
Rose Dursey ....  Hospital clerk
Marion Mickens II ....  Officer of the Day
Dave Patton ....  Trainer
Alexa Lambert ....  Cocktail waitress
Ronnie Rondell Jr. ....  Guard
James H. Shana ....  Officer
Norman Howell ....  Man
Rex Pierson ....  Man
rest of cast listed alphabetically:
Stephanie Blake ....  Ticket agent (uncredited)
Richard Levine ....  Arm Wrestler (uncredited)
Paul Dion Monte ....  Arm wrestler (uncredited) Ditto
Derek A. Smith ....  Arm Wrestler (uncredited)

Produced by
James D. Brubaker
a

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2006, 09:58:26 PM »
You hit Sly!!!???

I hate you! I hate you!

I also hate Drago and the guy with all the gold around his neck and Arnold cause he made fun of him in one of his movies. Didn't he draw a moustache on his poster or something?

Keith, did we drive by Sly's house one nite to see if he was home? Or was that Cher's place?

I know all your stories but I did not know you hit Sly. Forget lunch when I get there!

Billy Rosewood

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2006, 10:01:25 PM »
If it helps...

Full Cast and Crew for
Over the Top (1987)

Writing credits
Gary Conway   (story) and 
David Engelbach   (story) (as David C. Engelbach)

Stirling Silliphant   (screenplay) and 
Sylvester Stallone   (screenplay)

Cast (in credits order)complete, awaiting verification
Sylvester Stallone ....  Lincoln Hawk
Robert Loggia ....  Jason Cutler
Susan Blakely ....  Christina Hawk
Rick Zumwalt ....  Bob 'Bull' Hurley
David Mendenhall ....  Michael Cutler
Chris McCarty ....  Tim Salanger
Terry Funk ....  Ruker
Bob Beattie ....  Announcer
Allan Graf ....  Collins
Greg 'Magic' Schwartz ....  Smasher FWIW, A pretty good friend.
Bruce Way ....  John Grizzly
Jimmy Keegan ....  Big Boy (Richie)
John Braden ....  Col. Davis
Tony Munafo ....  Tony
Randy Raney ....  Mad Dog Madison
Paolo Casella ....  Carl Adams (as Paul Sullivan)
Jack Wright ....  Big Bill Larson
Sam Scarber ....  Harry Bosco
Richie Giachetti ....  Landis
Michael Fox ....  Jim Olson
Ross St. Phillip ....  McBroom
Seth Mitchell ....  Cop #1
Dale Benson ....  Salesman
Joe Kiel ....  Taxi driver
Dean Abston ....  Turnkey
Flo Gerrish ....  Martha (the waitress)
David Van Gorder ....  Boy #2
Kelly Sahnger ....  Cashier
Charles M. Wilborn ....  Cashier
William Buck ....  Doctor (as William Nichols Buck)
Terry Burns ....  Doctor
Bob Eazor ....  Referee
Ed Levitt ....  Referee
Andrew Rhodes ....  Referee
Bob Rogers ....  Referee
Reggie Bennett ....  Female arm wrestler
Joshua Lee Patton ....  Arm wrestler
James Mendenhall ....  Minister
Danny Capri ....  Boy #3
Gregory Braendel ....  Limo driver
Sly Smith ....  Redcap (as Sly-Ali Smith)
Rose Dursey ....  Hospital clerk
Marion Mickens II ....  Officer of the Day
Dave Patton ....  Trainer
Alexa Lambert ....  Cocktail waitress
Ronnie Rondell Jr. ....  Guard
James H. Shana ....  Officer
Norman Howell ....  Man
Rex Pierson ....  Man
rest of cast listed alphabetically:
Stephanie Blake ....  Ticket agent (uncredited)
Richard Levine ....  Arm Wrestler (uncredited)
Paul Dion Monte ....  Arm wrestler (uncredited) Ditto
Derek A. Smith ....  Arm Wrestler (uncredited)

Produced by
James D. Brubaker

Ahhh Keith?  No disrespect intended bro, but I don't see your name in the credits.
Rusty Owns Chick's Soul

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2006, 10:03:04 PM »
Thanks for that list.  Alan Graff is a big time stunt cooridinator now.  Me and him advisedfor some movie an armwrestling scene.  I can't remember the name of it though.  Big Bill Larson is Jack Wright.  He is tothis day the youngest guy ever to compete in the WSM at just 19.  Randy Rainey was a maniac.  All thre referees were real and former competitors.  Dave Patton is by far one of the best in History.  I would have put him against any 200+ pound amatuer and he weighed about 175 or so.

A story about Stirling the screenewriter.  Me and my ex were in Beverly Hills looking at some houses and we went to one and was walking around and I saw all this Over The Top stuff.  ABout 10 minutes later the owners came home.  I asked about the posters and pictures and everything and he told me who he was.  He arote the movie OvertheTop.  I thought that was cool.  I guess ending up on the cutting room floor was my destiny. Oh well the movie didn't do that well in the theaters.  That was my only revenge.  Whats funny is how IMDB credits me as crew on the show.  

I did not know Eddie Deluca but that name sounds familar from somewhere.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2006, 10:04:58 PM »

Ahhh Keith?  No disrespect intended bro, but I don't see your name in the credits.

They generally don't put the guys who get cut out of the movie in the credits. Look on IMDB they gave me credit as crew instead.

And believe me no one was more embarrased when the movie came out and I was no where not even in the background.  That has all to do with my sponsor not paying the PP Fee to Cannon.  They gave them allot of chances and my sponsor either didn't feel it was worth it or they thought I was in it so much how are they going to cut me out.  Thats easy.

Billy Rosewood

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2006, 10:11:34 PM »
Keith,

You and Shawn both live in LA, and having lived there for 10 years, I know it can be a very small town.  Do you guys ever cross paths? If you do cross paths with him in the future, are you going to give him a little pimp slap to remind him that he's only 5'7"?
Rusty Owns Chick's Soul

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2006, 10:21:09 PM »
Keith,

You and Shawn both live in LA, and having lived there for 10 years, I know it can be a very small town.  Do you guys ever cross paths? If you do cross paths with him in the future, are you going to give him a little pimp slap to remind him that he's only 5'7"?

I never ever saw Shawn in person till I brought him to Hawaii to guest pose.  he didn't of course.  I lived in Hawthorne and Manhattan Beach for 31 years and I wouldn't say LA is small.  He lived inland I lived at the beach.  I trained at World back in 79 to 83 or so.  I thnk he trained at Gold's.  I was young so I don't know.  And no I would not hit Shawn.  Thats all I need is to go to court and have the judge see me and then look at Shawn.  I'll get thrown in prison for child beating.   ;D

Billy Rosewood

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2006, 10:24:55 PM »
I never ever saw Shawn in person till I brought him to Hawaii to guest pose.  he didn't of course.  I lived in Hawthorne and Manhattan Beach for 31 years and I wouldn't say LA is small.  He lived inland I lived at the beach.  I trained at World back in 79 to 83 or so.  I thnk he trained at Gold's.  I was young so I don't know.  And no I would not hit Shawn.  Thats all I need is to go to court and have the judge see me and then look at Shawn.  I'll get thrown in prison for child beating.   ;D

LA can be very small when you work in the same industry as another person.  Anyway, I suggest you check the bottom of your shoes, Shawn may be compressed and need to stretch.
Rusty Owns Chick's Soul

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2006, 10:26:57 PM »
Billy, this is true........ Keith is way too kind of a person to hit anyone. He is a big, kind hearted guy who just loves this Board and all the people on it even those whom he speaks unkindly of.

But he might take a healthy swing at ya if you give him a direct hit with a baseball bat or make fun of his brand new 1984 automobile.

Billy Rosewood

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2006, 10:28:51 PM »
Billy, this is true........ Keith is way too kind of a person to hit anyone. He is a big, kind hearted guy who just loves this Board and all the people on it even those whom he speaks unkindly of.

But he might take a healthy swing at ya if you give him a direct hit with a baseball bat or make fun of his brand new 1984 automobile.

Whoa!!! In LA, shittin on a man's ride is like shittin on a man's girl. You my friend are cruisin for a bruisin!
Rusty Owns Chick's Soul

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2006, 10:42:58 PM »
Possibly so, but I am tougher and can beat him up.

Billy Rosewood

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2006, 10:44:16 PM »
Possibly so, but I am tougher and can beat him up.

So you are callin Keith out?
Rusty Owns Chick's Soul

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2006, 11:38:27 PM »
Interesting - Keith, when you do come to Los Angeles or Vegas, there are a number of people who want to say hello. I hear you will come to the Olympia!

Eventually, I will move this thread to the History Board...

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2006, 12:14:54 AM »
Ron, would you kindly identify the "number of people who want to say hello" to Keith?

I might have to tag along to protect him.

Billy Rosewood

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2006, 12:16:37 AM »
Ron, would you kindly identify the "number of people who want to say hello" to Keith?

I might have to tag along to protect him.

Stunt,

I can't tell if you and Kieth are buddies, or you legitimately think he is an a-hole.  Which is it?
Rusty Owns Chick's Soul

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2006, 12:18:28 AM »
I think Only should answer that question on my behalf.