Author Topic: How many of you train a bodypart more than once a week?  (Read 10078 times)

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
Re: How many of you train a bodypart more than once a week?
« Reply #100 on: July 15, 2020, 08:08:51 AM »
I train whole body twice per week for 45 minutes but I'm 69 and 100% drug free, don't even take vitamins.

Great muscle for any age.

oldgolds

• Getbig IV
« Reply #101 on: July 15, 2020, 08:30:49 AM »
             looking good man, i'll be 69 in august. pic below was at 67 before all the shit went down and couldn't train for a year. three surgeries later ending with open heart and i started training a month ago. 7 days a week 40 minutes cardio and 30 minutes light weightlifting.

You look good...Probably leaner than me!

oldgolds

• Getbig IV
« Reply #102 on: July 15, 2020, 08:42:35 AM »
Do you eat any meat or fish? I get that much protein in one meal with some type of meat.

I eat maybe a chicken breast and can of sardines and some whole wheat bread per day, plus veggies, rice etc. Here's a shot of my right arm  (pumped)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #103 on: July 15, 2020, 09:26:33 AM »
Looking great for your age. Do you dye your hair or wear a wig? ;D
    i know it's weird hair is natural all black very few grays. it's a family trait i had an uncle died with a full head of hair mostly black at 90 years old.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #104 on: July 15, 2020, 09:29:11 AM »
Awesome arms for any age let alone 67 mate, are you a Chinese fella ?
              no man, 100 percent Czechoslovakian.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #105 on: July 15, 2020, 09:33:38 AM »
You look like you’re doing well if you can maintain that look after your medical setbacks.

Does heart disease run in your family, or were there other extenuating circumstances?
  no heart disease in the family. just a little insanity that begins and ends with me. i think the over training might have caused. i think i over stressed my immune system causing the infection which ate away my aorta valve. i'm going to downsize my training load for a while.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #106 on: July 15, 2020, 09:36:43 AM »

You look good...Probably leaner than me!
i don't know you're in great shape probably less beat up than i am.
F

escrima

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #107 on: July 15, 2020, 09:44:34 AM »
    i know it's weird hair is natural all black very few grays. it's a family trait i had an uncle died with a full head of hair mostly black at 90 years old.
balls too? just asking  ;D

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #108 on: July 15, 2020, 10:18:22 AM »

Lol....Couple months...I took that a month  after the gyms closed down and I had been  doing pushups, situps and arm work with my one 40 lb. dumbell.
No it's not a pizza slice. lol
I might add that I only get about 35-50 grams of protein daily for the last 30 years. I think protein intake is over rated.

You may be right about protein intake. I used to pay really close attention to trying to match grams of protein to body weight in pounds with an emphasis on protein from meat or fish. I've changed my goal to much less protein but from a greater variety of sources including plant proteins. I can't tell that this has changed my physicality with the exception of feeling better and less full after eating. My body's response to exercise remains the same as it was before.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #109 on: July 15, 2020, 10:51:32 AM »
balls too? just asking  ;D
                i won't know he had a suit on at his funeral. :D only the undertaker knows
F

escrima

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #110 on: July 16, 2020, 02:34:53 AM »
                i won't know he had a suit on at his funeral. :D only the undertaker knows
:D 

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #111 on: July 16, 2020, 03:55:44 AM »
i don't know you're in great shape probably less beat up than i am.

Epic plastic mini stool to climb in and out of the bathtub.
X

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #112 on: July 16, 2020, 01:07:40 PM »
Epic plastic mini stool to climb in and out of the bathtub.
               that thing is beat. :D  never used it for that, just to change light bulbs.
F

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #113 on: July 16, 2020, 01:34:23 PM »
Agreed about protein. I have reduced my intake to less than 100 gm a day- and often only 50-75. I've been doing this for a year and have lost no muscle- yet I feel
so much better! I should add that I get most of my calories from eating natural fats with carbs at anout 100-150 a day.

I'm torn on this subject. You can't build muscle without protein. Carbs can't be converted to amino acids but protein can be converted to glucose so it seems to make sense to err on the side of more protein. Plus, all the health issues regarding diet has to do with excessive carbs and fat which would comprise the majority of you calories if you are only getting 200 calories from protein a day.

Still, how the hell do gorillas get so big and strong being mostly vegetarians? Other than eating termites and ants it's mostly fruits and vegatables.Where do they get the protein to support such incredible muscle mass?

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #114 on: July 16, 2020, 06:13:34 PM »
I'm torn on this subject. You can't build muscle without protein. Carbs can't be converted to amino acids but protein can be converted to glucose so it seems to make sense to err on the side of more protein. Plus, all the health issues regarding diet has to do with excessive carbs and fat which would comprise the majority of you calories if you are only getting 200 calories from protein a day.

Still, how the hell do gorillas get so big and strong being mostly vegetarians? Other than eating termites and ants it's mostly fruits and vegatables.Where do they get the protein to support such incredible muscle mass?
The older I get the more I don't really care..I just want it simple

I feel that calories are the end all be all...and as long as I get as many of those calories possible from protein I stay healthy...I try to never let my carbs get over 110 grams a day no matter what my calories number is. I only do this because I notice that I sleep best with minimal carbs.

Bench

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #115 on: July 16, 2020, 06:53:43 PM »

I backed off on protein because i am prone to uric acid kidney stones - a genetic trait on my father's side. It shows up pretty quickly on high protein diets and if i go keto - it can happen in a week.

I used to buy into the high protein diet as a way to build muscle but i think the science still isn't settled on that. I am lean at 185, at a height of 5'9". Right now I sit at 200, pretty much rock steady. I cut my protein to less than 100 gms per day almost exactly one year ago. Haven't changed weight at all- and still lifting the same poundages as being on high protein.

When I was racing bicycles I hung around with a lot of sprinters - guys with monstrous quads - who got them  from lifting and sprint intervals. None of them ever was on a high protein diet. In fact they all ate carbs like they were going out of style. I used to travel with a few of them and saw it all first hand.

The biggest legs on a cyclist I have ever seen btw were on Eric Heiden. I was racing in Milwaukee and he was there for the pro events. I stood next to him briefly and was blown away. 28-30" I'd guess. And Heiden was very well known for eating junk food all day long. These guys absolutely did not do high protein diets. Pictures don't do him justice. In his cycling days he was actually smaller than he was while speedskating and yet he was a monster.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • "Woke is a cult." - Joe Rogan
« Reply #116 on: July 17, 2020, 04:10:28 AM »

How Do Gorillas Get So Big And Strong While Being Herbivores?

https://nedhardy.com/2020/03/27/how-do-gorillas-get-so-big-and-strong/

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #117 on: July 17, 2020, 04:48:00 AM »
I backed off on protein because i am prone to uric acid kidney stones - a genetic trait on my father's side. It shows up pretty quickly on high protein diets and if i go keto - it can happen in a week.

I used to buy into the high protein diet as a way to build muscle but i think the science still isn't settled on that. I am lean at 185, at a height of 5'9". Right now I sit at 200, pretty much rock steady. I cut my protein to less than 100 gms per day almost exactly one year ago. Haven't changed weight at all- and still lifting the same poundages as being on high protein.

When I was racing bicycles I hung around with a lot of sprinters - guys with monstrous quads - who got them  from lifting and sprint intervals. None of them ever was on a high protein diet. In fact they all ate carbs like they were going out of style. I used to travel with a few of them and saw it all first hand.

The biggest legs on a cyclist I have ever seen btw were on Eric Heiden. I was racing in Milwaukee and he was there for the pro events. I stood next to him briefly and was blown away. 28-30" I'd guess. And Heiden was very well known for eating junk food all day long. These guys absolutely did not do high protein diets. Pictures don't do him justice. In his cycling days he was actually smaller than he was while speedskating and yet he was a monster.
A calorie is a calorie.

oldgolds

• Getbig IV
« Reply #118 on: July 17, 2020, 08:35:31 AM »
I used to believe all the junk I read in the muscle mags about needing huge amounts of protein and  so I experimented with myself, high protein did nothing for me. Maybe a guy on steroids needs/responds better to high protein because it helps protein synthysis.
I would like to see a scientific study on  optimum protein intake for a steroid free  weight trained Man.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #119 on: July 17, 2020, 08:51:40 AM »
I used to believe all the junk I read in the muscle mags about needing huge amounts of protein and  so I experimented with myself, high protein did nothing for me. Maybe a guy on steroids needs/responds better to high protein because it helps protein synthysis.
I would like to see a scientific study on  optimum protein intake for a steroid free  weight trained Man.

There's been many.  I'll save you some time... the men who ate more protein gained more muscle mass. 

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #120 on: July 17, 2020, 09:28:48 AM »
A calorie is a calorie.

Pretty much - as far as mass gain and body fat go. I think it you just stick to natural foods and eat based on what you prefer, you'll be fine. The big problem these days is the processed garbage- and that is really good for no one in the long run.

I find myself just wanting a steak some days, eggs another, lots of carbs another. It's how the body works.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #121 on: July 17, 2020, 09:35:08 AM »
Pretty much - as far as mass gain and body fat go. I think it you just stick to natural foods and eat based on what you prefer, you'll be fine. The big problem these days is the processed garbage- and that is really good for no one in the long run.

I find myself just wanting a steak some days, eggs another, lots of carbs another. It's how the body works.
Yep, the body knows.

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #122 on: July 17, 2020, 09:37:21 AM »
There's been many.  I'll save you some time... the men who ate more protein gained more muscle mass.

If you are natural, all mass gains plateau after about 2-3 years, no matter what you eat.

There was a  longitudinal study in the very early 60's showing average body mass of lean strength athletes in colleges - and it was huge - 10,000+ people.  I will try to find it (It has been about 5 years since I found it on line).  A guy my height,  5'9", had weights in  the extremes from about 140-200. So that goes from ectomorphic to endomorphic. There were no lean 5'9" guys walking around at 220 until Mr Dianabol showed up.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #123 on: July 17, 2020, 10:07:06 AM »
If you are natural, all mass gains plateau after about 2-3 years, no matter what you eat.

There was a  longitudinal study in the very early 60's showing average body mass of lean strength athletes in colleges - and it was huge - 10,000+ people.  I will try to find it (It has been about 5 years since I found it on line).  A guy my height,  5'9", had weights in  the extremes from about 140-200. So that goes from ectomorphic to endomorphic. There were no lean 5'9" guys walking around at 220 until Mr Dianabol showed up.
I laugh when I hear natties say they've made continuous gains for years or decades.  I doubled my bench the first month I trained with weights.  If I made continuous gains like that I'd be benching planet Jupiter by now.

oldgolds

• Getbig IV
« Reply #124 on: July 17, 2020, 10:43:54 AM »

Yes.....This is pretty much my experience also. No more lean muscle after about 2-3 years of training. Lottsa guys put on tons of bodyweight and thinks it's mostly muscle but they are kidding themselves. I'll never forget one 300 lb juiced bodybuilder who worked at Golds and decided to enter the Mr San Diego, he went down and down in bodyweight and on contest night he was still smooth and overweight at 210 lbs.   Most people are not objective.