Author Topic: How Bodybuilding Saved My Life  (Read 16924 times)

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
How Bodybuilding Saved My Life
« on: April 20, 2006, 09:32:03 PM »
I was then 35, an overweight, bloated, sweating attorney,  On the way to work I would stop by the neighborhood minimart and buy a big breakfast burrito on the restaurant on our building.  I gained weight so quickly one partner said to some other attorneys in my firm, "is it just me or does he get fatter each time he comes in here?"  My doctor called me a "malpatient" after I balooned up to 250 plus.

I don't know why, maye it reminded me of a more innocent time as a young kid, but I picked up a 35 lb pair of dumbells for the office.  I know, not a big deal for those of you curling and pressing more massive amounts.  But each day I would do a basic exercise for a different bodypart.  I gave up breakfast burritos for canned tuna and protein powder.

Each day passed.  I would walk 5 miles, sometime sobbing like a fool.  Like a weed, a new lifestyle began to emerge.  I began to wonder how I could install a pullup bar on the high beam in my garage. I now slipped away from work to go to Gold's Gym at Venice Beach.   Not much had changed physically, yet something was changing inside.  One day, I noticed that I no longer woke up exhausted After several months, my belt didn't cut into my gut during the drive to work.  I started a regular routine in my steadily growing home gym.

Then, one day a co-worker was in the elevator with me and said, "wow, what have you been doing? you look fantastic."  That night I went home and took a good look in the mirror.  The love handles had not disappeared entirely but shrank to a great degree.  I saw the begining shape of muscles in my chest, delts and biceps and a horeshoe rige in my triceps.  From that moment on, I fully embraced a new addiction.  I bought every muscle mag i could find, I worked the internet like I was doing legal research, I wrote down every scrap of food I ate and constantly analyzed how my diet could be better.  I focused harder on my intensity in the gym.

It's been over a year.  I wouldn't be mistaken for a competitive bodybuilder, but in a group of people, I stand out as someone who is serious about his condition.  My weight is down to 220 at 6'3, my arms are not huge, but measure a solid 18", my waist is not cut but at a fairly trim 33/34".  Every month a new detail seems to emerge like a picture coming slowly into focus.

In sum, I'm now 37.  I have no illusion of ever competing or being mistaken for a full time bodybuilder  (how I wish I had this passion 15 years ago).  But every time I go to my job, or kiss my wife, or hug my kids, all of which I was close to losing, I'm being handed a Sandow.  I owe more to this sport than anyone and I hope I'm worthy of it for the rest of my days.

To my brothers and sisters in iron, I say continue to fight the good fight and I admire you all more than you could ever guess.

Jeff Preston

• Getbig II
Re: How Bodybuilding Saved My Life
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 10:07:37 PM »
"Being mistaken for a full time bodybuilder"?

My friend you are a full time bodybuilder! The measure of the man is not what might step on a stage but the soul of the man who's hands wrap around the steel!
That cold iron has lifted many out of the depths.  It's a trusted firend who never leaves, even though we might leave it.
You have discovered that training is much moire than just what you might look like in the mirror, it develops the inside, it forges a heart of stone!
GREAT story!
Raw-Iron.com

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 11:51:30 PM »
Yes very good story.  I too am working on being able to tell a similar stroy to yours.  Hopefully by the end of the year if I make I will be able to do so.  Good Job.  very inspirational

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 06:27:28 AM »
Good luck. It is great to hear a positive story. My brother lost everything due to a gambling addiction. I wish he could pull his life together like you did.
The House that Ruth built

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 06:17:00 PM »
Very inspirational story. Good work.

ozman

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2006, 03:53:52 PM »
WOW

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2006, 05:16:09 PM »
Rambo, Welcome to the brotherhood of Iron.  Im so happy for you and your family.  That made my day to read your story. 8)    Thanks.

wishtobbigger

• Getbig II
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2006, 10:05:58 AM »
wow talk about inspiration that is one hell of a turn around brother that is the best story i have heard in a long time keep it up and do nopt give it up the demons may lurk but use your dedication to banish them i am so inspired and remmeber why i started training you may not be a pro buddy but you are changing your life with iron for a positive effect that is what a body builder does
BKS: the peoples champion

MadisonWI

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2006, 05:26:46 AM »
Wow.

Nice work!!

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2006, 06:39:44 AM »
Cool stuff. The gym is like going to church, just a different kinda prayer!
X

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2006, 08:35:29 AM »
Thanks to all of you guys for the encouraging feedback and positive energy, it makes me train even harder.

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2006, 11:16:49 AM »
There is something very unique about weight training/ bodybuilding as practiced by the average person. I mean, you go off to the gym, or in my case to my home gym, and grab the iron and work on building your body. Its a neat kind of ritual. After all these years of doing it, I still get the same rush whenever I work out. I do it just for myself and that's reward enough. I wonder sometimes if I never picked up the activity how my life would be.

Its a great addiction.

FreshMintBlue

• Getbig III
  • Me and your Maaaaaaaa
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2006, 03:48:06 AM »
Holy Crap...Phantastic Story, I would seriously send it to MD or Flex, maybe with a before and after pic.
Your and my story is very similar apart from the drug part.
Who gives a shit

dseiler

• Getbig III
  • GOING OFF THE DEEP END. FUCK IT
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2006, 07:44:49 AM »
One of the best stories I have read. Congrats bro, you definitely inspire some of us to keep going.

"I have no illusion of ever competing or being mistaken for a full time bodybuilder  (how I wish I had this passion 15 years ago).  But every time I go to mjy job, or kiss my wife, or hug my kids, all of which I was close to losing, I'm being handed a Sandow."

That's a great line.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2006, 12:07:37 PM »
One of the best stories I have read. Congrats bro, you definitely inspire some of us to keep going.

"I have no illusion of ever competing or being mistaken for a full time bodybuilder  (how I wish I had this passion 15 years ago).  But every time I go to mjy job, or kiss my wife, or hug my kids, all of which I was close to losing, I'm being handed a Sandow."

That's a great line.

Thanks, man.  I really feel that way.

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2006, 01:52:01 AM »
Truely inspirational!!

For everyone of us that struggles with a weights, with a  diet etc etc, or is finding things hard. We should read YOUR story again and again, to instill in us that no matter how tough things get u can always succeed.

I wish u well in ur quest, and im sure u will have continued success!!

God bless Bro

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

FreshMintBlue

• Getbig III
  • Me and your Maaaaaaaa
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2006, 05:41:37 AM »
This is excatly why so many don't understand why we go every day to the gym read thousands of articles magazines and books about nutritian and so forth.
It's not a sport it's a way of live, it makes you more confident in yourself not because you look "better" but because the first time you bench 100kilos you think If I can do THAT...I can do anything.
Bodybuilding has so many faces.
Who gives a shit

Superman

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2006, 11:08:52 AM »
I call that the power of bodybuilding. You feel it, you love it, and you can’t get enough of it...Amen

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2006, 01:21:01 PM »
Without trying to take away from original purpose of thread, but more as a way of complimenting it.........has anyone else also got any more motivational speaches, either personal to urself OR ones from books etc as means of motivation before going to the gym.

AND once again bro, ur an inspiration.keep it up!!!!

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

Yorkie T

• Getbig III
  • Blades Business Crew.
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2006, 06:32:13 AM »
great story.i can relate to it because the reason i started lifting were similar to yours.bodybuilding really does give you something else to focus your mind on and helps you forget about all your demons.keep up the good work mate youve turned your life around now
8) B.B.C. 8)

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2006, 04:43:43 PM »
Very inspirational story. Good work.
no doubt! I just read it now. wow!
bodybuildersreality.com

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2006, 05:04:34 PM »
I am happy to read I story like yours. Keep at it and never surrender!
just push some weight!

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2006, 05:06:48 PM »
I am happy to read I story like yours. Keep at it and never surrender!
you do speak positive! good to know alex.
bodybuildersreality.com

dovidov

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2006, 02:27:44 PM »
Rambo- thanx so much for sharing your life with us- very inspirational- good luck

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2006, 03:40:23 PM »
Rambo- thanx so much for sharing your life with us- very inspirational- good luck

You're welcome.  Bodybuilding was more effective than any 12 step program and I will continue to praise the sport in hope that others recognize that they have a similar chance to overcome their problems.