Author Topic: How many push-ups can you do?  (Read 7340 times)

brianX

• Getbig IV
  • Kiwiol has 13" arms!
How many push-ups can you do?
« on: April 21, 2006, 12:51:51 AM »
Just out of curiously, I tried to see how many push-ups I could do after tonight's workout. I got 31 at a bodyweight of 240.

How many push-ups can you do? I'm talking full push-ups with a shoulder width hand spacing.
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
  • Citizens! The Fatherland is in Danger
Re: How many push-ups can you do?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 01:57:53 AM »
try to do them before a workout.  i can get a lot more than that, im only 176 tho.  when i was in Army ROTC I always maxed pushups (71 in 2 minutes is max score), though i really did 10 more they fuck with you and say they dont coutn sometimes.
Valhalla awaits.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 02:07:13 AM »
I'm in the Army so I figured I'd answer. We do them for our physical fitness test. I think they're worthless as a military gauge of strength but for the average person, not bad. 94 is the best on a test. Thats in a two minute period> usually just hit my max for age which is 80.  Usually 50 in 1 minute and then 30 in th next 30 seconds or so. In any case I try to max before the time is up. We have to do them so we break 90 and come all the way up. I never do them after working out so i'm sure you ould do much more fresh. Body weight 220. There is a math formula that you can use to figure how much weight your actually pushing. Little guys get over.
L

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 02:23:36 AM »
Yeah dude, they like to screw you.  The more rank or older you get the easier it gets on that end.  Pull-ups are much better for a military gauge of strength. Try em' elevated and spread the arms out wider.
L

Budweiser

• Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 06:31:37 AM »
The most I ever got was 60. I was competing against a buddy of mine that was going into the Navy. He weighed about 30lbs less than me. I think he got something like 85 or so.
Transferred from bb.com

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2006, 07:01:32 AM »
This is sort on nutty, but one day I had a slow day at work and wanted to see if I could do 1000 in 8 hrs (I have an office with a locking door).  So I did the math and figured out how many sets I needed to do at what time intervals and I printed out a grid.  Then I checked off each time (I'm trying to remember, I think I was doing sets of 35 or around there).  I made it with the last set being right before I was leaving for the day.  The next day my joints were a little tender but surprisingly the muscles were not.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2006, 07:55:43 AM »
Had you decided to do 1000 pull-ups you'd have been dead if you got it done. Which validates my argument that for the BB or average job their a good exercis e but for guys who to carry 80lbs pounds of gear just to leave a FOB - Forward operating base in Iraq or Afghanisatn its ridiculous. I'm in Afganistan right now. I way 220. I put that crap on and I'm close to 280. I carry a 9mm with 90 rds. Not bad. plus I've got 60-90 5.56 for my guys should I get hit. Plus the vest ahnd helmit, which are great now. Very lite weight. Try just standing in thit Sh$t. It is very neccesary but it kills the smaller guys. Th guys who have to go up into the mountains have packs etc plus m-249's or 240B machine guns. Plus the ammo. Anway you get the picture. The Marines do a better job of basic physical fitness, pull-up, rope climb, lunges with weight etc. The Army likes to run. Have a good one.
L

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2006, 08:31:38 AM »
Had you decided to do 1000 pull-ups you'd have been dead if you got it done. Which validates my argument that for the BB or average job their a good exercis e but for guys who to carry 80lbs pounds of gear just to leave a FOB - Forward operating base in Iraq or Afghanisatn its ridiculous. I'm in Afganistan right now. I way 220. I put that crap on and I'm close to 280. I carry a 9mm with 90 rds. Not bad. plus I've got 60-90 5.56 for my guys should I get hit. Plus the vest ahnd helmit, which are great now. Very lite weight. Try just standing in thit Sh$t. It is very neccesary but it kills the smaller guys. Th guys who have to go up into the mountains have packs etc plus m-249's or 240B machine guns. Plus the ammo. Anway you get the picture. The Marines do a better job of basic physical fitness, pull-up, rope climb, lunges with weight etc. The Army likes to run. Have a good one.

Thank you for your service to our country.  You're right that pullups are a whole different ball game and I would never even dream of 1000 pullups in one day (maybe in a month).  Weighted pull ups are my favorite.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2006, 08:41:39 AM »
Yeah I "liked em" but my forearms have been killing me so I'm skipping Bi's for 4 weeks and dropping pull-ups from back for about the same. I'm trying to bust my bench plateau so we'll see.

Thanks bro!!!
L

newdumbell303

• Getbig II
  • "get serious..."
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2006, 08:42:27 AM »
this guy I knew, went to marines basic or army, whichever one does pullups. Anyway, he was one of them freaks that was always capable of doing crap load of pullups. He weighed something like 153lbs and 5'9 so he was a lean guy. Anyway before he left for training he could do 26 pullups nonstop, when he came back he could only do 18, boot camp screwed him over. Said he was sick the whole time, went to the hospital at one point, dropped down to 140lbs, worst time of his life. He now is out of the military and he has a lot of resentment towards the entire military now. He actually got out a year early but I dont know why, he says medical leave or something but who knows.

Anyway, pushups as everybody has said arent a very good way of gauging strength, pullups are definetely quite better.

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2006, 09:10:19 AM »
I remember that test in rotc in college. 80 push ups was the max you were credited for in 2 minutes. Then they made you do sit ups and then you ran for a mile and half. Should of included free squats and can the sit ups.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2006, 10:06:42 AM »
Its the Marines bud. I joined the Marines in 91' because of desert storm and they beat that SOB and the war ended and I was stuck in the Corp. Still don't know how that happened. Anyway did about 1 year on active and then during the draw down I was able to get out and go to colledge. Did Reserve time and then ended up joining the Army.

Went to boot at 185 and sloppy. Came back 158 and pretty tight. My first unit 1sgt was a heavy weight boxer in the Marines and he told us we had to be either runners or lifters. This allowed us to either run or lift at the end of schedualed PT in the morning. I hate running so I learned "badly" how to lift. Our Platoon Cdr could run a sub 16 - 3 mile. Thats a dead sprint to the rest of us. Hate that crap.

I think 82's the max for 18-23 year olds. You don't get points for going over max. They stopped going over 300 points total for all three events,  PU/SU and 2 mile run , a little while ago. I still max my PU/SU's because my runs a crawl. Sit-ups are horrible for your back and like the last guy said  PU's don't measure anything.

L

triple_pickle

• Getbig IV
  • Pull Hard, Move Fast
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2006, 12:59:16 PM »
my neighbor's son is 11, skinny as shit, does gymnastics, and can do over 100 push-ups.  gymnasts have great endurance.

G.R.H.

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2006, 03:46:27 PM »
i think the last time i tried i was able to bang out about 30 too. (on a good day)!

Scimowser

• Getbig V
  • Make them remember you
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2006, 12:34:33 PM »
when i joined the Armny at 16 i specifically trained for push up endurance but was crap at it. We used to do 2 minutes pushups, 2 minutes sit ups and then a 1.5mile run as fast as possible. I usually got around 80 legit pushups, about 130+situps and completed the run in 7 minutes 30 or thereabouts

id be lucky to get 20 now if im honest, ive done fuck all training for about 15 -16 months  :(
Scouser on Tour

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
  • here comes the hotstepper!
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2006, 03:26:16 PM »
162 before i start to lose feeling in my arms...

i blame it on the fire dept...and i weighed 208 this morning

bigbalddaddy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2006, 03:59:19 PM »
When I was in the Air Force, yes fellas, Air Force our requirement was 100 push-ups in under 2 min, followed by a 2 min break, then 100 sit-ups in 2 min, followed by a 2 min break, followed by 30 pull ups in under 2, min followed by a 2 min break and then 1.5 miles in under 8 min all of which we ALL could do with no pause or stop during the acutal movements.  If you finished your movements in under the alloted time you could use the remainder for rest.  We had guys that could get around 120 of sit-ups & pull ups and close to 35 pull ups but they were freaks.  Swimming tests and road marches were done all the time and not a part of evals.  We did these drills once a month along with FTX's and weapons evals.  As you could guess I didn't sit behind a computer for a job so before anyone blasts the Air Force just know that every branch has SF!

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2006, 09:44:54 PM »
When I was in the Air Force, yes fellas, Air Force our requirement was 100 push-ups in under 2 min, followed by a 2 min break, then 100 sit-ups in 2 min, followed by a 2 min break, followed by 30 pull ups in under 2, min followed by a 2 min break and then 1.5 miles in under 8 min all of which we ALL could do with no pause or stop during the acutal movements.  If you finished your movements in under the alloted time you could use the remainder for rest.  We had guys that could get around 120 of sit-ups & pull ups and close to 35 pull ups but they were freaks.  Swimming tests and road marches were done all the time and not a part of evals.  We did these drills once a month along with FTX's and weapons evals.  As you could guess I didn't sit behind a computer for a job so before anyone blasts the Air Force just know that every branch has SF!

OK bud, when where you in the Airforce. If you were in a long while ago the standards were even more lax. I'll give you a chance to rephrase this. The Airforce has never required anybody to do any of this stuff including the PJ's or Para Jumpers.  For everybody else thats the guys who work with SF/Delta as medics. They had some in Black hawk Down. Maybe those where the maxes. Everybody has max scores. The test is run one after another with PU's/SU not anymore - cruntches now. I think you guys sprint or something now. in any event its not fun but even SF only requires a 260 or above on the PT test. Not that you'd wanna go in in that kind of shape. If you were in Security forces or MP's then your  unit may have had its own requiremnets but dude you'll scare anybody from joining the Airforce if you tell em stuff like this. In the Army units will try and have individual requirements  ie 4 miles in 26 minutes or ruck marches in under a certain time. They can't slam you unless you fail the Army standard PT test. As the AF gets smaller they have become or are becoming more like the Army. Thanks for serving bro.
L

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2006, 11:50:32 PM »
I never tried to max out on them.I remember once after I had not lifted in awhile I thought I would start out easy with push ups,did 50 and my chest was so sore the next day I could barely move.

buffbong

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2006, 05:56:37 AM »
my best about of push up while int he army in two minutes was 94 but all the way up and down chest touching the ground. lol you should see some of the guys who are like oh i do 120 push ups then you see them most of the time tooth picks and they go half way down with hands wide as shit.  i think push ups are a good alternitive sometimes in your routine as a finiishing movment rather than flyes for variety.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2006, 08:33:21 AM »
Funny about being sore. When we have organized PT, I always do the bare miniumum because they'll screw your chest,tri or even Bi workout if you push to hard. Atleast I'm in a postion now to dictate how many I have to do.

If you guys want a good finisher for chest or tri's try hiting diamond or close arm PU or wide grip PU's.
As for the little guys they get over on everything. When your 140 or 150 you end up push like 80lbs of body mass. They get over on sit-ups and the run as well. Great, but ever try pulling an 180 lbs guy out of burning tank or Humvee, no way in hell. A few guy have written in about when they were in the service etc and what they had to do. If you have'nt been in since 911 it's totally different as far as what we have to do physically. The military , especially the Army is going to have to relook what we do for physical training. Alot of you guys would be much better suited physically to do what we have do on a daily basis. You see guys all the time struggling to get up or just move in the crap we have to wear now. Have a good one.
L

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2006, 08:40:31 AM »
push ups are for pussies, get your ass on the bench press, b itches!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jaejonna rows 125!!

IronGame

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2006, 08:44:47 AM »
I just did 52.  But I admit the last 5, I had to rest a few seconds between each one.  

Years ago, when I was in high school, I had a friend that was a pro motocross racer (at one time he actually had a Honda factory ride).  Anyway, I saw the dude win a $20.00 bet by doing 100 real, clean, pushups without stopping.  The dude that made the bet actually put his fist on the ground under my buddy's chest, and he had to touch it on very rep to win.  $20.00 was a lot of money back then LOL!!
white belt for life

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2006, 08:53:13 AM »
It's funny reading the post. You guys are doing em for fun., We have to and I avoid them like death because they screw up my work-outs.

Feel better "sarcasm" hope so.

Last time I took a PT  test I took it with buddy who's in SF and a former Olympic athelete. He swore he'd do 70 and get up because he had to swim that afternoon. I said I'd do the same because who wants to get shown up by an olympiad. Well he kept going and I kept going and we both got to 90. I'm pretty sure he swam fine but it blew my work-out.
L

G.R.H.

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2006, 10:48:39 AM »
hey, more power to you guys who are in the service! (thanks for protecting my ass!) headhuntersix, i remember back in high school some guys who used to do diamond hand push ups. they are definitely good for building the chest and arms. ( i think i'll try some soon!)hey, just curious, are any of you out there strong enough to do a push up with just 1 arm? (I KNOW I AIN'T!!!) to those of you who can, I ENVY YOU!  :(