Author Topic: what's better..training 1 or 2 body parts a day or just upper body then lower?  (Read 4040 times)

G.R.H.

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
dudes, i have read that just working on upper body one day then lower the next is better than one or 2 body parts a day.  what do you giys do? i don't like wasting so much time in the gym with "specifics". (know what i mean?). 

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Do what works for you; IMO doing all upper-body in one workout's too much. I'd either use a 3-day split or combine some uppper with lower in the same workout.

brianX

• Getbig IV
  • Kiwiol has 13" arms!
The upper/lower split is pretty good, as long as you stick to the basics and don't overdo it with too many exercises.
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Some of my better results, as with a lot of people I know, is seperate lower and upper body workouts each week.
An example would be:

monday-upper
wednsday-lower
friday-upper

The following week start with:
monday-lower
wednsday-upper
friday-lower

alternate the beginning of each monday. Keep the exercises to 2 or 3 a muscle group. Keep the workouts short, intense and to the point. Lower & upper bodies are allowed between 3 to 4 days rest before hitting them again. Good Luck.

benchthis

• Getbig V
  • operation deep throat
DO WHAT U LIKE TO DO I LIKE DOIN A 5 DAY LEGS CHEST BACK SHOULDERS ARMS

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
Pretty much doing the same thing as "benchthis". Chest/Shoulders/Back/off/Tri's/legs/off. No bi's for about 4 weeks becuase i think there over trained. I don't include Shrug's which I do with chest. I also hit abs and calves 2-3 times per week. I hit walking lunges on shoulder day. I'm in Afghanisatn so I can't afford to be crippled getting in and out of vehicles. I still only do one main body part per workout week. I think if you are a beginner it helps to do two and as you get more experience you can really just concentrate on one. Nothing is 100% so try it all and see what works, good luck.
L

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
Mmm for me...
one large bodypart a day... and a minor...

my split
monday- chest abs n tris
tuesday- back and bis
wed- legs
thurs- shoulders
fri- arms

Th intensity and volume at which i work out... i find it hard to see how people train.. back and shoulders on the same day...
when i hit a bodypart its DONE...
time to crawl or limp out the gym

choice is an illusion

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
Mmm for me...
one large bodypart a day... and a minor...

my split
monday- chest abs n tris
tuesday- back and bis
wed- legs
thurs- shoulders
fri- arms

Th intensity and volume at which i work out... i find it hard to see how people train.. back and shoulders on the same day...
when i hit a bodypart its DONE...
time to crawl or limp out the gym

I totally agree. I did the whole two body part thing in school but I can't imagine it now. I couldn't even get motivated for that. It's hard enough gauging how much I'll have left for the next exercise let alone a whole other body part.

L

G.R.H.

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
thanks guys! 8)

Cold

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
whatever works for u i guess. working muscles once a week never worked for me. my body responds well to low volume ultra-high frequency. i train all my muscles everyday, 7 days a week, sometimes twice a day. call me krazy, but i know what works for me (i've been lifting for 12 years). experiment  ;D

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Whatever works for you. personally, i like working two main muscle group and some abs and calves throw in at the end.

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
quads

chest and hams

arms

shoulders and traps

back

repeat

calfs every other day
d[-_-]b actin all cool

blondmusclhunk

• Getbig III
No more than one-two body parts a day once a week.  Works  best  for me need that rest period.

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
I got sum nice gains from the Upper lower split idea that JPM suggested above.
I play rugby and its really hard for me if i tatally nail one body part in a session and have it sore for few days after,effects my sport. e.g. if i crush legs then i cant run much,or if i nail shoulders then i struggle to tackle/lift people/hit bags that well.

I train hard in the gym 2 times a week wether its upper or lower day i hit it as hard as possible but dont do as many sets as i would if i was just hitting one body part per workout.

Good luck

davie
It isn't the mountains ah