Author Topic: I'm still getting hyped up by 20 yr old Ronnie footage !  (Read 4185 times)

Fortress

• Getbig V
Re: I'm still getting hyped up by 20 yr old Ronnie footage !
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2021, 03:16:19 PM »
I've often wondered why, when people talk about "mass monsters" from the 90s, Strydom doesn't get mentioned. He was GIGANTIC!!

So was another WBF guy, "The Future" Jim Quinn. Listen to what he had for lunch during a 1991 photo shoot (2:52).

And he was also known for lifting super poundages in the gym.

With Dillet, Strydom had the biggest wheels ever on a “tall” man.

He was a solid 6’2 and simply huge. Just hanging about, without question, Gary was far more impressive than Coleman ever was. And I have hung around both at their respective biggest. Ronnie’s arms were bigger and more garden-hosey, but Strydom was quite simply a TANK.

Gary also was a lot of go with his show (unlike Paul). Not as much in his later years, but when he was building into a beast, he’d squat and move some tremendous poundages.

If he had had a back to match everything else, he would have been a multi-Mr. O winner.

I’ve seen ‘em all, and I can say, Strydom was as impressive a muscleman as I’ve ever seen. He didn’t even diminish to a notable degree standing beside Loutard, in the gym, when Loutard was at his largest (he was roughly 320-330 at the time).

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2021, 03:23:48 PM »
Ronnie (and others) also claimed that he stopped at two reps on some of those 800-lb squats but could have done more.

I'm more impressed with his doing front squats with 585 for 12 reps. It's the monster poundages for double-digit reps that built his physique.

And he was doing that during contest prep. How much more could he do in full off-season more? YIKES!!!

The fact that Big Ron was slinging that kind of weight in contest-mode, when the unwritten rule/provisional wisdom was to train lighter with lots of reps, is what makes many in awe of his training.

Some have wondered how Ronnie leap-frogged over the competition to become Mr. Olympia. After seeing how he trained, they may have found their answer. Shawn Ray once described Ronnie as a "C-level" bodybuilder. He doesn't do that anymore.

That video is about how much food Coleman puts away. All the super-heavies I've seen pack away the groceries.

Check out the chow of World Bodybuilding Federation Champ, Gary Stardom (0:55)

Got into it with him on FB once, he claimed natty in that show as Vince made everyone get tested.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2021, 03:45:05 PM »
Got into it with him on FB once, he claimed natty in that show as Vince made everyone get tested.

Mike Christian and Mike Quinn claimed Strydom was the only one not tested at that 1992 show.

Jim Quinn, Eddie Robinson, and Tony Pearson have gone on record claiming all the WBF guys (Strydom included) were tested.

J. Quinn claimed he and Strydom had size to spare; so when the hammer came down, they showed up smaller but in good shape. Plus, neither of them followed DiPasquale's diet.

They probably has to ease up on the calories a bit, too.

US MUSL

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2021, 03:57:55 PM »
At the time I heard all WBF competitors were tested several times. If they failed the test they wouldn't get their monthly check, but could still compete. Strydom failed the test, lost his monthly salary, but was still the champ.

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2021, 04:05:31 PM »
Mike Christian and Mike Quinn claimed Strydom was the only one not tested at that 1992 show.

Jim Quinn, Eddie Robinson, and Tony Pearson have gone on record claiming all the WBF guys (Strydom included) were tested.

J. Quinn claimed he and Strydom had size to spare; so when the hammer came down, they showed up smaller but in good shape. Plus, neither of them followed DiPasquale's diet.

They probably has to ease up on the calories a bit, too.

Was a guest at DiPasquale’s home (huge) on two occasions, for multi-night stays. He was a very nice man, although I disagreed with some of his thinking re: aspects of our weight-training sports. On one of these occasions Platz was also there; and, on another, Mark Henry.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2021, 04:16:19 PM »
At the time I heard all WBF competitors were tested several times. If they failed the test they wouldn't get their monthly check, but could still compete. Strydom failed the test, lost his monthly salary, but was still the champ.

I never heard of Strydom failing his test. Mike Christian failed his (he said so himself in an interview), which cost him $25,000.

Mike Quinn may have as well. One guy who stated he certainly did NOT fail his...."The Jetman" Tony Pearson (13:35).

The aforementioned 1992 Pearson performance:

And here he is, 28 years later, winning the 2020 AAU Masters Mr. Universe....at age 63:

Was a guest at DiPasquale’s home (huge) on two occasions, for multi-night stays. He was a very nice man, although I disagreed with some of his thinking re: aspects of our weight-training sports. On one of these occasions Platz was also there; and, on another, Mark Henry.

Did you happen to inquire about his controversial high-fat diet?

During the PPV of the 1992 WBF championship, DisPasquale explained how he improved on the IOC's protocol by being able to test for clenbuterol and growth hormone. He also mentioned that, by doing a hormonal profile, he could catch someone using testosterone even if it's not detectable in the urine.

Would that hormonal profile be the testosterone:epitestosterone (T:E) thing? I think it's something like, higher than 6:1 means you're using exogenous testosterone.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2021, 04:57:08 PM »
Going off the rails here, back to Ronnie and the eating..."good ol' chicken"  ;D

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2021, 08:10:38 PM »
Did you happen to inquire about his controversial high-fat diet?

Over a couple days A LOT was discussed, so I honestly cannot remember. But I’d imagine so.

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2021, 03:27:39 AM »
I experienced the exact thing at 20 or after so reading an old Jason mueller article about eating to grow 3 days in body just said fuck it was up being sick several times through night not due to illness just of digestion being fucked up saying no more. Very unpleasant feeling

"Jason Mueller". That's going back a ways. Whatever happened to him? His board kept going even after he was gone. I think he got arrested and spent some time in jail.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #59 on: July 04, 2021, 10:53:46 AM »
MANY bodybuilders have surpassed Ronnie in strength by now.

200 pound dumbell presses? No one cares. 800 deads? Big deal, let's see 900.

pamith

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: July 04, 2021, 05:37:46 PM »

My nikka

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2021, 09:28:08 AM »
"Jason Mueller". That's going back a ways. Whatever happened to him? His board kept going even after he was gone. I think he got arrested and spent some time in jail.

I not sure mate I remember dante who was friends with him in real life made a post years back how like you said he ended up in prison and had a run of bad luck where what few family he had died then went in different direction in life and they lost touch   

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2021, 09:57:25 AM »

Dallas McCarver and Luke Sandoe comes to mind. Both stronger, both also payed the price.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2021, 11:48:53 AM »

How do you know they surpassed Ronnie?

Are there ones doing 200-lb dumbbells for 15-20 reps vs. Ronnie's 12? Are they doing 800-lb deadlifts for double-digit reps vs Ronnie's 2 or 3?

Ronnie did those poundages while prepping for the Olympia (and other shows), in an era where everyone was told to train lighter for contests.

But, he also handled what would be max weights for most IFBB pros/NPC amateurs for at least 10 reps.

Perhaps more people are pushing that kind of iron, based on watching Mr. "Ain't Nuttin' but a Peanut" do his thing.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #64 on: July 05, 2021, 11:50:01 AM »
Dallas McCarver and Luke Sandoe comes to mind. Both stronger, both also payed the price.

Johnnie Jackson is alive and well; so is Stan Efferding. And both are 50+

bhank

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • 2024 NPC Charlotte Cup Champion
« Reply #65 on: July 05, 2021, 12:19:27 PM »
What, pray tell, could possibly motivate a normal person to want to fuck their life up with drugs and enough food at every meal to feed a worthless turd world family of Ethiopians for a year on?

Coleman is a scab on the scrotum of the planet.  He's not the greatest at anything.  I doubt those 72 girls spat out by multiple "wives" of his are his cuz that fuckwit is sterile and has nuts the size of the ones on the last gerbil to escape from Richard Gere's dirtstar.    Coleman for Deadpool. 

Like the Knight in "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" said..."He chose poorly".  Apparently, when it comes to emulating someone, so have you.

Wow you really are a hater Coleman is by far the greatest he would still win today with his build from 20 years ago no one has surpassed him yet

bhank

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: July 05, 2021, 12:20:14 PM »
I believe the topic was Ronnie Coleman footage from 20 years ago.

Nobody is talking about today, when he's obviously both retired and battling spinal injuries.

I find his current videos inspirational the dude doesn't let shit like half a dozen broken metal rods in his back slow him down but yes I agree with all your post about food that follow. I literally just ate an entire 2k calorie dessert after my steak for lunch and 2 chicken biscuit brekafast

bhank

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: July 05, 2021, 12:32:13 PM »
Everyone talking about how Ronnie destroyed his body because he had a few surgeries meanwhile the man is still sporting 20+ vascular guns and training. He is well on his way to a full recovery

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: July 05, 2021, 12:36:24 PM »
Wow you really are a hater Coleman is by far the greatest he would still win today with his build from 20 years ago no one has surpassed him yet

Punctuation, bitch. Use it.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #69 on: July 05, 2021, 01:43:42 PM »

Coleman's a worthless sack of boneless flesh.   And you?  It's a wonder you find time to train and post here what with what surely must  be multiple tours of doodie up Coleman's anus.

He is without a doubt doomed to die and be so dumb he won't realize it for days. 

GymnJuice

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: July 05, 2021, 02:28:04 PM »
Everyone talking about how Ronnie destroyed his body because he had a few surgeries meanwhile the man is still sporting 20+ vascular guns and training. He is well on his way to a full recovery

Yep.  Him and Flex Wheeler will be training legs together.

bhank

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: July 05, 2021, 05:32:58 PM »

They didn't pass his physique

bhank

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: July 05, 2021, 05:33:38 PM »
Coleman's a worthless sack of boneless flesh.   And you?  It's a wonder you find time to train and post here what with what surely must  be multiple tours of doodie up Coleman's anus.

He is without a doubt doomed to die and be so dumb he won't realize it for days.

Let me guess You don't even lift

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #73 on: July 05, 2021, 08:36:28 PM »

Some believe Mamdouh "Big Ramy" Ellsbiay is the freak heir-apparent to Ronnie Coleman.

Chad Nicholls, Ronnie's former and Big Ramy's current coach, claims the reason Ramy finally nailed his condition in 2020 to win the big one is that he and Dennis James kept him on low carbs and two hours of cardio.

Nicholls claimed that Ramy's trainers in Kuwait just wanted to keep him big; so, they kept feeding him and would only drop his calories so far for contest prep.

he has too many flaws to be the next ronnie, and his conditioning where everybody said he "nailed it" at the last olympia was nothing special

E
E

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #74 on: July 05, 2021, 08:51:26 PM »
he has too many flaws to be the next ronnie, and his conditioning where everybody said he "nailed it" at the last olympia was nothing special

E

The one flaw I see is his thighs being too big for his calves (Mike Katz, style).

He has to nail his condition. If he doesn't, smaller dudes with better proportions (Heath, Curry, or Rhoden...if they let him compete) will beat him.

Last year told the story. He was a bit smooth (relatively speaking) at 300 lbs and got beat the Arnold Classic by Dexter Jackson and William Bonac.

He got whipped into "shape" by James and Nicholls; he wins the Olympia.