Author Topic: I'm still getting hyped up by 20 yr old Ronnie footage !  (Read 4203 times)

Fortress

• Getbig V
Re: I'm still getting hyped up by 20 yr old Ronnie footage !
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2021, 09:26:26 AM »
There will never be another Ronnie.  His worth ethic + genetics are an insurmountable combination.

Just a naive comment.

“There will never … “

Yes there will be. 

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2021, 09:43:10 AM »
Just a naive comment.

“There will never … “

Yes there will be. 

Some believe Mamdouh "Big Ramy" Ellsbiay is the freak heir-apparent to Ronnie Coleman.

Chad Nicholls, Ronnie's former and Big Ramy's current coach, claims the reason Ramy finally nailed his condition in 2020 to win the big one is that he and Dennis James kept him on low carbs and two hours of cardio.

Nicholls claimed that Ramy's trainers in Kuwait just wanted to keep him big; so, they kept feeding him and would only drop his calories so far for contest prep.

Tennisballz

• Getbig IV
  • You CANNOT be serious!
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2021, 11:59:16 AM »
In other words, you're bored with the truth. Bodybuilders from the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 2000s, 2010s, and today have preached that same mass gospel. Yet some folks just don't want to learn.

You want to believe you're just a few syringes away from being Mr. Universe. But that ain't the way it rolls.

Virtually ALL of the mass freaks you (and others admire) eat enough groceries to feed a family of 5 on a regular basis.

Just as muscles gradually get stronger and adapt to stress, your digestive system gets more efficient and learns to process more food.

Even guys who take a generous amount of performance-enhancing drugs put on fat, from time to time. How many King-Kamali-bashing threads have there been over the last 10 years, in that regards?

The key word is gradually. You don't just jump from 3000 to 8000 calories per day in one fell swoop. If you're naturally a twig, you're going to have to ramp up your calories significantly to have any hopes of putting on mass.

Will it be all muscle? NO! Not even steroid-using pros/top amateurs can do that. But you mitigate how much fat you put on your body by watching what you eat, eating as little over your maintenance weight as needed to gain weight, and vary your calories based on your activity level.

To borrow a Ronnie-ism, "Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder; but don't nobody wanna eat no heavy-@$$ food!!"
Wow this is really good info....I’m gonna write it all down in my journal.  Thanks.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2021, 05:08:34 PM »
Coleman was the biggest pile of shit on the plate. And what just loves shit?

Flies.

Flock to it, Brundleboys. 

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2021, 05:37:03 PM »
If ronnie only trained abs with the same enthusiasm as everything else, his back would be fine
A

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2021, 06:11:21 PM »
Im bored shitless with the "eat ,eat .eat" bullshit these fuckwits keep coming out with.
99.999% of people will just end up fat fat fat.

If you keep eating until you are stuffed then after three days your digestive system will be so overloaded you will just shut down
Most peoples digestive systems cannot handle heavy amounts of food day in day out, cycling calories is the only way to eat more food switching from a high day and working around upping and lowering calories.
Dr. "Squat" aka Fred Hatfield wrote a very good article on cycling calories.....Google it if interested.............. .it`s a good read.

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2021, 08:16:08 PM »

Some believe Mamdouh "Big Ramy" Ellsbiay is the freak heir-apparent to Ronnie Coleman.

Chad Nicholls, Ronnie's former and Big Ramy's current coach, claims the reason Ramy finally nailed his condition in 2020 to win the big one is that he and Dennis James kept him on low carbs and two hours of cardio.

Nicholls claimed that Ramy's trainers in Kuwait just wanted to keep him big; so, they kept feeding him and would only drop his calories so far for contest prep.

It's kind of ironic that bbers in one sense live a very healthy lifestyle. They do resistant training, cardio, don't eat junk food, and make sure to get enough sleep -- all the things that you would think would optimize good health -- yet they are probably one of the most unhealthy athletes of any sport.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2021, 08:28:35 PM »
Well, athletes have a higher caloric intake, it is what it is. What do you think a professional swimmer or track and field athlete stuffs into himself on a daily basis...? Probably not much less than a Mr. Olympia contender.

I don't think that is the case. An athlete eats far more than the average person because all that activity makes him more hungry. I doubt Micheal Phelps forced himself to the point of nausea, where eating becomes a chore. Even Jay has commented that he grew sick of food and eating and one of the best things about being retired is not having to get up in the middle of the night just to eat. I don't think any other athlete in any sport has to do that.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2021, 08:31:54 PM »
We are to a point. But, why would you have an issue with the concept of his increasing calories gradually to the point where he eats the volume seen in that footage?

You could argue the that half of amount of food that Ronnie ate in that video would have stuffed him 10 years earlier.

Yes, and joswift is right that all you have to do is look at your body to determine whether you are eating too much. When you look at Ronnie it is obvious that he is not eating too much. Even off season he is not fat. He is holding water but you can still see abs and not the flab you see on the vast majority of the population that only eat a fraction of what he eats.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2021, 08:34:56 PM »
I don't think Ronnie Coleman woke up in the middle of the night to eat. If he ate in the middle of the night, it was because of his schedule when he worked as a cop. Some of his shifts were 2pm to 10pm one something like that.

Actually, like Jay, he did say that in one of his interviews. I don't have the link and it's not worth it for me to look it up because regardless he had to eat a ton of food. Remember on the Rogan show how he said it took, "A lot of eating. A LOT."

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2021, 10:01:11 PM »
Actually, like Jay, he did say that in one of his interviews. I don't have the link and it's not worth it for me to look it up because regardless he had to eat a ton of food. Remember on the Rogan show how he said it took, "A lot of eating. A LOT."

It's possible he started doing that when he stopped working full-time as a cop (maybe I have a quote of his in one of my magazines in the garage, regarding that).

I just figured he ate in the middle of the night because of his weird police work schedule.

It's kind of ironic that bbers in one sense live a very healthy lifestyle. They do resistant training, cardio, don't eat junk food, and make sure to get enough sleep -- all the things that you would think would optimize good health -- yet they are probably one of the most unhealthy athletes of any sport.

It could be that they go too far to the extreme. For a few months, they do cardio, don't eat junk food, get enough sleep, etc.

But, the second the contest is over, they get buck wild. They eat everything that ain't nailed down; say "To HELL with cardio", and party themselves silly.

Some have been known to get porcine in the off-season. Then, they attempt to slice off all the blubber in 3 months.

Back to our current Mr. O, Nicholls claimed they starved him and cardio him nearly to death, to get him in shape for that show.

Wasn't he three bills at the ASC, where he lost to Jackson and Bonac?

bigkid

• Getbig IV
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2021, 03:55:47 AM »
Just a naive comment.

“There will never … “

Yes there will be.
No, there won't.  His heavy training, that no one does anymore paired with his genetics and work ethic.  It ain't happening again.  Sorry if you have a difference of opinion.

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2021, 09:02:51 AM »
No, there won't.  His heavy training, that no one does anymore paired with his genetics and work ethic.  It ain't happening again.  Sorry if you have a difference of opinion.

To believe he’s the only one who champions heavy lifting is beyond ridiculous. So, too, that his genetics will never again be witnessed, or that his intense workouts repeated.

Heck, my work ethic matches his. Easy. And in 35 years in gym culture, I’ve seen MANY others’ that have, too. Dedication and effort are in no short supply.

Every generation has that one athlete, musician, whomever, that is thought will never be repeated.

There are eight billion on this planet. Soon to be replaced with another 10 billion.

Get real.

The next is right around the corner.

bigkid

• Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2021, 09:18:13 AM »
To believe he’s the only one who champions heavy lifting is beyond ridiculous. So, too, that his genetics will never again be witnessed, or that his intense workouts repeated.

Heck, my work ethic matches his. Easy. And in 35 years in gym culture, I’ve seen MANY others’ that have, too. Dedication and effort are in no short supply.

Every generation has that one athlete, musician, whomever, that is thought will never be repeated.

There are eight billion on this planet. Soon to be replaced with another 10 billion.

Get real.

The next is right around the corner.
You know a lot of pro bbers Corner rowing 540 lbs?  Squating and deading 800?  DB benching 200's for 12?  Like I said before, his combination of genetics, heavy training and work ethic will never be bested.  It destroyed his body.  No one is doing that again. There's no one close to his size and muscle quality.

pamith

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2021, 09:38:35 AM »
He's not 20 there

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2021, 09:54:37 AM »
You know a lot of pro bbers Corner rowing 540 lbs?  Squating and deading 800?  DB benching 200's for 12?  Like I said before, his combination of genetics, heavy training and work ethic will never be bested.  It destroyed his body.  No one is doing that again. There's no one close to his size and muscle quality.

The late Greg Kovacs was a BEAST. But, after he turned pro, it all went downhill. MuscleTech kept hyping him to compete at 325 ripped for the 1997 Night of Champions. He weighed 318 and was quite smooth.

We never really heard (or saw) Ronnie's feats of strength, until he became Mr. Olympia. Then the hype started moving away from Dorian Yates' modified Heavy-Duty-style-beyond-failure training to Ronnie Coleman's straight-up lifting everything-that-ain't-nailed-down poundages.

Kevin Levrone was no slouch in the strength department either. Per his account, he tore his pec in the early 90s benching 600.

And let's not forget Johnnie Jackson, who is a legitimate powerlifter. He won a deadlifting meet, nailing over 800 mere weeks before he won the NPC Nationals and turned pro.

These guys may not be Ronnie-Coleman strong. But, they're up there. As for destroying his body, Coleman claims nagging injuries from football are what led to his current issues.

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2021, 10:49:22 AM »

Ronnie himself said he didn’t regularly lift the poundage he did in the infamous video. And, yes, there are plenty of serious weight trainers of all types who’re capable of hoisting what he did. That dead guy, Dallas, could easily out-dead Coleman, and MANY can out-press him, too. Levrone is a gifted presser, who, when fully gassed and in his prime, could have bar pressed Ron into oblivion.

For his size, Shawn Ray was easily his equal squatting. Each decade is littered with bodybuilders who perform miraculous feats of strength. Platz was possibly the greatest “pure” bodybuilding/Olympic-style squatter ever witnessed. Dorian, renowned for FAR better technique, could lift, relative to said technique, comparable poundages. Especially in pulling exercises.

A guy like Mike Francois was capable of rising to the top in powerlifting, forget his bodybuilding, if he had chosen to.

You keep talking about “work ethic”. Dedication to incredibly intense weight training and eating is not rare. Not in the least.

And muscle quality? Ronnie’s wasn’t a rarity in top-tier bodybuilding.

There are PLENTY close to his size. Don’t be so ridiculous. Many said we’d never see again the size and quality of Lee Haney. Same was said about Arnold. And his work ethic.

All different physiques. But all ahead of the pack in their time.

One more thing. Ronnie wrecked his body because he pushed its structural integrity beyond its breaking point. Nothing more or less. 

To think Ronnie was the ONLY man with incredible bodybuilding genetics (in all its permutations) who was an incredibly intense weight trainer out of BILLIONS, with billions more coming, is utterly stupid beyond belief.

It’s like all the Buddy-Rich-was-the-greatest-drummer-and-no-one-will-ever-be-as-good fools.

BILLIONS of people, and, barring mankind’s extinction, centuries of time.

I’m done. This is entirely ridiculous to argue.

You’re not going to change your mind because you are either still too young to comprehend reality or you’re frankly not up to snuff, intellectually, for me to waste time.

Best of luck.

pamith

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2021, 10:58:54 AM »
Ronnie himself said he didn’t regularly lift the poundage he did in the infamous video. And, yes, there are plenty of serious weight trainers of all types who’re capable of hoisting what he did. That dead guy, Dallas, could easily out-dead Coleman, and MANY can out-press him, too. Levrone is a gifted presser, who, when fully gassed and in his prime, could have bar pressed Ron into oblivion.

For his size, Shawn Ray was easily his equal squatting. Each decade is littered with bodybuilders who perform miraculous feats of strength. Platz was possibly the greatest “pure” bodybuilding/Olympic-style squatter ever witnessed. Dorian, renowned for FAR better technique, could lift, relative to said technique, comparable poundages. Especially in pulling exercises.

A guy like Mike Francois was capable of rising to the top in powerlifting, forget his bodybuilding, if he had chosen to.

You keep talking about “work ethic”. Dedication to incredibly intense weight training and eating is not rare. Not in the least.

There are PLENTY close to his size. Don’t be so ridiculous. Many said we’d never see again the size and quality of Lee Haney. Same was said about Arnold. And his work ethic.

One more thing. Ronnie wrecked his body because he pushed its structural integrity beyond its breaking point. Nothing more or less.
Tbh the only one that I think beats Ronnie is Branch Warren

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2021, 10:59:48 AM »
Im bored shitless with the "eat ,eat .eat" bullshit these fuckwits keep coming out with.
99.999% of people will just end up fat fat fat.

If you keep eating until you are stuffed then after three days your digestive system will be so overloaded you will just shut down
Most peoples digestive systems cannot handle heavy amounts of food day in day out, cycling calories is the only way to eat more food switching from a high day and working around upping and lowering calories.

I experienced the exact thing at 20 or after so reading an old Jason mueller article about eating to grow 3 days in body just said fuck it was up being sick several times through night not due to illness just of digestion being fucked up saying no more. Very unpleasant feeling

pamith

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2021, 11:03:53 AM »
If you wanna grow you gotta eat like a freaking pig

bigkid

• Getbig IV
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2021, 11:25:09 AM »

To think Ronnie was the ONLY man with incredible bodybuilding genetics (in all its permutations) who was an incredibly intense weight trainer out of BILLIONS, with billions more coming, is utterly stupid beyond belief.

It’s like all the Buddy-Rich-was-the-greatest-drummer-and-no-one-will-ever-be-as-good fools.

You’re not going to change your mind because you are either still too young to comprehend reality or you’re frankly not up to snuff, intellectually, for me to waste time.

Best of luck.
This post is littered with inaccuracies.  The only true statement is about Dallas and how did that workout?  He didn't have Ronnie's genes so he made up for it with drugs and put himself in the grave.  I think you're still living in the 90's flex magazine days before we could see what guys were actually lifting. You seem to be relying on chris lund photoshoots for you strength numbers. Your bodybuilding knowledge also seems extremely dated. You make up for it with what i'm sure is an extremely unjustified ego and poor reading comprehension.  I'm done talking to some nobody who probably isn't even a has been.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2021, 12:58:08 PM »

Best of luck.

Ronnie (and others) also claimed that he stopped at two reps on some of those 800-lb squats but could have done more.

I'm more impressed with his doing front squats with 585 for 12 reps. It's the monster poundages for double-digit reps that built his physique.

And he was doing that during contest prep. How much more could he do in full off-season more? YIKES!!!

The fact that Big Ron was slinging that kind of weight in contest-mode, when the unwritten rule/provisional wisdom was to train lighter with lots of reps, is what makes many in awe of his training.

Some have wondered how Ronnie leap-frogged over the competition to become Mr. Olympia. After seeing how he trained, they may have found their answer. Shawn Ray once described Ronnie as a "C-level" bodybuilder. He doesn't do that anymore.

That video is about how much food Coleman puts away. All the super-heavies I've seen pack away the groceries.

Check out the chow of World Bodybuilding Federation Champ, Gary Strydom (0:55)

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2021, 01:09:12 PM »
Ronnie (and others) also claimed that he stopped at two reps on some of those 800-lb squats but could have done more.

I'm more impressed with his doing front squats with 585 for 12 reps. It's the monster poundages for double-digit reps that built his physique.

And he was doing that during contest prep. How much more could he do in full off-season more? YIKES!!!

The fact that Big Ron was slinging that kind of weight in contest-mode, when the unwritten rule/provisional wisdom was to train lighter with lots of reps, is what makes many in awe of his training.

Some have wondered how Ronnie leap-frogged over the competition to become Mr. Olympia. After seeing how he trained, they may have found their answer. Shawn Ray once described Ronnie as a "C-level" bodybuilder. He doesn't do that anymore.

That video is about how much food Coleman puts away. All the super-heavies I've seen pack away the groceries.

Check out the chow of World Bodybuilding Federation Champ, Gary Stardom (0:55)

Many pros have told me they’re dramatically stronger pre-contest, because their use is considerably greater. What I’ve been told.

And as far as Strydom, I ate meals with him when he was at his biggest, a hard 285, in the early nineties. No exaggeration, the man consumed three or four times what I did.

PLATEFULS of food. Several.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2021, 01:54:13 PM »
Many pros have told me they’re dramatically stronger pre-contest, because their use is considerably greater. What I’ve been told.

And as far as Strydom, I ate meals with him when he was at his biggest, a hard 285, in the early nineties. No exaggeration, the man consumed three or four times what I did.

PLATEFULS of food. Several.

I've often wondered why, when people talk about "mass monsters" from the 90s, Strydom doesn't get mentioned. He was GIGANTIC!!

So was another WBF guy, "The Future" Jim Quinn. Listen to what he had for lunch during a 1991 photo shoot (2:52).

And he was also known for lifting super poundages in the gym.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2021, 02:44:33 PM »
If you wanna grow you gotta eat like a freaking pig

A lot of the old timers didn't stuff themselves, per se, because they ate a lot of fat in their weight-gaining diet.....usually in the form of whole milk, heavy cream, and whole eggs.

This was especially true for the super-skinny guys, i.e. the first Mr. O, Larry Scott and Don "Duke of Deltoids" Howorth.