Author Topic: Personal Trainer Info  (Read 3422 times)

swatranger

• Getbig I
Personal Trainer Info
« on: April 23, 2006, 03:18:06 PM »
What up Bro's?!  I am living here in Idaho Falls Idaho. I was just approached by a guy in my community who is opening a 24 Hour gym in August and wanted me to be the full time Personal Trainer in his gym. I have always wanted to do this and I plan to jump all over this chance. I am doing my first show in October of this year and I think this would benefit me greatly. My question that I need some help on is: Does anyone know what my rates should be for the sessions. I think that I will have several clients and I know that they will keep coming after my name gets out in the community so I don't want to kill people on the prices. Also, it is going to be too hard to take on this and then another full time job. I have been a police officer since I got out of the Army in 1997 and if I am going to take this on full time and stop being a cop then I want to know if it is going to be something that I can afford to raise my family on and get into a home soon. Thanks for any help you all can give.   TRAIN INSANE!!!!!!!!!

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
Re: Personal Trainer Info
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 09:42:49 PM »
Good question. My wife is in the same boat. She's a Medical assistant but finished her certification and wants to both compete and and train people We live in a small town just outside FT Riley, Ks where I'm stationed. I have tried to talk her out of "working" for a gym. I told her,  based on poking around and talking to people, that she should incoporate herself. So  maybe you should become "Swatranger Personel training". Figure out a deal with the gym or gyms in your area and work as a separate entity in each. If there is only one you can still do the same thing. This will allow you to market yourself and grow a business instead of growing just the gym. Set up a web site, sell tshirts and supps. Monster Muscle.com will allow you to print Tshirst with your logo etc . I think you can do the same with House of pain.com. BB.com has some articles on starting up a business. You should be able to use your GI Bill small business loan allowance to get you going. Once you start hitting the contest this should help get you name out. To many trainers look like crap. If your competeing you should do well. As far as price. Maybe 20 an hour but maybe you should charge based on what you will be doing for them. Hopefully somebody else will jump in here and hlep you out. Some guy who wants to loose 20lbs doesn't need the same amount of your time as soemone who's training for a contest etc. As a fellow soldier, don't leave your family hanging bro, do it part time and then grow your business, maybe no overtime as you grow the business. Keep your accounts separate so your protected. I'd love to hear how this turns out. Once your up and running i'lll get my wife to link your site. Have a good one.
L

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 02:30:37 AM »
Iv been thinking of getting my certificate over here in the uk, i was told the starting pay is about £30 which over the america is roughly $45/50 i think.

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

Bigger Business

• Getbig V
  • FKN Gym Wear
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 03:42:10 AM »
Your own personal training business is always hard...but when you say he wants you to be his full time trainer doesnt that mean youre an employee though?

Also if you have a family.......you may want to consider the benefits the police force offers as apposed to operating your own entity.

$40- 50 bux is standard pricing for a newbie..........and offer incentive discount packages

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 08:14:24 AM »
Your own business is always hard...but when you say he wants you to be his full time trainer doesnt that mean youre an employee though?

Also if you have a family.......you may want to consider the benefits the police force offers as apposed to operating your own entity.

$40- 50 bux is standard pricing for a newbie..........and offer incentive discount packages

Hey "swat' listen to this guy. As far as price. it will be driven by the area. We're in Kansas and not near KC so it's a little different. Good Luck
L

swatranger

• Getbig I
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 08:44:02 AM »
Thanks fellows for the comments. I have been an officer for a while now but I have always wanted to be a trainer and I know that I would be an awesome one due to my desire to always want to train hard. The benefits with taking on this endeavour instead of continuing on with being a cop is so much better for me and the family. The stress for my wife with me not being a cop any longer and also my children out weighs the benefit of being one. The money is also a major part of it. I am sure many of you know that being a cop is not that profitable unless you are a dirty one and that ain't happening!!!

The owner of the gym is letting me do this as my own business. I will not be an employee of the gym or him. I will be the gym's only trainer though and he said that I can set my own rates. I plan to charge between $45-$50 an hour. This is going to be a 24 hour gym. Any more advice is greatly appreciated.

blondmusclhunk

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2006, 09:22:04 AM »
Make sure you become certified first!!!  Just to protect yourself legally.  Also the going rate depends on where you live.  $50.00 in the US is on the low end 60-80 is the typical amount for a regular trainer.  If your good and you are in demand $100 would be a going rate, but were talking like celebrity trainers here. 

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2006, 09:37:11 AM »
Make sure you become certified first!!!  Just to protect yourself legally.  Also the going rate depends on where you live.  $50.00 in the US is on the low end 60-80 is the typical amount for a regular trainer.  If your good and you are in demand $100 would be a going rate, but were talking like celebrity trainers here. 

It is possible, granted very difficult, to command those rates just as a 'normal trainer'.

Just takes time [quite alot] and superior customer service/satisfaction.

swatranger

• Getbig I
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2006, 09:39:07 AM »
Cool! Yeah, I am going through ISSA for my certification. The gym is opening in August so I have until then to get certified. I say this humbly, but I know I will be a great trainer. I am 6'2" 280lbs and not fat at all. I train insane and heavy and I believe in intensity and nothing else. There is really only one other trainer in the city that has made a name for himself and he works for Worlds Gym. He is not employed for himself. I am anticipating a good outcome with this.

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2006, 09:41:56 AM »
Check out the Z board, just started but it is for trainers/owners etc There is a bit of info there already.

swatranger

• Getbig I
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2006, 09:44:35 AM »
Cool, I am checking it out right now. Thanks Bro!!!

blondmusclhunk

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2006, 09:31:03 AM »
Good luck dude looks like your headed in the right direction!!!!

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2006, 10:19:56 AM »
Cool! Yeah, I am going through ISSA for my certification. The gym is opening in August so I have until then to get certified. I say this humbly, but I know I will be a great trainer. I am 6'2" 280lbs and not fat at all. I train insane and heavy and I believe in intensity and nothing else. There is really only one other trainer in the city that has made a name for himself and he works for Worlds Gym. He is not employed for himself. I am anticipating a good outcome with this.

see right there is the problem you think you will have people with your drive and desire and body want to have you train them but really the main group of people who have trainers are the lazy and fat and you spend more time saying "come on push yourself" than ever spotting them with anything heavier than 10 lb dumbells and a stupid weighted ball.then you get worn out being somebodys lackey and weight boy and only sometimes get to some job perks like banging some milf.stop now and get a real job and work out for yourself and fuck the rich lazy weighted ball using treadmill hogging frump a dumps.

swatranger

• Getbig I
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2006, 12:15:44 PM »
ALWAYS SORE!!

I guess that means that you don't know how to train since you are ALWAYS SORE!! I also don't need your SORE attitude. The fat and out of shape people that are in the gym attempting to change what they look like and feel like, are alot of  the time more impressive then individuals with your attitude who think that they are put together well and who walk around the gym like they own it. Just by your comments, you are surely one of those boys who I love to see in the gym walking like their LATS are swole when they aren't. I would love to have you come into my area so I can show you how out of shape and weak you probably are. Now I know you probably are sitting there right now wondering how bad you are going to sound when you reply to this post, so let me have it so you can show it to your boys or girlfriend and sound hard!!!!

Peace!!!!! 

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2006, 12:40:24 PM »
ALWAYS SORE!!

I guess that means that you don't know how to train since you are ALWAYS SORE!! I also don't need your SORE attitude. The fat and out of shape people that are in the gym attempting to change what they look like and feel like, are alot of  the time more impressive then individuals with your attitude who think that they are put together well and who walk around the gym like they own it. Just by your comments, you are surely one of those boys who I love to see in the gym walking like their LATS are swole when they aren't. I would love to have you come into my area so I can show you how out of shape and weak you probably are. Now I know you probably are sitting there right now wondering how bad you are going to sound when you reply to this post, so let me have it so you can show it to your boys or girlfriend and sound hard!!!!

Peace!!!!! 

see there is the future of customer service, my point (i guess i have to draw a map) is that you work hard and are in great shape but the job you are chasing is shitty.if you spend any time in gyms (again i do not know how you can miss it) most of the trainers are bitter about always working with slugs and not happy since (again i will slow down) the more money they can make is in direct correlation to the bigger assclowns they have to deal with. if your happy working with people that bareley work out, need someone to hold there hand and quit if your to hard on them, and you spend more time tracking bad check writers and assclowns that do not show for appointments or do not call to let you know there quitting then its the job for you. nobody and i will agian slow down for you nobody who needs or uses a trainer ...train hard or intense thats why ...they need a trainer. and when you do have the rare person you help and get into great shape do they thank you....no they stop paying you and go into there own training business and now take your clients....

as for me i have along time ago learned what i am telling you and now worry only about myself and no i don't walk around like a asshole if you ever read anything i write i am the nicest most easy going helpfull person in the gym, see customer service skills, but outside the gym i tend to be a asshole and sometime on the boards when i am killing time (see lately) at a real job i can come off as a jerk, oh well such is life.

"youth is really wasted on the young" to be dumb and 19 again and think i know everything...

oh and i forgot thank you for insulting me after i complemented you on your hard work and effort you put in your own body, if you look twice as good as i do at my age(ha ha ) and are in as good of shape as i am then you really have trained someone worthwhile.

p.s.s. i should of known someone in the army has a problem with reading..

semper fi.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2006, 11:36:24 PM »
The Army can't read, ok bro. And before you get all spun up. I'm a former Marine as well, 0311  at that. I'm an active Army officer but I'm pretty sure I can read.
Now I'm not to fired up about swat ranger quiting his job but if thats whats gonna make him happy. I suggetsed in a previous post that he should form his own company so the gym can't assign him the slugs you mention.

For about 3 months before I got commsioned and after I had finished school i worked at GNC. A woman I worked with had her own PT company with another guy. He was an BB and had done a few contests. Big guy. Anyway most of the people they trained were not slugs. They worked out of several gyms but most of their clients came from Golds. She charged a few hundred dollars per 6 week cycle. They seemed to get good results. She aslo did real estate and several other things. Swat you may want to have a few rods in the fire if you try this full time. This was outside Boston on the coast. I'm not sure what you could do where your at.

Always sore, go easy man.
L

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2006, 04:48:33 AM »
The Army can't read, ok bro. And before you get all spun up. I'm a former Marine as well, 0311  at that. I'm an active Army officer but I'm pretty sure I can read.
Now I'm not to fired up about swat ranger quiting his job but if thats whats gonna make him happy. I suggetsed in a previous post that he should form his own company so the gym can't assign him the slugs you mention.

For about 3 months before I got commsioned and after I had finished school i worked at GNC. A woman I worked with had her own PT company with another guy. He was an BB and had done a few contests. Big guy. Anyway most of the people they trained were not slugs. They worked out of several gyms but most of their clients came from Golds. She charged a few hundred dollars per 6 week cycle. They seemed to get good results. She aslo did real estate and several other things. Swat you may want to have a few rods in the fire if you try this full time. This was outside Boston on the coast. I'm not sure what you could do where your at.

Always sore, go easy man.

GRUNT BROTHERHOOD 0311 also. swag and i talked no problems my point is same as yours in a different way, its a hard line of work, not super steady more like working car sales where its feast or famine.plus for a bright and in shape guy with both a army and police background he could make a much better living in homeland security than personel training, and i agree its much much better to be independent and not be locked into just one site.throw in he lives in idaho as opposed to CA or NY or FL make it much harder to find people who have extra income and desire the lifestyle.

but i concede if you really love hanging in the gym and are willing to make the commitment and fight uphill allot of the time then good luck.

semper fi

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2006, 07:37:19 AM »
OK, "Always Sore" brought up a good point. There are plenty of Federal Jobs to be had with your background. I guess your also trying to keep the wife from woring abouty you and spending  more time with the kids. If she doesn't mind you being gone you may want to get on the Iraq/Afganistan bandwagon. I'm in Afghanistan right now and the contractors are making a killing. The Black Water/Triple canopy guys make 1-2 hundred grand per 6 month contract. They have a Police mentor program that works the same way. Some guys work in groups on the border with the Afghan National Police while they have this one older guy from the Phili PD who's the sheriff of his own town. Drives around in this big jacked up armored Ford Excursion. The point is there is plenty of money to be made in 6-12 months over here, You can still get certified in many PT areas and also pay for your house. I'm worried you'll leave a good thing with the PD. No health care with little kids sucks bro.

Hey " always sore" Semper fi till ya die" 
L

swatranger

• Getbig I
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2006, 09:25:31 AM »
Bro's, I really appreciate all the comments and help you guys are givin me. I finally met with the owner of the gym yesterday and here is what the deal is.....

In regards to the Police profession. I have been an officer since 1999 and loved every minute of it. Yes, the wife is going to love the change of scenery for the family. I was an officer in Las Vegas and Tennessee and have been in several hostile calls so my wife is happy that my life will be in better safety. I just moved to Idaho four months ago and the departments only test here in Idaho once a year. So, I am not working for a department right now. I know alot of you thought that I would be leaving a department and going into personal training. No. I am not working at all right now. I also had to cash out my retirement for the move and living expenses so I am back at square one with everything. My family and I are living with my in-laws also and that sucks!!! I was going to do the DYNCORP (Police Mission) in Iraq and even completed all the paperwork and had a mission date. My wife and I started to have problems in our marriage because she was not crazy about me being deployed for a year and my family is ALOT more important then $$$$$ such as I know everyone else's is also.

Now check this out and let me know what you all think about this set up. The gym open's August 1st. The owner is not making me an employee of the gym. It will be my own personal business and the only connections with the gym is that I will pay him $400 a month to use the gym for my training. He is not allowing any other trainers in the gym. I am the only trainer the members have access to while they are members in the gym. I get to set my own rates and I pick my own clients. The gym does not regulate anything with my business. It is a 24 hour facility so I have all day to train clients. He has purchased the rights to be the only one to put a (Anytime Fitness) in Southeast Idaho and he is already making plans to open 5 more in Southeast Idaho. He is letting me be the trainer for all his facilites and when I feel I need help, it is up to me to subcontract out and hire trainers for the other gyms. I have checked with the other trainers in the area and all of them are employees of the gyms they work for. None are their own bosses. The trainer at Worlds gym pays the gym $1500 a month for being there. I think this is going to go well for me. Let me know what's up!!!               Train Insane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2006, 09:47:56 AM »
I would have the following questions,

1. do you have to sign a contract to pay him your 400 nut regardless of how he is selling his end?
2. with his expansion plan does he have partners that could come in and change things on you.
3. as a independent what are the costs for insurance since he can claim anyone your working with that gets hurt and sues is your fault and not under his insurance.
4. have you gotten the cost structure for setting yourself up a inde business so you can keep your personel assets out of the line in the event somebody sues.
5.does the owner have the capital to make expansions
6. what is the per capita income level of the area you will be working?
7. how many clients and at what fee structure is you break even point?
8. are there other gyms (franchised big name) either in your area or that could put pressure on your client base.
9. as a sole propriotor what happens if you are injured and need time off who will cover your monthly nut?

10.how much time do you see yourself investing and when doing the math with your break even point is it a good investment.

11. is there any bonus or commission for you for anybody you bring to the table for the gym?

12. what are the gyms short term market analsis for prospects and when they reach there threshold or break even point.

13 does the owner have experence

14 banking considerations for your new company

15. time away from family since allot of clients will want to train in the evening or early morning.

just to name a few :)

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2006, 11:18:16 PM »
All good points #4 is huge as well as #3. Whats your plan for your own medical insurance. AS. Can he pay someone to do a market research study or I guess he could look at the one the guy used when he bought the "Anytime Fitness". The problem is he has a chance to dominate the market and make some money. Your going to need to hire people to cover all that ground. A female would be huge so as to diversfy the busniess. My wife is currently concentrating on more certifications dealing with strength and power training so she can train men as well. You may want to do the reverse. You could also look at working as a strength and conditioning coach in th local high schools. This would enlarge your potential customer base.

I'd hire an accountant and see if you can go through this guys' books. All AS's points near the bottom could be taken care of if you can do this.
L

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2006, 05:08:48 AM »
All good points #4 is huge as well as #3. Whats your plan for your own medical insurance. AS. Can he pay someone to do a market research study or I guess he could look at the one the guy used when he bought the "Anytime Fitness". The problem is he has a chance to dominate the market and make some money. Your going to need to hire people to cover all that ground. A female would be huge so as to diversfy the busniess. My wife is currently concentrating on more certifications dealing with strength and power training so she can train men as well. You may want to do the reverse. You could also look at working as a strength and conditioning coach in th local high schools. This would enlarge your potential customer base.

I'd hire an accountant and see if you can go through this guys' books. All AS's points near the bottom could be taken care of if you can do this.

1st  GO EAGLES sorry HHS saw your a pats fan and i still am bitter over out superbowl loss.

This could be a good chance with a new gym in a undeveloped area but its going to take both time and some sort of capital to cover cost of expansion.SWAT may have to work 2 or 3 jobs for a few months to get it up and running.

I would go to the liberary or internet to first set up a DBA (doing business as) lic and get a tax id and start the process to set up a seperate legal intentity to keep personal and private seperate, then get a accountant (or somebody you trust) to help with both setting up a banking connection (business account/money market/line of credit) and approach the owner to help with the setup of the gym as both a option to become a minority stockholder (locks you in with the owner so he cannot just replace you if you have a fight) and to put you on a weekly or bi weekly draw to help with your cost and time invested.

you will need a lawyer to set up the actual business so as you bring people on they are inde also even though you will need to come up with a bonus/commision and rights structor as well as a non compete clause for at least 6 month upon termination, so you get paid a % of each person they train.

You will also need to get with a printing firm to set up a relationship for promotional and advertising material (do not pay upfront if possiable get a business line of credit and use leasing (able to write off interest on taxes whole different story) to get the stuff you need or better have the gym owner do it and either lease what you need or pay a % back to him as you get it up and running.never use your personal account to make any purchest since that could cause a problem of mixing money (legal issue).

Also try to make any purchess you might need thru your business (car) since you can lease a car for the company and it can be taxed on the companys books and not you and your wifes personal taxes, plus there are ways that you can take less of a salary so your business has balance and your get money back from the irs since your in a lower tax bracket but thats another post.

When you get big and successfull i will look for a big check in the mail for all the advice :)

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2006, 06:46:24 AM »
Yeah AS, good luck in the draft.

Swat don't forget your VA small business loan allowance and I think they provide help with financial planning and some of the other stuff that AS mentioned.
L

swatranger

• Getbig I
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2006, 10:16:12 AM »
Fellows, You guys will never know how much you are helping me out. I had no idea of all the things that you have to do. All I was thinking about was training!!! Everything that you guys have typed, I have printed out and am presenting the concerns to the owner. I give you guys props about knowing your info. Thanks and keep it  coming.

S.W.A.T.