Author Topic: Serious question...  (Read 1247 times)

JamieX4200

• Getbig IV
Serious question...
« on: April 25, 2006, 04:42:28 PM »
does being in the sun or going to a tanning bed drain energy..?  i laid for 15 minutes came home and worked out and felt weak as hell... normally nothing like that has happend before, i feel it was the tanning bed.  any input would be great..

thanks,
jamie
grundle has no sack,

Beener

• Getbig IV
Re: Serious question...
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 05:38:17 PM »
Ya last weekend i layed in the sun for like two hours...got a good tan. then had a shower and went to the gym. i almost blacked out a couple times  ::)

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 05:43:40 PM »
Definitely takes away energy. Stay away from tanning beds completely, they're a recipe for skin cancer. Work out before you go in the sun or keep the exposure down: I find I only need about 20 minutes in the sun during peak hours 11-2 pm, to maintain or build a tan, which also mitigates any damage the sun causes.

There is an unrecognized epidemic of skin cancer underway in the United States, the American Academy of Dermatology warns.

Basal and squamous cell carcinomas, the most common and treatable types of skin cancers, had long been considered a problem only for people over 50, according to the report. But Mayo Clinic researchers found that the percentage of women under 40 with the more common type, basal cell, tripled between 1976 and 2003, while the rate of squamous cell cancers increased four-fold.

In the same study, the researchers found that just 60% of the cancers they identified occurred on skin frequently exposed to the sun, such as the head and neck, rather than the normal 90%. Most of the remaining cancers were seen on the torso. The researchers suspect this may be due to more widespread use of tanning beds.

Two types of ultraviolet (UV) light are implicated in skin cancers, the article explains. UVA, which penetrates deeper into the skin and impairs its immune defenses, is more responsible for melanoma, the most deadly type of skin cancer. UVB exposure causes sunburn, as well as squamous and basal cell skin cancers.

Tanning beds chiefly release UVA, although some also use UVB. According to the Mayo Clinic report, "occasional yet intense UVA exposure poses a greater risk of melanoma skin cancer than does spending long hours in the sun."

JamieX4200

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 05:48:44 PM »
thanks,
grundle has no sack,