Author Topic: Your relationship with alcohol  (Read 8591 times)

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
Re: Your relationship with alcohol
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2022, 06:09:24 AM »
i would regularly drink 8 to 10 5.9% alc beer, fantastic buzz got items work done, 50 50 chance id feel like shit after and would need an extra hour or two of sleep. After consecutive days of this the after effects arent fun to battle even though sometimes u cure the head ache with a few bananas

Havent drank in a couple weeks i cant sleep a full 8 usually 6 or 7

Great topic drinking is tricky and can help and hurt
A

JackTheRipper

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2022, 06:13:55 AM »
i would regularly drink 8 to 10 5.9% alc beer, fantastic buzz got items work done, 50 50 chance id feel like shit after and would need an extra hour or two of sleep. After consecutive days of this the after effects arent fun to battle even though sometimes u cure the head ache with a few bananas

Havent drank in a couple weeks i cant sleep a full 8 usually 6 or 7

Great topic drinking is tricky and can help and hurt
Is your body craving the Beer? why not cut back to weaker beer & see what happens.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2022, 06:14:14 AM »
You have never had an advil or drank a cup of coffee Shut the fuck up

Calm down Half Truth Hankins/Wives Tale Woods. It’s obvious I am referring to illegal substances when I say I have never done a drug.

I know you are the forum idiot but come on.
X

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2022, 06:15:59 AM »
Zero interest in alcohol. I don’t know how people enjoy it.

Because it makes them feel cool.

Like when men say they enjoy liquor. They only enjoy the idea of drinking liquor. No one will ever convince me that the taste of liquor actually tastes good.

X

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • "Woke is a cult." - Joe Rogan
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2022, 06:28:14 AM »
Probably 3 times a week I have a couple shots of whiskey, vodka, etc.

Just one rock glass with a couple shots in it.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2022, 06:30:33 AM »

Like when men say they enjoy liquor. They only enjoy the idea of drinking liquor. No one will ever convince me that the taste of liquor actually tastes good.

Truth.  Whiskey tastes bad.  You do acquire a taste for it.  Flavored vodka tastes ok.

beakdoctor

• Getbig V
  • Royalty is a schmoe-cel.
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2022, 06:50:34 AM »
I loved to drink. I also hated drinking.

I was never a drinker growing up. As a teen and young adult never succumbed to peer pressure to drink. Both of my Grandfather's and most of my uncles drank themselves to death. As a result my parents totally abstained. 

But life does take its toll and eventually I discovered that drinking has a way of making everything feel better....until the next morning.

I drank my way through most of my 30's, almost all of the first decade of my marriage, most of my first daughters early years, most of my 2nd daughters early years and I really struggled with quitting.

It may sound corny as hell but it was my son that prompted me to finally quit. When he was born he would look at me like I was God, King Tut, King James and Santa Claus all rolled into one. Seriously, the boy was inseparable from me and yet there I was drunk, hung over, sweaty, smelling like stale alcohol etc...

So the odd thing is: when I quit I didn't feel any better. I wanted to drink and every problem I had, that I was drinking  to forget, was still there only now more vivid because I couldn't drown it in booze. But I stuck with quitting and eventually it got easier.

I never got a DUI. I never had the police called on me o gott arrested fortunately - but it was imminent.  I thought If I quit on my own terms one day I'll allow myself a drink again.

So I did. I quit. No alcohol for 4 years. Then 2020 came along and I picked it up right where I left off- in fact I picked it up with even more fervor.  Not only did I not loise my tolerance for alcohol but it actually increased! A typical day would see me pound 3 or four 24 oz beers then a few mixed drinks of vodka or gin then finish off the night with 2 or 3 shots of whisky. On a really good day I'd pick up a nice Islay Scotch to end the night on. It was really unbelievable that I didn't do damage to my internal organs. But I ve always been vain and when I started to look like absolute shit, after about 9 months of drinking every day straight at least 70 oz of beer and 6 or 7 shots a night (at a minimum!) I was motivated to quit again. In fact a buddy of mine saw me and let out an honest reaction: "jeez pal, I ve never seen you look like this before.'

So I quit again but this time I didn't totally abstain. I set parameters.  I will allow myself drink whenever im on vacation with my wife, and on certain holidays Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas. Beyond that I won't touch it.

I am pretty good and controlling when and where I drink but once I break the seal I go full retard and trying to control how much I drink has always been completely futile. In between I stay addicted to the gym. Now I drink 4 or 5 times a year but 2 of those times is for a week straight.

bhank

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • 2024 NPC Charlotte Cup Champion
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2022, 06:57:01 AM »
Calm down Half Truth Hankins/Wives Tale Woods. It’s obvious I am referring to illegal substances when I say I have never done a drug.

I know you are the forum idiot but come on.

So now legality determines if something is a drug or not does classification change when you enter different states and countries with different laws?

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2022, 07:12:27 AM »
I don't drink any alcohol.

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2022, 07:17:58 AM »

I agree.

I’m happy to admit as moronic as it sounds I only drink to enjoy the feeling of getting pissed not the actual drink itself, I choose vodka because of the way it makes feel vs how it tastes (like shit although some are “better” than others better as in can pour bigger measures and not taste it)

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2022, 07:27:29 AM »
So now legality determines if something is a drug or not does classification change when you enter different states and countries with different laws?

X

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2022, 07:28:22 AM »
Truth.  Whiskey tastes bad.  You do acquire a taste for it.  Flavored vodka tastes ok.

I am not even sure people really acquire a taste for alcohol, as much as they tolerate its taste.
X

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2022, 07:29:19 AM »
I agree.

I’m happy to admit as moronic as it sounds I only drink to enjoy the feeling of getting pissed not the actual drink itself, I choose vodka because of the way it makes feel vs how it tastes (like shit although some are “better” than others better as in can pour bigger measures and not taste it)

Henda, I agree. In general, the taste of alcohol tastes like crap. People tolerate it, and are more interested in how it makes them feel or to feel cool.
X

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2022, 07:35:42 AM »
I stopped drinking September 17 of this year..I was at the giant get together after my dads funeral and saw certain family members (wife, sister,etc) who I know have no coping skills to speak of..they just kill a bottle of wine or whatever and that how they deal with any hard problems..like stupid children.

I have never used alcohol as a coping mechanism..I just love drinking scotch and bourbon..but just seeing people like that so close to me being so emotionally immature sickened me..I had a beer and wasn’t going to have anything else..but I ordered a glass of lagavulin 25 as kind of a good bye to alcohol for a while..I am completely disgusted by those close to me who chose that route over dealing with there problems now.

I’m not saying I’m never going to drink again..but I won’t ever do it out of stress, sadness, or anger..and I’m not keeping the shit at my house anymore..I threw away over $2k in liquor the next day.

Bench

JackTheRipper

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2022, 07:38:42 AM »
Alcohol is the devil´s Brew  :'( please get clean guys

TheShape.

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2022, 07:50:11 AM »
I enjoy a couple beers from time to time, I just don’t understand the need to get drunk though. Alcohol is terrible for bodybuilding anyways so it’s counterproductive drinking often.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2022, 08:01:45 AM »
I am not even sure people really acquire a taste for alcohol, as much as they tolerate its taste.

If you drink a lot you definitely acquire a taste for it.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2022, 08:27:11 AM »
I drink 1-2 days a week, which is usually Friday night date night with my wife, and Saturday. I rarely drink during the work week, and if I have beers on a Sunday because I didn’t drink Friday or Saturday, I’ll stop by 4pm on Sunday. I hate being groggy for work.

I also don’t drink when things are “going bad” because I don’t want it to be some sort of self medication. I’ve had some stints, (once when I got sick and didn’t drink for almost five months, and several 4-6 week stings when work is going a bit rough), but just like a Beakdoctor I never had a loss of tolerance when I resumed. Probably once a month I overdo it. Some sort of bbq or golfing, I’ll start early and just drink beer all day. I know this sounds bad, but on a long day of drinking, like 12-10, I can polish off 15-20 Natty lights. I don’t really drink liquor/wine, for some reason I don’t tolerate it or have the ability to drink it like beer.

I will say though, I’ve never had the “supreme clarity” you hear people talk about when they don’t drink. For me, I’ve had hangovers on a work night when doing something on a Sunday that I end up pushing past my 4pm rule, but it fades by Tuesday or Wednesday. I don’t let my kids see me drink too much either. I don’t want them to think alcohol is a thing that is as normal as drinking a soda or something. When they get to be adults, they can make their own decisions on alcohol. My mother had never drank alcohol and my dad rarely drank and there was only beer in the fridge for a Tyson fight or something when people would come over to watch fights on PPV or something.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2022, 08:34:20 AM »
Alcohol tastes like pure shit.....I drank for the effect only.

A nice cold beer on a hot day or with pizza tastes good,but it`s just not for me anymore.

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2022, 08:39:50 AM »
You 100% do..I can sit and smell a good glass of scotch or bourbon for 20 minutes before I even take a drink..then I will practically chew every drink just to ride the full flavor..I love everything about it

Bench

Cook

• Getbig IV
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2022, 08:43:23 AM »
I have never bought a six pack and sat at home and drank or whiskey. I used to drink at bars hanging out with my buddies or many times while listening to a band or at a rodeo. I use to go to a lot of them.Now that may sound like I had it together but not so much. I guess I was not a social drinker but a social drunk. I never drank at home but I would tie one on at the other times I described. I once went and saw Charlie Daniels and it was a wasted ticket because I could not remember one song he did.Haven’t had a drink in four years and don’t miss it.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2022, 08:46:52 AM »
I have never consumed alcohol.  Having an alcoholic father and (maternal) grandfather, I witnessed too much too often the results alcoholism.  This is not to say that everyone that drinks is an alcoholic but in my tiny mind, I knew I did not want to risk that behavior ever becoming a part of me.

I do not begrudge other adults enjoying a  beer or a scotch or whatever adult beverage they choose.  It is legal and has been so (barring the stupid/silly probation period) forever. 

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2022, 09:06:21 AM »
You 100% do..I can sit and smell a good glass of scotch or bourbon for 20 minutes before I even take a drink..then I will practically chew every drink just to ride the full flavor..I love everything about it

Bench

Ron Burgundy, is that you?

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2022, 09:07:26 AM »

beakdoctor

• Getbig V
  • Royalty is a schmoe-cel.
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2022, 09:21:56 AM »

Bench

Agreed.

Islay Scotch's are the best. Its the equivalent of having a whole campfire in one sip. Or a rare filet mignon. It's exquisite. Some Irish whisky's smell like caramel. The color as well. It's like a work of art.

Lagavulin 16

Laphraoig

Caol Isla

...... are my personal favorites. I can just savor the bouquet.