Author Topic: My effin wrist  (Read 5322 times)

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
My effin wrist
« on: April 26, 2006, 05:05:44 PM »
I've had this problem for close to a year.

I can't put any pressure on my wrist in the bent back position. I can't even do standard push-ups. I have to do them on my fists.

This problem has been caused by a combination of many years of weightlifting, grappling (mainly gi), and bicycling.

I'm starting to think unless I have surgery, I'm stuck with this sh*t. It's really starting to get on my nerves.

Would anyone know the specific ligament that is injured?

The pain in located in the lower back of the hand, below the thumb.

lilbg

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Re: My effin wrist
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 08:02:31 AM »
Ive got the exact same problem.  Ive had it for 9 months now and its not healing.  I finally made a doc appointment that i am going to tomorrow.  Most of my exercises dont bother me to much but when I do things for chest like presses, dips, pushups its a nagging pain that if pushed to hard can be a sudden sharp pain.  I am going to a Hand surgen to get it looked at so hopefully they can tell me whats wrong.  I want to continue to lift but feel like the Doc is gonna say not to.  I found that keep my wrist/hand rolled forward when doing presses and using only dumbells really helped me when doing my chest.  Something about hte forced angle of a strait bar that starts to bug it.  Id be really curious to see if anyone else has this issue.  Im thinking it may come down to a cortizone shot but probably is just a temporary fix that im not looking forward to.  Whats odd is I get the same problem that comes and goes in my other wrist.

Brian

mrfixit

• Getbig I
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 11:50:31 AM »
I also have the exact same problem. Growing tired of waiting for it to work itself out so to speak, I finally went to the doctor.

My primary care provider referred me to a sports medicine office. I had x rays taken of my left wrist, and set my appointment. Since there was no visable swelling or damage to speak of, and my x ray lookede completely normal, next a mri was scheduled.

My mri revealed a ganglion cyst. It is small and flat that is why it does not show externally. The bad news is my Dr. says the only way to get rid of it is surgery, which he is not interested in doing atm because the cyst is not big enough.

So I have to sit around and wait for it to get worse. Also I do not think my Dr. understands how painfull and lifestyle altering this condition is. I am considering a second opinion.

By the way this is my first post here. Long time lurker so to speak.. but this post propted me to register and comment.

smaul

• Getbig IV
  • Lets build some hurting bombs!
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 05:51:14 AM »
I've had a ganglion for years.  Sometimes the doctor will try to drain it instead of opting for surgery.  THis consists of sticking a large gauge needle into it and pulling the plunger.  Sometimes works on ganglion cysts that are not filled with liquid thats too thick and viscous.  I've had this done too me and it didnt work.

If this does not work the traditional remedy is known as the bible method.  Basically this means hitting it with a large heavy book, I tried this using Arnolds Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding, it hurt very badly and didnt improve matters in the slightest.

I've considered the surgery but dont want to as I think I couldnt train for months while it heals.
It hasn't helped...

Superman

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 12:54:21 AM »
I've had this problem for close to a year.

I can't put any pressure on my wrist in the bent back position. I can't even do standard push-ups. I have to do them on my fists.

This problem has been caused by a combination of many years of weightlifting, grappling (mainly gi), and bicycling.

I'm starting to think unless I have surgery, I'm stuck with this sh*t. It's really starting to get on my nerves.

Would anyone know the specific ligament that is injured?

The pain in located in the lower back of the hand, below the thumb.
Let me ask you, what your workout routine for your arms is. It could be too much stress is put upon your wrists and it just can’t handle it. You probably need to strengthen them up with some exercises.  My wrists hurt at one time too, and were simply due to not working them enough. Strengthen them up by doing wrist curls positive, negative, and behind. I started to do this my wrists stopped hurting. Do that for a bit and see how it goes. Here's an example on what I'm talking about.

Negative Wrist Curls

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.php?Name=Palms-Down+Wrist+Curl+Over+A+Bench

Positive Wrist Curls

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.php?Name=Palms-Up+Barbell+Wrist+Curl+Over+A+Bench

Standing Wrist Curls

http://www.myfit.ca/exercisedatabase/viewanexercise.asp?table=exercises&ID=62