Author Topic: do you "do what you love" ?  (Read 5945 times)

Walter Sobchak

• Getbig V
  • HANKINS IS A FUCKING LIAR & QUITTER
Re: do you "do what you love" ?
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2023, 07:24:09 AM »
I like what I do on most days, but I don't think I "love" it anymore.

Maybe 6-7 years ago I did, but people have become so fucked up that it really is hard to deal with them anymore.

I blame the internet.

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2023, 07:42:57 AM »
Many days yes, some days/weeks absolutely fucking hate it. Love not answering to anyone, love being outside in summer, love the satisfaction construction work brings. Hate working outside in winter picking up a frosty shovel first thing on a January morning isn’t particularly pleasant but it usually ok once get going, don’t like the unpaid time you have to put in pricing work ect eg today had to go unload the micro digger at me mams as was late finishing, go and order gear for delivery at one builders merchant, go and collect gear from another builders merchants, was supposed to go price a job in Newcastle but will go in morning instead theres half Saturday gave up with no monetary reward. Also when a job goes tits up and you have to finish it to get the money you have in it back but are making little to no profit off it sucks people hate going to work when getting paid it even worse going for fuck all haha

BBSSchlemiel

• Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2023, 07:44:42 AM »
ahhh, i presume you refer to those weird humiliation games where people must play along with a bunch of games that seem to be top down pushed down all corporations by the globalist elite? (well i do have a lot of strong assumptions based off very little evidence but still). it is why i could never be an employee again, i just dont have it in me. i stumbled on finding a way to be self employed that way and the money is pretty good right now, and i'm happy to enjoy a level of freedom that way. but overall, i don't feel fullfilled at all, i just plow through it trying not to think about it too much, and just keep my eyes on the money, weekends, and occasional vacations. but it's not a a very good way to live that way, trying to get some inspiration from this thread.

Do you have anything else that can fulfill you?

I like what I do, but I sure don’t love it. But I have a full life outside of work of marriage, kids, great friends, plenty of events to go to, occasional vacation, my own interests, the gym.

I know on the most boring of days, once I’m out of work, mostly good times are waiting for me.

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “Billy’s taking Art? What the hell for?”
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2023, 08:52:55 AM »
A lot has changed in FL real estate since 2019.  Do you ever go online and see what your Boca house is worth now?  Ouch! ;D

Almost $600K and sold it for a hair under $400K  :P

Bought it for $250s in 2013

It wasn’t anything special. Just a 3/2 no pool, but I did impact windows and doors and it was easy to maintain and fairly turn-key w/ a low HOA. I began to dislike living in Boca, and it only got busier since I left due to new construction without addressing the traffic issues. My new place is a lot nicer and bigger. The extra driving is the worse part of it. Also, I hate having a mortgage, but it made sense with how low the rates were. Basically free money when it’s under the historical rate of inflation.

residue

• Getbig V
  • Adonis 3:16
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2023, 09:12:25 AM »
Of course not, it's easy and it pays a lot, but I work so I can afford to do the things I love.

Walter Sobchak

• Getbig V
  • HANKINS IS A FUCKING LIAR & QUITTER
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2023, 09:51:35 AM »
Many days yes, some days/weeks absolutely fucking hate it. Love not answering to anyone, love being outside in summer, love the satisfaction construction work brings. Hate working outside in winter picking up a frosty shovel first thing on a January morning isn’t particularly pleasant but it usually ok once get going, don’t like the unpaid time you have to put in pricing work ect eg today had to go unload the micro digger at me mams as was late finishing, go and order gear for delivery at one builders merchant, go and collect gear from another builders merchants, was supposed to go price a job in Newcastle but will go in morning instead theres half Saturday gave up with no monetary reward. Also when a job goes tits up and you have to finish it to get the money you have in it back but are making little to no profit off it sucks people hate going to work when getting paid it even worse going for fuck all haha

You need to rethink your business model Henda.

You should not be donating your time at this point in your career.

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2023, 10:21:52 AM »
You need to rethink your business model Henda.

You should not be donating your time at this point in your career.

I fucked up and left it too late to get serious about my work/business mate I know I should be a lot better off and have more of a back seat from the day to day shit at my age just plodded along happy just making a living for too many years had the first 15 years been like the last 5 have been then I’d be a lot further forward in life

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2023, 12:15:06 PM »
My dream job is working at Auto Zone!
X

Dalnet

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2023, 12:25:58 PM »

We had similar things when I began subcontracting on the gas for national grid. Get paid per meterage - so tried to do push days at the end of the week. Ended up having to grease a lot of palms to get the right work where the new pipe could go into the old pipe and mains without open-cutting or using moles for the services. If you couldn't get an AE with the right tickets out for that friday you'd be lucky if you could push on a weekend. Then the lads used to get pissed off working a weekend. I recall the winter shovel days with the GPO shovels in the tarmac/concrete. Not fun on the wrists, is it? :) Some weeks you were paying out 12-15K with nothing to show for it. Going ALL in with plant, labour + NRSWA, aris fencing etc/AE costs it was crazy money but one bad month could fuck your entire company up. I know a bloke who used to live on site in a caravan he was that determined to succeed. Used to barrow all the soil into one spot for every road for the grab just so the grab only had to do one pickup at a time.

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2023, 01:27:05 PM »
I love what i do today, but don't like the company i work for. It's a very toxic environment where the President and Corporate folks intentionally pit people against each other to get better performance. I've never worked in an environment like this in my career, but the money is nearly twice as much as i've gotten paid in the past, with insane bonus incentives and benefits. The environment is so toxic, and people get fired for making one bad decision, even when they made that bad decision due to pressure from management. The corporate managers try to trip people up to see if they will fail on purpose, and when they fail they get fired. It's retarded.

I used to work for an international engineering firm and i specialized in forensic engineering studies for concrete and/or steel structures that failed or were failing. I got to live in 7 different countries and was paid very well, but it was very stressful because if i made one mistake i could be held liable for it on a financial and/or criminal level. Also, i was the outsider consultant who came in to prove people wrong, and most people hated me with a passion. I stopped doing this work when i got wrapped up in a terrible bridge failure project in Germany. The German consultants literally wanted to kill me because i proved them wrong and they were hiding their mistakes. I smoked it all out and they went full pitchfork on me, ran me out of town. Had a guy pull a shotgun on me over my report i submitted to the client and government agency who built the bridge.

In my spare time i buy and sell land, also i have developed raw land into residential communities, mainly subdivisions, apartment complexes and office space. I've made a ton of money doing this, but the risk is insane. I'm trying to start my own development company but i need a few more players on my team to be successful. I own land all over the US is key locations, it will be easy to make lots of money, but i need to have the right connections at the local regulatory level to make it work. Some of these areas (like where i live now) are very hard to get planning approval, construction permits and acceptance of projects, and you can lose your ass very easily. So i'm working on building a team to manage all of this locally so i can focus on the big picture.

My life is great, i have more money than i ever thought i would have, i can do anything i want. But on the daily i hate my work environment and my boss. It's toxic as fuck. But i get along with everyone and i do a good job. Just have to focus on the end game and not let it stress me out.

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2023, 01:46:31 PM »
my job is piss easy, I talk to a bunch of guys for around 4 hours then they go home and Im half an hour behind them

Dalnet

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2023, 02:08:36 PM »
I stopped doing this work when i got wrapped up in a terrible bridge failure project in Germany. The German consultants literally wanted to kill me because i proved them wrong and they were hiding their mistakes. I smoked it all out and they went full pitchfork on me, ran me out of town. Had a guy pull a shotgun on me over my report i submitted to the client and government agency who built the bridge.

The crazy thing is: if Germans would go schizo about anything: it would be someone questioning their 'precision engineering' reputation. LMAO.

deadz

• Getbig V
  • Liberals..Dumbest People on the Planet! MAGA
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2023, 02:17:18 PM »
A tiny percentage “do what they love” most work to pay bills. I now do what I love @ 52 and that’s being retired. I do feel for those who work everyday of their lives until they die. That’s not a life.
T

Prayer Warrior

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2023, 02:22:39 PM »
The crazy thing is: if Germans would go schizo about anything: it would be someone questioning their 'precision engineering' reputation. LMAO.
diesel gate

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2023, 02:27:03 PM »

This is true, they have a severe arrogance about engineering and processes in general.

What i experienced was that they are very detailed, and process based, usually over detailed and over engineered.

Lots of checks and balances.

But the execution is terrible.

And it takes them forever to do anything.

If you question anything they lose their mind, because they are so arrogant.

Overall, a great group of people to work with, but doing business with them is challenging. They are so dry and crude about business deals. Also, they are hard to read, like robots.

Venezuelans were the opposite, could not engineer shit but made up for it during construction. Would construct something twice as robust as the engineering plans, just because they didn't trust them. Which had problems as well. But they got shit done so fast it was insane.

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2023, 02:29:30 PM »
A tiny percentage “do what they love” most work to pay bills. I now do what I love @ 52 and that’s being retired. I do feel for those who work everyday of their lives until they die. That’s not a life.

Yeah, i'm going to keep doing what i do until i hit 50-55 and then semi-retire, serve as an outside consultant.

Then develop a property or two per year, nothing big. I really enjoy the development process.

I just don't like risk and i'm very conservative.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2023, 02:31:13 PM »
Yeah, i'm going to keep doing what i do until i hit 50-55 and then semi-retire, serve as an outside consultant.

Then develop a property or two per year, nothing big. I really enjoy the development process.

I just don't like risk and i'm very conservative.
It sounds like you`re doing great bro.....that Germany incident sounds scary.

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2023, 03:27:32 PM »
My city has one of the lowest costs of living in North America. Anyone with $750K to $1.25M in assets is going to be able to  comfortably live off those assets.

I don't know why people would work full-time forever just to get a few nicer things. Wouldn't it be less stressful just to put yourself in a comfortable enough spot to not work, and just sort of live on your own terms?

Every once in a while I think about taking up work somewhere, but I lose interest very quickly. I can't fathom working full-time for eight hour days five days a week wearing a mask during a fake pandemic.

There's no way I would tolerate it. I'd rather be in jail.

Also, I know people who are clearing $100K a year who could easily live on half that [if not much less than that - at least where I am], and it never occurs to them to just bank that extra money for 7-10 years and invest it and retire early.

I don't understand why people would want to work any longer than they have to. There are even celebrities and athletes who are broke. Like it never occurred to them to sock away a few million, invest that securely at 7%, and be able to comfortably live off that. I don't get it.

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2023, 04:37:35 PM »
It sounds like you`re doing great bro.....that Germany incident sounds scary.

I've had some interesting moments in life.

I'm nobody important, but i learned the value of money at a young age and caught a few breaks in life.

Never got married and never had kids. This is really the key.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2023, 04:42:16 PM »
I've had some interesting moments in life.

I'm nobody important, but i learned the value of money at a young age and caught a few breaks in life.

Never got married and never had kids. This is really the key.
Tell me about it....no kids but on my second marriage.  :( 

My wife is great though.......most of the time.

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2023, 04:44:53 PM »
Also, I know people who are clearing $100K a year who could easily live on half that [if not much less than that - at least where I am], and it never occurs to them to just bank that extra money for 7-10 years and invest it and retire early.

I don't understand why people would want to work any longer than they have to. There are even celebrities and athletes who are broke. Like it never occurred to them to sock away a few million, invest that securely at 7%, and be able to comfortably live off that. I don't get it.

The first 8 years after college i saved nearly 80% of my income.

I lived in a 600sf efficiency condo until i was almost 30.

While everyone was spending money on silly things, i was reading about land development code and met the right people in the community.

I'd study engineering methods on the weekends to enhance my career. Read every business-oriented book i could find.

Caught a break as a partner in a development deal and made serious money.

Instead of spending a dime of it, i invested in more land deals. Rinse repeat.

Working my life away until i was 38. Many times working 60-70 hours a week to work my way up the food chain.

Got the right experience and now i can get a job working for any engineering company of my choosing.

I'm not rich by any means, but i have the opportunity to be if it all comes together.

I still drive an old truck with 160k miles on it.

Life is what you make of it.

honest

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2023, 09:37:21 PM »
Stopped competitively building my body 25 years ago, taking it to the next level was becoming more and more dependant on risking long term health and giving up things like having a family etc ,basically the business case was risk my health and spend more money getting ready for a show than the actual prize money, with no guarantee of success, retirement was a no brainer from that perspective, I have succesfully applied the same bodybuilding type mindset to business, goal setting, identifying weak points in business and focusing on them, I wouldn't say its what I set out to do in life, or that I get as much satisfaction from hitting my budgets as I did from progressing through the bodybuilding ranks, but its allowed me to have a good life have a family and train for life, all the guys I competed with and against who went harder, now have health issues or don't train, Im happy with the decisions I made, particularly not to pursue the sport to higher levels and risk my health over and above what I had already done.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2023, 12:06:38 AM »
Doing mostly what I love day in and out. Money is not a steady stream though - sometimes good sometimes I have to dine on only the finest lemon water.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2023, 01:06:05 AM »
I do almost nothing and absolutely love it!

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2023, 01:08:06 AM »
You need a certain level of hardship to be happy. I personally do not thrive on indulgence and hedonism, if those are life's primary purposes.