Author Topic: do you "do what you love" ?  (Read 5975 times)

Prayer Warrior

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
do you "do what you love" ?
« on: February 18, 2023, 03:58:55 AM »
or do you just plow through doing shit you hate, just for the money, and look forward to weekends and vacations? i'm in the latter category and i always wonder how to escape and if there is even really an escape that is not a meme slogan

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
Re: do you "do what you love" ?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2023, 03:59:36 AM »
currently doing a job I am very happy about. Best quality of life I have had in a long while.

Prayer Warrior

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2023, 04:01:25 AM »
currently doing a job I am very happy about. Best quality of life I have had in a long while.
So it's really exists in nature? I always wondered if this was just make believe. What kind of job and are you happy about both the content as well as the finances?

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • also shopped my pic you tried to make it subtle
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2023, 04:07:48 AM »
I shitpost on getbig yes

Gym Rat

• Getbig V
  • Libturdz Love The Caulk
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2023, 04:49:06 AM »
I loved what I do for a long time (25 years). (IT Security / Network).
Now w/ 5 years left to work, I float.
I feel half-retired anyways, work from home, do my own hours, take naps, go to the gym, etc...
Good enough for me.

We all float down here Georgie!

robcguns

• Getbig V
  • Founder of the proud straight white male movement
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2023, 05:19:50 AM »
ABSOLUTELY NOT.

GymnJuice

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2023, 05:43:11 AM »
Bit of both. Work isn't assembly line stuff so there's stimulation and variety day to day. Vacations also keep the work from becoming repetitive and gives perspective so you know there's more to the world than your own building and coworkers. I find I don't get overly invested into work if I'm looking forward to my next trip.

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2023, 05:46:48 AM »
Yes, I wake up early and jump out of bed bc I look forward to what I do.  If I won the lottery, I’d still be doing the same thing (home renovations/rehabilitation), just on a bigger scale and with fancier tools

I’m very fortunate to be doing what I do

Prayer Warrior

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2023, 05:59:38 AM »
I loved what I do for a long time (25 years). (IT Security / Network).
Now w/ 5 years left to work, I float.
I feel half-retired anyways, work from home, do my own hours, take naps, go to the gym, etc...
Good enough for me.

We all float down here Georgie!

Sounds great, happy for you. I'm really amazed you could love that for 25 years tho, do you mean you loved the content of the work or the money+perks? I mean it does seem pretty repetitive and boring like most work? (I feel that way about mine)

tatoo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2023, 06:03:05 AM »
yes i do.... and never knew how much i would love it until i did it!!! i got very lucky.

Prayer Warrior

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2023, 06:05:28 AM »
yes i do.... and never knew how much i would love it until i did it!!! i got very lucky.
can you tell more about it, how did that go

Gym Rat

• Getbig V
  • Libturdz Love The Caulk
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2023, 06:09:42 AM »
Sounds great, happy for you. I'm really amazed you could love that for 25 years tho, do you mean you loved the content of the work or the money+perks? I mean it does seem pretty repetitive and boring like most work? (I feel that way about mine)

Moneys great, I had excellent friends/co-workers who I enjoyed being around. Just great guys.
The work was never boring (our company kept buying up smaller businesses, a couple per year) so the projects would keep us challenged for a year (at a time) when that happens.
It was rarely boring.

The new technologies, always having to change to stay secure, etc. Again, I enjoyed the work.
I still do to an extent, but just on the back-9 now, looking FWD to getting out... 

And after the last time our place was acquired (3 years ago), the new MGT and people are braindead.
COmpanies always have "a culture" this time around its shitty...

Prayer Warrior

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2023, 06:15:42 AM »
Moneys great, I had excellent friends/co-workers who I enjoyed being around. Just great guys.
The work was never boring (our company kept buying up smaller businesses, a couple per year) so the projects would keep us challenged for a year (at a time) when that happens.
It was rarely boring.

The new technologies, always having to change to stay secure, etc. Again, I enjoyed the work.
I still do to an extent, but just on the back-9 now, looking FWD to getting out... 

And after the last time our place was acquired (3 years ago), the new MGT and people are braindead.
COmpanies always have "a culture" this time around its shitty...
ahhh, i presume you refer to those weird humiliation games where people must play along with a bunch of games that seem to be top down pushed down all corporations by the globalist elite? (well i do have a lot of strong assumptions based off very little evidence but still). it is why i could never be an employee again, i just dont have it in me. i stumbled on finding a way to be self employed that way and the money is pretty good right now, and i'm happy to enjoy a level of freedom that way. but overall, i don't feel fullfilled at all, i just plow through it trying not to think about it too much, and just keep my eyes on the money, weekends, and occasional vacations. but it's not a a very good way to live that way, trying to get some inspiration from this thread.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2023, 06:19:43 AM »
I do I have a stressful job ,I make comfortable living  for someone not educated to high degrees.nice vacations and spend weekends when not with kids weekend going to overnight places,wineries,day trips

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2023, 06:20:30 AM »
I love my job (dean at a university)... I like the people I work with and I love my flexible schedule.  Since the pandemic "ended" I go to my office 1-3x a week.. otherwise I work from home doing emails and zoom conference calls.  I'm tempted to take another step up the ladder (provost) but that will involve buying a new place, moving, and working hard to prove myself to a whole new community.  Is that worth more money?  Maybe.  I'm still deciding. :-\

My current quality of life is very good.  My biggest worry is landscaping my yard, keeping the pool water clean, and making sure my tenants pay on time. :D

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2023, 06:26:05 AM »
I love my job (dean at a university)... I like the people I work with and I love my flexible schedule.  Since the pandemic "ended" I go to my office 1-3x a week.. otherwise I work from home doing emails and zoom conference calls.  I'm tempted to take another step up the ladder (provost) but that will involve buying a new place, moving, and working hard to prove myself to a whole new community.  Is that worth more money?  Maybe.  I'm still deciding. :-\

My current quality of life is very good.  My biggest worry is landscaping my yard, keeping the pool water clean, and making sure my tenants pay on time. :D

Also make sure your partner has good credit rating
Q

Dalnet

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2023, 06:26:15 AM »
Good to hear for most of you that seem to be enjoying work and life balances and what you do. Positive vibes all the way.

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “Billy’s taking Art? What the hell for?”
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2023, 06:27:02 AM »
I do what I love. I post on Getbig, work out and fornicate

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2023, 06:28:40 AM »

Nice that you own property sets u up big time later in life.wish I did it.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2023, 06:46:51 AM »
Nice that you own property sets u up big time later in life.wish I did it.

When the time is right, you should buy--especially in the right location.  The house I bought in 2012 has tripled in value and the rent is outrageous.  Do I think it's worth its current value?  No.  But the market has decided it is worth what it is and I am quite happy about it.  I never have trouble finding tenants for that house.  My primary residence doubled in value in the last three years; I would have trouble buying it now at its current market value.  I live on an acre so for me working from home doesn't mean being cramped up in a small apartment like people who live in downtown high-rises.  As a normal working person who has not won the lottery (yet) it is hard for me to imagine a better quality of life than what I enjoy right now.

Prayer Warrior

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2023, 06:55:47 AM »
When the time is right, you should buy--especially in the right location.  The house I bought in 2012 has tripled in value and the rent is outrageous.  Do I think it's worth its current value?  No.  But the market has decided it is worth what it is and I am quite happy about it.  I never have trouble finding tenants for that house.  My primary residence doubled in value in the last three years; I would have trouble buying it now at its current market value.  I live on an acre so for me working from home doesn't mean being cramped up in a small apartment like people who live in downtown high-rises.  As a normal working person who has not won the lottery (yet) it is hard for me to imagine a better quality of life that what I enjoy right now.
US housing market will crash and burn once the petro dollar hegemony ends which could be within 7 years from now

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “Billy’s taking Art? What the hell for?”
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2023, 06:58:43 AM »
Damn. Bay’s got it going on. Would love to know the college although I know he would never say for various reasons  :D  I’m in the same boat with the pool and yard maintenance thing. Owning an acre and a quarter in South FL ain’t easy. The wife and I bought in 2019 and my home nearly doubled. I also refinanced from 3.75% to 2.375% which is hard to beat. I just wish I kept my paid off home in Boca Raton and rented it instead of selling and putting it in ETFs right during the Covid sell off. At first, it was a great move and then it wasn’t thanks to the Great Communicator’s shit policies

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2023, 07:01:17 AM »
Yes.  I am very happy with what I do and would not change a single thing.  My primary job is easy, flexible, and I work from home for the most part and it gives me plenty of time off for my second gig which allows me to travel around the world on dream vacations (not mine, but others) and get paid for doing photography work.   I am very fortunate.

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2023, 07:03:34 AM »
I also refinanced from 3.75% to 2.375% which is hard to beat.

We could get 1 % fixed rate mortgages here a few years ago. Now it is 4 - 5 percent.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2023, 07:19:55 AM »
Damn. Bay’s got it going on. Would love to know the college although I know he would never say for various reasons  :D  I’m in the same boat with the pool and yard maintenance thing. Owning an acre and a quarter in South FL ain’t easy. The wife and I bought in 2019 and my home nearly doubled. I also refinanced from 3.75% to 2.375% which is hard to beat. I just wish I kept my paid off home in Boca Raton and rented it instead of selling and putting it in ETFs right during the Covid sell off. At first, it was a great move and then it wasn’t thanks to the Great Communicator’s shit policies

A lot has changed in FL real estate since 2019.  Do you ever go online and see what your Boca house is worth now?  Ouch! ;D