Author Topic: do you "do what you love" ?  (Read 5960 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Re: do you "do what you love" ?
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2023, 03:15:04 AM »
Stopped competitively building my body 25 years ago, taking it to the next level was becoming more and more dependant on risking long term health and giving up things like having a family etc ,basically the business case was risk my health and spend more money getting ready for a show than the actual prize money, with no guarantee of success, retirement was a no brainer from that perspective, I have succesfully applied the same bodybuilding type mindset to business, goal setting, identifying weak points in business and focusing on them, I wouldn't say its what I set out to do in life, or that I get as much satisfaction from hitting my budgets as I did from progressing through the bodybuilding ranks, but its allowed me to have a good life have a family and train for life, all the guys I competed with and against who went harder, now have health issues or don't train, Im happy with the decisions I made, particularly not to pursue the sport to higher levels and risk my health over and above what I had already done.

You chose wisely.  Now, when I see pics of the young dead (Paul DeMayo, Ed VanAmsterdam, Scott Milne, Allen Fortney, Scott Klein, Bryan Kerridge, Art Atwood, etc) I think to myself, “you had one life and this is what you chose to do with it?  Wtf were you thinking?” Did any of them make it to 40 or 50?  Seems like such a waste. :'(

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2023, 03:17:55 AM »
I don't know what to do with it but I didn't know that it was a good time to go to the store and I don't know what to do with it but I didn't think it was a good idea but I didn't think it was a good time
Q

Prayer Warrior

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2023, 04:51:54 AM »
You chose wisely.  Now, when I see pics of the young dead (Paul DeMayo, Ed, VanAmsterdam, Scott Milne, Allen Fortney, Scott Klein, Bryan Kerridge, Art Atwood, etc) I think to myself, “you had one life and this is what you chose to do with it?  Wtf were you thinking?” Did any of them make it to 40 or 50?  Seems like such a waste. :'(
They chose a short life of legends vs a long life of mediocrity. Tough call, Id take long life anyway.

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2023, 05:40:58 AM »
We had similar things when I began subcontracting on the gas for national grid. Get paid per meterage - so tried to do push days at the end of the week. Ended up having to grease a lot of palms to get the right work where the new pipe could go into the old pipe and mains without open-cutting or using moles for the services. If you couldn't get an AE with the right tickets out for that friday you'd be lucky if you could push on a weekend. Then the lads used to get pissed off working a weekend. I recall the winter shovel days with the GPO shovels in the tarmac/concrete. Not fun on the wrists, is it? :) Some weeks you were paying out 12-15K with nothing to show for it. Going ALL in with plant, labour + NRSWA, aris fencing etc/AE costs it was crazy money but one bad month could fuck your entire company up. I know a bloke who used to live on site in a caravan he was that determined to succeed. Used to barrow all the soil into one spot for every road for the grab just so the grab only had to do one pickup at a time.

Do the grabs just charge per pick up in that case? We pay per load but it’s always in one place I like to save money on jobs but fuck barrowing soil unless it substantial saving haha

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2023, 06:05:31 AM »
They chose a short life of legends vs a long life of mediocrity. Tough call, Id take long life anyway.

One, five, or ten years later I doubt anyone thinks of them as legends. If they are thought of at all it might be as mediocre bodybuilders. :-\

There are other things worth living for.  Kerridge, for example, had a couple kids and worked as a nurse.  John Meadows and Van Amsterdam also had small kids. If what you're doing is taking you away from your family via premature death then you're doing something wrong... whether you love it or not.

Prayer Warrior

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2023, 06:13:36 AM »
One, five, or ten years later I doubt anyone thinks of them as legends. If they are thought of at all it might be as mediocre bodybuilders. :-\

There are other things worth living for.  Kerridge, for example, had a couple kids and worked as a nurse.  John Meadows and Van Amsterdam also had small kids. If what you're doing is taking you away from your family via premature death then you're doing something wrong... whether you love it or not.
dont get me wrong. I absolutely choose long skinny life over short roided up life.

robcguns

• Getbig V
  • Founder of the proud straight white male movement
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2023, 06:14:10 AM »

I’d take the short life all day. Rather 40 years as a lion than 80 years as a lamb. That’s if I had the genetics in the first place but after doing steroids non stop from 21-27 I realized I could get very big and strong but didn’t look great. At my age now life couldn’t be more boring compared to how I lived in 20s-30s so I wouldn’t have minded checking out a few years back.

Prayer Warrior

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2023, 06:16:29 AM »
I’d take the short life all day. Rather 40 years as a lion than 80 years as a lamb. That’s if I had the genetics in the first place but after doing steroids non stop from 21-27 I realized I could get very big and strong but didn’t look great. At my age now life couldn’t be more boring compared to how I lived in 20s-30s so I wouldn’t have minded checking out a few years back.
When you find true love, you realize it was never about being huge. Hell, I would say that picture bay posted shows a woman who is worried about losing her man to steroid abuse. Look deep into her eyes you will see it.

Prayer Warrior

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2023, 06:21:12 AM »
What are you stupid or just dumb?
i think i have above average intelligence, but nothing to write home about..

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2023, 06:22:31 AM »
i think i have above average intelligence, but nothing to write home about..
I deleted my post....you have a right to your opinion.....sorry bud.

Prayer Warrior

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2023, 06:24:19 AM »
I deleted my post....you have a right to your opinion.....sorry bud.
dont worry about it. We must all try to follow the path of jesus but its not easy

robcguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2023, 06:29:32 AM »
When you find true love, you realize it was never about being huge. Hell, I would say that picture bay posted shows a woman who is worried about losing her man to steroid abuse. Look deep into her eyes you will see it.

Honestly not a big fan of love. I’ve been with my wife 20 years now and it’s whatever, I love her but don’t feel she loves me. Understandably so, I have a bad attitude and don’t do things with her cause I always get angry at people in public when they do stupid shit and have to make it my business and she can’t handle it. I’m not a fun guy to be around at all. Always looking for bad so I can intervene in the only way I know how. Unfortunately I based my whole life around being big and strong and wouldn’t know how to function any other way. I’m just full of hatred for the world and most in it. To much politics and news has invaded my mind over the last 8 years and ruined me. Then with work I do work for myself and don’t work a lot as I have Dec-feb off and work the jobs I want and turn down quite a few jobs based on assholes etc… still I hate work cause it is exactly that,work. Don’t mean to be a downer just don’t see the point in life at all and couldn’t fucking care less what happens to me. So with all that said I will prob start juicing again as a way to go out without looking like I’m trying to out.enjoy your lives getbig bros and hope you never get into my mindset cause you can’t escape it.

Prayer Warrior

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2023, 06:50:01 AM »
Honestly not a big fan of love. I’ve been with my wife 20 years now and it’s whatever, I love her but don’t feel she loves me. Understandably so, I have a bad attitude and don’t do things with her cause I always get angry at people in public when they do stupid shit and have to make it my business and she can’t handle it. I’m not a fun guy to be around at all. Always looking for bad so I can intervene in the only way I know how. Unfortunately I based my whole life around being big and strong and wouldn’t know how to function any other way. I’m just full of hatred for the world and most in it. To much politics and news has invaded my mind over the last 8 years and ruined me. Then with work I do work for myself and don’t work a lot as I have Dec-feb off and work the jobs I want and turn down quite a few jobs based on assholes etc… still I hate work cause it is exactly that,work. Don’t mean to be a downer just don’t see the point in life at all and couldn’t fucking care less what happens to me. So with all that said I will prob start juicing again as a way to go out without looking like I’m trying to out.enjoy your lives getbig bros and hope you never get into my mindset cause you can’t escape it.
I think if you find a woman that truly loves you, you will see life in another way and not care about being big and strong that much. There is more to life. Like going on trips and eating in fine restaurants and sleeping in comfy hotels.

Relentless458

• Getbig II
« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2023, 07:08:36 AM »

What happened to you man. Despite you calling bodybuilding "evil" ...you are very interested/invested in anything bodybuilding related/lifestyle. Were you once an aspiring pro bodybuilder who chased the dream and  ended up with life altering complications due to the drug use? I know I bash you on your posts...but seriously. I ask cause like I've previously stated.....for someone who calls bodybuilding "evil"...you sure post plenty of inquiries bodybuilding related. Just curious.....

robcguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2023, 07:15:02 AM »
I think if you find a woman that truly loves you, you will see life in another way and not care about being big and strong that much. There is more to life. Like going on trips and eating in fine restaurants and sleeping in comfy hotels.

I’ve been on many vacations and stayed in so many nice hotels and rented very nice houses and ate in great restaurants and it does nothing for me. I’m just an angry man and being an angry man I just go out hoping someone fucks with me, I don’t start shit but I love when others do. It’s a problem I’ve always had I can’t focus on my family or what I’m doing I always focus on what others are doing and how fucking stupid they are. I truly think it was a mistake for me to be born, I feel I should have. Superpowers as weird as that sounds so I can right all the wrongs in the world. My wife always says it’s not your responsibility to be Superman, the hell it ain’t I say back haha. Im prob just insane. What I have found out in my life is money is the worst thing in the world, I’ve played both sides as I’ve been poor and I’ve been rich well rich as I consider it and I don’t care for either side of the coin. I’ve lost it boys.

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2023, 01:50:30 PM »

You have the same personality of one of my construction superintendents.

He can't be around anyone without getting upset and telling everyone what to do. And he's aggressive as hell. Very intimidating.

It drives people nuts, but he's 6'4" and about 260, strong as an ox at 55 years old. I've seen him pull 100+ pound manhole covers off like nothing.

Last year an 18-wheeler cut him off on his motorcycle, he was going 60 in a 30, but it was the truck driver's fault. I watched him grab the dude out of the cab by his belt and punch him in the stomach like 7 times. They wanted me to fire him but it had nothing to do with work, he was driving back from lunch.

But everyone hates him and tells me not to allow him to be in meetings, because he takes over and is a dick to everyone.

Not saying that you're exactly that type of dick, but you get my point. ;D

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2023, 02:02:56 PM »

You’re a much better bloke than you give yourself credit for mate loads of us on here think you’re an awesome guy. It none of my business but I’m sure if she still here after 20 years she does love you mate I was exactly like you in that regard despite 15 years and 2 kids I never once believed the ex loved me despite her insistence otherwise would always say nasty things like how I only care to live long enough to see the kids reach adulthood as have fuck all to live for after that and she would ask what about me and I’d say you wouldn’t give a fuck would probably have new bloke by my funeral ect and all other shit and this belief led to the events that finally ended it I look back now and see how fucking stupid I was and how great my life was despite hating it at the time. Hindsight is a wonderful thing they say. Sorry for long deep slavery post mate you a really good bloke and deserve to be happy brother

Cook

• Getbig IV
« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2023, 02:04:48 PM »
You’re a much better bloke than you give yourself credit for mate loads of us on here think you’re an awesome guy. It none of my business but I’m sure if she still here after 20 years she does love you mate I was exactly like you in that regard despite 15 years and 2 kids I never once believed the ex loved me despite her insistence otherwise would always say nasty things like how I only care to live long enough to see the kids reach adulthood as have fuck all to live for after that and she would ask what about me and I’d say you wouldn’t give a fuck would probably have new bloke by my funeral ect and all other shit and this belief led to the events that finally ended it I look back now and see how fucking stupid I was and how great my life was despite hating it at the time. Hindsight is a wonderful thing they say. Sorry for long deep slavery post mate you a really good bloke and deserve to be happy brother
I agree with Henda

robcguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: February 19, 2023, 02:32:23 PM »

Haha sounds like I’m doing the exact same thing as you, I say the same shit and she says she loves me so much etc… but I don’t believe it and it’s my fault that I don’t believe it cause I’ve come to trust no one unfortunately. I am driving her away and I know this, it’s very weird and almost don’t understand why I’m doing it. But I’ve said word for word what you said to your ex wife. I appreciate you guys here more than you could ever know and getbig has gotten me thru some bad times. Appreciate the kind words.

robcguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2023, 02:33:55 PM »
You have the same personality of one of my construction superintendents.

He can't be around anyone without getting upset and telling everyone what to do. And he's aggressive as hell. Very intimidating.

It drives people nuts, but he's 6'4" and about 260, strong as an ox at 55 years old. I've seen him pull 100+ pound manhole covers off like nothing.

Last year an 18-wheeler cut him off on his motorcycle, he was going 60 in a 30, but it was the truck driver's fault. I watched him grab the dude out of the cab by his belt and punch him in the stomach like 7 times. They wanted me to fire him but it had nothing to do with work, he was driving back from lunch.

But everyone hates him and tells me not to allow him to be in meetings, because he takes over and is a dick to everyone.

Not saying that you're exactly that type of dick, but you get my point. ;D

This is me except most people like me that I know cause I’m not that much if a dick but out in public I am a major dick cause I’m just looking for assholes so I seem to be one as well but I’m always just trying to right wrongs. But yeah I feel like me and this fella would get along hahah.

robcguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2023, 02:35:00 PM »

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2023, 02:50:40 PM »
I agree with Henda
X2 Rob`s a great guy.

I also think my wife doesn`t love me.....at least not like she used to anyway.....fuck it,I feel like I don`t need anyone anyway

Lone Wolf Of Peace !!

robcguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2023, 03:30:19 PM »
X2 Rb`s a great guy.

I also think my wife doesn`t love me.....at least not like she used to anyway.....fuck it,I feel like I don`t need anyone anyway

Lone Wolf Of Peace !!

Thanks Wes, I feel like lone wolf here as well.

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “Billy’s taking Art? What the hell for?”
« Reply #73 on: February 19, 2023, 03:53:32 PM »
Rob is the man around here and in the gym. Also, cut him off in traffic, and he’ll jump on your hood. The fucking man

robcguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2023, 04:22:37 PM »
Rob is the man around here and in the gym. Also, cut him off in traffic, and he’ll jump on your hood. The fucking man

Hahaha woohoo. Thanks Rambone. I have been on many a hood hahahah.