Author Topic: Tips from the MountainDog  (Read 2912 times)

Dave D

• Getbig V
Re: Tips from the MountainDog
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2023, 03:54:53 PM »
Fair points, but it just makes me sad for his kids and wife.

I do get that he had an otherworldly level of dedication to bodybuilding, but I think he should have focused on healing his heart after his heart attack.

But I get it - that probably wasn't possible for John. I understand that.

John was not a doctor.  His focus wasnt on healing muscle it was on building bigger muscles.

He was trying to get his heart stronger and a blood clot killed him.

My nephews 43 year old father passed away from a heart attack/stroke combo. He was not a bodybuilder.  People die.

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal at Buc-ee’s
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2023, 04:01:46 PM »
John was not a doctor.  His focus wasnt on healing muscle it was on building bigger muscles.

My nephews 43 year old father passed away from a heart attack/stroke combo. He was not a bodybuilder.  People die.

Bbing and lifestyle had everything to do with meadows death, I bet his family thinks the same

But on getbig and the bbing world, steroids and PED have nothing to do with it, it’s all underlying conditions, or natural causes

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2023, 04:07:36 PM »
Like B. Shaw, Meadows' income was dependent on staying visible on social media.

A million bucks only throws off 40-$50K a year.

Do you think Shaw would stay relevent if he dropped to 270 and did not compete anymore, not even in his own Shaw Classic?

So, this is one reason these guys keeping pushing it.  They have families to support.

That $40-50K income on $1M in cash would be a very secure investment. Basically risk-free - like a GIC.

There is no reason why Shaw shouldn't have been able to accumulate $2.5M in cash. With that, we're talking about a $100K guaranteed income just sitting on your cash. It would be a bad year for me if I was only making $80K, and that only took about nine years of me literally banking everything I made, and living close to the poverty line.

I knew if I did that for 7-9 years, I could generate a comfortable living off my savings alone, and I did.

I don't see any reason why Shaw should be making any less than $100K per year just off his cash - and just doing social media, he should be able to add a solid additional $100K to that figure.

Shaw should have been told that Strongmen have no shelf life and planned for this eventuality.

I just feel with good financial planning, Shaw should be able to live comfortably for the rest of his life, essentially doing nothing but social media - or even literally nothing at all. And if he trimmed down earlier and kept his health [that may be impossible at this point], he could have been able to just enjoy the fruits of his legacy and spend the next 30 years with his family.

But now, I would be surprised if Shaw gets another 15 years. I hope I'm wrong - but being 420-lb at 6'8.5" at 41 years old just doesn't bode well for longevity.

Ultimately, he lived life on his own terms, and at one point, was possibly the strongest man to ever live - but I think he could have done all that without continuing to tax his body and central nervous system precisely when he should be protecting it - specifically, by the time he placed 6th at WSM in 2019 at age 37, he should have regrouped, entered 1-3 slightly lower tier pro shows, won them, and retired with fans still thinking he had more WSM wins in the tank if he chose to come back.

Then, just like Ronnie Coleman and Georges St-Pierre, he could talk about making a comeback for 3-4 years, and milk a bit more sponsor money that way.

I don't mean any disrespect to Shaw - ultimately his mentality made him the champion he is - I just feel he pushed his body at a critical junction [age range] that may make it impossible for him to reverse the damage he caused by competing at the highest level of Strongman. And I feel that every year that passes, he is making it that much harder for himself to reverse said damage.

Eddie Hall was more cognizant of the risks he was taking to his health by being 400+ pounds, and chose to retire from the sport after he won the WSM promotion just one time. I think that is the right approach for elite Strongmen.

I'm in no position to judge - I would just sincerely prefer that Shaw not die young. For his kids. His wife. His fans. And of course - for himself.

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2023, 04:15:54 PM »
Like B. Shaw, Meadows' income was dependent on staying visible on social media.

A million bucks only throws off 40-$50K a year.

Do you think Shaw would stay relevent if he dropped to 270 and did not compete anymore, not even in his own Shaw Classic?

So, this is one reason these guys keeping pushing it.  They have families to support.

Dante "Dogg Crapp" Trudel let it slip that he was earning about $300,000/yr from the coaching and youtube end, and it had been like that for a number of years. The family also got about 250,000  and change from the gofundme.

People still kick up even now - https://www.gofundme.com/f/john-meadows-mountain-dog-memorial-fund?utm_campaign=p_cp+share-sheet&utm_medium=copy_link_all&utm_source=customer .

He had a good sense of humor, one time everyone here was saying he looked like shit, and he popped on, and said "well at least you don't think I'm a retarded guy like some of the other boards".

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2023, 04:16:44 PM »
I met Meadows at the Pittsburg Pro in 2014.

He was tiny, but also in contest shape.

We had rooms a few doors down.

He was flexing in the elevator due to the lighting early in the morning with his wife.

I've never seen skin so thin, he looked like granite.

But like hanky, he was the size of a child next to me. And i'm not joking. ;D

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2023, 04:25:00 PM »

I have seen some young deaths over the years - like the mother of the mogul of the local grocery empire that I shop at. She literally died last night at 11:30PM, and couldn't have been over 60. Heck, she may have been under 60. And she lived comfortably as a housewife for decades, and from what I know, had a very healthy lifestyle.

Sometimes an early death is in the cards for us - like Ironage Getbigger billycarp, who died around 2006, and was only 37 or 38.

I thought Art Atwood had the constitution of a horse, yet he died at 37, meanwhile John Goodman will be 71 in two months, and was 456-lb at 6'2" or 6'3" in 2007 at age 55, after being a bad alcoholic for 30+ years.

Then you have John Candy, who was around the same height and weight, who died at 43.

It's interesting to think just how much these things may be out of our control and just in the cards. Some people live to 80+ while smoking 2+ packs a day with COPD and diabetes [my friend's step-dad] while a 22-year-old I went to university with died of pancreatic cancer in 2004, eight days after going to the hospital with a stomach flu.

It's very strange to me, how wholly unpredictable this stuff is.

But I just feel at SOME point, no human being can live long, no matter how robust their genetics are - and I think being 400+ for 15 years on a massive amount of PED's would take out anyone.

I get it though - people die. And it doesn't always make sense.

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2023, 04:26:57 PM »
Of course it was the gear that killed him, he made impressive gains late in his career and the only way to do that is really step on the gas.  I know he trained his ass off but let’s be real here, he was on big time dosages ….. He had that “all drugs” look to him too.  I don’t think you look like this off only 1-2g.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • "Woke is a cult." - Joe Rogan
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2023, 04:32:44 PM »
I highly doubt these guys are making as much bank as claimed.

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2023, 05:45:05 PM »
I highly doubt these guys are making as much bank as claimed.

If they really hustle, they should be able to make $3,500 twice a month from appearance fees. That's $84K a year just there. They can make $100K on social media from a combination of platform ad dollars and private sponsorship ads. Then there should be $100K in prize money from winning the WSM or Arnold and another big show. Then they may have a main supplement contract that pays at least $100K.

For comparison, Tony Huge implied that he was paying Big Ramy on the order of just under a million per year for his contract.

So they SHOULD be able to make $500K annually, on top of any customized diet programs they sell, autographed photos at booths/expos, books or videos [fewer of these today, with the internet], and other revenue streams.

IMO, there is no reason the VERY top guys [top 3-5 in the world] who are at that level for a decade or thereabouts shouldn't be ABLE to have at least a million saved. If they invest in rental properties - even better.

And it would only take $2.5M at 4% to earn $100K per year.

But a lot of them probably just spend it as they make it. So it would probably not be wrong to guess that most of them are poor.

And if they are outside of the top 10 in the world, most have a full-time job. Strongman is a lot like bodybuilding in this respect.

Dave D

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2023, 05:57:48 PM »
Bbing and lifestyle had everything to do with meadows death, I bet his family thinks the same

But on getbig and the bbing world, steroids and PED have nothing to do with it, it’s all underlying conditions, or natural causes

I agree that the bb lifestyle had nothing to do with his death.

He likely died from a broken heart due to less than average penis size.

No amount of bodybuilding, or lifestyle drugs, can add even a centimeter to your genitalias.

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2023, 06:56:44 PM »

No amount of bodybuilding, or lifestyle drugs, can add even a centimeter to your genitalias.

Somehow this info escaped me.  I'm now being forced to re-evaluate John's unfortunate demise. 

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2023, 07:26:04 PM »
I was thinking about this post dunkin donuts wrote last night, about how Brian Shaw's self-abuse triggers DD:

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=684313.msg9986565#msg9986565

Then I saw this post, and got to thinking about how the screenshot of John Meadows below triggers me.

Meadows is making light of being hospitalized...as if such a scenario is funny in any way.

Meanwhile - dude died of a heart attack.

"A-a-ah! I'm lying on a gurney pretending to have a heart attack, honey! Take a good picture! I'M DEAD!"

Given that he has passed away now, I should just be respectful and continue to offer my condolences.

But no.

This photo triggers me and makes me angry at John precisely BECAUSE he died. He was only 49 years old with a wife and twin teenage sons. He was a millionaire, and had NO REASON to continue to push his body - especially after his heart attack the previous year. He should have quit all PED's immediately, and focused 100% on a diet and training program to improve his heart disease. Instead, he stubbornly chose to still push his luck...until his luck ran out very shortly after.  :( >:(

On the topic - do we know whether or not the vaccine played any role in John's death?

Him getting off the juice would have made no difference, the damage was already done
A

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2023, 07:29:46 PM »
Him getting off the juice would have made no difference, the damage was already done

Great post, Vince.

If that is the case, then staying on and enjoying a higher of life for his little remaining time was the most appropriate course of action.

Do you feel nothing at all could have been done?

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2023, 07:51:41 PM »

Silly statement Vince.  You have no way of knowing that.

Dave D

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2023, 08:06:18 PM »
Silly statement Vince.  You have no way of knowing that.

You're questioning the good doctor?

If Vince said John died from a shattered heart due to his genital size you would have zero doubt he was correct BUT when he offers his medical opinion you challenge him?

You are out of bounds Abraham.

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2023, 08:41:44 PM »
You're questioning the good doctor?

If Vince said John died from a shattered heart due to his genital size you would have zero doubt he was correct BUT when he offers his medical opinion you challenge him?

You are out of bounds Abraham.

That's why I'm grateful to have you on board to reel me back in.  Thanks Dave.

Bevo

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2023, 08:49:13 PM »

Meadows was less than average, maybe something to do with his death, Bostin Lloyd was the same, both met early demise, it has a lot to do with it than we know

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2023, 09:05:00 PM »
Meadows was less than average, maybe something to do with his death, Bostin Lloyd was the same, both met early demise, it has a lot to do with it than we know

Bostin had the most pathetic cock the bb world has known since Tom Prince. 

Hendrixian

• Getbig II
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2023, 09:30:34 PM »
Bodybuilders would rather be dead than small, they don't give a fuck about their families. Dude had a heart attack and kept juicing, I would go off gear, stop eating meat, do lots of cardio, I don't know, something would had to change. Very hard to feel sorry for him.

Flexacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2023, 10:10:29 PM »
Bodybuilders would rather be dead than small, they don't give a fuck about their families. Dude had a heart attack and kept juicing, I would go off gear, stop eating meat, do lots of cardio, I don't know, something would had to change. Very hard to feel sorry for him.

I don't think the "juicing" after the heart attack was the main issue. He dropped to genuine TRT doses and pointed out that going completely off would probably be worse for his health. He was probably right.

He had a low ejection fraction and the option of an ICD implant (similar to Palumbo?) which I believe he refused. He claimed he felt fine and kept hitting the weights and sought out a doctor who was basically giving him the answers he wanted to hear.

He didn't really seem interested in changing his lifestyle and shrinking down in order to give himself the best chance of extending his life. All good if that's how he wants to go out, but pretty selfish considering he had a kid. In that regards it's hard to feel sorry for him.

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2023, 10:22:11 PM »
I don't think the "juicing" after the heart attack was the main issue. He dropped to genuine TRT doses and pointed out that going completely off would probably be worse for his health. He was probably right.

He had a low ejection fraction and the option of an ICD implant (similar to Palumbo?) which I believe he refused. He claimed he felt fine and kept hitting the weights and sought out a doctor who was basically giving him the answers he wanted to hear.

He didn't really seem interested in changing his lifestyle and shrinking down in order to give himself the best chance of extending his life. All good if that's how he wants to go out, but pretty selfish considering he had a kid. In that regards it's hard to feel sorry for him.

So a person can have heart issues like that, and feel basically nothing wrong?

Flexacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2023, 10:42:26 PM »

They can feel normal at rest (with medication) but fatigue easier doing physical activity.

For Meadows his baseline "feeling normal" probably wasn't that great to begin with anyway.

Bevo

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2023, 11:16:31 PM »

Competitive bbing is a mental illness, majority isn’t making any money and juiced to the gills

Even for the ones making money, most can’t accept slimming down, their fragile ego and small cocks don’t allow them to be “normal”

Look at even Jay, almost 50 and wants to go at it again, all fucked in the head

GymnJuice

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2023, 04:16:41 AM »

Maybe he died from an arrhythmia that the ICD would have shocked him out of.

Flexacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2023, 04:38:06 AM »
Maybe he died from an arrhythmia that the ICD would have shocked him out of.

From what I remember it was reported he died in his sleep because of blood clots, but he did also speak about being worried that his heart would stop in his sleep and that would be the end for him.