Author Topic: partial reps?  (Read 1280 times)

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
  • here comes the hotstepper!
partial reps?
« on: April 29, 2006, 01:14:05 PM »
how beneficial are they?  ??? int eh big scheme of things? i do lots of squats..i feel they're the best for overall development..but sometimes i felt like i never really hit them hard enough even after 13 sets yesterday..so i tried the leg press machine for the first time in awhile...even with my knees wrapped after a certain point it started to hurt.  Once i found where i could go down to a certain point without it getting painful i set the machine's stop.  after that i did set after set of heavy leg presses...i would come down a little past 45* on my knee angle then hit it again..i ended up with 8 sets going all the way up to 1000lbs for 10 reps.  my legs were screaming..but did i really accomplish much of anything?  how do they fit into over all leg development?

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Re: partial reps?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2006, 03:08:00 PM »
Partials can be more effective than full ROMs; try both full sets of partials as well as some partial reps after reaching failure. Partials can create growth faster and avoid injury by focusing on the sweet spot of the motion that pays the biggest dividends and blast through sticking points where full ROMS won't. What you experienced with the leg presses.

Good examples of exercises that are actually better using partials. Can also try using different parts of the ROM as the partial:

-Box squats, going down to about parallel-better than full squats, from my experience.

-Preacher curls-leave out the very bottom and top of the motion, both to avoid straining the tendons/elbows and to keep the tension on.

-Flys-don't go right to the top.

-Hacks-don't lockout at the top.

Etc.

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2006, 04:58:30 PM »
how beneficial are they?  ??? int eh big scheme of things? i do lots of squats..i feel they're the best for overall development..but sometimes i felt like i never really hit them hard enough even after 13 sets yesterday..so i tried the leg press machine for the first time in awhile...even with my knees wrapped after a certain point it started to hurt.  Once i found where i could go down to a certain point without it getting painful i set the machine's stop.  after that i did set after set of heavy leg presses...i would come down a little past 45* on my knee angle then hit it again..i ended up with 8 sets going all the way up to 1000lbs for 10 reps.  my legs were screaming..but did i really accomplish much of anything?  how do they fit into over all leg development?
my knees kill me when i move to presses after squats and i found one thing that helps me is simply taking a little more rest between sets on presses, i usually do 4 or 5 work sets on squats after warming up with leg extensions and my knees are fine on squats but that first set of presses is torture but when i take a little more time between sets they don't hurt much and i can get more reps, try that out.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2006, 07:26:31 PM »
My calves never grew until i started to just work, the top of the movement.  Seated calf Standing calf.....only the top. As a result i could lift insane amounts of weights.
 Then stretch hard in between sets.  Opens the fascia sheath.