Author Topic: No hack squat machine  (Read 2596 times)

AMNIMAL

• Getbig II
  • IRON addict for LIFE
No hack squat machine
« on: April 30, 2006, 12:28:24 PM »
The gym I belong to does not have a hack squat machine (I know, it's ghetto). Is there any exercises that I can do to simulate the same effects? I was wondering if stepping out in front of a smith machine would put similar stress on the quads and build the sweep you get from a hack squat machine? Any suggestions?

buffbong

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Re: No hack squat machine
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2006, 12:46:29 PM »
yes do the real version of it load up a heavy barbell on saftey racks of a power rack step in front of the bar with the bar behind your but grip it and let it hang down behind you and squat.

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2006, 12:51:49 PM »
don't do Smith squats with the feet out front all that does is build your ass and hips, do some front squats those hit the sweep just as well as hacks if you combine them with regular squats.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

AMNIMAL

• Getbig II
  • IRON addict for LIFE
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2006, 01:01:44 PM »
yes do the real version of it load up a heavy barbell on saftey racks of a power rack step in front of the bar with the bar behind your but grip it and let it hang down behind you and squat.

Sounds like a good way to get hurt! :o

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2006, 01:05:58 PM »
Sounds like a good way to get hurt! :o
it's a dumb movement the problem is you can only handle so much weight after you get over 275 it starts getting very hard to hang on to the bar, just do regular squats and front squats with different foot placements and leg presses and your legs will get big.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

SLYY

• Getbig IV
  • A mug only your mom could love...
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2006, 01:19:44 PM »
Time to do front squats....

Saskbb

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2006, 03:38:41 PM »
Time to do front squats....

I agree with front squats, but work on doing them correctly!!!!  Full range of motion and first start with a weight you can handle.  99% of people in a gym don't know how to squat to really develop their quads.  For you first few sets I would even suggest a smith mach. for safety but it good to mix it up between a rack and a smith mach.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2006, 06:25:24 PM »
Try a Smith machine or any other squat machine they have for hacks & front squats. Bring some lifting straps for the hacks. Some guys like Smith front squats better than the free weight version.

xavmaster

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2006, 12:18:02 AM »
My gym doesn't have one as well haha. Front squats are good  ;D

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2006, 08:21:11 AM »
Might try BB Hack squats with the heels raised on a 2" board (or BB plates, etc). Better focus on the quads.The bar is held behind the back and the bar (weight) is in more of a direct line with the lower back & legs. Can also think of the BB Hack as a form of a reverse DL.   With a Smith you have to follow the path of the machine it's self rather than your  natural strength curve/index when using a regular BB. Points of muscle weakness or undo stress can occur when a lift becomes static or can only be preformed in a certain exercise groove. Though a Smith Machine can be usefull, some trainee's have gotten unneccesary injuries through the use of it. When the poundage begins to go up, than the potentional of undo muscle stress could develop. The squat & bench comes to mind when using a Smith, as maybe a concern for some people. Good Luck.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2006, 11:56:41 AM »
i know its been beat to the ground, but all you really need is REGULAR BARBELL SQUATS.