Author Topic: Amateur Pain  (Read 1587 times)

Brixtonbulldog

• Getbig V
  • TAKE YO FUCKING JACKET WIT YA
Amateur Pain
« on: April 30, 2006, 07:38:58 PM »
I would say I'm a bodybuilder but I do a lot of powerlifting as part of my training.  Lot's of cleans of various kinds, squats, deadlifts, and if I'm feeling frisky even some good-mornings.  But for the last month I've taken it pretty easy cause by lower back has been real stiff.  So I'm takin it easy and when I went to train today I still had a little soreness and stiffness.  I'm real strict on form to the traditional standards is there anything else I'm missing?  What helps with back pain for a lifter? 

XmanX

• Getbig I
Re: Amateur Pain
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2006, 07:42:42 PM »
Do leg press instead of putting 400 pounds over your spine with squat. And do quarter deadlifts off power rack above the knee, instead of bending over and snatching the weight off a precarious position for lower back injury waiting to happen. This is what I've adopted and lower back pain is gone also, I've increased mass, by using heavier poundages on leg press and quarter deads.

Brixtonbulldog

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2006, 07:47:19 PM »
Good advice but I was hoping to avoid dropping the staple powerlifting exercises. 

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2006, 08:16:34 PM »
I don't think you should forget about doing squats and deads, after all, they are 2 of the best mass building lifts out there, if not the best period.

I twisted a vertebra in my lower spine a while back and now to protect it I've altered my training habits a little to make sure it stays healthy. For example, I prefer squatting every leg day, but now every 3rd w/o I'll leave squats out and rely on other lifts...when I say I leave them out I'm referring to standard squats, I'll typically throw in front squats after some heavy leg press on this day.

As for deads I don't do these off the floor as often as I used to but now do them off the rack...I usually only do them off the floor once per month.

Doing things this way my lower back has remained in tact and I've still continued to grow and progress. So as long as this continues to work and I'm injury free I'll stick to this.

BTW I also wear a belt on most of my squat and dead lifts...I used to never wear one but I do so now as a precaution. I honestly do not know if this really helps that much or not and I've read reviews promoting both ways, but if you've ever had a back problem and don't want to give up lifting you'll do anything to make sure it stays healthy.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2006, 10:17:31 PM »
I think the last guys' advice is spot on,  try switching up every 3-4 workouts. The belt thing is a case by case. A tight belt will preimpact the lumbar and could cause injury. Thn there are guys who where it all the time. A buddy of mine was squatting and snapped a rib with a little over 6 on the bar, with a belt. I only use it for my max lift on deads. I guess that up to you.

Someone explain how they do partials on the deads. I go full from the ground. I'll try lift-offs from the cage with well over max weight without wraps. I do this every 4th workout.  I'm assuming your lifting off a rack with a box.
L

brianX

• Getbig IV
  • Kiwiol has 13" arms!
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2006, 10:51:00 PM »
Nothing will help with the back pain. Squats and deadlifts destroy lower backs.
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2006, 08:08:43 AM »
I have had 2 herniated disk a few years back (more to do with injury in corp than weightlifting). but the pain got so bad and there were times it was like being hit with a cattle prod i would just fall down, my doctor told me to give up lifting with free weights and lifting heavy and after the pain continued and got worse and i could not do the silly ball and other rehab stuff anylonger, i went back to training smart and slow and steady.

long story short i had to change somethings and always keep and a watch on my back but now i am back to doing deads over 400 (its not allot but im old and broken :) and squatting same. i tend to use a belt only after warm ups and a couple of light sets, i always include hyperextension (unweighted) as part of my warm up everytime i lift regardless of what i am doing, and make sure my form is locked and ready as well as avoiding body language on partials or extra reps.

you have only one back and if you blow it out young rushing up the weight to impress your friends its a long term problem.be smart and controlled, good luck.

Brixtonbulldog

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2006, 08:54:57 AM »
Great advice guys.. I think I'm gonna start using a belt on deads only and cut the good-mornings out of my routine.  I still think my form is good so I'm just gonna cut down on the total number of days I train with these exercises in a month.