Author Topic: for those of you that wonder about straps...  (Read 3283 times)

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
  • here comes the hotstepper!
for those of you that wonder about straps...
« on: May 03, 2006, 06:10:27 AM »
dont...and do yourself a favor and spend the five bucks for a pair! i have never hit my back so hard as i did last night while using straps during the exercises as they got tougher! some lifts went up 45 lbs in weight or more! give it a shot! best 10 bucks ever spent in the gym!  :D

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
Re: for those of you that wonder about straps...
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 06:30:05 AM »
dont...and do yourself a favor and spend the five bucks for a pair! i have never hit my back so hard as i did last night while using straps during the exercises as they got tougher! some lifts went up 45 lbs in weight or more! give it a shot! best 10 bucks ever spent in the gym!  :D

But in 6 months when your grip is weaker than a 3 year old because you over use straps...straps are like belts are like wraps if you use them to much you suffer.

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 06:32:19 AM »
only used them as it got tougher to hold onto the heavier weights.. ;)

like the hammer strength machine..my grip usually fails after any set requiring more than 4 plates...last night i had 5 plates for two sets with using the straps!  :D

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 06:48:15 AM »
Im not saying there a bad idea but i personally would rather work on strengthening my grip seperately then add more weight to bak exercises,may take a while longer but in the end il have strong bak and grip.

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 07:03:39 AM »
only used them as it got tougher to hold onto the heavier weights.. ;)

like the hammer strength machine..my grip usually fails after any set requiring more than 4 plates...last night i had 5 plates for two sets with using the straps!  :D

good for you i feel the same about deadlifts and only use them after i get to the last set.

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2006, 08:26:17 AM »
Be sure to invest in a nylon, or like material, pair when buying straps. The heavy cotton, or poorly made, one's don't last that long and will tear apart after heavy use. Straps are not a crutch like a lot of people would what you to believe. They can be a very valueable tools when using extra heavy weight for a last set or two. Might also consider using chalk on the hands, with the straps, when going  for extra max loads. I do when doing partial DL's, shrugs & short range pulls. Invest a few more bucks for a quality pair of straps. Good Luck.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2006, 08:31:35 AM »
This is a good post. I use em on my normal work reps for deads. I managed to get 3 reps at 465 without em last back workout. After that I was done and did my 80% max sets with em on. The lift feels completely different. I just did it to see where I was. To really avoid what AS was saying  I do lift offs in the cage and try and go for three sets of max plus 20% or so. I do this once a month. I also work forearms. I don't use the wraps for anything else. Shrugs, pullups  etc. I have to agree with Davie. I think you have to find that fine line between grip strength and really targeting the muscle group. AS has 6 years on me and old man muscles so he can afford to lay off the straps. Take that Devil Doggg.
L

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2006, 08:36:48 AM »
Be sure to invest in a nylon, or like material, pair when buying straps. The heavy cotton, or poorly made, one's don't last that long and will tear apart after heavy use. Straps are not a crutch like a lot of people would what you to believe. They can be a very valueable tools when using extra heavy weight for a last set or two. Might also consider using chalk on the hands, with the straps, when going  for extra max loads. I do when doing partial DL's, shrugs & short range pulls. Invest a few more bucks for a quality pair of straps. Good Luck.

I use the Harbinger ones that have a piece of rubber or padding so your wrists only kinda look like dog shit after your done. I use chalk for everything. I won't use gloves so it really works. My current gym is in a clamshell and the temp will get over 120 at some point. Right now its 90. Everybody will have an opinion on this one, should be interesting.
L

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2006, 08:54:58 AM »
This is a good post. I use em on my normal work reps for deads. I managed to get 3 reps at 465 without em last back workout. After that I was done and did my 80% max sets with em on. The lift feels completely different. I just did it to see where I was. To really avoid what AS was saying  I do lift offs in the cage and try and go for three sets of max plus 20% or so. I do this once a month. I also work forearms. I don't use the wraps for anything else. Shrugs, pullups  etc. I have to agree with Davie. I think you have to find that fine line between grip strength and really targeting the muscle group. AS has 6 years on me and old man muscles so he can afford to lay off the straps. Take that Devil Doggg.

damm just minding my own and somebody takes a head shot, thankfully he's in the army and missed.:) and here i was all proud of myself for pulling 405 in a cage for a few reps without straps(also 2 bad disk in my lower back, sympathy pause) and Hunter comes in with 465 from the ground, dammit i hate younger guys :) really i think straps can become a crutch if used to much or to fast and then you become dependent on them and your grip suffers then when your out and really need to use your grip (moving something heavy for a lazy friend) you can't and get called all show and no go type of lifter.if you do most of your back work sans straps trust me it will be better in the long run. but that being said i never go to the gym and lift without my gloves because i don't like my hands all beat up and i know my wife dosent so yes i am a puss sometimes.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2006, 09:19:16 AM »
I think I'm going to get them.  I'm currently stuck in neutral with my barbell shrugs and it's because the grip goes, not because of the traps.  And in fact it distracts me from my focus on the target muscle group.

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2006, 09:20:52 AM »
lol its why i use gloves...

tired of my girlfriend bitching about how rough they were...

now all nice and supple!  >:( :D ;)

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2006, 09:48:19 AM »
I hate posting lift score because you get guys like Onlyme who knew Kaz etc and I sound retarded. Deads are my best and I just did it a few days ago and I was amazed it went up. I really work the cage with the lift-offs and its helped. It's kinda cool to throw 600lbs and lift it half a foot or so. It gives you all kinds of respect for powerlifters and what they do without straps. AS youir a good man, don't let anybody tell ya different.

Fellas' i can't wear gloves, i hear ya but I'm proud of my calluses. My wife doesn't complain. She likes to rip my lack of calves or horrible quad development but not my hands. Go figure. I'd go so far as to say gloves are gay but alot of you guys are bigger then me, have a good, un. 
L

HERACLES

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2006, 07:34:25 PM »

Omg Wwelcome to last CENTURY! LMAO!!!!

Sorry, maybe you just started training..thats cool.. Yeah, I cant train back without straps. I only use it for shrugs, chins, barbell rows, and dumbell rows..

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2006, 05:51:46 AM »
i was always against them when it came to the forearm issue...but when i wans't feeling like i ever hit my back due to my grip always giving out on me early...i considered it

and i worked my back tuesday and it's still sore! so i'm thinking it was a good choice  :D

Beefy

• Getbig II
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2006, 05:54:40 AM »
Lose the straps and get some chalk.  Your grip WILL catch up if you allow it to.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2006, 06:08:24 AM »
Best forearm training ever:  Work back and shoulders without straps.  One thing I do is alternate.  I use straps for a few weeks, then I train without them for a few weeks.  Yes, I can handle less weight without them and my back and shoulder training may suffer a little, but my forearm size and grip strength go through the roof when I don't use straps.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2006, 06:45:36 AM »
Lose the straps and get some chalk.  Your grip WILL catch up if you allow it to.

That's my thought on it...i guess it really depends on what you are training for. i have used straps in the past for shrugs and high rep deads but i refuse to use them now. my grip has caught up.

Gloves are for gardeners but whatever floats your boat...i've never had a women bitch about my hands, she's more occupied with something else.

8)

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2006, 06:56:16 AM »

Gloves are for gardeners but whatever floats your boat...i've never had a women bitch about my hands, she's more occupied with something else.

8)

yea i guess the thing shes worried about is getting away from the rapist with the rough hands....

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2006, 07:24:56 AM »
yea i guess the thing shes worried about is getting away from the rapist with the rough hands....

if she's worried about my hands she's not worth my time...many of us use our hands for a living as well.

8)

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2006, 07:36:36 AM »
if she's worried about my hands she's not worth my time...many of us use our hands for a living as well.

8)

its the caring and consideration in your response to women that touches my heart :)

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2006, 08:58:36 AM »
Beefy: It's not so much the grip catching up with the weight. But the going beyond the ability of the grip, at a given moment. Which could be considered overcoming the weaker link of the exercise. When you shrug with 600, but have trouble gettin more reps because of grip slipping, than the focus is directed to weither the grip will hold up, rather than on the shrug it's self.  You are limiting the trap/back muscles of their lifting potentional. Because chances are your capable for doing 620-630 for reps. Which in turn can equal more muscle/strength development.  Chalk (or rosin and other tar bases...all nasty stuff) work well but not to the extent that straps do (for double insurance I use chalk with straps.) The grip will catch up to the weight that you had trouble with sooner or later. But why wait when you could use 630 rather than a limited 600 for trap development? After all, straps are just a tool in lifting. Touble is, a lot of guy's get addictive to their use and  rob themself's of a powerfull grip in the long run. Good Luck.