Author Topic: i have phenomenally weak curling strength  (Read 2540 times)

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
i have phenomenally weak curling strength
« on: May 04, 2006, 11:43:36 AM »
i dont get it, on any curling movement i am absolutely weak as hell.
the thing is, i can do shitloads of pullups, even weighted, and my rowing strength is good as well, but specific biceps curling movements i havent got any stronger on in probably 4 years.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
Re: i have phenomenally weak curling strength
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 12:19:40 PM »
Might be overtraining your biceps...they are the most overtrained muscle in most people.

what does your workout split look like?

8)

WhiteHulk4

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 01:08:03 PM »
Actually, it's always been my experience that you can train biceps much more frequently than other, larger bodyparts.  I would try upping the frequency.  Try doing biceps after legs and after chest - if you're split allows at least 2 days in between those two.  If you're having trouble building strength in your biceps, then you don't want to train them after your back - cuz they'll be half spent by then.

Also, make sure you're using perfect form and a full range of motion.  Doing so may actually make you have to use lighter weights "at first", but it will pay off in the end.  Too often I see twirps trying to curl more weight than I would ever try, and they're just using all kinds of momentum to get it up.  Meanwhile, I've got huge arms using half the weight.

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 02:10:29 PM »
You didn't say if curling exercises were helping the bicep size. Strength the main issue? Might try  half rep BB curls. Curl a BB up to the half way position and than down again. Do a couple of sets and than take that BB and start from the completed position of the curl and lower the bar half way down and than back up again to the starting position. After a while you should be able to build up to some pretty heavy weight in these half way curls. 

Could also try the one and one half curls, something like the above but as a complete movement. Curl a bar all the way up and than lower it half way down. Come back all the way up again and low the bar all the way down to the original starting position. This would be a 1 & 1/2 rep. Either one of these exercises should add strength as well as size to the biceps.

Try a few set's of reverse BB curls, a very strong bicep builder along with regular BB curls. Good Luck.

blondmusclhunk

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 02:11:45 PM »
Dont sacrafice good form either. 

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 02:27:46 PM »
Feel free to sacrifice "good" form, including full ROM's, on the alter of muscle progress. Cheating, partials  and a looser style can work wonder's to get really huge. And that's what it's all about. There are times for strict and there are times for a looser style. Good luck.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2006, 09:48:47 PM »
The responses are interesting on this. Everybody has a different opinion and nobody is wrong either. I find biceps boring. I think mine are severly overtrained and have dropped them from my workout. I hit them now, every 4 weeks. I think they get trained well enough for mass while doing everything thing else, atleast in my routine. To try and build the peak, if thats possible, then i think you need to really fine tune the program but i'm not concerned with that. I think for mass you can cheat but i would follow JPM's advice, Seems to be a good why of jump starting growth, i'm gonna try that next time myself.
L

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2006, 09:50:33 PM »
yeah i think it depends on what youve been doing for them.....do the opposite. say ouve been doing heavy weights...go a bit lighter for more reps.   say youve been using perfect form...cheat a lil beat on your last few reps.
d[-_-]b actin all cool

brianX

• Getbig IV
  • Kiwiol has 13" arms!
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2006, 12:43:13 AM »
Don't be afraid of using a little momentum on barbell curls. Machine curls seem to help too.
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

benchthis

• Getbig V
  • operation deep throat
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2006, 01:57:35 AM »
it happends find a new hobby

Cold

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2006, 02:39:38 AM »
there really isn't any quick fix. bicep strength takes a long time to build up. be patient brother

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2006, 03:09:58 PM »
You didn't say if curling exercises were helping the bicep size. Strength the main issue? Might try  half rep BB curls. Curl a BB up to the half way position and than down again. Do a couple of sets and than take that BB and start from the completed position of the curl and lower the bar half way down and than back up again to the starting position. After a while you should be able to build up to some pretty heavy weight in these half way curls. 

Could also try the one and one half curls, something like the above but as a complete movement. Curl a bar all the way up and than lower it half way down. Come back all the way up again and low the bar all the way down to the original starting position. This would be a 1 & 1/2 rep. Either one of these exercises should add strength as well as size to the biceps.

Try a few set's of reverse BB curls, a very strong bicep builder along with regular BB curls. Good Luck.
sounds good...i guess ill give this a shot next time

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2006, 03:36:56 PM »
Also, when you are doing the pullups and rowns be sure you are extending your biceps completely rather than just doing short little jerky movements.

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2006, 05:59:06 PM »
Think of your biceps as mountains and they are getting bigger and bigger with every set! Visualize!
just push some weight!

shiftedShapes

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2006, 06:51:24 AM »
the secret to stronger biceps is to do heavy chins (not pullups but chins, you know with palms facing) work up to a weight that only allows you to get 2 or 3 reps before failure.  Lower with control but contract explosively.

You will get stronger no problem.

-sS

blondmusclhunk

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2006, 07:14:48 AM »
I train bis once a week heavy only three excercises. Ive had great results.  Some guys barely train bis and have huge arms.  Remember you hit bis somewhat when you work back.  I usually train bis with back so that they get the most rest until I train them again the following week. But switching up your routine is a must. In order to shock them into new growth

HERACLES

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2006, 01:11:35 PM »
DOnt worry about weight.

Train for the pump and the feel of the muscle. I know a top amateur where I train, dude sometime does drop sets down to the BAR! just pumps them out, his arms are HUGE! Its more about ISOLATION than movin BIG WEIGHT.

Some guys are HUGE and they dont lift upser heavy weight..just make sure your getting a good pump- and stimulating the biceps..

Hell, If I start with barbell curls, I only work ou to one 45lb plate on each side, for 4-6 reps..then Ill drop that down to the 25 on each side and brin them out.

Then I move to Seated dumbell curls, 45lbs, 55lbs, and maybe 60lb... usually ill stay with 55lbs

Then i go to preachers. I just keep the 25s on both side, and do lots of reps, 3 quick sets.

Then its to double bucep concentration curls, jus tlots of reps..

hope this helps..