Author Topic: Best cardio machine?  (Read 1959 times)

Manthus_X

• Getbig II
Best cardio machine?
« on: May 04, 2006, 06:16:51 PM »
Hey,

im lookin to invenst in a cardio machine and I can't decide which would be best.

Currently ive been thinking about a bike, rowing machine, or a Ellipitical. ive got a old bike but I generally go running as its an old bike. obviously I could save a few bucks and ride my real bike or continue running but id prefer to buy something stationary. Ive heard elliptitical are the best, but ive yet to try one.

Money doesn't matter, what do you think is best and why?

Geo

• Getbig IV
Re: Best cardio machine?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 06:19:45 PM »
there is no best really there's only a preference

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 06:22:16 PM »
Question's kinda broad, here are a few:

-Precor elliptical

-Arc Trainer, Cybex

-Stairmaster - PT7000 stepmill's one of the most rigorous on the market, or get one of their steppers, also excellent.

-Versa-Climber-a little like a stairmaster but with more upper body motion involved-right there with the stepmill.

-Running 1-2 miles daily.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 06:28:15 PM »
Question's kinda broad, here are a few:

-Precor elliptical

-Arc Trainer, Cybex

-Stairmaster - PT7000 stepmill's one of the most rigorous on the market, or get one of their steppers, also excellent.

-Versa-Climber-a little like a stairmaster but with more upper body motion involved-right there with the stepmill.

-Running 1-2 miles daily.

I concur on all of these.....

but as Geo said....whatever your preference is.

The best piece of cardio is:

"The one you use & use consistently"

Manthus_X

• Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 08:59:27 PM »
heh heh thanks... The problem I have with bikes is that im not moving my upper body at all, at the end my legs are wipped and my upper body isn't worked at all... Obviously there not meant for gaining but I just don't like the feeling on a bike of not doing anything at all with my upper body. Is it not the same with a stair master? The main pro of a stair master is it helps work calves which is a  problem area for me.

Ive heard lots of good things about elliptical trainers and that there best for full body movements... Thats the only prefrence im looking for is full body motion, or as much as bossible.

X

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 09:24:50 PM »
heh heh thanks... The problem I have with bikes is that im not moving my upper body at all, at the end my legs are wipped and my upper body isn't worked at all...

if you're lookin for cardio to be a "workout" you need to reevaluate what you're doing

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2006, 10:28:52 PM »
Some models of ellipticals will provide arm movements, but it's still not the main thing. The main thing with ellipticals and stairmasters is the vigorous use of the largest muscles below the waist, which has huge effects on the entire body.

Basically you have to go in to a gym or store and try them for a few minutes each.

A bike, unless the intensity is something along the lines of Spinning classes, is not quite as good as the others mentioned. In most cases I've used it as a supplement to other forms of cardio. It's not the lack of arm motion as much as the fact that the user is seated.

Manthus_X

• Getbig II
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2006, 10:44:42 PM »
I said obviously its not meant as a work out... but a bike is still lacking... maybe it is because its a seated situation rather than standing. Ill go try some in a store, I think ill go with eaither a stair or a elliptical... Maybe ill go get a day pass at a gym, the store I usually buy my weights from is a warehouse type store so they don't have much in forms or set up and try...

X

runnerbabe

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2006, 06:00:02 AM »
-Arc Trainer, Cybex ----hands down.

Allows for a lot of and variable settings and angles-- gives a super great workout.

Personally, I'd invest in a pair of running shoes... they're cheaper and portable!  ;D

Good luck!

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2006, 07:01:38 AM »
find some hills near your home or at least a football stadium for the stairs, get a military issue backpack fill it with something heavy and you will find the fresh air and view much better as well as the extream cardio workout from running uphill with a pack.thats why you never see fat marines.

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2006, 09:14:08 AM »
Might consider Interval training, if the goal is for maxium fat burning/muscle sparing in a relative short time. The stamina (endurance+strength) is also gresatly increased, all leading to a outstanding cardio workout. The VO2max (aerobic capacity) is upgraded to a much higher level, which would suggest that the body has the ability to burn fat even as it's at rest during the day. Any machine is not required, though a machine does have it's advantage. Can accomplish much in the way of cardio training with just a BB, DB, jump rope or just bwt weight exercises. Running (sprints) come to mind also. Usually Interval training is along the lines of 20 second maxuiym effort with a 10 second rest period to follow. And than back to another cycle of 20 second max effort, rest, etc. 4 to 8 cycles are the norm for these workouts. Different Interval systems very some in length of intense muscle action and the shorten rest period between each. Tabata, Tremblay and HIIT protocols are a few of these interval training programs. Good Luck.

Manthus_X

• Getbig II
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2006, 12:22:02 PM »
hmm...  Maybe ill just continue running then... try it with some weights or interval traning. I guess that would be the best idea considering I work away from home most of the time, half the time im out in the middle of no where so obviously running would be ideal. haha I just like to spend money and I figured rather then getting another machine or something I would get a cardio machine, well that and my family could use it as none of them will go running outside.

Maybe ill still get one, ill see how it goes for while before deciding.

X