Author Topic: MAn my lower back  (Read 5487 times)

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
MAn my lower back
« on: May 10, 2006, 08:20:05 AM »
Iv had probs wi lower right back for a while on and off, physio mate of mine thinks it could be ligaments. Its usually fine after static weight lifting (gym work), but staerted to hurt more after and a little during rugby games,the season is over now so iv got sumemr to work on it and hit the gym hard, i squatted the other day and front squatted today, seemd fine but now im getting these pains in lower bak and down into my right ass cheek, i mean if i bent over quiet quickly i would just fall over.
So weird, most if not all of the time i can do all gym work no probs, i do cleans etc aswell with no after effects, nut after having the pains a cuple weeks back i missed last weeks rugby (last games of the season) and i though it was better,now im in pain again.
What the heck is this.

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

YoMamaBeenLurking

• Getbig IV
  • The Black Knight
Re: MAn my lower back
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 08:58:05 AM »
Iv had probs wi lower right back for a while on and off, physio mate of mine thinks it could be ligaments. Its usually fine after static weight lifting (gym work), but staerted to hurt more after and a little during rugby games,the season is over now so iv got sumemr to work on it and hit the gym hard, i squatted the other day and front squatted today, seemd fine but now im getting these pains in lower bak and down into my right ass cheek, i mean if i bent over quiet quickly i would just fall over.
So weird, most if not all of the time i can do all gym work no probs, i do cleans etc aswell with no after effects, nut after having the pains a cuple weeks back i missed last weeks rugby (last games of the season) and i though it was better,now im in pain again.
What the heck is this.

davie

Sounds like a herniated disc and pressure on the sciatic nerve.  Not a doctor here, just someone who has dealt with this before.

And if your back is hurting, I would not be lifting until sorting out exactly what the problem is.

BKS - Guardian of Truth

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 09:06:42 AM »
It just weird, i mean i was fine in gym,not sore after....then few hours later it started to hurt,bad. and now its pretty much ok again,little pain but not much.i dont think the weights are effecting it much, it seems to be the rugby and running tackling,lifting etc etc on hard ground.
Iv got alot core work to do over summer to try stregthen hole area and the wee muscles u dont c.

davie

YoMamaBeenLurking

• Getbig IV
  • The Black Knight
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 09:16:05 AM »
It just weird, i mean i was fine in gym,not sore after....then few hours later it started to hurt,bad. and now its pretty much ok again,little pain but not much.i dont think the weights are effecting it much, it seems to be the rugby and running tackling,lifting etc etc on hard ground.
Iv got alot core work to do over summer to try stregthen hole area and the wee muscles u dont c.

davie

BINGO 

If it is the sciatic nerve and the pressure on it gets bad enough you may experience your entire leg going numb/pins and needles all the way to your toes.  Not fun and will last a while before it gradually goes away.  Don't try to self diagnose.  Go see a doctor or a chiropractor.
BKS - Guardian of Truth

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006, 10:55:48 AM »
Iv got physio mate of mine who said sumthinalong lines of siatic. He told me to not play last cuple games of the season so i didnt,iv got all summer to rest it from tackling running on hard ground etc, so it will hopefully go away.

+ with core work im doing hopefully that will help.

davie

YoMamaBeenLurking

• Getbig IV
  • The Black Knight
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006, 11:21:18 AM »
How is your range of motion?  Can you bend, twist, etc?
BKS - Guardian of Truth

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2006, 12:15:44 PM »
Bro normally im fine, i mean i can still heavy squat if i wanted to, and actually last week i light squatted and it eased off. but every so often i can b abd for no reason,feel it in calf aswell, tho not pins and needles,its justa afeeling im aware of.
Wen its fine i can touch toes etc easy,iv got good flexability, but wens its bad no i cant.
Its kinda uncomftorble at the mo in my side and right ass cheak.

I wanna have really good summer in gym and have target sof putting on sum good weight for next season.

davie

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2006, 12:17:20 PM »
If it is nerve etc ur reffering to,how are they gonna treat it so i cant get back to lifting????

I mean i can still do upper body (apart from bent over rows,but can ealiy switch to machine rows) ....but its lower body work im gonna have to be careful with,maybe switch squats to leg press etc.

davie

YoMamaBeenLurking

• Getbig IV
  • The Black Knight
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2006, 12:42:58 PM »
Like I said I'm not a doctor...I just know one thing for sure, lifting heavy objects, or running, jumping, horseback riding, going on rollercoasters, jetskis, etc. is not a good thing when you're dealing with back issues. 

We all have goals, however would'nt you like to know what is going on if anything prior to flying headfirst into the gym?  You may be doing more damage to the injury while trying to fulfill your growth and sports goals.  And by doing so, you may end up far worse off in the long run. 

Seriously, if it is still hurting for more than just a few days, go get checked.  :)

BKS - Guardian of Truth

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2006, 01:36:36 PM »
cheers bro, what is usully the treatment procedure for sumthing like that??

davie

YoMamaBeenLurking

• Getbig IV
  • The Black Knight
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2006, 02:25:23 PM »
I can only tell you my experience.  For me herniated disks led to 6 months of chiropractic and yoga of all things once I got some mobility back.  From there I got back into weights, cardio, and drill training.  My emphasis had/has always been functional strength.

A year later I stepped back onto the field only to find out that the days of shedding tacklers, and taking over a game were over.

That was over 10 years ago.  Looking back I probably had no business playing competitively for as long as I did.  I'm just thankful that today I'm virtually pain free most of the time and can still train or toss a ball around, run etc.  Now it's all about staying in shape so that my kids can wear me out. :P

BKS - Guardian of Truth

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2006, 03:09:25 AM »
What wer ur syptoms for a herniated disc??

I really really dont wanna be off weights rugby at al, and was really looking foreward to good summers training (planned diet training progrm etc).Dam hope i just need rest or physio.

davie

YoMamaBeenLurking

• Getbig IV
  • The Black Knight
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2006, 11:22:46 AM »
What are the signs of a herniated disk?

When part of a disk presses on a nerve, it can cause pain in both the back and the legs. The location of the pain depends on which disk is weak. How bad the pain is depends on how much of the disk is pressing on the nerve. In most people with herniated disks, the pain spreads over the buttocks and goes down the back of one thigh and into the calf. Some people have pain in both legs. Some people's legs or feet feel numb or tingly.

The pain from a herniated disk is usually worse when you're active and gets better when you're resting. Coughing, sneezing, sitting, driving and bending forward may make the pain worse. The pain gets worse when you make these movements because they put more pressure on the nerve.

People with painful herniated disks often try to change positions to reduce the pain. You may have found that holding yourself up with your hands while you are sitting helps the pain. Shifting your weight to one side may also help.

From - http://familydoctor.org/341.xml
BKS - Guardian of Truth

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2006, 01:23:44 PM »
Reads like sciatica from a disc injury to me. If you're really, really, really lucky it'll be piriformis syndrome instead. Probably didn't hurt initially because all of your stabilizing muscles were tensed up from the workout, especially the front squats.

No chiros in england, a DO might be able to perform a manipulation and some physio. If the pain is from the disc hitting the nerve roots, they might give you an anti-inflammatory. It could also be from one of the joints near the disc too. Either way have it looked at. Use ice, some rest but keep moving walking will keep the joints from stiffening up on you too badly.

True sciatica is actually pretty rare. If it is piriformis syndrome (the piriformis muscle lies over the sciatic nerve and can put pressure on it if there's severe spasms) a deep massage and mobilization could probably help a lot.

Best of luck

Jake

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2006, 02:57:59 AM »
Cheers guys, it kinda sounds like what 'YoMamaBeenLurking' described it as.

Its weird b/c i can go and do upper stuff easy i just make sure i do machine rows instead of bent over barbell etc.
Its lower stuff hence reason im doing leg press instead of squat over summer

+

Im gonna get more physio and massage, and i use regula heat bags throughout day and that kinda helps, recently its felt worse wen iv first woken up until i move about a bit.

davie