Author Topic: Chins vs. pulldowns!!!!!!!  (Read 5558 times)

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Re: Chins vs. pulldowns!!!!!!!
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2006, 05:10:55 PM »
Both are good, alternate from time to time or do both. The advantage with chins is that it's much harder to cheat; with pulldowns it's relatively easy by just leaning back. If the back's kept straight and a lot of weight's used, the effect is similar yet different enough that it's good to do both.

buffbong

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2006, 06:01:25 PM »
pull ups chin ups v-handle close grip pull ups  nothing better than those...

bigtmoney

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2006, 07:30:32 PM »
I prefer chins too, I feel it in my back more.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2006, 07:42:55 PM »
i do 50 weighted pullups(usually in 4 sets) and then do lat pulldowns.
some form of pullup is best but you can also get a great stretch from pulldowns. i like doing both of them, then doing cable rows. your lats get so pumped you feel like dorian yates lol

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2006, 01:57:49 AM »
I like doing the pulldowns to the front first and then to the back, they work differently... If I am having a strong day I might finish the workout with a couple of sets of pullups with just body weight.

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2006, 03:00:21 AM »
i think i'm gonna start doing them again at the beginning of my back workout, i'm 230 though, i'll just do as many sets as it takes to get to 50.

I used to do that.I could only do 3 when I started...it was embarassing at first but I didn't care...it worked and I eventually worked up to 10 - 12 per set instead of 3 and eventually added some weight to a belt.I think chins are far better than pull downs.

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2006, 05:05:39 AM »
Hey guy, my gym (one of thoughs gyms that caters to the masses) doesnt hav chin up bar, so im stuck with pulldowns. iv been doing them shoulder widtht o the front, and sometimes closegrip palms facing me to the front??

When doin pulldowns do u think u should look foreward and keep bak straight,or look up more arc top of back just a little? Does looking up and arc-ing head back a bit not naturally bring sholder blades together (everyone is sitting at their computer trying this lol) which is what u want wen doin pulldowns??
Just wandering??

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

blondmusclhunk

• Getbig III
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2006, 10:21:31 AM »
I mix in chins every other workout. 

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2006, 01:07:55 PM »
Hey guy, my gym (one of thoughs gyms that caters to the masses) doesnt hav chin up bar, so im stuck with pulldowns. iv been doing them shoulder widtht o the front, and sometimes closegrip palms facing me to the front??

When doin pulldowns do u think u should look foreward and keep bak straight,or look up more arc top of back just a little? Does looking up and arc-ing head back a bit not naturally bring sholder blades together (everyone is sitting at their computer trying this lol) which is what u want wen doin pulldowns??
Just wandering??

davie

time to find a new gym!!     ;D

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2006, 03:18:25 PM »
Ok....apart from the obvious answer of finding a new gym. What did u think about pulldowns question??

davie

DarthNemesis21

• Getbig II
  • The darkside makes you stonger.Gives you focus!
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2006, 03:34:06 PM »
I do chins to warm up.Then get down to buiness w/the weights.If I cant get on the pull up bar.I go to the power rack.Set the pins high.Then put the bar on it.Hell.I'm gonna be using it for BB rows & deadlifts.So I've laid claim to where I'm gonna train for awhile.Then I move on to pull downs if there on the itinerary.Hope this helps. 
give in to the darkside

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2006, 03:34:59 PM »
Ok....apart from the obvious answer of finding a new gym. What did u think about pulldowns question??

davie

I thought you were going to find a new gym because you we're "just wandering"    ;D

kicker

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2006, 04:36:32 PM »
Like someone said, alternate every once in awhile between chins/pulldowns.  Personally I've had better results with pull-ups rather than chin-ups.

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2006, 04:59:14 PM »
IMO chins are way more effective that pulldowns [well at least for me :D]

Being a bit of a wimp, I never did chins at all. Last year I started doing them and after about 6 months my back had made more progress than it had in the previous 5 years.

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2006, 05:13:24 PM »
IMO chins are way more effective that pulldowns [well at least for me :D]

Being a bit of a wimp, I never did chins at all. Last year I started doing them and after about 6 months my back had made more progress than it had in the previous 5 years.

But you're a girl..
just push some weight!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2006, 01:52:30 AM »
i think i'm gonna start doing them again at the beginning of my back workout, i'm 230 though, i'll just do as many sets as it takes to get to 50.

Ditto.  I'm about the same weight and I do them at the start of back day most workouts.  Fifty reps.  I don't think you have to do one or the other.  I consider pull-ups and chins a staple. 

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2006, 02:24:03 AM »

I thought you were going to find a new gym because you we're "just wandering"    ;D

haha fair point mate,didnt think my post ws being read so intently lol.
Im not intending to find new gym at mo so have no option but to stick wi pulldowns.

davie

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2006, 04:04:13 PM »
pullups (weighted) gets my vote, once you get to 10 reps, increase the weight

HERACLES

• Getbig IV
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2006, 07:21:56 PM »
Both! Chins first, then dig deeper with lat pulldowns to the front..my back workout..

*Chins
*Tbar rows in corner or Deadlifts
*dumbell rows
*cybex reverse grip rows
*lat pull downs

I try to do chins every workout, eventually though they go stale..this happen to anyone else? where I dont get a pump from the movement anymore..then i just dont do em for a while..But i revolve the rest of my back workout constantly..