Author Topic: Press behind neck  (Read 1042 times)

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Press behind neck
« on: May 12, 2006, 05:10:55 AM »
Hey guys, reently been having lower back probs and to allow me to workout out as heavy as i can over summer (rugby off-season) i am staying away from exercises that put pressure on lower back,which sucks b/c all thoughs exercises are my favourites e.g. back/frint squat dead (both regular and SLDL), cleans,snatches and clean press. Also gonna do machine rows instead of bent over BB. im determined to have good sumemr and get sum weight on so im not gonna let this efect me!!

About the PBN, i find with machine press,DB press adn standing/seated militery press, that when weight gets hard (last couple reps) u tens to arc back a bit, which with a dodgy lower back is sumthing im trying to avoid. I tought i would change and do seated Press behind neck (if i have workout partner), i dont lower it so it touches base of neck/top of spine, i lower bar until arms break 90 degress, about 1/2 way down the bacxk of my head, I was thinking that this way there shouldnt be pressure on back of neck+with the PBN u dont round back.

What u guys think????

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
Re: Press behind neck
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 01:11:19 PM »
if you have a bad low back then you can still do virtually everything you'd normally do... just watch your back....   ;D

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 01:49:57 PM »
With any kind of standing BB overhead pressing (PBN or Front) that may have a negative affect on a bad arch to the small of the back, place one foot ahead of the other a few inches. Also bend the knee's slightly during the press. Not to help the press it's self but to relieve the stress on the lower back arch.  Sitting, while pressing overhead, could cause more troubles to the lower back area with regards to that arch. If you have a pressing board (when sitted) to brace the back during pressing than so much the better. Can also have a Bud brace your back with his knee or hands. Might also consider doing some GM'ing for extra insurance towards a strong lower back. 

A friend of mine sit's on the floor (with his leg's straight out in front of him) and clean & presses a pair of 120lb DB's overhead for 7-8 easy reps.. His back is always straight. Fairly impressive in my view. I've heard of some old time Olympic lifters doing stuff like that. Tommy Kono was very strong pressing overhead while sitting the story goes.. Goood Luck.

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 03:16:52 PM »
Thanks guys.
The bench i sit on for shoulder pressing has a back to it that comes all the way up to about 1/2 way up my head. so im trying to push my lower back into that during the PBN movement.
Im gonna try it, and may even try trhe sitting on teh floor movement that JPM mentioned,sounds interesting haha.

Your buddy must be very strong do lift that weight from a seated on the floor position, sounds very hard as u cant xplode up!!

davie
It isn't the mountains ah